Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2010 16:30
I always join forums when their activity starts to die down... I think I see a pattern...

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
You're late, the forums "died" a few years ago.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2010 14:58
Great to see this is still active, you know I'm the biggest fan (I really need to organize getting T-Shirts...).

Will catch up soon on IM Gil been heaps busy with study and work!

Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers!

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2010 18:35
I finally got some time to test out the editor, gonna play around a little and send you a mail, but seriously add a coral reef texture

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2010 23:59
Ahoy, me made myself a little island me did. A pence for an old man o'de sea?

Me house that be!

Rest of the island with nice vegetation.

Overview:

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2010 00:26
very nice!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2010 03:40
Nice job! Definitely better than anything I've done . I'm honestly surprised you managed to make that much without it crashing, haha .

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2010 14:47
Quote: "Just about... - the rest of the WIP board is dead compared to its state about 2 years ago."

...why does everyone give me a hard time whenever I start a new WIP thread then (naming no names [cough]C0wbox[cough])?

Back on topic, glad to see this is going so well. Keep it up!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2010 15:13
@ baxslash
xD I only give you a hard time because you'll turn into me if you keep doing that.

I prefer to see lots of people with one WIP each constituting to lots of interesting WIPs (and lots more chance of WIPs moving to PA because each user is concentrating on one project)

The WIP board is down to a handful of good long-lasting WIPs and a load of plugins/tools no one needs.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2010 17:01
Quote: "The WIP board is down to a handful of good long-lasting WIPs"

Isn't that how it is supposed to be?

Quote: "and a load of plugins/tools no one needs."

Name one

I think they can all be usefull, and keep in mind someone put a lot of work into it.

TheComet

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2010 17:56
Quote: "Isn't that how it is supposed to be?"

I just meant, I wanted more long lasting WIPs, not like ... 9 xD

Quote: "Name one "

I'm not going to go naming any names but in my experience, every plugin or tool that's had a WIP either doesn't get finished or is absolutely no use to me at all because I feel a good programmer should be able to program the majority of that stuff on his own anyway.

Tools that would be useful in my opinion are things like BlitzTerrain and XenoPhysics. (They are included in my count of 9 proper WIPs)

Don't worry though man, Mega Mash Mothers is one of the 9 too.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2010 17:32
Yo people you're straying a bit! This isn't a thread about the demise of the WIP board, but about a great game PoPR. Please keep on topic for the Gil's sake.

Thank you!

That island above looks great! Reminds me of the first FarCry...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 01:13
I may show back up in a few months. I've got a lot of more important things right now however.

Dream will return though, mark my words. And probably Old School too, for those of you who have been around long enough to know what I'm talking about.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 15:41
Quote: "I'm honestly surprised you managed to make that much without it crashing, haha "

lol, know that feeling all too well -_-

The Taffer (+TaffED)
A thief inspired game along with the mission editor (DBPro). [on hiatus]
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 17:06
Well if it had crashed it would only have been a good thing cause then i could have reported it to you so you could fix it

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 18:03
I've looked at this thread for a very long time, and I have tried to work out all this time, whether its a rpg or a sandbox game, but looking at it, the sandbox side looks very great, I could imagine a system where people can create there own quests and story and environment and share it with their friends over a server of some sort and every now and again new expansion are added. with a core rpg game made by you attached with the system, the possiblities look endless.

Good job, Gil, I hope you'll be able to finish it.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 23:32
Quote: "Quote: "I'm honestly surprised you managed to make that much without it crashing, haha "
lol, know that feeling all too well -_-"

Haha, I think all of us programmers do . How've you been by the way? Haven't heard from you in a long time. If you want, I can send you the PoPR WE pre-alpha as well.

If anyone else wants to try out the PoPR WE Pre-Alpha, just let me know and I'll send you a link, I haven't got a lot of feedback from most of the people I sent it to, so opening it to a few more should be fine.

Quote: "I've looked at this thread for a very long time, and I have tried to work out all this time, whether its a rpg or a sandbox game, but looking at it, the sandbox side looks very great, I could imagine a system where people can create there own quests and story and environment and share it with their friends over a server of some sort and every now and again new expansion are added. with a core rpg game made by you attached with the system, the possiblities look endless.

Good job, Gil, I hope you'll be able to finish it. "

It's actually a kind of mix of sandbox and RPG, similar to Oblivion or Morrowind, where you can do whatever you want, but there are quests and things to do if you want. Something like that would be awesome to do eventually, hopefully I'll be at that point some day .

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I made the British invasion of Acadia in the 1700s. Of course nothing is up to scale. Great editor. But this thing that really bugs me is that I can't lower the item on the Z scale without using the properties editor.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 02:27
You use CTRL.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Isn't that for the terrain?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 02:46
Quote: "Isn't that for the terrain?"

It's for both . Also, if you press e while moving an object, it will drop it to the terrain level. And nice map .

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 02:51 Edited at: 27th Oct 2010 02:53
Well I just wasted lots of time then...... I took me ages to move them down manually. Any way to make the NPCs hold objects?

EDIT: I crashed the thing again.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 02:53
By the way is your FPS 9 on that img?

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. Its my laptop. Integrated graphics card . But it somehow runs REALLY smooth.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 03:35
Quote: "Well I just wasted lots of time then...... I took me ages to move them down manually. Any way to make the NPCs hold objects?

EDIT: I crashed the thing again.
"

Yeah, sorry about that, just realized I forgot to include those in the manual, added them now. If you can, send me the debug.txt file from when it crashed along with what error it gave you and I'll try and fix it.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Just did.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 20:22
Updates?

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Fix the crash?

Braude Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 13:48
Any news?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 05:33
Sorry, had a couple months busy with schoolwork and spending some time learning how to develop Android apps. Not much new since the last update, although I'm starting to feel like working on this again, so hopefully soon.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 14:21
Just to bump this up and prevent the auto-lock (Yeah not quite locked...)....

Any updates?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 07:08
Quote: "Any updates?"

Sort of. I've spent the last couple months working on a new project in DBP, a generic, modular game engine and editor built mostly from the ground up with a bit of recycled code. I decided since it's so difficult for me to concentrate on finishing or working on one game at a time, it'd be a good idea to build a generic engine and editor so I could develop games much easier and faster, including PoPR. Development on it is going pretty fast at the moment, and, depending on how it progresses, I might post a WIP sometime in the near future (a month or so) with more information.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 14:35
Awesome! Will have to catch up sometime via MSN (Although I'm using Skype more for IM these days...)

Talk to you soon!

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 03:01
Hey, any chance for me to try out the Pre-Alpha? It looks amazing...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 05:59 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 06:01
Quote: "Hey, any chance for me to try out the Pre-Alpha? It looks amazing... "

Sure . What email would you like me to send it to?

Also, on a side-note, I've posted a WIP for the Tabulara Engine that I'm working on to transfer the World Editor and Engine to (I'm reusing a lot of code from them anyways):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=181632&b=8

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 14:08
the email below would be awesome.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 01:46
Okay, time for an update.

So I've actually been working on the world editor almost every day for several weeks now, but I've been porting it from it's original state to using the Tabulara Engine, improving it as I go (both behind the scenes and adding some nice features, like previewing objects before you import them). Anyways, today I added something I should have added a long time ago - stamps. It was surprisingly easy, only taking about 4 hours of work. Stamps allow you to randomly "paint" objects onto the terrain within a given area. At the moment you can stamp trees, plants, and flowers. This allows you to create what would have taken a hours of individually importing trees and positioning them in a matter of a seconds. Here's a few screenshots to show what I managed to accomplish with the stamps in literally about 3 minutes (including the time it took to make the terrain and paint it).

I'll probably be posting a new video sometime soon, so keep watching for that.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 17:50
WOAH.

I approve This is an excellent feature and it'll make everything much easier.

And well done for staying so dedicated to the project! Working pretty much every day requires real diligence.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 19:09 Edited at: 1st Mar 2011 19:10
WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH

and thousands times WHOAH ! I want it! I want it!

Please, keep up on your work guys

Limit's of this sig are really low o_o 200 characters and i can have only 2 carriage-returns ..:..:..
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 20:39
Nice update, looks a lot more realistic with more and scattered shrubbery!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 06:19
Quote: "WOAH.

I approve This is an excellent feature and it'll make everything much easier.

And well done for staying so dedicated to the project! Working pretty much every day requires real diligence."

Thanks . It definitely makes populating the world with foliage a lot easier!

Quote: "WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH

and thousands times WHOAH ! I want it! I want it!

Please, keep up on your work guys "

Haha, thanks, I plan on keeping it up .

Quote: "Nice update, looks a lot more realistic with more and scattered shrubbery!"

Thanks! I agree, it adds a lot more volume to the world.

I've been working on random things the last couple days, from AI pathfinding to improved terrain editing. I plan on doing quite a bit of work on it over the weekend, and will probably post a video at the end of next week.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 07:39 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 07:41
Time for a small update.

The last few days have been spent doing random things - beginning AI/NPC's, fixing some bugs, beginning some performance boosting things like hiding objects and terrain past a certain distance (it will be adjustable so you can set it to match your computers speed), and quests.

The hardcoded quest part of the game is basically already done and it only took me less than 2 hours to do. That's because quests will be completely scripted using LUA, as are many other parts of the engine. Here's a short explanation for those of you interested...

For quests, the engine calls a setup quests file that looks something like this:

Where each quest is defined using the basic parameters. The PoPR engine parses and interprets that file, translating it into a .lua file that looks like this:

You could just type it in the setupQuests file like that and it would just leave it as it is, but obviously the other way is more readable, so the option is there (same with things like entities, classes, npcs, etc.). So quest.create and quest.setState are hardcoded within the engine to call the corresponding functions, setting up the quests.

Then, the quest update function checks to see if a quest is active (all start active by default), if the time since the last call to its script file is more than it's timeDelay (this is so you're not calling a script file every loop when you really might only need it checked every second or so), and if it is, it calls it's script file. The quest script file might look like this:

As you can see, the script file for a quest handles the actual quest. In this simple example, if the quest is in it's initial state and the user presses 'R' (keystate 19), it sets the questState to start, which then causes npc 1 to move to the camera position, and then the quest is set to complete and inactive.

Anyways, not really sure if anyone cares to know about it, but anyone who has the game (when it finally comes out) will be able to use this to create their own quests and mods and such.

Speaking of finally coming out, my new goal for a releasable version of the world editor and engine for PoPR is September, with a beta by August. Of course, this could be just another deadline that I watch fly by, but I'm thinking and hoping I have a better understanding of where the engine/world editor are at and how much work is required to finish them. At the moment, my idea is to release a demo that has a few quests and part of the world, and then have the full game for something like $15 (about 10.7 Euros according to Google) that has many quests and a larger world.

So, does anyone have any input on that? Or anything else, for that matter?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 15:18
Ah, good to hear things are progressing! The engine sounds incredibly flexible which is really impressive.

Regarding the massive, lots-of-content release, how do you plan on making such a large world? It looks like the terrain editor can knock up an island in minutes, but putting stuff on the islands would take longer, I assume.

Have you considered asking people to collaborate with you to provide content? Obviously you'd only want people who'd do a good job, but you could fill the world with more content than you could on your own. Maybe you could even give each collaborator their own island which they could design and fill, giving each major island a sense of unity and local colour?

This is just a suggestion of course, and there are a number of reasons why you might not like it, but I thought throwing this out there couldn't hurt.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 07:16
Quote: "Regarding the massive, lots-of-content release, how do you plan on making such a large world? It looks like the terrain editor can knock up an island in minutes, but putting stuff on the islands would take longer, I assume.

Have you considered asking people to collaborate with you to provide content? Obviously you'd only want people who'd do a good job, but you could fill the world with more content than you could on your own. Maybe you could even give each collaborator their own island which they could design and fill, giving each major island a sense of unity and local colour?
"

Yeah, it would probably take a while to do by myself. I have considered the idea of people contributing, so that might be a good idea, it would mean I'd need to release the editor quite a bit earlier though. I'll see how everything goes, but I might do that, and have some kind of contest where the top x number of islands are used in the game and the person gets a free copy of the game, thanks for the suggestion!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 14:48 Edited at: 7th Mar 2011 14:49
That might be a good plan: if you have people compete for a place then you'll get higher quality stuff overall. Of course, that kind of depends on how many people do compete - if there's only two people then you might end up taking both on - but still worth considering.

Also, you wouldn't have to just dump their work into your own without checking it: the game is yours, after all, so if there were anything you were unhappy with you'd be able to talk it over with the contributor and edit it until you were satisfied with it.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 15:58
I think that sounds like a great idea Darth Kiwi (From one lord of the sith to another ).

Updates look awesome Gil and I like the sound of the quest system... Keep it up!

BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 22:29
Darth Kiwi's idea is a good one.

Put up the world editor as a free download, and set up a competition in the Geek culture.

The winner of said contest gets a free copy of the game.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
D:
Darth Kiwi and Darth Vader?! A lightsaber duel is inevitable! may the force be with you.

Anyways... This is amazing! Really really really really cool. You made all the GUI stuff yourself also, right? And I forget... is this programmed in DBPro or DGDK?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 11:36
Quote: "Darth Kiwi and Darth Vader?! A lightsaber duel is inevitable! may the force be with you."

Sometimes I wish I'd picked a more serious name.

Anyway, glad to hear people are excited about the idea of outside contributions: the more people who are excited, the more will think of contributing, I presume. And the greater the number of contributions, the higher the overall quality.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 14:16
If the worldbuilder contest is to be initiated, consider yourself having a contestant...

Lucy in the

Sky with

Diamonds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:25:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:25:09