Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / HATE (56k warning)

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 12:50
Quote: "Once the engine is finished I might throw in a bunch of rabbits with uzis, or gun fighting potatoes or something"

Now there's an original idea! You should be doing the community comp I set! You could call it "Ears of War" or "Metal Gear Spud"!! (joking obviously)

I really like the style you went with on Bushido Shuffle and it would be cool if this game had a really original style too!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 18:31
Baxslash.

Ears of War, that's hilarious. In our house it's dubbed "Years of Bore" because it's the most antisocial game to play with other people around.

I agree with the style comment. I feel that DB isn't really suited to doing large games with AAA or at least high end graphics. There are projects out there using bloom and Normal mapping and all that, but I rarely see them get finished.
So that really means that hate is either going to have the late 90's graphics it has now, or I can simplify and stylise them like Bushido, and the more I think about it (and the more comments I get about it's un-originality) the more I think that I probably go in a totally different direction with the style... I'm considering using the old graphic style I had for Grand Theft Retro in this. But we'll see.

Right now I'm hot on Bushido. Been working hard on the story and the world of the game, and Kris has come up with some lovely new elements to it, that are starting to flesh out the game. Which is obviously more exciting than coding score systems in this. So it's not on hold, but I am going to be looking hard at the design and trying to work out a style and gameplay that is a little more original than it is at the moment!

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 09:59
Quote: "I'm considering using the old graphic style I had for Grand Theft Retro in this"

That might work but I'm thinking maybe a combination of the two might work. I don't know if you've seen "Storm Hawks" but that's kind of the style I'm thinking would suit this game (both the characters and the rendering style).

The characters are rendered with a thin toon outline (which might be acheived using a toon shader or an inverted model) and have a kind of 'Manga' style.

I've been wanting to do a game with characters styled in this way for a while but I think 'Hate' could benefit from it more than any of my half baked ideas (Battle Bikes is one of them http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160017&b=8)!

jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 10:03
Butter fingers,

Let me start saying that Hate looks amazing!!!! I can't wait to play it.

It is great that you have implemented such a good cover system, I think that it is very hard to do, so congratulations, it looks very very good. I coded a cover system myself but only for static places, not any place like you did what for me it is amazing. Please explain us how you did it

Regarding similarities with GoW... It would be a compliment for me, as an indy game designer, if I receive a critic saying that my game looks like one of the best games of the genre.

Best regards

JF
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm considering using the old graphic style I had for Grand Theft Retro in this."

That would be great. I do very much think that going for a distinctive, stylised look would be a very good idea - not only would it make the game seem more distinctive, but I think a deliberately simple and "different" sort of look is far more impressive than a less-polished "generic" look anyway.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 22:30 Edited at: 25th Feb 2010 22:31
What about a style similar to this? That is what I call unique...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-adventure-3d-dot-game/58825

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 11:15
well that was inspiring. Thanks Green7.

I love the style there, I love it when games have a style that looks like a grown-up version of the Sega Genesis or SNES.

That's certainly alot closer to the kind of thing I'm thinking of!

I want robotic legs.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 17:19 Edited at: 26th Feb 2010 17:19
Looked very cool!

However it reminded me more of say the original zedla made of Legos. Like, if I were playing with legos to recreate the game.

Awesome. I would so buy that.

I would recommend changing the style to be super stylized if you've got the time. You certainly don't need to, your visuals work fine and are VERY decent (with good art direction for the levels, they'd be great. And art direction does not require polygons), as in I would be happy to play such a game. But it injects a freshness into the game, and can put you on even grounds with big name developers without the budget or hardware. Also, there is so much room to be creative like. that Not like Bushido, that is great, but works only in 2D as I'm sure you know. You'd need grey scale, or be really clever about it. Like the characters could be silhouettes if they were clearly defines but their guns were bright colors, then the landscape could just be black outlines, and maybe white or red fill or something. hmm. It would be really cool if the fill could changed. Also, if characters were silhouettes, showing their health would be super easy, as you could have the color of the character be the health, like black full, red of something dead. Would still be different than Bushido, but close. There are so many ways you could go, stylized just means you're created a very distinct feel with the visuals or experience as a whole, though it's most used if the feel is really radical and loud in one direction. Quiet Stylized things don't get called stylized as much...

Just a stream of thought, up there for grabs. I know what hell it is to game something look great in DBC, and it's not much better in DBP. If you're interested, I can throw some ideas at you for style, or some sketches for art design. But you did very good with Bushido, not sure you need the help. If when you get back into this you're interested, let me know.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 00:53 Edited at: 27th Feb 2010 01:16
Man, I wish I could show my opinions like that.

I sound like an inconsiderate douchbag or idiot if I do... Never mind your game looks great and I'm a complete idiot.

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 22:00
@TheZachadoodle, give it time man, you'll get good at it eventually.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 03:27
Looks really cool.

Are you going to release the engine / development tools for this after your game comes out?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 10:37
Quote: "Are you going to release the engine / development tools for this after your game comes out?"

Very possible. although taking this from an inhouse development tool to something an end user could operate is a pretty major task in itself!

I'm definately going to do some development tutorials, but I kind of feel like I've taught myself DB and that I probably do alot of stuff totally wrong!

I want robotic legs.
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
I suspect I speak for a lot of people here when I say that if you're doing it wrong, I'd rather be wrong like that than right.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 14:44
LOL

Yeah I wish I was that 'wrong' at using DBPro!

Anyways butter fingers might want to consider becoming a dedicated engine programmer after this. He can always get someone to make some tools which can help developers use the engine more efficiently.

I really like the way the view changes when the action heats up.

In a slightly unrelated note, I love the scene in Aliens when the marines start getting owned and not allowed to use explosives near the reactor but Vasquez laughs it off and shouts "LETS ROCK" whilst opening fire which serves as a catalyst for the others to sort themselves out. The video just reminded me of that for some reason.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 07:29:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 07:29:40