Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit 108.20 & 108.21

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 03:44 Edited at: 30th Jan 2014 01:05
Version 108.21 is now available from the downloads area with the following changes

v108.20

v108.21
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 04:44
Thanks Paul. If your still working on 108 or even for V2 would it be possible to get a FacebookDownloadUserPhoto() command. I'm working on an app for Facebook and I can get all the users friends' photos but I can't get the user's photo.

Auger
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 09:32
Thanks Paul - Good to know that v1 of AppGameKit is still being worked on.
I notice from the download file name that it no longer has the word BETA as part of it, and was wondering if this was deliberate or an oversight. Hope the final release version won't be too far away.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 13:51
Can we make this a RELEASE, please?

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 16:02
I did convert version 19 from beta to release, but I think the word beta hung around in a few places. I consider version 20 to be stable on Windows, Android, iOS, and Blackberry. Mac is the same except for the video playback commands that have switched APIs. I tested it with a video playback app and didn't see any problems so it should be ok but keep an eye out for any changes in those commands.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
A quick Mac question... if I don't use video playback in my app, using the new 108.20 release, do I need 10.7 version of OSX or can I use any older version?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 17:07
The app should be compiled with the latest SDK (currently 10.9). The lib is set as 10.7 minimum requirement, so to be safe I would recommend using 10.7 as the minimum target for the app as well.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 20:17 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 20:17
Ok, thanks for the info, Paul.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 21:53
Quote: "Fixed black screen on Android when resuming an app from device sleep"

Nice - do AppGameKit apps still prevent device from sleeping or did you also remove that?

Quote: "Fixed various memory leaks"

Great! Where were the leaks? Did they affect current iOS and Android apps (108.19)? This knowledge will assist in helping us to decide whether we need to migrate to the newest AppGameKit version before our next release. Thanks!

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 23:12
Thank you Paul, downloading now.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 23:19
Quote: "do AppGameKit apps still prevent device from sleeping or did you also remove that?"

Yes sleeping is prevented by the line

but if you choose to remove it an recompile it will no longer cause problems.

Quote: "Where were the leaks?"

The following leaks were fixed:
- Deleting 3D objects didn't clean up the vertex buffer in GPU memory
- iOS apps that allow both landscape and portrait orientations would leak memory when changing orientations
- Using SetTextDefaultFontImage(0) to reset to the default font image would leak memory
- Using DeleteAllText didn't properly clean up references to the deleted text objects

If you didn't use 3D objects and restricted your app to only portrait or landscape, it's very unlikely you would see any negative affects
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 23:22
Perfect. That's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like no migration is necessary for us. Thanks for the quick reply!!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 00:46 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 00:55
Quote: "Deleting 3D objects didn't clean up the vertex buffer in GPU memory"

would this be a problem specific to a platform or for all platforms including windows?...sorry for double question but I do delete a lot of instanced objects on the fly....

would instanced objects be effected as well?

I may need to update some players if this is the case....blackberry being the toughest one.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 02:25
All platforms. Instance objects are unaffected
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 05:10
ok thanks paul for the quick answer. You have convinced me to upgrade!

pprem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 11:12
thanks for those fix

--
Patrick P.
http://www.gamolf.fr
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 14:24
Great news, thanks for those fixes! And good to read 'formally' this version (and the one before that) are out of beta.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 19:41 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 20:02
hey question...did you do anything with mp3 playback looping?

from beta 18 to 20 final... mp3 playback now crashes on me when its time to re loop the song. The error message reports the line causing it as sync() so its something in the agk engine.

I will reproduce the error in a demo and post it.

edit:

here is the error and I never had this error on beta18

guess I hafta downgrade back to beta 18

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 20:18
yup beta 18 is confirmed that it doesn't crash like 20 does.

Can someone else run that demo and confirm its just not some crazy thing on my pc. That demo was created on this latest update 20 and ran on windows 7.

Thanks...

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 21:02 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 21:02
@SMD_3D_Interactive:

I just ran your test... it crashes on my installation of AppGameKit .20 as well, on the third loop. I get the message "Failed to load Mp3 source filter at line 15". I'm running Windows 7.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 21:03
Ran your test program on my Windows machine. It crashed after the 3rd time. I replaced your MP3 with my own and it again crashed on the 3rd loop. I then recompiled with 10819 and it works fine. Looped about 10 times before I gave up.
I don't have 10820 on my machine so can't test further, but maybe try PlayMusic(1,1) instead of using the start id and end id parameters? I kind of doubt that will help, but may be worth a shot.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 23:04
ok thanks guys.... so 19 beta is good then naphier? then it must have been something in 20 that's causing it.

thanks and ill stick with 18 until that's fixed.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 23:24
I've had no problems with 19 other than some edit box issues (seems somewhat consistent across multiple AppGameKit versions) and there's an issue with using SSL connection for uploading files via HTTP and accessing protected directories with iOS. Other than those 2 I don't have any issues. I do not use any 3D, though, so that may be another story. I do use physics, particles, http, ads, push , and IAP (so pretty much everything other than 3D, Multiplayer newtworking, and video).

Since Paul fixed an issue with OGG file looping on Windows, I wonder if he inadvertently broke MP3 file looping I'm glad it isn't present in 10819 though!!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 01:10
Quote: "I wonder if he inadvertently broke MP3 file looping"

Indeed it did, but not for the reason I would have thought. It actually highlighted a bug in the string manipulation commands that has gone unnoticed since the first ever release and I'm surprised hasn't caused a problem until now. I've fixed it and released version 108.21
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 01:14
That's good and bad
Can you elaborate on the string manipulation issue you found so we can know whether or not to be concerned?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 01:20
....dang your fast paul!

if ricks the financial guy....give paul a raise as he deserves it!!
<extremely dedicated!>

very much appreciated and im looking forward to seeing AGK2 evolve!

I shall update once again. :p

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 01:41
Quote: "Can you elaborate on the string manipulation issue you found so we can know whether or not to be concerned?"

It only affects my C++ code so nothing you can do in tier 1 should affect it. If you're really interested it was caused by my uString class, when I assign one string to equal another it was sharing the pointer to the string data instead of duplicating it, so when one got deleted it would wipe out the contents of the other. There is also a copy function that I use to do the same thing which does work, but it appears I never used the overloaded operator method until now!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 03:06
Thank you for the detailed explanation, Paul. It helps to relieve my concerns
I'm glad we have you on the AppGameKit team!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 10:03
Paul:
Do you have an ETA on when the next version of v2 is coming? I would really like to have that render to image command working on Andorid/OUYA soon. That's the only thing I want, just being able to build an APK with that feature. And with soon I mean that I want to start using it Saturday morning. So if you can magically make it work somehow, I have lots of time to test it this weekend

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 15:25
Unfortunately an Ouya version will not be released that soon. However if you just want to reduce the render target size you may be able to edit main.c and recompile with cygwin to achieve the same result. If you want to try this find the line

and replace it with

where width and height are the desired size of the back buffer. If left at zero they default to the native resolution of the display which on an HD TV is 1920x1080.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 15:43
That means getting Eclipse working again and I must say I am surprised I got it working the first time. I really didn't understand most of what I did. I guess it would be the best solution to do this and not use render to image as I should get even more speed.

Any chance this could be an option on the Build APK page?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 16:20
Quote: "Any chance this could be an option on the Build APK page?"

Unfortunately not since the online tool doesn't actually compile the app, it takes a precompiled app and adds your media to it.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 16:37
Well, guess I will dedicate a day to try to get this working in Eclipse. Thanks for the quick replies

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 01:39 Edited at: 31st Jan 2014 01:45
Quote: "Well, guess I will dedicate a day to try to get this working in Eclipse."

you will need to do this anyways to use IAP for google/ouya.

its actually not to bad to setup. I had trouble getting the full player working but I got the light version instantly.

as long as your not using facebook then use the android lite player.

Has anyone tried a modified player for ouya to use 2d? like the example paul has shown? If not I will give it a try.

What screen resolution you use Digital A.?

edit:
looks like I have Cygwin installed but its a dos prompt or <console prompt> I will look at it now and see if I can compile a 1024x600 buffer for my 2d icebrawlers and I will see how the 2d handles on it. Currently if I was to put icebrawlers 2d on ouya its extremely slow so should be easy to see if this will work.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 03:10 Edited at: 31st Jan 2014 03:24
hey paul...I just tried that and it speeds up 2d extremely.

one problem....

now that I have done this the screen has major cut off.

infact all I have is the bottom left corner on my player as well as when the game loads and runs...but again really fast!

there must be another line in your code to modify aswell?

image posted----->

Attachments

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 03:21
It might be the ordering of the commands, as you can see there is a commented out version higher up that I was experimenting with. Try modifying that entire section to this
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 03:27
ok ill take a look....btw I edited my post and posted an image up for you to see what it looks like.

It looks like this is really easy to do so Digital A. ..if ya want let me know what resolution player you want for ouya and I can post it for you. If it helps?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 03:40 Edited at: 31st Jan 2014 05:45
yup that fixed it paul!

btw: 1024x600 buffer fixed Icebrawlers 2d version....its screamen fast on ouya and I can now post my 3rd game to the ouya store front.

edit: oh no....

so a new problem has come to play. The mouse doesn't work on the ouya game pad. and if you try to use it the app closes. I did use the native app glue for sure...

im compiling the ouya player with the ide/apps/interpreter_android folder and have modified the main.c file as you described and when i run the hardcodedcompilescript it makes the files no problem. I do see however when it does the cleaning its doing something to the native app glue file or folder?? or have i mistaken. Maybe its replacing it again? or something special needs to be done for the ouya player?

I noticed in main.c you have some commented out cases for ouya:

after un commenting those the mouse clicking on buttons or screen still does not work and still crashes eventualy.

I can only assume there is something else...or im working with the wrong android folder

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 09:46
Quote: "you will need to do this anyways to use IAP for google/ouya."

Ah, I did not know that!

Quote: "its actually not to bad to setup. I had trouble getting the full player working but I got the light version instantly."

I've done it once before but ages ago. I think it stopped working once I updated to a newer version of AGK. Then the webpage solution came so I didn't bother with it anymore.

Quote: "What screen resolution you use Digital A.?"

I will see if 720p is enough, might go with that.

Quote: "1024x600 buffer fixed Icebrawlers 2d version"

I think you should go with either 1280x720 or 1024x576 as those are both 16:9 resolutions.

Quote: "It looks like this is really easy to do so Digital A. ..if ya want let me know what resolution player you want for ouya and I can post it for you. If it helps?"

I need more than just the player. Because I want to post builds of RTA that runs smooth on OUYA.

The reason this speeds things up on OUYA is because when you draw to a 1920x1080 framebuffer the Tegra 3 chip can't keep up when there's too much on screen. With 2D, sprites gets drawn on top of each other.

I will give this a go today and I hope you can figure out the mouse problem soon

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 14:06 Edited at: 31st Jan 2014 14:11
I suspect I just have the wrong folder. I will run some tests out tonight and see what I can come up with.

what paul has mentioned also has sped up 3d big time too!

I had done my original games in 1024x600 as that's the blackberry resolution. But for others that just need to test their games I could make a few player resolution sizes for the ouya.

Just let me figure out the mouse crash issue.

paul... does it matter that im using android-ndk-r8d as I noticed the hardcodedcompilescript uses 6 but I just edited the path and it compiled. I also had to move the ide/common files to the jni source folder for it to actually compile.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 14:22
Quote: "The mouse doesn't work on the ouya game pad. and if you try to use it the app closes."

Try the attached native app glue

Quote: "I noticed in main.c you have some commented out cases for ouya:"

Those are duplicates so I would leave them commented.

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 02:04 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 06:29
ok paul....now the app no longer crashes. however the mouse still no longer works on the gamepads.

edit: The new problem is that the mouse coordinate system does not match the screen resolution.... I will see if I can track down in your code where it deals with this.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 10:36
AGK seems to crash on my cheapy nasty Alcatel onetouch tablet. Neither any of my working games, or the player app from the play store will run. it just gives me the app has stopped responding error.

Will AppGameKit fail if the device doesn't have accelerometers or other fun functions as my tablet doesn't have anything like that?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 10:52
Mobiius:
Check your Android OS version number. I don't recall AGK's minumum system requirement but I think it's 2.3.3. Could be also be 2.3.2. I remember that it didn't run on the early Galaxy S2 without updating the OS.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 15:55 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 16:14
SMD_3D Interactive:
I don't seem to have any luck with Eclipse. If you don't mind, it would be nice if you could compile some players. I want to run some stress tests on OUYA. See how it can handle a parallax forest. I suggest these resolutions, they are all 16:9.

1280x720, 960x540, 854x480

If Paul or anyone else have a clue on why Eclipse isn't working for me. Please help! I have attached a screenshot of my errors. What ever I do to try to fix this, only seems to increase the number of errors I get.

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 17:21 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 17:44
are you using any virtual joystick or buttons? the mouse is not working properly on the modified players.

eg. if I set the back buffer to 1280x720 the mouse reports movement to 2500x1500 or something crazy that doesn't make any sence.

so any mouse usage could still potentially crash the player if it goes off screen too far.

I think 1280x720 was safe and didn't crash but my 1024x600 did as the mouse was acting even more strange.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 17:39
Quote: "are you using any virtual joystick or buttons? the mouse is not working properly on the modified players."

None of that, it's all working with the controller buttons and joysticks.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 17:50
Quote: "I have attached a screenshot of my errors"

Right click on the FackbookSDK project and click refresh, then right click it and choose build. Then try and build your project.

Quote: "AGK seems to crash on my cheapy nasty Alcatel onetouch tablet"

Some devices seem to be incompatible with NDK apps, HP Slate 7 is one of them. I reached out to HP to found out why and they simply stated that it was a hardware problem, I asked if they could be more specific and they never replied.

Quote: "The new problem is that the mouse coordinate system does not match the screen resolution"

I think the mouse/touch coordinates still use the native device resolution whilst AppGameKit thinks the device is the back buffer resolution. You might be able to adjust the coordinates in main.c before they get sent to AppGameKit, look for the function "mousemoved( 0, x, y );" so that they match 1024x600 instead of 1920x1080
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 18:24
Quote: "Right click on the FackbookSDK project and click refresh, then right click it and choose build. Then try and build your project."

That did something but I still have the same errors.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 18:34
@DA what errors?
I use r9 so you should be ok with r8 too (I also used that before). You may want to remove your project from eclipse, but leave the FB SDK. Then import your project again. This way the FB SDK cleans and builds first. If you are getting "r cannot be resolved" then you've made a mistake somewhere in putting your project name into one pof the java files. Post a screen cap of the errors and I'll see what I can do to help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:14:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:14:30