Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2.0.15 Alpha

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 16:48
I've uploaded a new version of AppGameKit to the downloads area. This is an Alpha build for Windows and Android only, this means that some features may not work correctly and command names and functionality may change in a future version. It is primarily for testing and is not recommended for production. Users on Steam will have to opt-in to the new Alpha branch to download it (right click on AppGameKit, select properties, then the Betas tab). Please let us know what you find so we can improve the next version.

The new build has the following changes

The most notable changes that will affect existing code are that the directional light commands have been removed and replaced with a single global directional light with the commands SetSunColor, SetSunDirection, and SetSunActive, this is mainly to keep the lighting shader from getting too complex. Secondly the point light commands have had their command names changed for readability so SetLightPointPosition is now SetPointLightPosition, etc. Thirdly auto assigned IDs now start at 100,000 instead of 10,000, this is to give more room to user assigned values, even though they may not use all 10,000 the values could be spread out reaching the limit, this one shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you haven't assumed the 10,000 value anywhere.

This build includes 4 new examples in the following folders "Projects/3D/BoneAnimation", "Projects/Memblocks/MeshModification", "Projects/Physics3D/SimpleDemo", "Projects/Lights/VertexLights". The "3D-FirstPersonExample" project has also been modified to use the new light map command and a dynamic light which are all handled by the default shaders, so no need to write your own shaders for light mapping and lighting.

The 3D physics commands are being done by Frank (Stab In The Dark Software) so I won't be able to answer many questions on physics, but I will pass them along if you have any. We are aware that the documentation for physics needs improvement.

Known issues
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 17:17 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 18:05
Going to download now and get back with you.
Im excited about these new 3d physics commands

Edit: Woah its 3 times the size of the previous version.

2nd Edit: Im sure it is a user error? (Problem Solved - Sorry for being hasty I was so excited I just rushed into things. I should of read your post closer and I would of known how to set up the Physics commands.)

When I am trying to use the new 3d physics commands the program crashes.

Was just a test with the PhysicsLinearVelocity.

Also when setting the gravity it wouldn't even let the program run to begin with.

When removing the gravity the program does not crash until the pointer is pressed calling for the linear velocity.

3rd Edit: Problem solved. (Had to run with admin accesss)
When trying to run the Bone Animation example provided in the TGC/AGK2/Projects folder...I get this error.
error: Failed to open file for writing media/bytecode.byc
Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried out the simple 3d physics example, but nothing moves, all I get is this static view:

Hail to the king, baby!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 18:22 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 18:25
Quote: "When I am trying to use the new 3d physics commands the program crashes. "

It looks like this happens if the Create3DPhysicsWorld command is not used, I would count this as a bug since it should fail with an error message instead.

Quote: "error: Failed to open file for writing media/bytecode.byc"

If you try to run the projects from the "Program Files (x86)" folder then Windows will prevent AppGameKit from writing to the folder so it can't compile. I recommend using the "Install Additional Files" dialog to copy the Projects to a writable folder.

Quote: "I tried out the simple 3d physics example, but nothing moves, all I get is this static view:"

I'm not sure what's going on there, I've attached what I see when I run it. Do the non-physics demos work ok?

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried a 2d physics,worked fine, but then I tried the 3d bone animation example and got a windows message saying:
Vertex shader and pixel shader failed to link, I do have an old notebook (compaq 6910p) and believe it doesnt even support pixel shader 2.0, however I then loaded my droidball code (3d) and got a compilation error:
Hail to the king, baby!
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 18:54 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 19:28
The physics sample is working for me.

Here is a simple example I have come up with trying to figure out the linear velocity.
No media is required.

I have yet to figure out how the restitution works...trying to make the ball bounce when it touches down with the ground. Also I have yet to figure out the friction
You will notice I have the ball positioned over the ground a good ways watching it fall (Was trying to make it bounce)....It will fall in the center of the ground if you do not press the wsad keys before touchdown.

Press the wsad keys to move the ball around inside the wall parameters using linear velocity (Im still figuring things out) I just decided to post another sample for us to play with.

Also something I have noticed.

Step3dphsyicsworld()
Physics is spelt wrong ^ it was throwing me off for a few

This is the only command I have noticed but there could be more

Edit: I have figured out how to work the restitution (Make a sphere bounce)
You must assign restitution too both the sphere and ground.
Assigning the restitution of 1 to the sphere and .5 to the ground. Will make the ball lose half its bounce every collision with the ground. (This is just a speculation without proper documentation who knows.)
Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 19:55 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 19:57
both the 3d physics and the bone animation examples work on my sons more modern laptop, but same issue with the light commands not being not recognised and indeed are now not highlighted any more within the AppGameKit editor, has this been stripped?
Hail to the king, baby!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 20:16
Quote: "Vertex shader and pixel shader failed to link"

Is there any more text in that error message? It should be followed by the reason it didn't link.

Quote: "I do have an old notebook (compaq 6910p) and believe it doesnt even support pixel shader 2.0"

It may be that the new 3D shaders are too complicated for it

Quote: "I then loaded my droidball code (3d) and got a compilation error"

Quote: "but same issue with the light commands not being not recognised and indeed are now not highlighted any more within the AppGameKit editor, has this been stripped?"

Yes, there is now only 1 directional light which is controlled by the following commands SetSunColor, SetSunDirection, and SetSunActive

Quote: "Step3dphsyicsworld() Physics is spelt wrong ^ it was throwing me off for a few"

Thanks I'll pass your comment along
pamercomov
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 09:22
hi!!!....
even I could not try it because I'm at work.
only one question before trying to ....
This new version is compatible with android player?
or a new version of the player is also available?

to test new examples and test performance on android
using AppGameKit V2 tier 1
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 14:58
Quote: "This new version is compatible with android player?"

There is an Android player in the Players folder. The one on Google Play will not be updated for this build as it is a test version.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 15:19
@Paul: Great work! For an Alpha, this looks remarkably complete Have a

No sleep for me for the next few nights!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 15:37
Quote: "@Paul: Great work! For an Alpha, this looks remarkably complete Have a "

I 100% agree, this is amazing work and from all the testing I have done I have yet to find anything wrong.

I spent the whole morning on OpenGameArt mass downloading 3d models.

All the models I am testing are .Blend
I have ran into some of them not loading, but im assuming something is wrong with the model and not AGK. I plan on downloading Blender today to check the models in blender and export to .X

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 16:42
Quote: "For an Alpha, this looks remarkably complete"

Thanks, there are certain areas like the 3D that got a lot of attention and testing but there are others like the new string commands that I threw together and didn't get around to testing, and it looks like physics will need a couple of command name spelling changes, so expect hit and miss on the quality at this stage!

Quote: "All the models I am testing are .Blend I have ran into some of them not loading, but im assuming something is wrong with the model and not AGK. I plan on downloading Blender today to check the models in blender and export to .X"

I only tested a couple of models, both in .X format, so if you find something you think should definitely work, but doesn't, please send it my way.
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 17:34 Edited at: 7th Oct 2015 17:35
It seems the accelerometer functions no longer work correctly. I was just integrating the 3d physics into the 3d editor of mine to change droidball to 3d physics, so I ran the 2d example and indeed they do not work in that also, they move but only one step at a time using the arrow keys, haven't tested yet on a tablet.
Hail to the king, baby!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 21:29
Quote: "It seems the accelerometer functions no longer work correctly."

Just tested them on a Nexus 7 and they seem to be working ok, do you have some sample code?
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 21:39 Edited at: 7th Oct 2015 23:12
I was using the example that comes with agk just to make sure it wasn't any of my doing! but I will try on my tablet, as I said I used the arrow keys on the laptop,it behaves like simply typing (sudocode) if uparrowkey then y=y-1 ! has zero inertia, it is hard to get hold of my tablet as the kids claim it a lot!

***edit*** Finally got to test it on my tablet, the accelerometer works, it just does not work when testing on the laptop using the cursor keys!
Hail to the king, baby!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 02:01
SetObjectPosition doesn't appear to move the physics object. In the following example, you can see the small cubes landing where the large flat box was created, but since been moved so they look like they land on empty space:

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline

If you position the object first and then set the physics body to it, as I have done above, all is fine!
Hail to the king, baby!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 07:35 Edited at: 8th Oct 2015 08:58
Thanks Shadey!

In that case, should this be considered a bug? I can think of several scenarios where manually setting a 3d physics object's position would be desirable. Even if doing so also reset any linear or angular velocities (similar to when you move a box2d sprite).
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 10:45 Edited at: 8th Oct 2015 10:46
Hi Paul,

first: thanks for all the work so far! I have a question about instanced objects: has anything been changed in the way they work or how I should 'invoke' them? I'm asking because my game relies heavily on them. In the alpha-build, the game either crashes without an error at the first moment I call the InstanceObject-command or runs for a bit without displaying any objects and then crashes when I destroy and re-create a new batch. (Don't know if it is important, but: in my game the ID's of parent objects are stored in an array and the ID's of instanced ones in another. Arrays are unchanged, right?).
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 12:03
Great update. Thanks!
Regards Sph!nx
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 15:15
Quote: "the accelerometer works, it just does not work when testing on the laptop using the cursor keys!"

The only commands that use the cursor keys to simulate an accelerometer are the GetDirectionX and GetDirectionY commands, these also seem to work fine here.

Quote: "SetObjectPosition doesn't appear to move the physics object."

I'll pass along your comment, although it could be argued that making the object static means it should no longer move from its current position. You can use Kinematic objects if you want to move it around without it being dynamic.

Quote: "I have a question about instanced objects: has anything been changed in the way they work or how I should 'invoke' them?"

They have changed internally, they now share the mesh data instead of object data, but the way you use them hasn't changed. I haven't had any problems with them myself. You must keep the original object around until all the instanced objects have been deleted, otherwise I'm not sure what could cause a crash. If you send me your project I'll take a look.

Quote: "Arrays are unchanged, right?"

Arrays haven't changed.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 19:09
Hi Paul, i know this release is for Android / WIndows only...
Could you please read the post "I got AppGameKit work on Apple TV..." please???

I'm trying to help you so you can help me.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 21:28
What is Debug3DPhysicsWorld() supposed to do? I was expecting something similar to the 2d SetPhysicsDebugOn where you get ghost wireframe objects representing the physics objects, but I'm getting nothing at all. I could really do with seeing what is going on as my cylinders are bouncing off thin air!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 21:34
Quote: "Could you please read the post "I got AppGameKit work on Apple TV..." please???"

I have replied

Quote: "What is Debug3DPhysicsWorld() supposed to do?"

Currently I don't think it does anything. It was going to use wireframe rendering but unfortunately OpenGL ES doesn't support it, so we'll have to come up with something else.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 22:03 Edited at: 8th Oct 2015 23:50
The "Height" and "Diameter" args for SetObjectShapeCylinder are very different from the "Height" and "Diameter" args for CreateObjectCylinder. Is there a formula for working out the physics height/diameter based on the object's height/diameter?

Trying to simulate falling coins, I have used trial and error to get the following settings to give a decent representation, but it would be good to see some proper documentation as to how these are supposed to work together.

Example:

I would have expected:
` CreateObjectCylinder( objID, height, diameter, segments )
CreateObjectCylinder( numblocks+2, 1,10,20 )

to have a matching physics shape of:
` SetObjectShapeCylinder( objID, axis, height, diameter )
SetObjectShapeCylinder(numblocks+2,1,1,10)

But it is actually closer to:
SetObjectShapeCylinder(numblocks+2,1,0.4,2.5)

in pratice. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Have discovered by leaving the height and diameter values out, it automatically sets them to the size of the object. SetObjectShapeCylinder(numblocks+2,1) works just great!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2015 12:18
I'm getting a lot of physics glitching in my tests. Especially when there are a lot of dynamic objects interacting together. Sometimes they clump together and totally glitch-out, flying up the screen or going into that epic glitch-dance jittering up and down in their failed attempt to separate out from each other. I'll post some example vids a bit later, but in the meantime:

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
With this code, it looks like the physics simulation halts after a short time, while the app still runs. The top part stops moving after a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 13:24
@Paul:

thanks for your reply and your time. I've written a small program to illustrate my problem: the attached program (.zip that contains code and media) creates a simple 3D enviroment from instances. It runs fine on v2.0.14b, but crashes instantly when I try to run it in v2.0.15.

For my 'real game', I've experimented with a renderimage instead of the normal sync()-call every frame. In this case, the program usually gets past the point where it crashes, but then two things happen: 1). all 3D-objects are displayed without textures, and 2). once I move and destroy/re-create instances, the game crashes once more.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jukuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 16:49 Edited at: 10th Oct 2015 16:51
Do not work with W7 and Speedport Router to Broadcatst.
Functions deleted - Source incopatible.
Very unstabel on W7.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 17:27
I haven't run into any issues as of yet on Win10, but I'm going to do some more intensive tests with the things people have reported as not working, just to see if I can help pinpoint what might be going on!

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 08:26 Edited at: 12th Oct 2015 10:14
Edit: Oop... wrong thread! Sorry!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 15:05
Quote: "I'm getting a lot of physics glitching in my tests. Especially when there are a lot of dynamic objects interacting together. Sometimes they clump together and totally glitch-out, flying up the screen or going into that epic glitch-dance jittering up and down in their failed attempt to separate out from each other. I'll post some example vids a bit later, but in the meantime:"

CJB
Can you post a code snippet that demonstrates this so I can determine what is causing it.

Quote: "With this code, it looks like the physics simulation halts after a short time, while the app still runs. The top part stops moving after a while."

MikeHart
The Bullet Physics engine puts objects to sleep automatically after a certain amount time.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 09:56
I've just updated to the Alpha and my game crashes when loading in 3D objects. I'm using .obj format, with a combination of variables, as well as object ID's for reference. All objects are exported from Blender. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 10:55
@Stab In The Dark: Here's a quick "Coin Push" demo that suffers from the problem. Fire this up and let it run for a while. On my machine, every now and then small clumps of coins will get stuck together and start floating up the screen, or explode out in all directions.

I think I have worked around the problem by making everything much bigger and changing the 3Dphysicsworld scale, but would be good if it can be fixed for small scale objects

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 14:48
Quote: "I've just updated to the Alpha and my game crashes when loading in 3D objects."

Please send me the project so I can try to replicate the crash.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The Bullet Physics engine puts objects to sleep automatically after a certain amount time."

But as fast as it does, it isn't right. The plane is still in movement. And the bigger the object is the faster it happens. Please try the code I posted, To me it is a bug.
Using AGK2 Tier 1
[a http://www.fantomgl.com]fantomEngine[/a] - A powerful 2D game framework
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 20:50
Quote: "The Bullet Physics engine puts objects to sleep automatically after a certain amount time."

The sleeping state should be user definable in my opinion. I posted this when 2015 was released as I feel these are definitely required commands to resolve issues such as MikeHart's. Had no reply to that post, so I'll post again here as this thread is being monitored by the devs:
Please add the following commands:

GetAngularSleepingThershold
SetAngularSleepingThreshold
GetLinearSleepingThreshold
SetLinearSleepingThreshold

Thanks!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 15:17
MikeHart

In your example the gravity is set to -1.0 meter per second. The low gravity allows the object to slow down sooner, When the object reaches a certain
linear and angular velocity it is put to sleep automatically by the Bullet physics engine. If you do not set the gravity it is by default -10.0 meters per second
and you will see the object keeps falling. Also you can use the command SetObject3DPhysicsCanSleep() to stop it being put to sleep by the
physics engine.

CJB
I saw your original post about the missing commands, which were inadvertently missed. I have added them along with SetObject3DPhysicsDeactivationTime().
In your coin push demo I can see the issue. Unfortunately Bullet has a minimum size that the solver can handle so the thickness of the coins at 1.2 is the problem.
If you change the scale factor to 20 and increase gravity to -12.0 it does for the most part alleviate the problem. At the default scale factor of 40 the smallest dimension
that the solver can handle is about 3.5 AppGameKit units.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks. Now I understand it.
Using AGK2 Tier 1
[a http://www.fantomgl.com]fantomEngine[/a] - A powerful 2D game framework
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 16:34
Stab in the Dark

Excellent response. With the additional commands and the documentation updated with minimum safe dimensions, I'm sure Bullet is going to prove a huge success for AppGameKit! Thanks for all the excellent work you have put into this release.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone try calling 'GetDeviceBaseName()' alot?
It still seems to eat up all the ram if called every frame... probably a memory leak?

Obviously i only called it once at the beginning...
Just putting it in just in case its a bug...
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 12:20
@Paul Johnston: I also get a crash in 2015Alpa when trying to use InstanceObject. Here's an example.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 13:06 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 14:58
Also, when will all command support std::string input?
They only seems to support char* and uString, which does become slower when converting std::string to char* or uString with custom function!

If they could support long long int or double, which probably will not take you more then 5 minutes to implement, you could be seeing alot of AppGameKit sales as it no long scream "I can only make non-profitable, simple and cheap games!"... <- just saying...
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 13:24
Quote: "as it no long scream "I can only make non-profitable, simple and cheap games!""

A bad workman...

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 15:04 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 15:08
Quote: "Quote: "as it no long scream "I can only make non-profitable, simple and cheap games!""

A bad workman..."

Lol, probably!
Frankly we think what is needed most is the ability to program tier 2 in AppGameKit IDE itself, you know, like unity engine...
This way, the player for rapid development may be part of it...
Or just allow tier 1 to have c++ script injection, like a website hook & filter... or not really similar..... just saying...
That and you can keep the source close sourced.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Chmava How many are actually using the T2 AppGameKit these days?
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 18:02 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 18:07
Quote: "@Chmava How many are actually using the T2 AppGameKit these days?"

True is, no one is?
But the current stuff i am working on required calculation of 128bit long and is not very fun when it took 2 hours just to load 40k sprite.....
even more so when each sprite has it's own calculation.....
Probably because it loop through every single sprite to check for conflict and such.
And to overcome this, we required to run multiple cpu threads that does not conflict with Sync()
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What a pity... I miss the days when there was a new AppGameKit version and people like AncientLady, Gekki and other luminaries would come to the rescue and fix the unworking template
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 18:08 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 19:46
Quote: "What a pity... I miss the days when there was a new AppGameKit version and people like AncientLady, Gekki and other luminaries would come to the rescue and fix the unworking template"

Could you redefine your meaning?

Wait, are you referring to using VS2015?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:21:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:21:30