Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 20:57
@Prince of darkness
oh. Looks like I'll just have to stick to emailing you then, eh? (Which I now usually dont check my email... Probably should, havent checked in like 4 days, lol.)

@Inspire
Me too. KH2 Rules!

@Moondog
Thank you for the advice. This will be done, of course. Also, I plan on being able to control other environmental aspects as well, such as the fog, underwater effects, bloom to the skybox, etc. For the RPG Engine, it will produce .rpgmap (Name still in progress) files which the RPG Engine can load in directly.

Cheers,

-db

"We arent terrible people.... Horses are terrible people." - Peter Griffin
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 23:52
I check my email once in the 2 days,or 4 times a day,depends on if im awaiting something important

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 03:24
@Xeno
thankyou

@Prince of Darkness
thankyou too

@Full metal coder roxas
we will probably do that but thats a little further down the list

@Moondog
will be coming soon be patient

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 10:28
there is now a section in the first post at the top labelled "Latest" which has a list of more recent features in case you have missed any posts, it will tell you to go to a certain page for more details etc. Also the features list is added to and some things are ticked off etc so maybe its a good idea to check up on that every now and then

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 11:26
Well, I feel I should say this here. Now, this isnt the surprise I mentioned a while ago. The Inferno Engine will support 2d. A map editor, and sample game are in the progress. The sample game is a Final Fantasy recreation, and naturally, all the code is portable to the Inferno Engine. Now, I am recreating the first Final Fantasy, might I add, its not the first time i've done that either. The map editor was built so early because I needed a way to edit maps to test out on. I also got the idea that maps would be portable for games because of an episode of South Park. If any one can remember the World of Warcraft episode they made, heh.

Well, I have can make many shots of the editor, but since all the tiles pretty much suck, it will get judged graphically, and not showing it would be a bad move, so, attatched is an image of the map editor (which is nearly complete), but I suggest you only view it, if you wont judge negatively by the graphics.

With best regards,

-db

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 00:54
Quote: "If any one can remember the World of Warcraft episode they made, heh."

I remember.

Man, this is looking gorgeous.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 08:46
Quote: "Man, this is looking gorgeous.
"

thanks inspire awesome to hear

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
I think theres a problem with the transparency your putting on the trees. I had that problem with all the trees I exported using TMagik G2, if you check the transparency command your using there's a few other options that make it look a bit less jagged. Also make sure your loading your skybox before the trees.

Computer says n00bed
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 11:55
thanks for the advice vampiric although we tried that and it failed

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 00:38 Edited at: 7th Apr 2007 00:38
Well all.... Enjoy another pic of the map editor.

I added scrollbars, and the old Final Fantasy tiles. I dont know what else has been added since then, other than about a million changes to the load/save format. O.o

Cheers,

-db

Attachments

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 02:12
looking good
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 02:33
Looks very cool!

But I suggest you use PNG.

Also, in images like t_b4, you should use transparency on the grass portion. That way, even if you have something like sand, you can still have the brick wall

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 04:59
@Alfa X
Thank you.

@Xenocythe
Thanks, I use PNG occaisonally, reason being is that sometimes JPEG is smaller, and I have grown accustom to it. The PNG format is very strange, and rather hard to predict its size. Therefor, I used JPEG. And, the images can be transparent. I just turned transparency off on those images because they are the original FF1 tiles (which, if I can mention, I ripped myself. ), and I didnt want to break away from that originality.... Even though I had to resize them to 32x32 images.

Cheers,

-db

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 02:31
this looks great.

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 03:14
loos good

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 20:29
Some of your previous screenies for the inferno engine looked pretty cool, are you currently shelving that in favor of the current 2d work?

Terrain Generation has a whole new face.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 09:27
@darmic and shadow heart
thanks.

@Alquerian
If by shelving, you mean discontinuouing for a certain period of time, then no. In fact, Kieran and I are working on both quite a bit. If you take notice to the DAP thread you will see some odd additions in there, those additions are to benefit the Inferno Engine (partly). Take for example, the "DAC" addition. That was added to help boost FPS for objects such as NPCs and random items, twigs, trees, etc. Well, thats a rather long answer to a simple question, so I'll wrap this up here before I end up ranting on about elephants in space, lol.

Cheers,

-db

Albert Einstein believed that imagination is more important than knowledge.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey mateys this looks da bomb for 2-d RPGs!

Check in today!-PLS
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 03:39
Thank you.
I happen to be working on a little bit of code to control the renderings MUCH quicker, even more quicker than you can get from DBP alone.

Cheers,

-db

There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.
Blaine damage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 21:51
kool
im doin somthin like this but you just upload the terrain and put the objects. im also usin poser as the animation but i dont know how it will look im usin that T.e.D for terrain and inventor for objects

you need some animations and its kinda 2d but it looks awsome so far
keep tryin

Save an Ocelot!
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 08:30
doesnt anyone read? its a 3D engine the 2D is just an extra..... watch the videos or something if you want proof

also the animations are coming...be patient

besides that thanks for the nice feedback and its good to hear it

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 08:44
so it's all one package? 2d and 3d game editor? Now, could you combine the two if it is..could make fore a trippy game, like you cast a spell that turns the world to 2d, could make for some cool puzzles. lol

anyway, editor looks pretty simple to use...do you plan on implementing any features like setting collision data, or layers? One thing I liked about RPGmaker 2K is you had three layers allowing for overlapping tiles, and when you laid a tile, you could set which of the four edges had collision.

I'd also like to see an actual demonstration made with either or editor, just to see everything in action

MOONDOG

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 09:40
@Moondog
That sounds like a good idea.

As for the editor, it supports 3 layers already, and, it can view all layers at once. It can also set collision data, well, soon it can. Its already got some stuff pre-layed out to do so. Also, there is a demonstration for the first editor (the 3d one), I believe.

Cheers,

-db

Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 15:53
off-topic:
can one of u über guys write a guide on how to make a 3d map maker?
That would be great!
If u ever do i would gladly host your prosject.

On-topic:
if u guys make a website for this prosject i can host it for free...
Why?
It looks cool and i got like 800mb on my webserver i dont use..

Need webspace for your game?
Contact me at cpu1400@msn or msn (peder.husom@broadpark.no)!
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 15:53
forgot to say
email : cpu1400@msn.com
msn : peder.husom@broadpark.no

Need webspace for your game?
Contact me at cpu1400@msn or msn (peder.husom@broadpark.no)!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 22:08 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 22:10
I just made a simple nature map in the 2D one,and i decided to share the screenshot with you guys.

Screenshot(Sorry,forgot to resize 56K people)

Attachments

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 03:21
@Hayer
I emailed you.

@Prince of Darkness
Cool. Looks like you need an update to the map editor though. I'll email it to you, after a few quick changes.

Cheers,

-db

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 07:49
Quote: "Looks like you need an update to the map editor though. I'll email it to you, after a few quick changes."

OK,ill wait for that then.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 09:17
Ok, sending the email now.

Cheers,

-db

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
The 3d part is

JOIN NOW!Or be square!
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 00:30
this looks awesome!

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 11:08
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, this is being discontinued from DBP. It is now being done in a C++ SDK, Nuclear Fusion. Time will be needed to rewrite the code.

Cheers,

-naota

Look for it in the link in my signature (The project)

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 14:14
Good luck. Sounds like a lot more work, I think that DBP is ideal for indie developers because most of the core work is already done for us.

Come see the WIP!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 18:53
I'm completely agree with cash.
Good Luck.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 04:34
@Cash Curtis II
I respect DBP very much, however, DBP just isn't low-level enough with high level support, it isn't in C++ (DarkGDK does that, however), and I can deal with whatever formats or things I need to with ease. Not to mention the speed boost, and level of support given from the efficient use of NF versus the efficient use of DBP. Despite it being made in NF, that won't stop from it outputting code in multiple languages/sdks. <DBP, and Nuclear Basic are planned as languages, Nuclear Fusion for C++, Dark GDK/My dbp-devc template for c++ are also planned>

There is quite obviously an advantage of using Nuclear Fusion versus DBP, also, Nuclear Basic is heavily optimised, this I know from experience.

Now, don't get me wrong, DBP is a very good, and "ground-breaking" language, but quite simply NF is better for my purposes, and many others.

@Alfa X
Thanks.

Cheers,

-naota

PS: Here is the link to the new WIP thread for the RPG Engine: Click here to see it.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 08:37
I looked at your new thread.

Quote: "For severel reasons, however (Such as the frequent need to update, the slowness, the fact that you have to buy for DX10, inability to use OOP, the many plugins that you would have to buy, spending over $300, and other reasons), we have moved to using Nuclear Fusion."

Those aren't valid reasons to switch. I haven't updated since 6.2, DX10 does not factor into DBP at all, and you don't have to buy any plugins that you don't want to. A great strength of DBP is that you can create your own plugins, as you know.

Not having OOP in DBP is a valid reason, but not a great reason in and of itself. The speed of DBP is a relative concern - it is still very fast. The main advantage that DBP has is that it greatly increases the chances that your game will be finished.

I see this all the time - people quit DBP because they think that they can do better in a different language. However, if someone can't finish a game in DBP then it is very very unlikely that they'll ever finish a game in a lower level language. The worst thing is that all the work you've done so far is now worthless.

I wish you the best, and I hope that your game gets finished.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 09:34
@Cash Curtis II
Quote: "Those aren't valid reasons to switch. I haven't updated since 6.2, DX10 does not factor into DBP at all, and you don't have to buy any plugins that you don't want to. A great strength of DBP is that you can create your own plugins, as you know."

I never said I was switching. I still use DBP for my own needs. All of the reasons above are valid reasons of switching THIS project to NF. The fact that I can choose my own renderer, be it OpenGL or DirectX, display my own messeges without having to hack the compress.dll, and don't actually need any plugins for NF to function is not only what made me switch the project, but the fact that it does stuff that existing plugins don't, has better support, and more control on lower levels than any SDK I have ever seen is just "extra credit"!. You obviously don't like it when people talk down to DBP, but I am not talking down to DBP. DBP is an awsome language, and always will be. But it's simply just not cut out.

Quote: "Not having OOP in DBP is a valid reason, but not a great reason in and of itself. The speed of DBP is a relative concern - it is still very fast. The main advantage that DBP has is that it greatly increases the chances that your game will be finished."

Have you ever programmed in OOP? Do you know how powerfull OOP actually is? Not saying you don't. Nor intended as an insult. Those are innocent questions. Surely you of all people should know that OOP is used most the time, if not all the time, in professional quality games! (Not just commercial, but GOOD games) In a very distorted quote from someone else: "Surely even SMB used OOP for all their enemies, goombas, koopas, and more!" I think you have already seen that thread though.

Quote: "I see this all the time - people quit DBP because they think that they can do better in a different language. However, if someone can't finish a game in DBP then it is very very unlikely that they'll ever finish a game in a lower level language. The worst thing is that all the work you've done so far is now worthless."

I feel rather insulted that you feel that way, though I'm sure it was definately not intended as an insult. I plan to be here a long time, I plan on going to the TGC conference, and I plan on using DBP/X10. However, for an indie developer, THIS solution is definately better than spending $80 on DBP PLUS the required plugins to do what you need at a correct speed. On the note of the plugins, why should you NEED plugins anyways? Why can't they just provide everything that you would need? DBPs collision obviously sucks, I'm pretty sure you bought PhysX, and you use Sparky's collision DLL, you said that. Not only that, but you built your own plugin. WHY would you need to build your own plugin for DBP if it has everything you want? To reduce code? Can't you just include the source in a different file? Or maybe you intend to sell it... There's one more plugin that noobs would go and buy, not knowing they could do it themselves, or maybe they cant? Where as Nuclear Fusion is only $60, and comes with everything you need.

Also in response to the "switch over and can't build a game ever" comment:
Well, have a look at it this way: Many people do research on what the buy. DBP was a good choice when it was out, a better choice arrives at a fraction of the price of DBP. This new product has everything you need for your "commercial quality" game. And you don't have to spend $60 on a PhysX plugin, because you can download the SDK for free from Ageia. Now, take a look at how many people actually switched from DBP to NF? How many of them made complete games? How many of them are respectible members of the community? I recall you saying "Yes, there are bugs in DBP, but they can be worked around.", why should you have to work around DBPs instabilities and bugs?!

Now, don't get me wrong, I do like DBP, and I plan on using DBP for a long time. But NF is what I will use to write commercial projects.

On an off topic note, intended soley for Cash Curtis II, and no one else:

Cheers,

-naota

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 10:25
It may take extra effort to reprogram it and everything, but we are willing to do that. Thankyou for trying to make sure we are making the right decision and I respect all your points about DBP and I agree that it is a great language.

Personally I feel than NF and c++ will be more powerful and may have higher framerates, but maybe thats just me.

Thankyou all for your support.
- Kieran

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 10:29
Oh, and btw... We were planning on rewritting the code in DBP originally.

And, umm... quote:
Quote: "I feel as if I have hit a ceiling which DBP will not allow me to move past, in other words I have come to find the language ... restrictive."

Quote: "One thing that I despise about TGC/DBP is that they rely too heavily on the userbase to fix their plethora of mistakes, mis-haps, and bugs."

Cheers,

-naota

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 21:07
Quote: "and don't actually need any plugins for NF to function"

I find this hard to believe. I visited the NG website and all of the information about the product is very vague. Does it include LUA support? What physics system does it include? What type of particle system does it have? Does it have a built in AI system?

I know one thing - Nuclear Glory Collision isn't very good. Sparky's blows it out of the water, no contest. Dark Physics+Sparky's is faster than NGC alone. If I used NF I'd still want a different collision system.

In addition to DBP I own Purebasic, and it looks like it does everything that NF does.

As for my own plugin, I'm very confident that NF doesn't do what my plugin does. It is a very powerful command set that completely controls all of my animation with timer based movement and blending and reliable animation feedback.

I'm sure that you're a very good programmer and game maker. I've just never seen a game made by you or Kieran so it is impossible for me to really judge. Your opinions are very valid, but I don't feel that they carry the same impact as someone that has completed games in DBP. You may feel that you've reached a ceiling with DBP, but I don't feel that you've really even begun with it.

I regret that our conversations have become so tense and strained. It really did begin in Kieran's RPG Engine thread when I said that his little red guy was not suited for an RPG. Just remember - I'll never lead you wrong. And, NF is no magic answer. It is a tool, and every tool has advantages and disadvantages. Changing horses mid stream is never wise.

Come see the WIP!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 22:18 Edited at: 13th Jun 2007 22:38
@ all: I have a theory. It doesn't matter the tool you are working in, what is really important is how much skill do you have in it.

@ DB: Hi, What do you think about the ogre engine?.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 04:38 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 04:39
@Cash Curtis II
Quote: "I find this hard to believe. I visited the NG website and all of the information about the product is very vague. Does it include LUA support? What physics system does it include? What type of particle system does it have? Does it have a built in AI system?"

I can understand that. The NF site used to be better, but they had to take out all the detail because apparently alot of people who had DBP, BlitzBasic, and some other stuff were pretty offended and couldn't handle the proven truth. But, I can understand that it is very undescriptive.

Quote: "I know one thing - Nuclear Glory Collision isn't very good. Sparky's blows it out of the water, no contest. Dark Physics+Sparky's is faster than NGC alone. If I used NF I'd still want a different collision system."

HA! You are judging an older version of NGC (v3). v4 is better anyhow. And besides that, from my understanding Sparky's doesn't even have ellipsoid collision. v4 is what comes with NF.

Quote: "In addition to DBP I own Purebasic, and it looks like it does everything that NF does."

I don't own PureBasic, so I can't make a statement about it, however, as I understand it, PureBasic is basically like having a wrapper for the WinAPI and DX SDK in basic syntax.

Quote: "As for my own plugin, I'm very confident that NF doesn't do what my plugin does. It is a very powerful command set that completely controls all of my animation with timer based movement and blending and reliable animation feedback."

timer based movement, you say? Well, NF already has that, a very powerfull controller of timer based movement called "tweening". It basically keeps you at your desired frame rate, but not like DBPs syncing.

Quote: "I'm sure that you're a very good programmer and game maker. I've just never seen a game made by you or Kieran so it is impossible for me to really judge. Your opinions are very valid, but I don't feel that they carry the same impact as someone that has completed games in DBP. You may feel that you've reached a ceiling with DBP, but I don't feel that you've really even begun with it."

Thank you. But, those quotes I provided weren't from me. Those were from someone else.

Quote: "I regret that our conversations have become so tense and strained. It really did begin in Kieran's RPG Engine thread when I said that his little red guy was not suited for an RPG. Just remember - I'll never lead you wrong. And, NF is no magic answer. It is a tool, and every tool has advantages and disadvantages. Changing horses mid stream is never wise."

I do regret that too. We can just put all this behind us? Raise the "white flag"? How's that sound? (btw, I bought Nuclear Fusion last december, so I'm not changing horses "mid-stream")

@Alfa X
Ogre is a very fine engine, and I have nothing but respect for it. Alquerian even is using Ogre and he seems to like it very much. But, Irrlicht is my favorite over Ogre, I must say it.

Cheers,

-naota

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 05:16 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 05:24
Quote: "HA! You are judging an older version of NGC (v3). v4 is better anyhow. And besides that, from my understanding Sparky's doesn't even have ellipsoid collision. v4 is what comes with NF."

*Sigh* DB, that would be quite silly of me, wouldn't it? Unfortunately for NG I am juding V4. It's not a bad system by any means. It is just far outclassed by Sparky's V2.

Sparky's spherecasting gives the same quality of collisions as NGCs ellipses, but much faster and much easier to use. In addition, it has box collisions, which NGC lacks altogether. The collision bodies can be rotated, which NGC cannot do. It is because of the box collisions that I'm able to use it with Dark Physics.

Using ellipses is a wonderful idea but it just doesn't pan out in practical use.

BTW, Purebasic uses Ogre. It is a very powerful, efficient system.

Quote: "but they had to take out all the detail because apparently alot of people who had DBP, BlitzBasic, and some other stuff were pretty offended and couldn't handle the proven truth."

That's absurd. Why would he intentionally dumb down the description of his product? Why would the features of a product offend anyone? Wouldn't it be smarter to list all of the features to that someone might buy it? What truth has been proven? I see a fledgling game development language and no real information about it. I'd never buy such a thing. Matthew even bashes DBP on his forum. That's so unprofessional. I didn't buy DBP because it bashed anything, I bought it because it had the features I needed at the price I could afford.

You're arguing with me by making illogical sweeping statements that are based in feeling, not fact. I have no emotional attachment to DBP, I'll use anything that is good. I really don't know what you're trying to get at.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 06:32
Quote: "*Sigh* DB, that would be quite silly of me, wouldn't it? Unfortunately for NG I am juding V4. It's not a bad system by any means. It is just far outclassed by Sparky's V2."

I am sorry. It just seems most people judge V3, please forgive me.

Quote: "Sparky's spherecasting gives the same quality of collisions as NGCs ellipses, but much faster and much easier to use. In addition, it has box collisions, which NGC lacks altogether. The collision bodies can be rotated, which NGC cannot do. It is because of the box collisions that I'm able to use it with Dark Physics."

I do not regularly use NGC, but if there is a feature that is missing, I know that Matthew would be more than happy to put it in. This next comment is by all means, not intended as an insult to TGC, anyone from TGC, or Lee Bamber. Matthew would be more than happy to put it in <purposely repeated>, but I cannot say the same thing for Lee Bamber and DBP. I can respect that you like Sparky's better. I will not argue with you over that, it is doing very well for your game. <Congrats on that btw, it is doing very well. >

Quote: "Using ellipses is a wonderful idea but it just doesn't pan out in practical use."

Using a highlevel language was a wonderfull idea back when assembly was the only one. But it was slower. Look where we are now. I'm sure you have an argument against that off the top of your head, but it is usefull, it has many uses. Think of, say, a tree. You can have an ellipsoid as the collision body, and it would curve perfectly.

Quote: "BTW, Purebasic uses Ogre. It is a very powerful, efficient system."

I have nothing but respect for Ogre.

Quote: "That's absurd. Why would he intentionally dumb down the description of his product? Why would the features of a product offend anyone? Wouldn't it be smarter to list all of the features to that someone might buy it?"

Because it compared to other products, such as DBP, BlitzBasic, etc. So, he made a quick webpage, so that he could get to work on a better one, without making others mad.

Quote: "What truth has been proven?"

Sorry, that was completely undescriptive of me. What I mean by that is "NF has been tested to be faster than all of those. Many people prefer NF over those languages as well."

Quote: "I see a fledgling game development language and no real information about it. I'd never buy such a thing."

Then don't. However, I ask that you would wait for the new page to come up before you judge it's information any further.

Quote: "Matthew even bashes DBP on his forum. That's so unprofessional."

I don't know where you have seen this, but Matthew, as a person, is entitled to say what he likes on his own forum. However, if he said that on behalf of his company, it would be unprofessional.

Quote: "I didn't buy DBP because it bashed anything, I bought it because it had the features I needed at the price I could afford."

You just described the reason why I bought Nuclear Fusion.

Quote: "You're arguing with me by making illogical sweeping statements that are based in feeling, not fact."

People can become edgy if you tell them that what they are doing is stupid. However, what I did was give you fact.

Quote: "I have no emotional attachment to DBP, I'll use anything that is good."

You haven't used Nuclear Fusion, how do you know it's not better? ASM is better in terms of performance, why don't you use that? C++ is better than DBP in terms of performance, memory, and functionality, why don't you use that? Now, I am not taking blows at DBP. DBP is better in syntax, and comes preloaded with all a bunch of good features. It is ideal to someone who has no programming experience, to people who have plenty. DBP is an amazing language which you can build plugins for to extend it, or use pre-existing plugins. In fact, I recommend that any new programmer get DBP over NF. That is subject to change however. Because NF requires you to have C++ knowledge, but Nuclear Basic will not.

Quote: "I really don't know what you're trying to get at."

I'm trying to defend my reasons for using NF versus DBP. That's what this all started with. An informative response to everyone watching the topic and wanting the engine rather than leaving the thread empty for severel months.

Also, Cash Curtis, PLEASE respond to my "white flag" comment. I don't want to look at any of your posts thinking "Well, better prepare to argue with Cash Curtis today.". PLEASE just respond. I respect you very much as a member, a programmer, and a person in general. Also, incase you are wondering why I am not saying "Cheers, -db" anymore, it's because across forums I have different names, and it gets confusing. So, that is why I am using "Cheers, -naota".

Cheers,

-naota

Aurora
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone ^^

I've only made a few posts on the TGC forums, but I think its time for me to put in my 2 cents. ^_^

I know alot been said and most likely more things will be said, but please, before you say things that you've heard from others check to make sure you are right. You can always ask Matthew about things that relate to Nuclear Glory because he is always willing to help. If you cant get ahold of Matthew then drop by the NG forums, everyone is so helpful over there and no one will "bash" you. ^_^

From some of the posts I have read most people believe that NG does not have certain features, this may be true or false (depending on the features). However, if you post a thread on the NG forums stating that you wish for a certain feature to be added Matthew will reply. ^_^ Its not hard to find out if things are true or not, you just have to ask.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I think this is kind of getting out of hand.

*huggles and snuggles*

Lotsa Love
Aurora
Aurora
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the delays in my posts, its because Im still considered a "newcomer". I posted at 10:00 - 10:30 p.m. June 13th ^^ so that you will all know.

Lotsa Love
Aurora
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 07:11 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 07:16
I was pointed here and am a little bit suprised about some of what's been said. Maybe I can help clear up confusion for anyone reading. Particularly before this heats up too much, lol!

Quote: "Sparky's spherecasting gives the same quality of collisions as NGCs ellipses, but much faster."

We did spend a lot of timing updating v4 to compete sharply with Sparky's system in speed. Are you using v4.01 or v4.02? As I recall we made a massive speed update for v4.02 that went on for some time. Lost in Thought conducted much of the testing himself and benched at a lot of different octree resolutions. The focus at the time was raycasting. That said, it also improved our ellipsoid collision significantly on the performance side of things equally well.

Here is a link to the results:
http://www.nuclearglory.com/php-bin/forums/view_topic.php?id=392&forum_id=2

LiT's post made at 'Sat Mar 18th, 2006 05:40 am' is what we settled on for the final benches.

Wow, we spend a lot of time up late, lol!

Quote: "In addition, it has box collisions, which NGC lacks altogether."

True.

Quote: "The collision bodies can be rotated, which NGC cannot do."

Also true.

Quote: "Why would he intentionally dumb down the description of his product?"

Well, the reasons stated weren't accurate. The way our page was formatted at the time threw too much at people browsing the page and, from what we gathered, intimidated them out of the sale by there being too much to read in one place. When we decide to kick NF off (yes, we have intentionally not kicked it off, although it is available for sale) we will make a product page that is broken into sections to be friendly and informative at the same time.

Quote: "Matthew even bashes DBP on his forum. That's so unprofessional."

I ensure that everything I say on a public forum is based on fact and usually provide the factoid as additional proof of my point. IE: DBP cannot start without DirectX installed whereas NF can.

Oftentimes our forum dwellers will pop on with comments like "DBP sucks" without providing too much additional information and it will appear as though the whole lot is bashing.

I would like to say two things in response to this:

- I respect people's opinions be they in line with my own or not. Additionally, we let almost any opinion go said on our forums whether it be against or for us. In the case of vs. threads for something that outdoes our engine in someplace we will acknowledge the deficiency without locking the thread. Most of the time we commit to adjusting in the future so that it is no longer a deficiency.

- If you can find anything I have ever said about DBP that is not based on factoids or appears to be a blatantly bashing opinion please let me know about it. Not only will I correct the mistake but I will publicly apologize for it. I believe that in a world of free enterprise and competition like we're in, that we have not only the right, but the duty, to point out the flaws in our competitor's products. This hopefully not only betters our software but informs the buyer so they can make an educated decision.

If anyone takes offense to me pointing out flaws in the DBP engine then I am sorry you feel that way. I know that I personally do not take offense to those who point out flaws in NF. I will admit that it bothers me a little when people make uninformed comments about something that has had so much time put into it, but I wouldn't say I take offense in a grudge-like manner, lol!

So please inform yourselves directly before making decisions based on comments. We provide a fully-functional trial version of NF on our Nuclear Fusion board on our forums (it's a sticky). I won't post the link since this is TGC's rightful domain. So, head over and take a peek on the forums if you want the info straight from the source.

[href][/href]
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 07:25 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 07:34
Well, at least you've remained civil. Most people would have broken down by now.

Quote: "Think of, say, a tree. You can have an ellipsoid as the collision body, and it would curve perfectly."

Believe me, I'm not saying that using NF is stupid by any means. However, its collision system is unsuitable for an RPG.

When I did what you said above in quotes it made my game unplayable. It reduced my framerate from about 60 to around 4. I used ellipses for all of my trees and bushes in the game, and it absolutely killed it. NGC is great for a small game, but the resource drain for a bigger game is linear - the more objects you set up for collision the slower it runs. I had octrees running as well, it didn't make too much of a difference. I was using NGC 4.02.

The inability to have box collisions was another severely limiting factor in NGC. My combat system with NGC sucked because I couldn't accurately test for collisions between weapons except with lots of raycasting, and that was a horrible way of doing it.

DBPs collision system is far worse than NGC. But, it's a far more developed product and thus has plugins to do all that we need to do. In its current form, NF's collision system will severely limit your RPG. The same thing will happen to you as happened to me.

The thing that really turned me off to NG was that Matthew disappeared for a couple of months when he released V4 of NGC. It was for personal reasons, and nothing against the guy, stuff happens. The problem is that his company totally depends on his presence. If he should have to leave again, then there is essentially no company. Whatever TGC's shortcomings, they are a stable and professional company.

Quote: "I don't know where you have seen this, but Matthew, as a person, is entitled to say what he likes on his own forum. However, if he said that on behalf of his company, it would be unprofessional."

Sure, he can say whatever he wants on his forum, but it looks bad. He should clearly outline his product's capabilities, not take jabs at the competitors.

Quote: "Congrats on that btw, it is doing very well."

Thanks As for the 'white flag', I agree. I just had a couple of points to make first. No reason for us to argue. I just hope that you understand my concerns, and that they are rooted in my experience. In order for NF to become a mature product, plugins will have to be written. If Matthew plans to write every plugin for free then he would be a terrible business man, because he would be working for free. Not only that, but the quality of the plugins would suffer.

[EDIT]
@Matthew -
I appreciate your comments. I won't reply to every single thing, because for many things a reply isn't necessary.

I used NGC 4.02 for Geisha House. It was unsuitable for the project. The raycasting speed was good, it is comparable to Sparky's. However, aside from that, it was not ideal for an RPG. Ellipses are severely limited and computationally expensive. Like I've mentioned before, Dark Physics+Sparky's DLL was faster than NGC alone, and despite the fact that I wasn't using ellipses anymore the quality of the collisions was the same. My comments and experiences should be of particular interest to DB and Kieran because they are attempting to make a game / game creation system very similar to mine.

I'm only interested in the facts. What I've presented to you is fact. I don't care if you point out the flaws in DBP. However, your time would be better spent not doing that, but instead pointing out the strengths of your own product. I could certainly use it one day, but it isn't ready yet.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 07:42
@Cash
Good to know the white flag is up. Also, I apologise for wasting your time which could have been spent on Geisha House, and mine which could have been spent working on the Inferno Engine. If you ever need anything, or help with anything (as unlikely as you needing help would be ), feel free to drop me an email, or contact me via MSN/Yahoo.

Cheers,

-naota

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 07:52 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 08:04
@cash:

I don't want a fight either, but I must state as i have stated before that this wasn't about the model i made, it had nothing to do with it but lets leave it at that, thats a path im sure we both dont want to walk down again.

I also will still be using DBP but unfortunately, as i have little money I cannot "raise the roof" with plugins as i can't afford them.

Lastly, Cash, I raise the "white flag" to you and ask we can all get along together and yes we should put it behind us.

@all:

I will not comment on the comparison between NF, NGC, sparkys, physX and DBP as I don't want to spend developing time researching to join this argument, I hope you all understand

EDIT:

Quote: "Good to know the white flag is up. Also, I apologise for wasting your time which could have been spent on Geisha House, and mine which could have been spent working on the Inferno Engine. If you ever need anything, or help with anything (as unlikely as you needing help would be ), feel free to drop me an email, or contact me via MSN/Yahoo."

I agree with this, i am sorry also and yeah I doubt you would need my help but its here if you wanna talk my MSN and Email is in my info at the bottom of my posts.

Thankyou for everything
*Kieran

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:05:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:05:52