Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Process for making Decal or Overlay

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have some items that I wish to make as decal/overlay, such as new blood splatters and such. I created 3 different versions of each item I wish to use in white, black and alpha channel. Now I have no idea how to convert them for use as an overlay/decal. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 05:59
See my sig

Get Decal Maker Now!
Click Here!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 19:21 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 19:22
Stamina,

Make some copies of deafult decal and overlay images and open them in a paint program and see how they are constructed. To have transaprency you need an alpha channel. To have an animated decal look at something like the smoke decal and you will see how the animation is created with a series of images.

Copy and study too the associated script files.

From an understanding of those you can make your own with original names and set them up following the default guidelines.

A more detailed explanation of how to make and execute them effectively will take a much longer post which I am not getting into here.

You will need to learn for yourself anyway as making new ones can be trickey and individual ones may require some dexterity from the user different possibly in each case to get them to work exactly as you wish.

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info. I REALLY am trying to learn on my own,,just sometimes I get lost in the process and as much as I hate to ask questions when I cant figure stuff out. But I really appreciate everyone's help and I plan on contributing more to the community as s oon as I am able to learn all this stuff.

Thanks
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 23:29
Stamina,

I have found that making decals and getting them to work correctly in FPSC can be a bit tricky as each needs kinda individual attention - what works with one deal dont always for another so you have to play about with them a little bit.

As long as you have a paint program that can do the alpha channel you are half way there - the rest can be discoved just by looking at the default ones, how they work and where the various scripts and things go.

Just start off with making a simple one and get it set up in a test level - once youve done one decal and one overlay its much easier to see what works - although as said each seems to take a little persuassion to get it exactly as you want it.

Good luck and have some patience and you will get there.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 02:43
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 02:46
Just been there - very good.

My these forums are looking up.

Login to post a reply