Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] December/January FPSC Level Design Competition: Official Rules.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:22 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 22:04

Welcome to the December/January Edition of the FPSCreator Level Design Competition. This month's theme is: Urban.

Here are the rules:

- You may use custom media; to include entities, segments, sounds, music, and scripts, etc. Just remember that all the levels will be made public once the competition has been judged, and a decision has been made public.

- There will be NO stealing, pirating, or unauthorized borrowing of media/music/or scripts to be used in your level. If this is discovered, you will be automatically disqualified and possibly banned from the forums. If you're not sure if its OK to use someone else's material; then the best thing to do, is not use it. If you do use someone else's material, then you must have WRITTEN permission to do so (unless the permission is given in the license agreement; i.e., free for 'commercial or non-commercial'). Forging written permission will also result in punative action.

- Your level must be in an installer or a compiled .exe; no .FPM files will be accepted. The file size limit is [b]200 MB
; but try to keep your levels as small as possible. Remember, this is a level design contest; part of the design process is to optimize the size of your levels. All entries must be uploaded to the designated site (we will NOT be using FileFront), which is Ozark Games. You will have to register (for free) as a member in order to PM Just One Old Man (JOOM) to receive your upload instructions. To register, click here.

- Your levels must be complete; that is, they should have a clear beginning, and a clear end.

- Remember that the forum rules still apply; in that there will be no nudity, or swearing allowed. Either of those items present in your level could be grounds for disqualification (an attempt to contact the designer may be made, but is not required).

- The start of this contest begins the moment you finish reading this post; the Deadline is February 1st (2007). Any entries recieved after 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time (23:59 for the rest of the world) on February 1st, will NOT be considered for this contest...NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.

___________________________________________________________________[/b]

- Your level must have a story associated with it; the story can be presented in any manner you see fit (through cutscenes, pop-up dialogue boxes, etc.).

- The physical "look" of your level can be whatever you wish (i.e., WWII segments, Fantasy segments, Sci-Fi segments, etc.).

- Weapons/Gunfights are not mandatory.

- It is required that you exit and enter at least 2 separate buildings, set in an Urban Environment. This requirement will be judged heavily. The intent is to ensure a real urban feel, and not just a gunfight in an office or warehouse that you never leave.

- You should have a level objective, other than getting from point 'A' to point 'B'.[/b]

*Some basic criteria (what the judges will look for):

- Level Design (how well your level is layed out, and flows)

- Custom Media (this includes art and sound)

- Following the Theme (how closely did you stick to the requirements); which will be worth more points than the other catagories.

- GamePlay (your frame-rate is a factor)

- Fun Factor (is your level fun to play, or just something the judge has to get through; were there any innovations going on)

- Completeness (does your level have a clear beginning and end)

- Menu System (is the menu original, or standard)

This is a generic list of the requirements the judges will be given (their list will be more detailed). Each category can net you a total of 5 points each; except the Theme catagory, which will net you 10 points. After all the results are in, each entrant's points will be added up; the highest score wins (and so on).

Some items may be modified on this list, but nothing major.

You may now BEGIN.

-Keith

The Judges

- FredP
- Luke314pi
-Tschwarz

The Prizes (so far)

1st Place has their choice of any 1 TGC Model Pack (courtesy of TSchwarz); in addition to:

**The Top 3 Winners will receive:
Signs IV, and OG WWII Pack #1 automatically.**

Then choose 1 from the following: (according to your rank)

-Luke's Horror Pack

-ECS Pro

-CorePack Vol. 1

-Silent Thunder's Segment Pack

-Custom 'Store' script for your online marketplace (by Black Terror). Find out more [b]here
[/b]

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:53
Sounds great Keith, but I never found time for the last one.

With the NVIDIA contest so close I am going to focus on it first.
If I can finish my entry for that, then I will definitely enter this.
All this with the holidays...who knows.

I like the Urban Theme though.
Good Luck guys.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:59
Keith, can you do a horror, puzzle, adventure theme ontop of the urban setting?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:08
@Conjured; I hope you give it a go.

@Higgins; as long as you follow the theme, and the criteria I have set forward...anything additional is fine. It could even add to the enjoyability of your level and net you some extra points in gameplay, fun-factor, etc.

-Keith

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:29
W00T!!!

another contest.

btw: Keith, did you get a chance to dig up my score yet?

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:32
Well, I think I am going to be making free time for this competition. The urban theme sounds fun and challenging, especially effectively creating some sort of outdoors to go between those 2 buildings.

- Damon
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:43
Yahoo! im starting RIGHT NOW! I just uber insperation!

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:06
sounds fun. I'll start this weekend.

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:06
Ya!!! Another one. Time to get started.

I love butter
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:25
Maybe closer to the deadline I'll consider putting up Decal Maker V6 up as a prize for this contest too, first I've got to get a working beta together for the last winner

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:54
@Keith, i suppose you could also put up my segment pack again.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 03:02
i cant enter the nVidia comp (i think) but this sounds very interesting, i may actually enter this one, i have basic ideas, and i wanted to make an ingame reel by this theme anyway, so this could be a good opportunity.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 03:07 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 03:17
yee ha! now, when you say "urban" by whos standards? ours, or crazy little tribesmen? Im not saying anything, i just want to know if it has to be a human city...

EDIT: are there any points for custon scripts?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 04:02
@Silent Thunder: Your strengths were your menu, sound, and game art. You lost points because other entries seemed to stick a little closer to the theme. I think everyone went into this one expecting medieval levels, knights and all. Still, you pulled it off well. Thanks for putting up your pack again.

@Jon; glad to see you'll be joining us this time. Would you mind putting up CorePack #1 again?

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 04:05
Custom scripts would fall under the "Gameplay; Fun-Factor; and possibly Level Design" categories. I think everyone's visualizing "human" urban environments; but if you want to try a "Star Wars-esque" type of level, go for it.

-Keith

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 07:22 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 07:24
Quote: "@Silent Thunder: Your strengths were your menu, sound, and game art. You lost points because other entries seemed to stick a little closer to the theme."

yea, i kinda figured that after seeing the other entries.

Quote: "Still, you pulled it off well."

thanks.

Quote: "Thanks for putting up your pack again."

anytime, but nobody seems to be interested in it based on the previous compo.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 09:41
Quote: " Your level must have a story associated with it; the story can be presented in any manner you see fit (through cutscenes, pop-up dialogue boxes, etc.)."

OK, just want to check if is this is good enough as a story.....

Someone goes and applies for a job. He is hired as a recruit and has to accomplish some missions. If he does them well he's hired for the job.

I know it's a short story, so let me know if that's good enough.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 10:30
Quote: "Would you mind putting up CorePack #1 again?"

sure.

i have a storyline which has been in my head for about a year or two now, originally for a reel, i wont go into detail, FPSC might not actually be able to handle it yet, must run some tests

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 13:30
As long as the stories present at minimum, a reason for the levels' existence. Of course the better presented, and integrated your story is; the more interesting it will be to the judges, I suspect.

Thanks for putting up the pack, Jon.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 15:33
Thanks Keith!

Jon, I've emailed you with a question about my October level contest, but had no reply..... did you get the email?

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 17:05
i dont think so, sorry, re-send if you want.

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 18:31
Can I make a credits for models and audio as a video on beginning with Game Cover 2?

SIXOFT - This is not just a game, this is a SIXOFT game.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 18:36
You can make a video and then impliment it into the opening of your game with Game Cover 2.

Will we lose marks if we don't have any custom media?

I mean, could someone just using stock and model pack material get the same score as someone with custom media?

AE

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 19:09 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 19:51
When we can make a showcase of an our competetion games? After the competetion?
EDIT: Can I create the contest game with v 1.03 or 1.04 with save/load addon?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 19:37
@AE; it is very possible to just use the stock media and get a good score, it's all in how you design it. Those who go to the trouble of putting together custom media, may be rewarded also.

@Johny E.; I always put up a thread that showcases the levels, as well as giving point information and wonner status.

-Keith

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 02:21
When you say

Quote: "- Menu System (is the menu original, or standard)"

do you mean using custom graphics, or actually coding an original program to hand;e the options?

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 02:24
I mean does it look like you just plugged in the menu GUI that comes with FPSC, or did you make an attempt at something original. This category will also look at compatability (did you use a sci-fi menu for a WWII level?).

-Keith

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 04:39
I am really excited about being a judge for this contest, it's a great theme and with the extra time I'm looking forward to seeing some great levels.

Also, Keith forgot to mention that the 1st place winner will also get to pick any one of the five fpsc model packs. So, with all the prizes I hope to see a lot of people enter.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 06:24
Quote: "Also, Keith forgot to mention that the 1st place winner will also get to pick any one of the five fpsc model packs. So, with all the prizes I hope to see a lot of people enter. "

wow, that's awesome!!!

but i don't know whether to enter this one or the NVIDIA one.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 06:33 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 06:46
Oops; forgot about that one Terry...adding now.

EDIT: OK, took care of that.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 08:39
Well, NVIDIA contests don't come around to often so, if you feel you have a "really" really strong level that's where I'd go.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 14:21
Luke, can you email me again, so that I can send you the pack?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 17:44
rg, im in a delame. I have a good base for a game in both this contest, and the Nvidia contest, but they both still need a lot of work... So much work, ill only be able to do one. I might not enter this one... *whimper* *sob* *cry* *weep* *wail* but maybe!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 17:56
It'd be nice if they mentioned this in the Newsletter at some point; it's been going on for quite some time now, with levels getting better and better. I just checked out this month's Newsletter, and I didn't see one word about this competition in the FPSC section.

It's not like it's hard to find this thread every month. The community here seems to be doing a good job in marketing FPSC for them; it would be nice to hear a word or two from the head people in charge here, especially for the members who put so much time into their entries each month.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 18:24
Is a urban setting, a city centre? or can it be an area of homes?

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 20:34
homes is generally though of as suburban, urban generall means a city.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 20:41
That's correct, Zaibatsu; it needs to be "urban", rather than "sub-urban". Which isn't to say there can't be houses, they just have to be nestled in some kind of urban environment.

Also take note that the city can be partially destroyed.....

-Keith

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 01:47 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 02:15
cool

Slipknot Rules
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 01:51
butyouman, maybe you should make your own thread for that. And posting an example would be nice

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thx ill edit my last post

Slipknot Rules
Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:12
When is the end of upload the levels?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 21:12
Quote: "- The start of this contest begins the moment you finish reading this post; the Deadline is February 1st (2007). Any entries recieved after 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time (23:59 for the rest of the world) on February 1st, will NOT be considered for this contest...NO EXCEPTIONS will be made."

That's posted right on the front page in bold.

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:39
Well I was about to post about whether a certain word was acceptable or not, and I wasn't able to post with it in the message so, I guess I shall be substituting other words for it in my entry ^_^.

Onto my other question then, since it is an urban setting, do we need to see people around, or would be welcome to have a, hmm..."barren" urban setting?

Thanks.

- Damon
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 23:14
A barren setting is fine; people are not required. You could be the last person on earth...as long as you're in a city.

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 01:04
Thanks for the clarification Keith.

- Damon
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 02:00
I'm excited about this theme. My level is coming along very well so far now that I know that FPSC is more capable of things than I though

Tiggle bitties you say? What is that?

I don't know.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 14:11
I would start my level, but I have no textures.

(by the way, am I on nooby status for ever? I dont think Indi likes me, lol)

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 15:39
But when you will tested the competetion games?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 16:05
Testing will begin the day after the deadline. I e-mail the links to all entries to the Judges (along with the Judges' criteria sheet). As the results come back to me, I start to generate a scoresheet for each entrant. After each judge has given me a result for each entry, I tally the scores, and assign placements. Then I usually (depending on what time it is) generate the usual layout and post it in the Forums here (unstickying the previous contest entries thread).

The process usually takes about a week. Then the next competition's rules are posted.

-Keith

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 16:14
Its interesting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 05:27:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 05:27:20