Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 08:31
GIL - you remember that terrain editor that (I think) VanB made a while back?

He had some cool "brushes" in that terrain editor and it does the same shader technique... point being that his code might be worth a study to see how he got his edges fairly smooth.

frankly - this is one of the parts of game making I think I like more than the game stuff at times... terrains to me are like painting or something...

--Jason

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 12:47
Looking great, nice work! Keep it up!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 03:01
Quote: "GIL - you remember that terrain editor that (I think) VanB made a while back?

He had some cool "brushes" in that terrain editor and it does the same shader technique... point being that his code might be worth a study to see how he got his edges fairly smooth. "

TERSCULPT? Yup, I've been looking through the source code for it and it's helped quite a bit .

Thanks once again to some help from Green Gandalf, I managed to get better terrain texture blending working today (so each pixel is not 100% one texture). Here's a screen where I just randomly painted textures everywhere to demonstrate:

Video probably this weekend of just the editor.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 12:03
Cool, the terrain seems to really come together now.

Cant wait for the video.

9cdfb439c7876e703e307864c9167a15
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 16:08
Looking really good. When can we have a go at the editor? Seriously, I'm still using Matedit...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 17:42
Quote: "Cool, the terrain seems to really come together now.

Cant wait for the video."

Thanks .

Quote: "Looking really good. When can we have a go at the editor? Seriously, I'm still using Matedit..."

Thanks. If I continue at the same pace I have been working on it, I'd guess within a couple weeks .

BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 13:57
That default texture looks like GrassA from Age of Mythology. :p

Keep it up Gil.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 04:02 Edited at: 13th Sep 2010 06:47
Quote: "That default texture looks like GrassA from Age of Mythology. :p

Keep it up Gil."

Hehe, the textures are temporary right now, not sure where they're even from, so I'll have to make sure and use royalty free one's before I release.

I got a lot of work done on quest viewing/editing this weekend. I've decided to not make them editable, only viewable, within the World Editor, but there is a button to open the script .txt file in an external program. It's just not worth the work for a visual scripting system that isn't much better than directly editing the script by hand.

Now I'm working on and object list and editing multiple objects at once (moving/rotating them), after that I'll probably post a video of the world editor (not sure how interesting that will be) of it's current features, probably sometime this week.

Also, here's a list of features I'm planning for the world editor beta release to have and my estimated progress on them. Keep in mind that not everything is weighted equally (as in, terrain editing might have taken me 30 hours of work, whereas grid snapping would take 30 minutes of work, even though they are each only listed as one item).

= 80%-100% done
= 20%-79% done
= 0%-19% done

Edit Terrain (90%)
View Quests (90%)
Object List (90%)
Import Objects (90%)
Edit Objects (90%)
Edit Buildings (90%)
Edit NPCs (80%)
Load/Save (80%)
Edit Books (80%)
Edit Multiple Objects (80%)

Object Groups (30%)
Edit Environment (20%)

Undo/Redo (0%)
Markers (0%)
Copy/Paste (0%)
Scale Textures (0%)
New World (0%)
Edit Resources (10%)
Edit Consumables (0%)
Edit/View Crafts (0%)
View Object Types (0%)
List Interiors (0%)
Grid Snapping (0%)
Paint Objects? (0%)
Environment Stamps? (0%)

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 20:22 Edited at: 13th Sep 2010 20:24
I agree with you on the quest editor, it will make it easier for you that way too.

Hope you make the world editor video soon!

Is it possible to put custom models into a folder and it will automatically be added to the game? This would be great if possible, would open for alot of modding.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 20:51 Edited at: 13th Sep 2010 20:54
Quote: "Is it possible to put custom models into a folder and it will automatically be added to the game? This would be great if possible, would open for alot of modding."

Yes it is . I'm making the game very script-dependent so that it's easy for others (or myself) to modify. Object types are all scripted so that they can be easily added or changed. Some examples:

I've also created a simple UI editor that defines where buttons are on UI's so that someone (including myself) can easily modify them.

Quests are obviously scripted as well, I'm in the process of developing a sort of language for it (and have developed an interpreter which defines variables based on it, the hard part will be acting on those variables and parameters within the engine). Here's an example of what a quest script might look like (like I said, at the moment all the game is capable of doing is parsing and storing the data, not actually acting on it):

And then NPC's are also scripted:

Obviously there would be a bit of a learning curve to mod it, but I guess that's with any game, and I'm trying to make it as simple as possible.

So the short answer: yes .

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 21:35
That is very impressive, looks like you have put an extreme amount of work into making this a good game engine open for modding.

Is the #21 and #173 the object ID?

And if the object "isSellable" then how does it know the object's value?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 22:55
Yup those are the object type id's. Each object is an instance of an object type and contains object specific data like position and rotation, while the object type contains generic data that applies to any of its objects, like the file path name or if it is moveable.

Good point with the value, that's something that I haven't implemented yet but the beauty of the scripting is all I'd need to do is add about 3 lines in the code to interpret and store a variable definition of "value".

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 09:49
Quick update:

I spent a lot of time today (about 6 hours) getting the terrain working over multiple segments. Before I just had one 64x64 segment (about 640ftx640ft in game, or 192mx192m for non-Americans), now I have a 10x10 grid of them, so it's about 1.2mi (about 1.9km) across for now, which can be easily changed to be made even larger. It's still not completely done, about 60%, but I think the hard part is over. It was definitely challenging, some of the problems I encountered took me over an hour to fix.

I was originally going to put out a video before doing all this, so it might be a few more days before that happens. But if things keep going at the pace they are now, I'd predict a video by this weekend, and maybe a closed alpha release for the world editor within 3 weeks (I'll ask for volunteers try it out and provide feedback and report bugs) followed by a public alpha release probably a couple weeks later.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 10:10
Nice, going to be interesting to see a big island with lots of jungle and stuff on it

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 18:51
Sorry for the delay, I went out of town unexpectedly this weekend and had a test today, so it put me back a few days. I have two more tests this week, but I'll try and get a video out soon.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good. so have you put much thought into what type of textures your going to include with this? (for painting)

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 08:15
Quote: "looks good. so have you put much thought into what type of textures your going to include with this? (for painting)"

Thanks. Not really, they can be easily changed though .

And the video is up!

Watch on youtube:

or download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qnmgnyjf3sdqcdq

Enjoy, comments and criticism welcome .

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 12:46
Lol at the double rainbow joke.

I like how you can just select a building and jump to its interior.

It looks good except i think you need to work on your terrain editing skills

BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 14:51
I could probably try do some more textures for you Gil, if you want some.

The editor's capabilities seem to have doubled in just a couple of weeks. It looks amazing right now. Can't wait to test it out.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 20:48
Quote: "I like how you can just select a building and jump to its interior."

Yeah, it's pretty useful .

Quote: "It looks good except i think you need to work on your terrain editing skills "

Haha, yeah, I was kind of rushing in the video so I didn't take too much time to be neat.

Quote: "I could probably try do some more textures for you Gil, if you want some.
"

You're welcome to try . They are all easily changeable, I think for the first demo I'm only going to allow 6 textures at a time though (it was complicated enough getting it working with 6 rather than 3, I don't want to deal with increasing to 9 or 12). Maybe when I release the world editor, I'll encourage people to try out their own textures and use the one's I like best in the final product (if they allow me to and they will receive credit of course).

Quote: "The editor's capabilities seem to have doubled in just a couple of weeks. It looks amazing right now. Can't wait to test it out."

Thanks, it's come quite a long way. Hopefully I can get the closed alpha version out within a month, but we'll see .

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
hey gill in the video you said you can view quests but can't make them in the world editor. so then how do quests work? do you link them to the npc/item? and then they just work? im kinda curios about that.

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 07:20 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2010 07:21
Quote: "hey gill in the video you said you can view quests but can't make them in the world editor. so then how do quests work?"

Quests are just scripts in a .txt file that are organized and viewable in the world editor. To actually edit them you can click the "script" button and it will open it in notepad (or whatever your default .txt association is). Here's the script for the blacksmith quest:

So the npc they are linked with is defined in the script, as is whatever items are involved (for example
is a command the engine will eventually interpret to mean make Jack Sparrow give the player 1 of an object of type sword (the * means "of object type", otherwise you could specify an object name).

I'll repost the video since it was at the end of the last page, it might be hard for some people to see/find if they just go to this page.

Watch on youtube:

or download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qnmgnyjf3sdqcdq

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 12:31 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2010 13:24
Very nice work! I'm especially impressed with your dynamic object list handling, with the categories. That must have been a lot of work to implement.

EDIT: I forgot to praise the terrain editor which is fascinating too.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 06:43
Quote: "Very nice work! I'm especially impressed with your dynamic object list handling, with the categories. That must have been a lot of work to implement.

EDIT: I forgot to praise the terrain editor which is fascinating too. "

Thanks . The object list actually wasn't too difficult, I basically recycled the code for the import objects window which I already had.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2010 01:02
I had my first round of tests this semester this last week so I've been pretty busy, but have added a couple things:

-Creating new world
-Saving/loading terrain
-Object grid snapping
-Editor properties window (change cam speed, view dist, and grid snapping)

I'm trying to decide how to do the release. I still want to do a public release within a couple months, but I also want to do a pre-alpha and alpha version that are closed to iron out bugs and get limited feedback. Here are a list of features that I eventually plan to include and are not included yet (in no particular order):
1) Circle brush
2) Advanced edit windows for consumables, resources, and books
3) Copy/Paste
4) Undo/Redo
5) List object types
6) List crafts
7) Stamps (allows you to randomly place trees/rocks/foliage within an area)
8) Markers to help with quest editing
9) Edit environment (weather, time speed, etc.)
10) Markers list
11) Edit object animation triggers
12) Scale object textures
13) Paint objects
14) Group objects to edit

So I need people to tell me which of those features they think should be included in the pre-alpha (small and closed release), alpha (larger closed release), and beta (public release) versions.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2010 09:10 Edited at: 4th Oct 2010 09:13
DIBS ON PRE-ALPHA

srsly

I'd say that the more important core-er functionality should be present in the pre-alpha.

namely:
1) Circle brush
3) Copy/Paste
4) Undo/Redo
14) Group objects to edit

although all the stuff on that list would be awesome

[edit]
also, just a totally random thought - I don't know if you have already, but implementing kaedroho's anisotropic filtering might be good for zooming in and out on the island (it should be quick and easy to implement - its not too important tho)

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 00:15
Okay, I think I'll try and have a limited pre-alpha release within 2 weeks with the following additional features:

-Undo (I think I'll save redo till the alpha release unless I can find an easy way to implement it to the way I'm doing undo right now)
-Copy/paste
-Group objects to edit
-List object types
-Edit environment
-Advanced edit for books, consumables, and resources

I think only about 4-6 people would be a good number for the pre-alpha, I just want a small amount of feedback and don't want to give it out to too many people as unfinished as it is. Please realize that by volunteering I am expecting (although I obviously can't enforce) bug reports, feedback, and suggestions and you will likely be dealing with a lot of bugs and crashes (in fact, I want you to crash it). So please don't volunteer unless you have the time and motivation to spend a bit of time trying different things and recording bugs and feedback. Any volunteers?

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 01:23
I haven't posted on here in a while (I think in the last thread?) but i've been following it silently

I'd be happy to test for you, I've got quite a bit of free time soon so this'd be a great thing to do

cheers.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 02:06
Quote: "I haven't posted on here in a while (I think in the last thread?) but i've been following it silently

I'd be happy to test for you, I've got quite a bit of free time soon so this'd be a great thing to do

cheers."

Sure, thanks for volunteering . Which email and/or IM would you like to be contacted on? Like I said, it won't be ready for a week or so, but I'd like to start compiling that stuff now.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Dibs on Pre-Alpha . This game looks great.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 16:34
Sweet, a demo finally!

Will you post a download link for it here?

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Please realize that by volunteering I am expecting (although I obviously can't enforce) bug reports, feedback, and suggestions and you will likely be dealing with a lot of bugs and crashes (in fact, I want you to crash it)."

Maybe I'll practice some technical writing.

You can contact me at neurofuzzy at gmx dot com

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 23:45
Quote: "Dibs on Pre-Alpha . This game looks great."

Thanks, what email or IM do you want to be contacted at?

Quote: "Sweet, a demo finally!

Will you post a download link for it here?"

The beta? Yes. The others will be closed and only sent to those who volunteer to test and report about it.

Quote: "Maybe I'll practice some technical writing.

You can contact me at neurofuzzy at gmx dot com"

Ok, cool, will do when it's ready .

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2010 00:03
Quote: "Which email and/or IM would you like to be contacted on?"

flash-the-snail(at)ntlworld(dot)com would be best, I don't use the hotmail one anymore.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
kidnajarin(at)live(dot)com is my email.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Any spots left for pre-alpha?

adam-beaumont@hotmail.com is my preferred.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2010 05:25 Edited at: 6th Oct 2010 08:58
Quote: "Any spots left for pre-alpha?

adam-beaumont@hotmail.com is my preferred."

Sure, one or two more would be fine .

Today and yesterday I've added undo and copy and paste, as well as made a bunch of random changes (rearranged the toolbar menu items, fixed some bugs, etc.). So far I'm still on course to have the pre-alpha ready to email to volunteers sometime next week.

EDIT: Worked on it a few more hours and added edit environment window (although they don't affect anything yet) and an objtype list and cleaned a few things up. Now I just have object grouping, the advanced edit for resources/consumables/books, fixing some terrain issues, and polishing whatever else I find until I'm ready for a pre-alpha release.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2010 17:06 Edited at: 7th Oct 2010 17:07
Sign me up for the alpha if possible:

My email is my MSN link on the bottom of my post.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Sign me up for Alpha if possible mine is:
deathead(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

Ranko
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Gil,

I really like your game, this reminds me Pirates of the carribean and redguard made by Bethesda.

Do you have a demo ready or "alpha" ? Where i can find the link please ?

++
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 01:13
@bergice and Deathead:
Sure, I'll add you both to the list.

@Ranko:
Thanks . At the moment there is no demo or alpha. I'm releasing a closed alpha of the World Editor (not the actual game) soon to those who volunteer to test it and provide feedback.

Alright, I've got almost everything ready for the pre-alpha, I expect it to be ready tomorrow or Wednesday. So far I've got:
-Neuro Fuzzy
-Blobby 101
-Eminent
-Satchmo
-bergice
-Deathead

Signed up for the pre-alpha, so I'll be emailing you all within the next few days (hopefully). Thanks for volunteering to help!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 00:20
Ok, I've sent out the emails. As I said in the emails, feel free to post screenshots of your maps here (if you can make one without it crashing ), I'd love to see what people can come up with.

@Eminent: Your email didn't go through to kidnajarin-at-live-dot-com. Is there another one I can send it to?

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh sorry its .ca . I fail....

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 00:53
Quote: "Oh sorry its .ca . I fail...."

Hehe, no problem, sent it.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Found a bug: When I try to load a fort, it crashes. Specifics sent to the email you emailed me with.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 15:37 Edited at: 13th Oct 2010 15:55
Gonna send you email on a bug i encountered twice.

But a question. How do i move objects on the y axis?

And another one, how do i add new objects, is there an object list i have to edit because it wont read my models if i add them to the Models dir.

And what is the first parameter in the Import Info.txt files?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 20:20
Quote: "Gonna send you email on a bug i encountered twice.

But a question. How do i move objects on the y axis?

And another one, how do i add new objects, is there an object list i have to edit because it wont read my models if i add them to the Models dir.

And what is the first parameter in the Import Info.txt files?"

Sorry, forgot to add that to the manual, hold ctrl while moving an object to move it up and down.

To add an object to the list you need to:
1) Make a folder with the object name under "Data\Shared\Models\Port Royale" and under the appropriate section
2) Put the model in the folder with the same name (must be in .dbo format, which is why there is a DBO Model Converter included)
3) Add an objtype definition to "Data\Shared\Scripts\objtypes.txt", which can also be opened by clicking "script" under tools>objtypes in the editor. The objtype can be any unused object number, name must equal the model and folder name, category must be the folder structure it's under after "Data\Shared\Models\Port Royale", and mod should be Port Royale. Scale needs to be defined or the object won't be visible.
4) If you have the editor open, hit the reload button under tools>objtypes and it should show up in the list.

Import Info.txt is from the old system, so you don't need that, I need to go through and delete them, the first parameter was the objtype # though.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 20:48
Thanks, will report back soon.

Braude Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2010 16:10
Amazing to see this alive and kicking! TGC lives!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2010 16:25
Quote: "TGC lives!"

Just about... - the rest of the WIP board is dead compared to its state about 2 years ago.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 15:25:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 15:25:02