Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Low Poly and Light inspiration and community ideas

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 21:54 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 21:57
I'm already developing and have been developing. Not sure why you don't like to see us discuss this here? I mean how can anyone develop until they even know what it is that a person wants to develop and that is what we were just talking about. Lol
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 22:01 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 22:03
Im more focussed in development time.. but everyone else is different

Idea for team development

You all could be the inspriationlists and i be the programmer that creates them ideas happen
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 22:10 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 22:11
Well I was reading & replying to Xaby's post where he explained in much more detail what he is wanting to come out of this thread. Already have my own project I am doing that has now spawned a second side project so was trying to think of some things that could help him reach his goals. I think Cliff or blenderman's editor might be a good start since it seems this will be centered around a GUI tool and I thought perhaps the helper utility function files I am writing might be a bit of help as well.

But yes if you are wanting to focus your programming skills on the project surely that would be a huge help to him. But Xaby can best answer that. I am getting out of here now. Lol
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 12:06 Edited at: 5th Sep 2018 12:09
Just wantet to say tht there is a nice deal on Humble bundle about unity stuff. had a look at unity for a whyle now, but it seems to be too big for me, too much stuf to handle. i feel kind of lost about where to start.
this does not happen here, as i build my stuff from scratch. but it could be nice if there where some ready scripts for basic things. it would save some time and bring an artist faster to a working project. but if we want to team up for such a project i think we should start small and then grow to something biger.
I got no projects at the moment, just toying around, but have a big project at work, so there is not much free time, but i hope for a change soon.

A possible Project i have in mind is something like this:
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 12:35 Edited at: 5th Sep 2018 12:42
One of my all time most favorite PS2 games that I actually want to make a game inspired by it one day. I like your thinking too. People teaming up need to focus on some small projects first to gain experience working together not tackle huge things from the very start. I ran into this problem most times I tried teaming up with other people. I'd say let's do a tiny test project first that will let us see how well we work together and let us improve our processes and so forth. But everyone wants to jump in to these big projects and then they almost always fail in a matter of months or even weeks. Lol

Even making one of the Maximo games (like Army of Zin too) is too big I think for the very beginning. Maybe do something more on the scale of what people are making in weekend game jams. There are some good games coming out of those.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 13:00
If we do a single level of Maximo Style, lets say, where you stand on a platform surrounded by an abyss, where in waves enemies come crawling out, and you have to fend them off as long as you can. this will contain the basics of a further and biger project. character controller, animation controller, camera controller, colisions, fx etc.
but i'm open for other ideas, in every style, does not have to be medieval fantasy, nor even ation stuff. might as well be a puzzler or something else. might even be 2d, did a 2d game once, but in PlayBasic.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 13:16
There was that sticky 3D physics thread and it had some examples. And we have these "little game templates". Also "useful code snippets" ...

Maybe, to begin with, could be a 3D Sokoban. Only blocks / cubes on a 2D grid. The game logic would be 2D, but it could be done with 3D collision detection.

Maybe a 10 by 10 grid. Than a Low-Poly 3D character. Standing, Walking, Pushing a block, maybe a "winning"-animation. There are Blocks for the wall, a box for pushing and targets. That's it.
And from that, we could go on. Climbing and doing ladders on some blocks. Changing some blocks for "better" visuals like corners and other walls. Adding diamonds to collect. Adding more animations for the player. Adding "monsters".

After some tweaking it could be a Tomb Raider from 1997. We would have to do some rules for sizes, or object style, etc. I would use the FPSC Classic "grid", but splitting it up for boxes in the "grid".

Level-Structure could be "text" at first. One letter is one element. Floor is everywhere the same. Later we could change the level-save-format.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 13:37
@xaby: i like the idea. blocks and characters will be done, in fact i have done some similar animation work once, walls and stuff are peanuts. but if someone else will contribute, just have a go, as i got little free time atm. from next month i have some more time i hope.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2018 15:14
Whoever is designing the game / championing the project... if you post a list of assets needed here with a brief description (and perhaps quick n rough pencil sketch if you have a specific look in mind) then anyone even myself might knock one out when needing a break from our other projects.

Also remember that puzzler expressed interest in doing the programming.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2018 18:41
found this piece of fun:
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2018 03:16 Edited at: 13th Sep 2018 05:47
Green7 that looks like a very nice scale project. Reminds me of some of the Ludum Dare 3D games. I was thinking those would also be very good to check out. Every LD weekend there are many 3D games made. They are not all 2D games.

Here are 4 just picked at random and the last one chosen intentionally because although very simple scope (again super limited time) I thought it had some very nice visuals that suit this thread. I'm thinking with these games made in a single weekend and in most cases completely made from scratch by one developer within that time... games of this scale would be perfect for a person (or two or three as a team) to make as a first 3D game in AGK. Obviously nobody cares about the weekend part on this side I am just saying I think by looking at games made in a weekend obviously the scope would be limited because of the time constraint.

At the least working on games of this scope would be a great way to figure out what tools & libraries need to be written to make the development more efficient as well as to establish very solid patterns for 3D game dev in AGK. And really I don't think it would be that difficult to do the ones made by one person. That game made for the Unconventional Weapon theme with the car roaming around pulling the chained morning star looks very cool and fun to me. I am actually surprised the developer didn't continue working on this and release it on Steam. But then who knows maybe he is working on it now. Anyway, I think something like that could be produced pretty straightforward in AGK. There are all kinds of 3D game that can be made not just FPS and RPGs.

Alright, just wanted to share that and these. I am taking a break from development tonight just chilling when I thought hey I should post about these LD games in this thread. I mentioned this somewhere in here earlier I think but not sure if I posted any videos of what I was referring to.

The one was made by a team of 4 people in 72 hours for the true Jam (the Jam is for teams and they get 3 days... the compo is for solo developers and they get 48 hours... yeah I know it has always seemed backwards to me too that more people also get 50% more time!)
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2018 13:13
The one with the chickens! made me laugh. Hmm, we need an idea to start working. the sokoban base ida of xaby for example, or something weird like the chicken thing.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2018 01:27 Edited at: 14th Sep 2018 01:30
LUDUM DARE compo entry

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2018 02:13 Edited at: 14th Sep 2018 02:14
Very nice Blink! I did a check and found a video the developer made of it saying "I was inspired by some positive feedback on the game play so I have decided to "timebox" a project and see if I can make a fully release-worthy game and release my *first ever mobile game* by 1st September. "

He made that for Ludum Dare 42 which was about 4 weeks ago.

I searched for Parking Spaces on the Play Store and sure enough.... it is there.

The game can also be played online or downloaded for desktop here.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2018 02:25
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2018 12:28
I guess, ideas are enough there

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2018 15:03
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2018 19:32 Edited at: 16th Sep 2018 21:20
Here is a video review of it showing a lot more of the excellent low poly visuals. Unfortunately, it seems like the common mistake was made with so much effort was spent on visuals but not on the game itself. And while looks can definitely help to get a person's attention to check out a game ultimately what a game will be judged on for being good or bad, worth buying or not is the gameplay experience.

So whatever you decide to do to create cool low poly graphics around be sure to actually make the game itself good and not just the graphics. The nice thing about watching video reviews like this is we can not only see firsthand the points of frustration (lack of it being like a dog, no sniff, no jump, etc), locked into mazes even the very first one (no levels that start out like an open field just to let the player get used to the game), no environmental interaction (again no jump over "walls", rocks, etc, no swimming, nothing but moving around), nothing to do with the bones except to unlock other dogs (that most likely are the exact same experience except with different shapes and sizes and colors of dog models), etc.

Right here is kind of a recipe to make a much better version of this game and the great thing is by focusing on this very important gameplay stuff a person could just have one dog model or certainly only a few (and in that case have some differences in movement speed, jump, etc) and make a much better game that is recommended much more.

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2018 16:06 Edited at: 17th Sep 2018 19:55
This is a game I have been following for quite a while now. Occasionally (maybe once every 2 to 3 months) checking out his latest dev video. Progress is slow (I don't recall seeing anything done yet over the past couple of years or so other than world building and population... maybe there was but certainly the world building, population and animal behaviors as well as the look have been the primary focus). But what he has seems to be very well done.

He is writing all of this in Java and OpenGL which I thought would be interesting to share here because it is closer to the approach one would use in AppGameKit except AppGameKit would be higher level of course. So this is kind of the opposite of the most efficient game jam style of development.

I like the look of this very much and even more appreciate all of the details he has put in the world to make it kind of alive "for real" in a sense.

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 17th Sep 2018 17:54
I found this low poly 3d Shooter written in an Excel macro I thought was worthy of this thread
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2018 18:30 Edited at: 17th Sep 2018 18:37
Fubar that is a completely different aesthetic to the ultra low poly flat shaded look Xaby is focused on here BUT I think it's very cool someone found a way to make their (perhaps boring) job more fun. Instead of staring at and working on spreadsheets and related number crunching & visualization macros they produced something arguably much more interesting. LOL!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:14:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:14:26