Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WORLD V0.9 Beta - Free World Builder for DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hei DBKing
Excelent!
The program donĀ“t suport tga alphas?
Alemar
dononeton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 17:58
When I try to nevigate through the level the Y axis flips

don
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
WONDERFULL!!! Can I use it on Commercial games?

Project FPS - 71%
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 18:53 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 19:03
@Almer:
At the moment, you cant apply textures to objects. Im working on this. But, objects with textures already on them can obviously be loaded.

@dononeton:
well.. that will be the 12th bug in the program now. I've fixed a lot of bugs yesterday for V1.00. Thanks for that.

@bdgbdg:
Of course you can!
You can include it with your own commercial games as a map editor. The only thing I would object to is if somebody was to sell WORLD as a stand-alone program.

Two things you should know:
- you dont need to pay anything for WORLD because it is free!
- You dont have to credit me in your games (although it would be nice!).

EDIT:
Just want everyone to know how much progress on V1.00 i've made over the last few days:

= done = working on = planned

Entity System. It works by allowing you to give meaningful names to objects and also allows you to jump straight to an object, rather than trying to find it. Useful in large worlds.
Light Mapper. I've still got to finish the entity system because the light mapper relies on some information from it.
DBP primitive support - Allow you to insert DBP Primitives and a few others.
Object collisions. A feature that can be turned on or off. Allows you to accuratly place objects without overlapping them and will color an object green if it is overlapping.
Extra bits and pieces. Im going to add an axis marker, pretty much like those you find in 3DS max or other modelling applications. It will allow you to move, rotate and scale objects the same way as you can in 3D Studio Max, by just clicking on an axis and dragging the mouse. (not sure how im going to do this yet though).
Bug fixes and changes. So far i've fixed 8 bugs that exist in V0.9. And I've made quite a few changes.
New help files. This may take a bit of time. Since there is a lot of changes since V0.9.
Support for loading V0.9 worlds.

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm currently developing both Project FPS (and FPS) and a racing game. For the racing game I think I'll use this world builder...

Project FPS - 71%
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 23:01
Can't wait for this!!! And also just a thought, I think it might make more sense if colliding objects were colored yellow, or red, rather than green. Just a thought.

-H4ck1d

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 23:52 Edited at: 28th Sep 2006 23:55
@bdgbdg:
Man.. I love FPS and racing games. Good luck with them.

@H4ch1d:
aaa damn, I typed that wrong didn't I, I was meant to say, it colors them red, not green.... sorry about that, just my bad typing.

Well im hoping you dont have to wait very long. The only thing stopping me releasing at the moment is to bad bugs and a few little problems with the light mapper. Apart from that it will be ready soon.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 00:35 Edited at: 29th Sep 2006 00:36
Seveeral things that would make this program awesome is:

1) A test button, to test your app (F5 for a shortcur key)
2) The ability to browse for media
3) A script area that you can add DBPro code to the world being created.
3) The ability to add all code for things like light and collision support.

Really what would be awesome is if you made it so that people could make their entire game inside this app without having to even opening up DBPro, but that may not be where you want this program to go.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 11:35
Sunflash, this is a world builder for DBP. I don't really intend on making a game builder.

The aim of this program was to provide a simple, powerful and free world builder which people could easily use, without the hassle you would find by using just DBP/DBC to build your worlds.

I will however Sunflash, be providing extra functions which can be used to get information about the world, such as WORLD entity names, object count, light map names, etc. Eventually (maybe by V2.00) there will support for my memblock terrains which people can deform, splat textures onto, reload quickly, check collisions against and so on. Maybe then, There will be part of a game engine for people to use with the program.

But the ease of use will still remain, whatever version the program maybe at. Worlds will still require only 2 commands to load them, whatever version.

Thanks for your suggestions though, Sunflash.

Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 11:16
This is pretty cool. When will the lightmapper-enabled version be out?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=82195&b=8
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 12:01 Edited at: 30th Sep 2006 12:03
@Keemo:
Well, at the moment im having a few problems getting the light maps to save correctly, but I am making progress. I'm hoping for sometime next week (or sooner).

It's just the light map problem and a couple of bugs, stopping me from releasing V1.00. Oh, and I need to write new help files and tutorials for it as well.

Myles
Years of Service
User Offline
Realy nice job i did this-

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 21:16
@Myles: what is it? is that the start of something in WORLD or the start of your own world builder?

Cant quite tell, but its a good start.

Myles
Years of Service
User Offline
Its ure program, i made terrain for it
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 23:19
well, nice start. Sky looks good.

Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 22:19 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2006 08:23
Sorry, i diden't see there wa a page 2
no one
Years of Service
User Offline
Where do I download this?
The only link I can find is the one for 9.0b which is badly out of date(not even Y positioning).

<?>
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you know when we should expect version 1.0?
Timmeh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 03:23
Looks realy nice but this pops up every time I try to run it:

I know I have DirectX9 so I have no clue what's going on, any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 08:56
Looks great!
I am going to wait for V1.00. I also need to learn 3D Modelling before I can make some levels!

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 10:29
@no one:
There is Y positioning, you just have to select an object, click the Y positioning tool on the right of the screen, then use R and F to position the object along the Y axis.

I will admit though, the controls are badly designed in V0.9, but after all, that was a BETA version.

V1.00 controls will be a heck of a lot better because if you dont like the controls you can change them to however you prefer them.

@Advancement Games:
Well, if all goes well (i.e. I dont find anymore bugs) and I get the light mapper working properly, It should be out by the end of this week or the start of next week. i've be doing a lot to the program yesterday, fixing a bad bug, working on the light mapper and adding a few extra things.

@Timmeh:
What does the error message say, the screenshot you have there is a little too small. Have you installed the latest version of DirectX 9.0c ?
I think the current version is August 2006.

@Darth Vader:
Thanks DV. You wont have very long to wait for V1.00 now.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 07:28
Well I actually couldn't resist trying it looks good but the controls are annoying! I couldn't figure them out!

I can't wait for V1.00 it is going to be great!
Just one question, How Easy will it be to implement Sparkys Collision?

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 13:22 Edited at: 5th Oct 2006 13:24
@Darth Vader:
Sparky's Collision has already been implemented into the program. However, it is only used at the moment for helping users identify when objects are overlapping each other by coloring them red when they are colliding (accuratly, however).

Are you under the impression that collision code could be exported and used in games?

I'm aiming to have physics implemented in V1.1. The 3 physics engines that I was going to add were ODE, Newton and Dark Physics (Ageia PhysiX).

As for the controls, I agree with everyone that I never really give the controls any proper thought in V0.9. I'm making sure they will meet everybodies keyboard style this time by allowing the customization of the controls.

I'm already working on the complete documentation for the program, so help files are garenteed for V1.00.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 14:17
Quote: "Are you under the impression that collision code could be exported and used in games?"

Yeas thats exactly what I mean!

For example I make this huge map full of objects, walls, trees, guns, ammo, cars etc then I save it and load it into DBpro; it will be one hell of a task to get all the objects number and check the collision for each individual object! That would be a nightmare!

Okay maybe not that bad but still a task and a half!
If you could implement Sparkys DLL that would be a great feautre!

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 18:16
@Darth Vader:
Well, since you think it's a great idea, i've added to my 'things to add' list. I've come up with a way I could add such a feature.

However, I dont really want to delay V1.00 much longer, so i'll try and add the exportable sparky's collsiion code for V1.1.

Thanks for the idea Darth Vader.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
The link for 0.9 was not working for me the other day. I cannot download it on this computer, however, because I am on my BSD machine. I'll try it again tomorrow.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 06:00
Oh Yeah thanks DBking!
Can't wait for this program I am waiting for it for my game! Make it easier to create maps then using DBpro!

Keep up the brilliant work!

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 18:17 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 18:22
I've made more progress on WORLD today. I've decided to start adding a basic texture system now. There are two reasons for this. One, because the light mapping system has to rely on it and two, I've added a few primitive object tools which would obviously need object textures to be applied to them, once they've been created.

In later versions im going to expand on the texture system and maybe add a complete UV mapping system into the program.

As for the rest, I've fixed up a few new tools for the light mapper, added a toolbar buttons to the toolbar that was empty in V0.9 and added a few more little bits and pieces.

Heres some other features im hoping to add in the future (i.e. after V1.0 is released):

Full UV mapping support. Allow you to manipulate the UV Co-ordinates of an object easily.
A complete terrain system. The terrain engine I am thinking of would not be like other terrain systems you see around here. I was thinking of adding all the usual stuff, but the real difference would be the ability to create underground passages and caves through the terrain. I know it is possible through the use of memblocks, vertex manipulation and CSG so dont think I wont do it!
Physics system, giving users the option to select from ODE, Newton or Dark Physics. Users will also be able to test their worlds in WORLD, without having to export.
Sparky's collision code export support (suggested by Darth Vader)
Shader Support. Ablity to apply shaders to objects.
Script system. This is probably the hardest and most useful feature to implement, but I can do it. It means that advanced users could add new buttons, menus and other stuff to WORLD to fit the needs of their own game engine. By this I mean, they could personalize WORLD for their own game engine requirements. I still haven't decided yet if I should create my own script system, use XML or use LUA.
Sound System. Ability to select from the stock DBP sound system, Torrey's advanced audio plugin or the enhancement pack EAX sound system. I'll probably end up adding a few audio manipulation tools into the system as well.
Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) system. This would allow users to combine, slice, subtract or join objects together. The advantage of this is that you would be able to optomize some parts of your world, for example, two buildings with two of their outside walls (not visible to the naked eye) against each other could have them removed to reduce the poly count, without reducing the visible quality of either of the buildings. Implementing this feature depends on how many people think it would be useful though.
particle system. The ability of being able to choose between the cloth & particles expansion or the orignial DBP systems would be available.

Myles
Years of Service
User Offline
COOOL, if u need any help with the terrain stuff then i dont mind, why dont u just make your own game creator while yout at it
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 22:44
@Myles:
To be honest, im trying to avoid turning it into a game creator because it would reduce the flexability given to users, allowing them to just load the level into their game, and do the rest the way they want to do it.

Im just trying to keep it as an extremely flexable world building tool that will appeal to many different people.

Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 01:26
One feature would be cool dough, If you for exampel want's to create a third person shooter game then it would be easier just to add the enimes into the world witout the need to code, or can i do that now? Im a bit confused
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 04:00
The way he talks about his entity system, you might be able to do that already.

RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 09:27
Hey, would everything we create with the world be royalty free? (meaning we could sell the games we made, even if we used the WORLD)
Great work by the way

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 11:37
Will the lightmapper have support for transparent/translucent objects, so that if you have a red translucent object, it makes the light red? I know it's not really very important, but it's about the only thing your not already working on!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 11:40
WOW sweet this'll be great for what i need

Get an autouvmapper in there now

I'm back! Great to be back | Watch out for one of my projects soon that will be finished
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 12:27
@Mallex:
You can already place whatever objects you want, soooo, yes you could place enemies in the world, but WORLD doesnt export AI code, it's just a world builder.

@RadiusOFT:
Yes, it is royalty free.

@Diggsey:
Eventually yes. Im hoping to implement this feature in V1.1.

@Chris Franklin:
Quote: "WOW sweet this'll be great for what i need "

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
So, we can place entities with version 1, and then use them as non-static objects in our games, right?
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
Stunning work very good!
Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 12:53
But then after i import to DBP, then is it possible to edit the objects code?, like placing the (in this case) enemies were you want them in WORLD then export to DBP and change that object's code.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 21:10 Edited at: 9th Oct 2006 21:11
I just want to let you know that I am going to have to put work on WORLD on hold until after November 31st.

I'm been trying to work on my competition entry for the TGC competition but have not been able to since i've been working on WORLD.

I need to get on with my hardware entry for the competition as I only have 8 weeks to make a decent attempt. It will be the first competition I enter and I hope to make it a good entry.

I hope you all understand and please, dont think that I am going to stop working on WORLD and just forget about it, because im not. After putting So much work into the program, I dont think it would be wise to never bother with it again after the compo has finished.

EXPECT to see V1.00 of WORLD after the TGC PhysiX hardware compo finishes. hope you understand guys (and girls).....

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
SUGAR COOKIES! I was planning on starting my game with WORLD. Oh well, I'll just try 3dws instead.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 23:21 Edited at: 9th Oct 2006 23:25
For some reason, I just cant seem to pull myself away from WORLD. Not long after I announced that I was going to do what I said, I carried on working on it.

WORLD just seems to have me hooked.

Apart from that, realisticly thinking though, I'd never get a good entry for the competetion finished in time, soooooo back to WORLD!

Anyway, I've been working on the texture system a little bit, just adding the ability to texture objects, but only simple support at the moment.

Im wondering if anybody has a level or part of a level I could use to give the lightmapper a decent test run. I could make my own level, but it means spending more time than i said before releasing V1.00.

@Advancement games:
sorry to shock you like that, just ignore the last post.

Reading back on that last post of mine makes me wonder if my head was screwed on upside down.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
That's okay DBKing. Now we're back on track!!!
dbpro lover
Years of Service
User Offline
hi there!

I have imported the world map with dbpro, but i have "automatic object collision" on it. This does not work. Any ideas on how to make
it work? THANKS!

Jeff.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking pretty cool. If it turns out as usefull as it looks and sounds and you keep it free,ill send a donation just to support you.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 23:54 Edited at: 11th Oct 2006 00:00
@Advancement Games:

@dbpro lover:
does the world map work without 'automatic objecy collision' on it?

@x1bwork:
Yeah, i'll definatly be keeping it free, but im not sure how useful it will be to everybody yet.... only time will tell, once V1.0 finally gets released that is.

Not sure how to handle donations as i've never been offered a donation before (so that makes me a noob at this kind of stuff...),I dont have a website for the program yet, although I am planning one for after I have V1.0 released. Thanks for offering though.

@all of you:
I'll upload a screenshot sometime tomorrow of how the program is shaping up so far, just to quell any doubts people may have about me making any progress on the program.

dbpro lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
@dbpro lover:
does the world map work without 'automatic objecy collision' on it?
"

Well, when i do that, i can go right trough the walls, and that is not what i want... Can you help me please?
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 19:16
Well I cant really help you on the DBP collision commands as i've never really used them, but when I eventually get Sparky's collision command code to export with worlds from my program, I can definatly help you on it.

Sorry, but I've never used DBP collision commands enough to get them working.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm anxious for a release!!! Just bumping the topic up.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 22:58
@Advancement games:
Im working as fast I can on it. If I go too quick on it though, I'll make a lot of mistakes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:08:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:08:35