Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Forum Maintenance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello folks...

Any way we could push this idea and get the stale/redundant threads archived so they don't show-up in searches?

Example: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/929

Thanks.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 07:55
Search results are in descending date order, you can stop reading at whatever point you feel is too old for your needs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
OpusTheFowl
Years of Service
User Offline
Well yes, that is an option but considering that your products have changed a lot over the years, it's not always easy to see what is or isn't helpful based on the age of a post. When is "too old" helpful or not helpful? As that is not a useful criteria, it tends to force people to either arbitrarily ignore results or waste time checking threads that may or may not be helpful.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 15:58
@BatVink

I sent you a PM, but have not gotten a response yet, so I thought I would tell you here in case you overlooked it or it didn't go through for some reason.

Thanks

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
There is still a lot of value in many old posts including snippets, formulas and algorithms etc. that do not change. I'd hate to see it removed.

Consider using Google as an alternative search tool, which allows you to filter and only show posts from the past year or any custom range.

Query: site:https://forum.thegamecreators.com/ 3D

(Where 3D is the search you wish to make)

Then set "Tools" to only show from Past Year etc. It'll then restrict to only that and will also search through post content as well as titles.

If you only want to search titles using the Google custom search, simply add intitle:3D (where 3D is the search you wish to make).
OpusTheFowl
Years of Service
User Offline
That what archives and stickies are for...

It's a very bad omen for people new to The Game Creators when people are defending threads 14 years old and for the most part, redundant and/or stale. It's even worse when it's suggested that they use Google to brows the forums due to the lack of proper native search functions in the forums themselves. I don't mean any disrespect but you got to see the bad optics on this...a site based around programming should be very optimized and efficient especially one that's been around for so long.

Any how...this the point is made...
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 07:42 Edited at: 19th Oct 2017 07:43
Quote: "Any how...this the point is made..."

Insisting that the point is made doesn't magically mean that you're right - it's a bad idea!

For example:
If someone wanted to search for an algorithm to find the distance between two points and they entered Distance between points into the search box, they would find their answer in an eleven year old post. Why isn't it more recent? Because it's already been answered and the answer is still perfectly valid.
Admittedly, you might find more recent posts about the same thing if you alter the search slightly but by your rationale they would all be removed and so people would be constantly asking for the same thing and other people would rapidly get bored of constantly answering the same thing.

And that's just one example. There are many, many relevant posts like that one that should always be returned in any search.
OpusTheFowl
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "...doesn't magically mean that you're right - it's a bad idea!"

Never said I was right...just stating my opinion.

Quote: "And that's just one example."

...and I'm sure I could also point out examples of dead code.

Look, I'm just suggesting some maintenance...everything benefits from maintenance. Have you noticed how slow these forums are? How basic the search function is? How unhelpful the hierarchy is? These are all things that should be looked at every year or two and I'm guessing that not much has changed here since the start...that's not a good thing.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "...and I'm sure I could also point out examples of dead code."

But the only way admins could possibly differentiate between "dead code" and "valuable content" from years past would be to manually comb through some 2.7 million posts. Many of the most relevant results in most large programming forums, including Stack Overflow, are a decade old or beyond.

That said, programmatically it shouldn't be difficult for them to add an optional date filter on the full search page (e.g., "Last Month / Last Year / All Time") which would alleviate these concerns for anyone who wishes to only see the most current discussions, without preventing others from discovering old threads and content.

Quote: "These are all things that should be looked at every year or two and I'm guessing that not much has changed here since the start..."

The forum was revamped quite heavily a couple years back. There is an active thread for bug reports and requests at the link below, you may wish to suggest adding a date filter there.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215506

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:21:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:21:25