Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Bond1's Game Engine Mod - Multiple Timer Fix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 17:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 01:38
I decided to fix something on my own that has been bothering me (and others) for some time. Currently you can only have one timer per level. That is, every script that uses the TIMERGREATER/TIMERSTART functions shares the same internal timer. So it's pretty much impossible to have separate or simultaneous timed events in your game, which sucks.

I modified the source and have added 4 new timer conditions and 4 new timer actions to the scripting language. So now you can have a grand total of FIVE different timers per level! Woohoo! They can all be used simultaneously and since they all have a separate internal timer, they all work independently of each other.

The new actions are:
TIMERSTARTTWO
TIMERSTARTTHREE
TIMERSTARTFOUR
TIMERSTARTFIVE

The new conditions are:
TIMERGREATERTWO
TIMERGREATERTHREE
TIMERGREATERFOUR
TIMERGREATERFIVE

Here is a short video showing three of the timers in action. There are three different lights in the room, all flashing on and off at different speeds, each one using a separate script with a separate timer. Now you can have a disco/dance club atmosphere!

http://hyrumark.zftp.com/testlight.avi

And here is the engine mod with instructions. Simply copy the included "FPSC-Game.exe" into your root FPSC folder, overwriting the old one, and use FPS Creator as you normally would. The new scripting commands are now availalbe to you. They function identically to the TIMERSTART/TIMERGREATER commands already in FPSC.

BACKUP YOUR OLD "FPSC-Game.exe" FIRST, JUST IN CASE!"

http://hyrumark.zftp.com/bond1_FPSmod.zip

[EDIT]: You'll also need the FPS Creator files in the DBPro enhancement pack located here, follow the instructions included:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrade_6_2

Have fun, I think this a very important update for FPSC, at least for me.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 17:31
Nice work Bond! An excellent update with a clear and simple install. Thank you.

Crazy Grandpa
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 17:45
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! Many thanks bond1.

P.S. Do you check your yahoo e-mail regular?
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 18:01 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 18:01
Quote: "P.S. Do you check your yahoo e-mail regular? "

Yeah, but for now it's bedtime, I just got off a long midnight shift, and I've been digging around the source code all night. Will check back later...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 10:54 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 12:30
Well, hopefully you guys backed up your original. I found a bug in the newest FPSC source, flak weapons don't work correctly, read about it here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85249&b=21

I did a straight compile of the unchanged source code to confirm this, and the bug it still there, so the bug appears to be related to version U62 of DBPro. Damn, this is a bummer, so close...

Too bad I don't have the original version of the source code and the correct version of DBPro to compile it, at least I would be able to add the new timer functions and still have everything else functioning as it should.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 16:21
with two working timers... would allies be possible?

What version of DB do you need to compile it with. I may be able to help.

I think it's so wierd that whenever people mess with the source and make one good step forwards it results in 3 steps backward somewhere else... Tis the curse of the FPSC

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 16:34 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 16:37
I'd not sure about the allies thing, but with multiple timers many things can be possible, any kind of timed "scripted" event. I've added four more to the source but I could potentially add even more.

You need DBPro 6.2 to compile the newest source. The bad thing is that the unmodified source, when compiled, introduces new bugs into FPSC. I've posted this question to the DBPro forum to see if anyone could confirm this. I've also sent a question to TGC support.

I'd like to at least have a clean working version of the source code to try some stuff, but we'll see...

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 18:39
Well I downloaded it but didn't install it yet so I'm ok.

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 23:28
This will be very helpful too me.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
I installed it and tried to run a test level and it came up with errors and crashed. Now removed and unmodified FPSC .exe back in place.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Same here,,even with DX 9.0c
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 01:26 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 01:43
Ok, in addition to my source mod you guys ALSO need to have the files in the DBPro enhancement pack for FPS Creator to run my new compile. Sorry forgot to mention that in my original post.

Located here:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrade_6_2

If you REALLY want to try out my new source mod just install these new files in your FPS Creator folder.

But at this point, there's little reason to install this update until the new bugs get sorted out, still waiting for a response from TGC.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 01:32
I'm really excited about this dude. I think its honourable that someone is finally just getting on with making the features we need, instead of whinging about it.

If I could understand DB I'd do the same. But i cant. So I'll just leech off you like a freebie grabber!!

Wish you the best getting this to work dude.

butters

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 02:04 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 02:05
Thanks butters. Believe me, I'm no programmer. I bought DBPro just so I could see what the source code for a 3d engine looks like.

After just an evening of looking through the source (26,000 lines!), I added the timer fix, successfully! A big fix for me personally.

I'm kind of surprised that an experienced programmer hasn't stepped up to fix or add some more stuff...but oh well.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 02:34
hey can you look into something?

I know this is a reach, but can you try and suss out why alttexture commands screw up? It'd be cool to be able to have a 'dead body' texture for a dead enemy...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah alttexture was something else I wanted to look into, and maybe see if there was a way to have MULTIPLE alttextures.

That way you could display another texture when an enemy takes various levels of damage, and yet another one when dead.

But I'm not going to do anymore for now until I get a response from TGC. It's kind of pointless to do any more unless I have a working source to start from. But being that the FPSC source is not officially a supported product from TGC, I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 03:24
well that was what I was thinking, but I didn't want to ask too much!

Like you could use shotdamage=30:alttexture2=bloody.dds or whatever.

I guess if we were good enough we could write it straight into the fpe. that'd be cool.

I'm downloading the demo of DB now. I'm gonna have a little look myself. I've always been interested to see what the engine has to say regarding that limbmax info in the character FPE.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 08:20
Hi Bond1, I did bought the FPSC modelpack with Your models yesterday. I must say that some models are Ok and some are great, but it was one thing I thought about... How come that the texures have sutch a low quality? As a very good modeller I think You shourld have seen this and You courld have fixed it in Photoshop (Or another Photo program..) Its Ok that I have to fix it Myself, couse the models had sutch a low price. But if You want to become a professional graphics artist You def. have to pay more attention to the quality of the textures.. I think You are a natural at making models, so I am telling You this for Your own good. Spend more time working with the textures and Your models will be really professional!
Keep up the good work...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 09:54
Congratulations!You are the first person that I know of to complain about one of the model packs.While you are entitled to your opinion let me ask you a few things that have been asked to you before:
What resolution are you running the test game or built game that you placed the models in?I know for a fact with these models that the textures look better in the highest resolution.If you want the high resolution texture but want to put the model in a low res game you will have to adjust the texture by right clicking on the model and adjusting the texture resolution there.
Did you ever update the drivers on your graphics card or check the settings on this as we all discussed in your other thread?You won't believe how many errors that has fixed.
When I first started using FPSC I had to download the latest drivers for my graphics card.FPSC wouldn't even start up until I did.
What you might do is take a couple of models and place them in a test game and then run it at low res and then hi res.You will definitely see the difference.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 13:48
Thanks Hehe.. Well, most textures looks better in highres. I started to make models 5-6 years ago when I did 3D movies just for fun. I think that I courld have done these models just as well as Bond1, but how mutch time did I save buying them? But when Bond1 is better than Me on Character models, I think I wourld say that I am better at texturing and repair low quality textures.. In this case it dosnt matter how high resulotion You have, couse some of the textures are damaged and can only be fixed in photoshop (Or simular program.) Damaged is not so serious as it sounds, You can only see the bad textures when You are close to the object. Now I havnt tested all objects that Bond1 has made, but the "Bubba Machine" had bad texture as the phone and the "Cigarr Automat"... The good news is that I courld see direct that it will be easy to use a combination of filters to repair thoose textures. People that are making alot of models like Me will look for misstakes not only on My own models. And if I find something that dosnt look good I better tell it, so the graphics artist dosnt do the same misstake next time when making objects...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
What does this have to do with my engine mod?

All of the textures are 512x512, so of course if you're at point blank range than there will be blurriness, and if you don't have them set to use maximum resolution than they will look like crap. But, you have to be more specific than saying they are just "low quality" or "bad". I wouldn't have released them if I thought they were low quality.

But do me a favor and send me an email instead of replying here, this is off topic.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 16:40
Sorry,Bond.I didn't mean to go off-topic.
For the record I bought both model packs and I am going to buy the next one.
I think your work is excellent.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 16:54 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 16:58
Thanks Fred (that wasn't directed at you, you were just replying to Mr. Love).

It DID give this topic a bump though! Still waiting for an official response from TGC...

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 08:18
Sorry for going off-topic, But I courldnt find Your model thread anymore...
Anyway, I can send My fix for the refrigerator and also send My fix for the "Cola Machine".....

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 20:13
Bond, I've recently noticed these problems in the source also. Not the flak one (my game has not yet gotten to the point where I'm putting in explosives) but the blood decals and such. I didn't notice the enemy one, but it might have been there. I haven't fiddled much with the source since I upgraded DBP, and I have to say the 5.9 source seemed to work alot better. I did alot of changes to it, and lost them all when I started with the U62 source. Unfourtunetly, while my changes are simple (although time consuming sometimes) to implant, I have not bothered due to the reasons you have mentioned.

Please tell us what TGC says if and when they reply to your problem.

Speaking of timers though, with DBP 5.9 I had also looked into a timer system - except mine was planned to be entity specific, so they wouldn't and couldn't share timers. I did plan to still have a global timer though. If you want to try it it would involve timers setup in each entity, probally by editing their primary array.

Due to the size of the source and the 6.0 upgrade however I never got around to implanting this, and once the U62 source came out it was the first thing I set out to do. I haven't finished it (and the bugs make me feel it isn't yet worth it) so it's nice to see someone is at least trying and doing well with it. Your mod and the flashlight one are both the only released FPSC source mods that I've seen so far. When the code was first released for 5.9 I thought everyone would try and do what they wanted with it. Of course, I also expected it to be a bit more orginized

While you wait for a reply from TGC I'll tell you if I find any solutions to these problems. I've been with DBP for a long time now and beleive I can at least fix some of it. The bullet holes, however, either require re-formatting the image or re-doing DBP's "add scortch" command.

Alright, now that I've rambled on almost as much as Uman does, I think I can press the post button That and my laptop battery is about to die

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 20:37 Edited at: 4th Aug 2006 21:22
Hey Airslide, matter of fact I just got a reply from TGC today. Indeed it sounds like a bug with U62. I was told to post the specifics in the DBPro bug forum and they would look into it when they do another round of bug fixes.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm hardly a programmer, I've messed around with a few scripting languages like Macromedia Director's Lingo but really nothing to speak of.

I'm totally new to DBPro and I bought it soley for the purpose of tinkering with the FPSC source. I was surprised how easy it was for me to add extra timers and I was anxious to try more. Now making them entity specific is another story, I wouldn't know where to start...

So it was a big disappointment knowing that I couldn't compile a working version even without any changes.

So I'm trying to round up all the files needed to compile the source under 5.9. I have the 5.9 upgrade, but I seem to be missing the enhancement files to compile under 5.9. The enhancements.dll for 6.2 won't work. Oh well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 05:43:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 05:43:10