Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Still not many FPSC games with a story in the game.. Why???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 21:37
Have still not played a single FPSC game with a story. Well, if You want a story You can read them here on the forum. But it feels kind of stupied.. Why not implement the movie or story into the game instead? Even if Your game looks fantastic, and You have alot of cool effects and so on, You have not a chanse without a great story! Who want to shoot people without a reason? 99% of all commercial games has a very cool and important movie-story so that You will understand the reason why You have to kill theese monsters or why You have to kill thoose Guys... Dark Corridors is an example when the maker (The Nerd) at least have tryed to implement talk in first-person. And You did get important info about what happend downstairs and so on... Everybody cant make a 3D Movie, but there are many ways to kill a cat.. Take Max Payne for example, Their intro was fantastic and still it was only made with still pictures, and a voice telling the story, It was great! AREA51 is a good example of how to tell a story.. 1. Tell what has happend, and reason for taking action... 2. Also tell what kind of hero the player is, and tell about Him/Her as a person as well. (Exactly like in AREA51..) If You are serious about making a commercial game that will sell in many & many copies.. Then You must have a great story to tell in Your game. Anyway this is My opinion...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Pitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 21:42
why dont you make us a game with a really great story and post it here on the forums for all of us to enjoy.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 21:59
Becouse I also want to make a commercial game.. This kind of projects takes a long time to finish.. Otherwise I courld have done it for the Showcase..

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 22:03
You have to remember that only some people are gifted enough to devise a good story. And even fewer have the enthusiasm and drive to actual translate it to film/gameplay.

AE

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 22:14
"Their intro was fantastic and still it was only made with still pictures"

Well, to tell a story with still pictures dosnt need to take that long to make.. And I have seen some great examples of storys here in the forum.. Jiffys story was very intresting for example.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 22:22 Edited at: 11th Aug 2006 22:34
Its hard to make them commercial cause of the copy rights and stuff to make a good game like FMVs Story Gameplay its not easy stuff. it takes lots of time and work and before you make a game make sure you have a good budget!!!

And storys are one of the most important!!! like LN for istance most people like it

Quote: "2 years a horrible incident happened a curse upon a city (working name) has been cursed by a woman named Claudia Silverting. Claudia wanted to re cleans the world with evil and rule humanity so Claudia gave birth to her daughter Alice to finish off the ritual to end the world. Claudia said 2 years from this very day we would all die and the other side would rule the world. but then Claudia was murdered and gave her soul to Alice to finish off the curse to break out hell."

First plot to LN. copyrights Liz garcia

MOD EDIT

-Liz

Join The Lucid Nightmare Forums Today!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 22:36
For once(!), I see your point Mr. Love. Story is a very important part. I've actually written a few stories for games and the beggining to a book I never finished, but I've never been able to really get a nice graphical representation of it for a movie or game, nor have I made a game that has yet gotten to the point where implanting a story is worth the time.

I think the problem is that many people who make great games don't nessasarily have the most orignal ideas in mind, and those who do wait to implant it later, but don't as they get to excited they finish a game and release it how it is.

Quote: "Well, to tell a story with still pictures dosnt need to take that long to make.. "

That's not always true. I myself am usually a terrible 2D graphics artist on the computer, except with the occasional sprite for Wolfenstein 3D in 64x64 resolution. I can draw on paper *ok*, but not great. Some of the people who can make excellent 2D pictures and scences can take a very long time to make them, like an artist painting on a large canvas. It may be quicker to make than a movie, but that also depends on the person's skill. Some people do things faster, better, or worse than others. Much of it depends on practice and whether or not they understand it well.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry mods

Join The Lucid Nightmare Forums Today!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 22:59
Quote: "This kind of projects takes a long time to finish"

This may be the reason why you haven't seen very many FPSC games with a good storyline or any at all.
It can take years to make a top notch game...and that is for a company with who knows how many employees.So you can imagine how long or how difficult it will be for one person to do it by himself or herself.
On the other hand,Mr. Love,if you care to show us how it is done...
or rather,as the saying goes,put your money where your mouth is, and show us how it is done then that is fine with me.
Nothing personal.That's just an observation.You can either complain and accomplish nothing or you can do something about it.
On the other hand,there have been a few FPSC games/demos with a storyline.
Then again there are only so many types of stories one can come up with.
While a storyline would be nice there have been several great first person shooters with little to no storyline.
Obviously this is a matter of opinion and there are those that will disagree with me.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 23:18
Well, to make this kind of story in a fps will be quite complicated I think.. It wourld work better in a adventure game I think.. FPS Games really need a quite simple story so You get a grip of it very fast. You shourldnt need to think so mutch about details.. A good exampel can be...

"Year 2258.. Robots has killed over 180000 peoples today. A person is behind this murder but none knows who it is. The few heroistic people that has tryed to find an answer has just disappered without a clew! (Short story. Then a presentation of the Hero (You)..) You are planning a strike of the old robot-factory.. Your name is John Blund a former computer programmer that has joined the rebel force.. And so on... (Some action and shooting is always great to have in a story movie..)

About the copyright thing... If You use some textures that is not Yours, dont worry! 99% dont care about it. And next time they will borrow textures from You! And it is almost impossible to proof that a texture is Mine, His or Hers...

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 23:41
Quote: "About the copyright thing... If You use some textures that is not Yours, dont worry! 99% dont care about it. And next time they will borrow textures from You! And it is almost impossible to proof that a texture is Mine, His or Hers... "

You are full of it.I can instantly recognize my own work and I can prove it is mine.And while using someone else's texture is okay as long as you have a license to do so and give the maker of the texture credit "borrowing" someone's texture without the proper license is stealing...that is piracy,sir.
While I am sure you did not mean borrow in the aforementioned sense it needs to be pointed out that a lot of people do care if you borrow their textures...especially if you do it without their permission or fail to give them credit.
Check around with anyone who is fairly serious about modeling...
Jon Fletcher
Bond
KeithC
Higggins
Candle
Locrain
and the list goes on.
Not only can any modeler identify their own work on sight but I am willing to bet that they can also prove that they made their model.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 23:55
Answer to Fred:

There is no reason why I shourld not be able to make a nice 3D movie.. I have done it before, and I know that I am mutch better today... I have also done hundreds of small demos...

"On the other hand,Mr. Love,if you care to show us how it is done..."

To make a movie to just proof something is not very mature.. My opinion though!
And as You said Yourself, its a matter of Personal opinion and taste.. It took Me 3 hours to make a movie that was 90 sec long.. (It had camera movements and Characters as well..)
It isnt hard to make a movie.. It just takes time.. But We are talking hours, not years....

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:01
"I can instantly recognize my own work and I can prove it is mine."

How? If People put there textures on internet, they better not be surpriced if people use them...

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:16
Quote: "About the copyright thing... If You use some textures that is not Yours, dont worry! 99% dont care about it. And next time they will borrow textures from You! And it is almost impossible to proof that a texture is Mine, His or Hers... "

Boy I sure do love the Forum Lawyers; especially the ones that endorse piracy (which is against the A.U.P. by the way).

Let's take the situation of Game Developer 'X'. He/she doesn't know much about legalities, but after reading your statement he/she decides to use textures in their commercial game that are for "Non-Commercial use only". Developer 'X' spends the next year or so working on their game until completion; almost all their textures are for "Non-Commercial use only". They begin to market their "Commercial Game". A few weeks later they get an e-mail from an artis-via his lawyer, demanding to have the textures removed from Developer 'X's game and a monetary settlement for using the artist's textures without permission. Developer 'X' now has to pull his/her game off of his/her site (or off of the shelves), and start over again (if they haven't had to declare bankruptcy of course).

One other point I'd like to make, Mr. Love; it's statements like yours that make developers/Artists stop offering their services/work for free. So I'd appreciate it if you kept your "legal" comments to yourself. Any further talk of 'pirating' will lead to a ban (as per the A.U.P.).

-Keith

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:28
It was only FredP that was talking about pirating.. Not Me!! I was only curious how I can proof that My textures are really mine?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:32
Unless you severly alter a texture, it's not hard. There was already a member banned a while back for trying to sell textures he got from Psionic's site. I honestly don't know why anyone bothers trying to pirate Psionic's work, since everybody recognizes it now.

-Keith

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:37
I made a game one time with a name I thought was mine and when I had it on my web site some company found it and I got an email telling me I had to remove that name as it was theirs.
Or they would sue me.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 00:45
Thats why the yellow pages is so good!

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 01:33 Edited at: 12th Aug 2006 02:22
yeah thats true

*never mined fixed it!!*

-liz

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 01:39