Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / level design software

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 19:09
Hi,
I ask if exist a level design software for AppGameKit ?
thank you
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 09:13
Any 3D modelling tool will do.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 17:39
2D or 3D?

There are several floating around for 2D. Check out www.mapeditor.org for one but you will need some extra AppGameKit routines to load the maps. I didn't care for it but your mileage may vary.

If you search the forums here, you'll find some others as well.

I have one that I've been working on, but its not ready for prime time yet and its currently Mac only.
darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 18:27
Hi,
@ pjsmith67 , when you say: "you will need some extra AppGameKit routines to load the maps" ? can you explain me about ?

@Mobiius: I don't understand when you say ' Any 3D modelling tool will do', When I say software Level designer, I refer not to create 3d asset but an entire level (2d not 3d) and at end save the level . After include this file in AppGameKit (for example like include "level.xx)"

thanks to all.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 18:46
AGK does not natively support the format that Tiled uses so save its maps so you will need to either write your own or download someone else's. There are a couple of AppGameKit libraries floating around that will load those tile maps. Just do a search on these forums and you'll find them.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 09:11
Quote: ": I don't understand when you say ' Any 3D modelling tool will do', When I say software Level designer, I refer not to create 3d asset but an entire level (2d not 3d) and at end save the level . After include this file in AppGameKit (for example like include "level.xx)" "

AGK doesn't support any tool like that, because one does not exist.
You can use any 3D editor to create your level then load the individual bit in yourself, or you can write your own level editor.

Either way, there is currently no way to do this with one line of code.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 10:43 Edited at: 10th Jan 2017 10:44
Quote: "I ask if exist a level design software for AppGameKit ?"
The answer, of course, is YES. There are lots of level editors you could use to create a level for an AppGameKit game, but you'll need to write the software (in AGK) to load the level. AppGameKit is a language, not a game engine. If you want 2D Physics in your game, then you might use something like RUBE for building the 3d layout of your level. There's even a RUBE loader for AppGameKit somewhere.

If you take a look over on the showcase board, Baxslash is creating a fantastic level editor, that also exports the AppGameKit code required to load the level - WIN!

A "level" can mean lots of things, so finding the right tools for the job really depends on the type of game you want to create. Many developers will write their own level editor to suit the specific type of game they are creating (for example, I wrote an editor for a bike game (that never got finished) example vid can be seen here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/212158#msg2536599
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:03:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:03:11