Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Avast gave a virus warning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Avast antivirus said that my newly compiled .exe contained Win32:Malware.gen

Most likely it's just screwing things up, but I felt I should mention it here.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2017 14:16
Hey I just came to see if anyone else was getting this from Avast, it was fine last night was working on a project, rebooted when I got home from work and Avast is throwing fits at anything I try and compile, Avast has also deleted (move to chest) every exe AppGameKit has compiled, just got a dozen pings and warnings. must have been an update, on a side note Avast is also pushing there IS suite.... related, probably!!, time to find a new AV!!

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh well. I used AVG before, and Avast must work a lot harder to sink to their level. The worst part is this: Once I got Audacity started so I could record that sweet "Virus detected!" female voice, Avast flatly refuses to report a false positive. How about some consistency?
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2017 01:30
It's a valid point.

TGC should perhaps register their windows player updates with the AV bodies so that it is a recognised signature.
I've never had an issue, but I use SEP.

Just add your source / target folder to the ignore list. It's a bit odd that the master player in the AppGameKit folders doesn't get picked up.

There's always the slim chance it's real
Do a comparison with your exe and the source windows player file in the AppGameKit source folders.
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2017 11:11
nz0 - agreed. It would look quite unprofessional to a customer if their antivirus started kicking off as soon as your product was installed.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
nz0 wrote: "There's always the slim chance it's real
Do a comparison with your exe and the source windows player file in the AppGameKit source folders."

Good idea! Could you explain the procedure in a bit more detail? I'm not all that good at tech!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 02:57 Edited at: 11th Sep 2017 02:58
Quote: "Could you explain the procedure in a bit more detail?"

You can just open the file properties and check if both files have exactly the same number of bytes in the file size.

A more secure way (though probably unnecessary) would be to upload both files to a website that calculates the file checksums (just Google for it).

The most secure of all is to use a tool that can compare files byte for byte (such as HxD hex editor)

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:26:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:26:56