Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 21:28
Sorry for the lack of updates but we are doing a lot of work on things that we don't want to discuss right now but we will release some more information later. Also we have a new logo thanks to Deathead.

RPG Engine Work in progress!
epithika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 21:40
Hey, do you need any music for this RPG engine?

Im a qualified musician and I write music for independant game developers and film makers. Click here to buy my tracks for £1! ($1.66) Or here to listen to the full versions.

I also write music especially for your games, just ask!

Thanks!
Tell me what you think!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 22:09
Thank you.

Right now we are only accepting donations though.

Our budget is tight and aimed specifically towards improving the engine and editor.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 10:53 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 10:54
ok heres progress on the human now....

Firstly, this texture smells and will be changed just like a diaper.

also you may think this was just drawn in MSpaint but it wasn't because blender gives that effect when textured. The model will look 3D in the engine itself because of lighting, shading etc.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 15:50
The texture looks better then what i can do

Anyway,sorry i didnt comment earlyer...got hit by a car yesterday

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 16:02
Kieran, I'm not sure what you're aiming for there, but that model is likely not going to see daylight in an RPG game. It just doesn't seem to fit at all with the needs of an RPG. The face isn't right, there are not fingers to speak of, etc. How do you plan to animate it?

If your strength is not character modeling, then your time will best be spent on creating things that will enhance the RPG engine, such as objects and buildings. There are enough stock characters lying around that will facilitate the development of your engine that it will simply be a hindrance to take time to make characters like that. It is a good learning experience, but not something that is suitable for a RPG.

Come see the WIP!
Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 16:45
@Cash:
RPG dosn't mean, "Big haired, mega sword swinging Japanese hero stereotypes fighting the monstrous creature bent on destroying the world" there are plenty of rpg's that don't fit that setting.

anyway, good progress on your modeling Kieran, though i'd keep working on your topology, and your overall modeling skills. Start a new model, and try again, but use a different approach. Just keep practicing till you get it right.

MOONDOG

current projects: Mystic Dream // red // battle room
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 17:05
@ Cash: He is still learning. If he wants to do things fast then you have the reason if not then is no hurry.

@ Kieran: Use Sufsurf techniques, that will improve your models.
Start with a box and then continue. Then you can remove doubles.
or internal faces.
To make the texture more appealing use shading and ilumination tchniques, that will give a diferent sensation to objects.
Also do more detailed textures.
For reference check the models of warhammer: dawn of war or
check the models of warcreft 3. Their models are very well textured and that gives a good impresion to models..
Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 20:17
>800 fps? If your getting that high, dont be proud!!! Crunch it down again with higher poly models and normal mapping - which works alongside uv maps and textures - due to the fact that the human eye cant detect the difference at anything above something like 60 fps. Thats probably wrong, but nethertheless, it sounds like youve got plenty of room for costly features and effects. Go give that human sumore polys!

"If I die, tell my wife 'hello'"
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 20:34 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 20:35
@Alfa x
thanks for the feedback but subsurf adds too many polygons, at level one it made a 540 poly model go to 8000 polys so i don't think that will happen

@Cash
as i said earlier if you read... this a test texture to practise UV mapping and it will be changed because it sucks. By changed i mean't changed to like a Medieval costume...Also I have already animated a walk cycle on this human and it works fine. so thats how i plan to animate it because I took indi's advice and made enough joints to animate it. Besides it's my first low poly model so you shouldn't judge my models by it, i will get better over time.

@Shadow Coderer
we don't want to take that risk as by the time we get a scene finished we may be back down to 200 FPS, also if we are making an ORPG and it gets huge...well you get way too many polys.

@all
also the head could do with a few more polys. I am going to work on another human.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
nice really can't wait and the texture does smell change it quick!!!

PLS JOIN I really do
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 22:43
just about how to shape a human (or many other stuff):
http://www.the-blueprints.com/index.php?blueprints/humans/humans/
hope this may help you. and take your time, rome was not built in a day.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 23:52 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 23:54
@kieran: I was saying that you should start with the intial cube, then:

1) Apply sufsurf, not to many poly's to begin with. Ok?.

2) Then extrude the cube so the model begins to gain shape.

3) Merge vertex or subdivide to obtain new forms.

4) Loop through 2) and 3).

5) Apply the sufsurf.

@ all: what is a blueprint?.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 00:28 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2007 00:29
in the beginning, there was a cube... don't know how many things i made out of cubes, but it works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueprints

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 02:49
I usually do all my modelling beginning with cubes too.

Anyways, I have to reply to the 800 fps thing now:

Firstly, it would be 800 fps on a decent card, something above average, or something like that.

Secondly, the 800 fps is a rough approximation, it could be lower, or higher, most likely a little bit lower.

Thirdly, you will most likely have to be a somewhat advanced programmer in order to get these rates. If you are a newcomer, just hope for normal frame rates.

Now, no offense intended to anyone, but this is a post for an engine, not a game, and not a model/modelling topics. I dont want to offend or drive away any one with that comment, just, please, keep it a little more on topic.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 06:52

it was made from a cube..... it was a subdivided cube that i shaped into a human, but think what you want....

btw Alfa what you said is exaclty what i did as well and thats what it did to my model's polys.

Thankyou all for the links and help but its about time i stop posting my models and we get back on topic of the engine.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 16:09 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2007 16:12
Ok. I was not saying you don´t. I was saying do that but with sufsurf.

Ok guys, when are we going to see those models in action?. Are you
going to enable different combat modes?. Is ther going to be access to the diferents animations a model can have via menu?
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 20:23
its np Alfa, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes you will be able to choose all that but right now we are doing a lot of inside work that is very vital to our game and this information will be kept secret for a while. things like raising framerates and lowering poly counts etc alot of really awesome stuff like that but I won't say any more.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 00:53
Well, everybody, as of last night, I was able to implement something very vital to programming games, that almost, nobody else, can offer.

This is direct access to the Direct3D 9 renderer, on a high, but low, level. This will let you program special effects, particles, or even, make objects seperate from dbpros objects, giving you full control.

Not only is this how most games are made, this will prepare you for any 3d programming language, better. Having this low level access is a little complex to those completely used to darkbasic, or 2d programming, so I recommend advanced users to this, where as, I recommend 2d users learn more db 3d, and db 3d users look into this.

Now, this wasnt one of the surprises mentioned earlier. This is just a plesent event.

With that out of the way, these 3d access commands are part of DAP.

Allow me to take this opportunity to mention this, this low access will allow antialiasing.

Now, aside from that, there is something, rather nice, for the scripting.... You can program your scripts in C++ which acts as plugins for the program, through pure C++ code. You can send to the program rather you want the npc or player, or whatever, to move forward, turn around and attack an enemy, play a video, even customise your own events, all of this through a few simple commands.... Best of all, your source will always be safe. This is also optional, as scripts can be run through the normal scripting language used. I must say though, something very nice about the scripting.... You can get certain direct access to both dbp, and DAP for complete customisation of the engine. Because the code is run as a program by the operating system, and is only telling what the host program (The game) to do, this will run much quicker than the normal scripting as well.

Well, all that a side, I suspect some sort of a demo will be available soon. Be it the editor, or an example rpg, etc.

Well... Have a nice day, mine will be spent in this dark, cold room, programming away at the engine, among other things. The weekend is arising, I bet the engine will expand quite a bit across the next few days.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 07:29 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2007 07:33
well im simply amazed....DB user 2006+ just made an app using this stuff mentioned above that gave me 3800+ FPS

heres a screenie

It was a spinning cube by the way with 2 windows rendered of the same thing which would have cut down the FPS
its simply amazing... i cant wait till we implement it into the engine

I usually only get 1200 FPS on a spinning cube so its damn awesome!

PS: my Video card is a "NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT"

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 09:31
Very intresting,very intresting...

I must say thats an amazing FPS!You guys are very smart at this.Anyway,im looking forward to see more on this but then,IN the engine.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 12:08 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2007 12:09
DB User 2006+ YOU NEVER STOP AMAZING ME!!! Well done!

Oh btw. Can i suggest for a demo dll someday because it would be cool to test it out before buying!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 22:15
@Prince of Darkness
Thank you.

Its being implemented into the engine.

@The Full Metal Coder Roxas
Thank you as well.

There will be a demo of course. Not just of a program, but of the DLL too.

Keep in mind that I have the highest security in mind. As you can still extract stuff from EXEs.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 00:44
Yeah,The_Winch made an app once that could rip everything outof the DBP generated exe...so you need to secure it as hell.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 00:48
Humm

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 01:07
Maybe you can generate an Executable with a dll.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 02:42
Yeah.

Nothing is truly secure.

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 05:05
not to be mean, but i'll believe all this talk when i actually see it(demo, lol)

anyone can slap a huge number on their FPS with a simple "print" command...the trick is showing that.

though, if i run a program with just a cube spinning with two shadows set at zero sync, i get a nice number like yours. not as high, but thats becuase the computer i use is 5 years old though it serves it's purpose, and i can play wow on the highest settings with it

anyway, lets see some hard megabit stuff here for us to play around with and see the power that you claim

MOONDOG

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 05:43 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 05:43
Demo has already been made.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=102615&b=1

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 08:22
its np that u think that moondog, its fine but I don't lie like this so unless DB sent me a fake exe then its a true reading...but you don't have to believe us untill you see it for yourself and thats fine too

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 09:13 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 23:52
In all honesty though, why would I lie about such a stupid thing?

I mean, theres lieing about your FPS (Dumb), and lieing about getting in a car crash with your dads only car (Still dumb, but makes more sense, at least to me).

Fraps seems to get differant frame rates though.

And on my crappy specs, I get 300-800 fps.

Cheers,

-db

[edit]
To save posting space, I have uploaded a terrain editor pic to this post.
[/edit]

Enter my forums here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 09:36
You're saying that rendering two windows is faster than rendering one window? Forgive me for being a skeptic, but I've seen DBPs FPS reading screw up before.

In order to convince us, you should release a demo of this plugin that works for 2 minutes then shuts down. It would be secure because it would be a binary DLL and nobody could change something hard coded like that.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 09:59 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 20:48
I'll get started on that.

Most of the features will be disabled for security reasons though.

Will edit when complete.

Cheers,

-db

[edit]
Enjoy.
[/edit]

[edit2]
Most commands have been disabled.

Stick mainly to the d3d based commands.

Here is the INI

Despite what it says, you do not need to call "initAdditions" at the start of your program, any more. It is optional now.
[/edit2]

[edit3]
Some more work has been done on the editor.

Texture blending, etc, is ALMOST ready.

Made some nice extra visual effects.

It now renders to a seperate window as well..... Virtually no frame rate loss.

It has been speed up as well.
[/edit3]

Cheers,

-db

Enter my forums here.

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 22:52 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 22:54
Well,DB user allowed me to post up a screenshot,so i took my chance.

As you might ask though,how did i get it?well,simple.i am one of theyr beta testers.Anyway,i attached a screenshot to show its not just them who can work with it.its easy to use.

Before asking me some questions i will say this:
1)I do not have any more then the editor
2)According to my agreement and what is told to me i may not tell anything more then DB user and Kieran allow me to
3)Dont you dare to email me for a copy,you wont get it.

NOTE:This map is taken from the render window to not show the editor as it is now,i think its up to the creators to show the editor if they want to or of they already did(<Dont remember)

Attachments

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 04:28
also here is a video showing the editor so far, you will notice the GameCam console while watching this, it is due to GameCam not being compatible with the UI so it does that instead which is why you can't see when I click on things in the UI.
Video 6 - The Editor

and here is another screenshot
Inferno Engine - Editor Picture 5

these can also be found on the first post

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 06:59
The video is amazing. Nice work.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 07:27
thanks inspire there is more to come in that editor so i will definately make some more videos later when it can do alot more

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 08:01
hey a new screenie of the editor showing a bit of capability

- over 596,000 polys on screen
- no idea of the object count but im guessing over 200 objects
- over 60 FPS still!

NOTE: this is without the functions mentioned earlier that gave us 3800 FPS so it will still probably rise dramatically

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 08:51 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 08:53
I have here, an official screenshot of the render view for the editor.

Get rid of that annoying UI, and take a look at your scene in real time. Want to edit and view without the UI? Maximize the render window, set the edit window to a normal, or small size, and put the edit window infront.

Cheers,

-db

[edit]
Click here to view: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1150996

This also shows off the skybox.

[/edit]

Enter my forums here.

Attachments

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 02:15
We have been working on some vegetation lately and here is a little bit of it, although it wasn't rendered properly so we will fix that later.

PS: to DB user 2006+

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 03:48
I was browsing TGC on my PSP.

"We arent terrible people.... Horses are terrible people." - Peter Griffin
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 06:49
That is looking AMAZING!

-Mansoor
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 09:23
Ah,the new graphics are stunning!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 11:42
Looks good but objects have too hatdish edges.. U need AA pehaps?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 11:52 Edited at: 31st Mar 2007 11:59
@Xenocythe
Thanks.

@Prince of Darkness
Thank you.

Usually you are on MSN right now (1:51 AM my time), but then again, you could still be asleep. Anyways, i'll send the beta to you when you do get online.

@The Full Metal Coder Roxas
Antialiasing is still being implemented into DAP, once its implemented into DAP it will have to be implemented into the editor as an optional (That shouldnt take too long).

But remember, AA is a very costly operation. So with AA, dont judge the FPS too much.

btw, a little off topic, but, does "Roxas" come from the Kingdom Hearts 2 game? (My favorite game. ) If that is somehow offensive, then sorry.

Cheers,

-db

[edit]
btw, Kieran now has vista, as you can tell, so we are now testing on both Windows XP (My comp), and Windows Vista. This should help us with compatability. I can now finally use the attatched image with this.
[/edit]

Attachments

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 12:44
Yes it comes from KH II And my name is close to it

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 13:06
Oh cool.

Cheers,

-db

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 15:05
Actualy im not on MSN as i got work,AND my MSN messenger is screwed,so im limited to the webmessenger.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 16:29
I love Kindom Hearts II!

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 19:37
looking to be a powerful editor. only comment i have is, get rid of the 100% illumination, and lets see some light and shadow, lol

MOONDOG

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 05:33:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 05:33:56