Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Tier 1][WIP] IronGun!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 23:30 Edited at: 1st Mar 2013 12:12
This is a single / multi-player game I'm making for fun. So far it's relatively basic but you can have 2 player split screen battles and the single player mode is testable for now. I've got a fully destroyable arena / maze and there will be a number of weapons and other pickups eventually. I decided this would be a nice simple side project I might actually finish and I thought I'd share progress. My space game was a little too boring and annoying in the long run whereas I always love blowing stuff up (it calms me)...

Anyway I'll be sharing a slightly better demo soon but here's a slightly out of date version: https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2437682

...and some screenshots of the current version (just added shadows since the demo):

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 23:31 Edited at: 26th Feb 2013 23:31
Second screenshot of splitscreen game:

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 23:52
Nice

Would look even better if you used tiles of various shapes (using images with transparent parts) to make the holes less square. Create an algorithm that put these broken tiles in the holes, around the edges. But don't check for collision on these, leave that as it is.

Demo 3 is out now!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 06:02
Reminds me of Robot Wars and anything that reminds me of Robot Wars = GOOOOOD!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 07:35 Edited at: 27th Feb 2013 10:12
DA, I like the idea but one of the reasons this runs fast at the moment is the fact I'm using so many none transparent tiles. Currently only the smoke and explosions are transparent and I get a good framerate on every device.

I'm actually thinking of making the transparent tiles (as they are blown into tiny pieces) none transparent too to speed up even more. The main reason for this is that I have a lot more to add and the effects of the weapons should outshine the rest of the scene in the end. Also I want to test the limits of how many players can play at the same time

MrV, when I start adding other weapons (IE rocket launchers that will slide out of the side of the tank) it will look even more like Robot Wars)

EDIT: Here's an image that shows how I'm breaking my map tiles up depending on the strength and position of an explosion. I'm breaking each tile into four that is within the range of the explosion and continuing until they are under a certain size. If they are under a certain size I then turn them into dynamic tiles. Later I have a further enhancement to add where I will be making the map from larger tiles too but that's probably not necessary.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 11:25
Sounds like an interesting project

Demo 3 is out now!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2013 11:29
Really cool bax

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2013 12:11 Edited at: 1st Mar 2013 12:11
Thanks Cliff I've decided to call the game "IronGun". Splash screen below.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2013 15:15
Sweeeet

Demo 3 is out now!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like this has a lot of potential, and reminds me of many hours spent playing Combat on the Atari 2600 back in the day. My favorite games are those that support local multiplayer; they seem to be a dying breed.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2013 08:07
Thanks xCept, I've started adding pickups. Some are in but here is the full list:
Deflector shields
Proximity mines
Homing missiles
Health
Laser sights
Speed boost
Air-strike
Flame-thrower
Oil-slick

There are a few more as Hodgey has been helping on the ideas and testing front but these are the main ones I'd like to see in there.

Local multiplayer is a must as I'm making this to play with my kids, but I'd really like to set up a server and add online multi-player at some point if only to learn a little php.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2013 17:40 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2013 17:41
Love it bax!

The smoke looks really nice - would you mind sharing how you implemented it?

EDIT: Would love to see a little video of this.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2013 19:14
Love IT ! Looks clean and professionnal. Finally a game which looks like ... a game
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2013 20:50 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2013 13:11
Ched80 i'd be happy to share the media and code for the smoke, I already did somewhere let me look it up. I'll make a video soon.

Thanks MikeMax

EDIT: Smoke example and media attached.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2013 09:31 Edited at: 4th Mar 2013 09:31
Some screens of the pickups I've added so far:
(Laser sights, Proximity mines, Speed boost, Health, Deflector shield)

Attachments

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
A great looking game, I don't often find time to look at the AppGameKit boards, but this grabbed my attention. All of the additional weapons remind me of an old games from the late 1980's called Battlecars. Which in my opinion is a good thing.

Good luck with it,

SC
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 04:42
Looks pretty cool so far, keep up the good work - I'm interested in seeing how this turns out!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 11:52
Thanks. It doesn't look like I'm going to finish this any time soon unfortunately. I keep trying to get a little work done on it but it's not easy...

I'll have another blast at it when I have a clear run.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 10:09
I hope you can keep working on this project bax. Lets hope you find that clear run.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 10:40
It doesn't help that I broke the code and forgot what I changed... having a bad week

I started changing lots of things at once and now not only does it crash when I close the app but my tanks fly around like crazy... occasionally. That's the key work "occasionally". Bugs like that make me want to crawl under a rock and eat mud.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 11:13
I always test everything I code, even the smallest thing. Sometimes I break down updates into smaller steps and test. And I always backup my project, once or twice a day. Previous experience have taught me to do it this way. Nothing kills a project like lack of time. I hope you don't give this one up.

Demo 3 is out now!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 11:17
I normally do too but one of the updates involved replacing a bucketload of code that I couldn't test in between each little bit. Basically I realised that it would be better if all of my players were lumped into the same array rather than using a udt object for the current player (or two for splitscreen) then have an array for everyone else. So basically I ended up changing code throughout the project just to get it compiling again. It was an early design error that I should have considered. I guess I'm just not used to doing multi-player games...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 12:22
Ouch, that's massive. A lesson learned for next time. Multi player looks easy but tend to mess things up. And are often harder to test. I tried it once.

Demo 3 is out now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:39:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:39:50