Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2 Alpha 2

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 19:04
I've uploaded a new alpha version to the product download page for AppGameKit 2 backers. It contains the following bug fixes

We still don't recommend using this for production as it's still very much in the testing stage. Please let me know here if you find any bugs.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 19:52
Thank you Paul.

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 21:01 Edited at: 16th Jan 2014 21:08
Fantastic, I have downloaded and tried it, Spine seems fine now .

I was wondering if Spine objects will be able to interact with physics objects ? or if we would have to make invisible sprites to do this ?

Thought I would share a wee project and perhaps get some fixes and improvements ? (Find Attached)

I am playing with Sound Memory blocks, What I have made looks nice, but I don't think it is very accurate and does not
display stereo.

would be nice if someone with more knowledge of .wavs could change this or create their own program to

1)Be accurate for any WAV (stereo or mono, etc.)
2)Display Stereo, if needed

I think it would make a useful tutorial.

also any chance of a Create Memblock from MP3 ? (If you don't ask you don't get )

anyway, looking good and thanks for the update.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 00:02
Awesome, many thanks.
miki
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
any chance of recordsound() functionality in the "next alpha"

regards,
miki.

in the end
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 09:50
Hi Paul

I get a "Could not understand Command at line 41" error when I try to build your Spine Example in alpha 2.

It is related to "SetSkeleton2DBoneRotation( 1, head, angle# )"

Tim

I never want what I know.
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 10:26
Timshark

change it and another one to

SetSkeleton2Dboneangle( 1, head, angle# )

and it should work fine.

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 04:00
Hey Paul !!!!!!

Thumbs UP My Man

GOOD JOB!!

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 04:04
Not sure if this has been answered or not.
But does V2 have a discount at release for people who bought the first one?
Like an upgrade price? Cheers.

Back to support reloaded
- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department
- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 12:11
Great, now we can focus on getting this working on OUYA so I can start doing some tests

bstebbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 15:15 Edited at: 18th Jan 2014 15:17
I downloaded the new v2 Alpha 2. I tried to run the Spine example project and when I compile it, I get an error that it could not understand line 41. That line of code is:

SetSkeleton2DBoneRotation( 1, head, angle# )

Any ideas why this is happening?

DISREGARD. I just noticed the other post that provided the answer. I made that change and it worked.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 22:07
@Rampage,

I think you can still back the project to get your discount and the alpha / beta releases:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2350

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 23:21
I am trying to run some examples and I come into the following error:
Failed to create XAudio2, make sure your version of DirectX is up to date[/quote]
2 questions:
- my DirectX version is 11. Is it not up to date enough?
- does AppGameKit use DirectX for sounds and not OpenAL?
- the sounds work anyway?
Is it something we have to worry for?
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 23:32
I believe that PC versions use DX - and you will need DX9.0c to get XAudio2 module. Paul did say that V2 would eventually migrate to OpenAL.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 23:57
Any chance (at some point) of support for SQLITE in AGK2? Would make things a lot easier with RPGs and the like...?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 00:29
@Jammy

That worked!

Tried to export the spineboy with Mesh-deformation (ffd). It was just added to Spine (They are really working rapidly by implementing the kickstarter 2 goals). If you key a deformation the sprite will be invisible in agk. But I guess this will be added later agk 2.

Thanks Paul, transparency is fixed for my machine.

- windows 7, 64 bit
- amd radeon 6490m - graphics
AND
- Intel 4000

works on both

HAPPY NEW BUG!

cheers

Tim

I never want what I know.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 10:06 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 07:03
@BatVink, yes I see how it works now. I'll pass for now - just thought existing users of AGKV1 would get a further discount

Thanks!

Back to support reloaded
- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department
- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 12:48
Apps compiled on Windows (at least 7) are not stable. I have tested my SudokuWare app, and it crashed in the middle of gaming (executed from the AppGameKit IDE). Here are the results:

The AppGameKit IDE reports the following error (I have already seen it somewhere):
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 15:53
The drawBox() and drawEllipse() commands works fine for me now. Thanks for the fix.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 16:58 Edited at: 21st Jan 2014 16:59
I did some more testing with the Alpha 2 version and found a bug that crash my program on exit depending on how many sprites I've created.

Here's a test program that crash on exit if the variable maxSprites = 999 (Process terminated with status -1073741819). If the variable maxSprites = 99, then it won't crash on exit.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 18:50
Quote: "I did some more testing with the Alpha 2 version and found a bug that crash my program on exit depending on how many sprites I've created."

Thanks for the example, I found the problem and it has been fixed.

Quote: "I have tested my SudokuWare app, and it crashed in the middle of gaming"

This could be related to the above crash, if you use DeleteAllSprites it would cause the same problem. Otherwise I'm not sure what it could be.

Quote: "Failed to create XAudio2, make sure your version of DirectX is up to date"

Try downloading the latest DirectX runtime here. DirectX 11 doesn't come with all the old DirectX 9 files.

Quote: "- does AppGameKit use DirectX for sounds and not OpenAL?"

We use DirectX for audio on Windows and OpenAL on all other platforms. OpenAL on Windows would require everyone to install it so we'd have the same problem with people missing OpenAL
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 20:46 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 20:46
Just a few quick questions:
Is sprite shader support working yet?
I'd really love to add some motion blur to our sprites so animation still looks good at 30fps.

Also, is openAL currently used on Android and iOS with 10819?
Does openAl mean we can use OGG instead of MP3 on iOS and Android?
If so it would potentially save me $2,500 and that would make me sooo happy.

Cheers!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 21:10
The sprite shaders seems to work they way the should.

Also, would it be possible to actually use the alpha value of the shader color as transparency above other objects. The way it is now (or was in A1 atleast) is that you either have full transparency in the scene (background is vissible behind the sprite, not sprites behind it. Or the alpha value is based on the RPG values of the pixel (with spriteTransparency set to 2)

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 22:24
Quote: "Quote: "Failed to create XAudio2, make sure your version of DirectX is up to date"

Try downloading the latest DirectX runtime here. DirectX 11 doesn't come with all the old DirectX 9 files."

Thanks Paul, I have downloaded the DX from the suggested link, and now no XAudio messages are displayed.
MjG0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 07:29 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2014 07:31
-
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
when i create text, then sprite, all my text turn invisible even if it still has an alpha of 255.

the problem disappear if i create sprite then text.

is this a bug?

it does not happen on v108.21
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 20:00
hey paul....

quick question ... will IAP for ouya be in the official first release of agk v2? and ruff estimate if possible when it will be rolling out.

Im not pushing.... just curious as I have 1 game ready for it and a second very soon.

Thanks.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 21:57
Chmava, can you show the code? Your post doesn't provide enough information to figure out what the problem is.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 11:02
I have have same issue as chmava, this is the code im using

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 17:11
I wonder if the 'Fix<x>ToScreen' does things with depth ordering.

Do you get the same results if you set the depths for the text/sprites such that the text is explicitly in front of the sprite?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 17:42
I think I have the same issue even when changing the depths and I have tried it without using fix to screen with the same result. The weird part is that the alpha value of the sprites is ignored aswell and they are completley non transparent.

I havn't looked into the issue that much because my game and level editor appeared to be crashing randomly with the latest alpha and I need to finish it pretty soon, so I just reverted back to 108.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 10:11
I don't have any downloads for AppGameKit V2 any more...

oct(31) = dec(25)
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 05:00
just checked, and neither do I...

looking at it positively; maybe it means that they have alpha 3 on the way.

Beo6
Years of Service
User Offline
Just checked and i can still download AppGameKit V2 alpha 2 in my account.

However what i wanted to say. For some reason i got no information that alpha2 is ready. Not over email neither over kickstarter. I only accidently stumbled over it when i checked the forums.

I think it would really be helpful to the community if updates are better communicated just like the first alpha version.
Beo6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 12:32 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 15:35
[Sorry for double Post]
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 15:31
Just checked and I still got alpha 2.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 17:00
Quote: "For some reason i got no information that alpha2 is ready. Not over email neither over kickstarter."

Check your spam folder, I'm getting notifications. Try looking around 19 December, 20:00 - 21:00 GMT. I got a TGC and a Kickstarter email.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 17:03
An ETA on alpha 3 would be nice. Also a word on providing a 720p and Play category option for OUYA, on the one click APK build, is welcome. OUYA's game guy has shown increasing interest in RTA and since I can't get Eclipse working, I need a working solution soon.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 19:56
Echoing what SMD_3D Interactive said, I'd be grateful for even a rough timeframe on the implementation of OUYA IAP commands.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Check your spam folder, I'm getting notifications. Try looking around 19 December, 20:00 - 21:00 GMT. I got a TGC and a Kickstarter email."

That was the last AppGameKit V2 update from TGC through Kickstarter, and was only for Alpha 1. Alpha 2 was only posted to a thread in this forum, not announced anywhere. Seems like it'd be a good idea to post updates on Kickstarter to the ~900 members whenever any build is released, since the majority of those backers are not active members on the forum.
Beo6
Years of Service
User Offline
exactly.

That was the e-mail when Alpha 1 got released.

I am mostly awaiting android support since i want to try to make a game project i already did in a different engine however it was too slow for it. And it is always nice too see how software advances after a successful kickstart.
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 17:00
I would agree but I got a email from Kickstarter that they got hacked taking passwords and private info. I think I will stay clear of Kickstarter for now away. They said credit cards where safe. Something like that can wipe a company out.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
Beo6
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't say it needs to be communicated over Kickstarter. However it would be logical since the Alpha 1 was published there too.

There are also Newsletters and such things. Just saying because there was a security hole in kickstarter is no reason for me to be silent about updates.

If it will be done a little bit like the FPS Creator Reloaded i think would already help.

At the moment it looks a bit to me that AppGameKit v2 is a bit of a unloved kid. But maybe the developer(s?) just need to learn from others first in how they talk to the community?
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 10:38
I am surprised by the lack of updates. I'm a proud supporter of AppGameKit, and genuinely think it's a wonderful piece of software, but I've essentially pre-ordered a product with no idea when it'll release.

According to the timeframe listed on the Kickstarter page we should now have 2D enhacements, OUYA and Spine support, IDE and Compiler updates, better 3D features, and physics. And yet we don't have any of these or an update as to when to expect them.

I appreciate that software development is prone to delays but the lack of transparency is extremely disheartening.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "At the moment it looks a bit to me that AppGameKit v2 is a bit of a unloved kid. But maybe the developer(s?) just need to learn from others first in how they talk to the community?"

Yes, which I again find rather unusual considering AppGameKit V2 had more than twice as many backers as FPSC:R on Kickstarter (404 vs. 896, not counting the private PayPal backers). FPSC:R has a daily development blog, it's own newsletter, a constantly updated website, regular Q&As with Lee about the dev process and so on. With AppGameKit V2 we don't get much, maybe a few comments from Paul each month, in which case we've now learned he's been working on the driving theory app primarily rather than the promised V2 features.

Quote: "I appreciate that software development is prone to delays but the lack of transparency is extremely disheartening."

Well, it's not only disheartening but is also pretty much violating Kickstarter's accountability guidelines, which state that developers should ALWAYS be updating the backers on any delays and their cause. They state on their site:

Q: What should creators do if they're having problems completing their project?

A: If problems come up, creators are expected to post a Project Update (which is emailed to all backers) explaining the situation. Sharing the story, speed bumps and all, is crucial. Most backers support projects because they want to see something happen and they'd like to be a part of it. Creators who are honest and transparent will usually find backers to be understanding.

Morally, TGC should send out an email update to all backers and explain how the sole developer of V2 has, in fact, been working on an unrelated app update much of this time.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 23:51
This has been the case with TGC since they launched AppGameKit v1 and probably before that aswell. They start a project but never really seem to finish it. AppGameKit V1 does not have everything that was "promised" I think, one click deploy to android for one and the T1 language is still pretty broken. And with V1 they suddenly started working on Freedom engine which was later abandoned and then they returned to focus on AppGameKit (luckily). They also started FPSCR while still "working" on AppGameKit which is now also sorted out. To me it seems like TGC have a hard time focusing on one project and constantly start new side projects which can't be a good thing, especially with it being kickstarter this time. I sort of feel the same thing with V2 where they are not nearly done implementing the 2d stuff that was promised and they are now moving on to add the 3d features instead of finishing what they started.

The lack of any information about what's happening makes it a lot wrose. Having some form of regular dev-log would cirtainly help with that and it might give us an insigt on what is going on and why and it will cirtainly show that Paul is actually working on something rather than going off on some side project. Also, I feel like the sideprojects would not really be an issue if we got to know about them and why they are being worked on. Freedom engine for example was most likley an attempt to bring in some money to the company on a sort of regular basis but the fact that it came out of nowhere and took all the atention away from AppGameKit for TGC made us as a community hate it, it was probably a really good and usefull idea but it was handled really badly.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 00:36
I think we need to keep in mind one thing, and that's that tgc developed the driving things for focus media, and as such are obliged to offer support. The downside is that the support may mean elements of Agk need to be rewritten. They've already said they made a separate version of Agk purely for this purpose, and I saw that they recently went on offer and so I'm completely guessing here but I assume they may have to down tools to work on that..... And only Paul can. I also backed Agk v2 and so I'm not saying that I think this excuses them, however it is in all our interests I guess that tgc make money and hopefully they are on a commission basis for the driving apps, or at a minimum an aftercare fee. However I can accept that, if what I've said is true, then they are between an especially hard rock..... And another especially hard rock. I'm prepared to be pretty patient, but I do agree at the very least a fortnightly update as to what's happening would be nice.

They've also said that after the fpsr kickstarter failed that an independent funder came to its rescue, which in fairness has probably in a sense forced them into a commitment that is more constrained than the kickstarter perhaps may have been. Again not making excuses for them (least of all as I may be well off the mark lol) just pointing out things to be mindful of I guess.

That said, to put a new spin on it, is there anything the community could do to maybe help? Basic work on a new ide for example? I belive someone recently did a proper one click APK creator the works offline - in theory if that's true, and they are willing, that should be a 20 min job to incorporate??
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 00:48
I do hope Lee will read these posts and take action.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 10:32
I strongly support the idea of a regular AppGameKit V2 developer blog.

Of all the issues people have raised here, I really think the biggest one is transparency. Missed deadlines, development issues, bugs etc. etc. are all par for the course, and are not AppGameKit specific problems. I think the real problem is that we just don't know what is going on. Without this information, it has become really hard for us to manage our expectations or plan for AppGameKit development.

For example, on the Alpha 1 thread, Paul responded to a question about platform compatibility by saying it would be supported on
Quote: "Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and maybe Blackberry."

This is the kind of thing that makes planning really hard. So does this mean that if I'm to develop a new app for Blackberry, I can't use AppGameKit V2 features? Clearly I don't know, and I imagine that TGC don't either. But this is precisely the problem of learning things from scraps on the forum. From this, all I understand is that whether Blackberry will be supported is in question. But what does that mean? Does it mean, "Blackberry will definitely be supported but only after all other features have been implemented" or "Blackberry wont be supported unless we get external funding" or "We will only support Blackberry if it maintains X market share" or "We believe there are technical barriers to implementing V2 features on Blackberry and so we will only be supporting commands that are supported by the underlying hardware" or what? Just knowing these kinds of details would make it so much easier to plan and to manage our expectations.

So please, even if a full blown developers blog like Lee's is too much to ask, even having a regular status update (even just a weekly list of features implemented and targets for the following week) would make this all so much easier. I honestly think AppGameKit is a great product and I really want to support it. Giving us this information would give us the chance to get behind the team in their work, rather than being on their backs all the time about when the next release is coming out.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 13:02
Due to the problems Blackberry has I think TGC are considering dropping the platform as it is too much work for them to keep the platform up to date. BB has been lagging behind for a long time. TGC have already wasted a lot of time on platforms that became obsolete. Considering the current state of AppGameKit the fewer platforms it has the better. Paul has more then enough on his hands without BB. So I wouldn't count on it to ever being supported.

The lack of transparency and updates have been a problem with AppGameKit for a long time. It was great when both Lee and Paul worked on it. They used to post replies to a lot of theads like every 2 weeks or so. Getting my email spammed with FPSCR, a product I have no interest in, is only rubbing it in when there's absolutely no news on AGK. At the current state, even monthly updates would be welcome. Like so many people say, transparency is much better than secrecy. And with Kickstarter, TGC is ruining theirs and AGK's reputation. It's currently impossible for me to recommend AppGameKit to other developers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:10:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:10:45