Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC game published and on store shelves...

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 03:50
Quote: "if you have a crap looking game,"

I think you're being unfair to the artist who made the stock media here... Just because you have seen lots of games which use this media doesn't mean it's crap...

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 04:10
i didnt mean it directly relating to the creator of this game, i ment it in general terms

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "For people who dont understand what this means, quite simply it means, if you have a crap looking game, nothing unique, it doesnt matter, as long as you know the right people to publish it."

It's down to marketing and ability to see an opportunity then take advantage of that.

As for it being a crap looking game, by whose standards? I bet you haven't played it either.

Regarding the media content used in their game(s). Is yours all custom media or what?

You know, you and others can choose to be jealous and negative about this or you can say good luck to them, see the positive side and use that as inspiration for making your own game a success.
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Well , this feels like stepping into a minefield with two blind hamsters leading the way.

Ooooookkkkkk .... I guess this is more or less what I expected.
Yes , Yes I knew we were going to get slammed for this the second I heard it was being put in the newsletter, I actually had a couple of sleepless nights regarding the fallout that would ensue.

Now look what we've done, we've amazed some, made others feel cheated and caused sickness in innocent bystanders, we didn't mean to, honestly.
I would like to thank the guys who actually had at least somehting positive to say, even if it was only to tell us that we sucked ONLY half as bad as that guy responsible for inventing income tax.

Yes we have a couple of titles out and published, yes the artwork is really not what it should have been , yes we're obviously lazy and dimwitted and not nearly as clever or insightful as half the users on this forum.
No we're not planning to take over the world, yes we will colonize Mars and no we actually did try to hire some artist directly from the forum for one or two of our upcoming projects.
We were however met with soooo much skeptiscism and utter debilitating response, overwhelmingly I might add , that we ended up having to use certain available assets.Which i might add I feel do not look nearly as bad as you make them out to be, remember this was done in the very early days of FPSC, back when most of you young whippersnappers were still working on Gamemaker.
Beggars can't be choosers I'm afraid.
We were actually under fairly heavy pressure to get titles out into market we had to use what was available to us at that moment,funnily enough we had actually done two titles before findng and approaching publishers, a racing title (Obviously not using FPSC) and Sturmgart, the publishers Liked Sturmgart better so we went with it and ended up where we are now.

This is one of the reasons That we've waited up till now to make things public via TGC, we have actually released a title, Impact Paintball, which is multiplayer and does support more than one map.
This is based on custom work that we have done, and I can already hear you screaming "Show us some proof!!!!" I will, I promise.
In all honesty I'm glad we were able to do what we have done, it got us to the point were we can actually start getting some forum artists involved and actually have them do some custom work etc.
(I guess so ends the days of shiny freebies for me)

So in closing, to everyone who voiced their support , thanks, to everyone else, I'm terribly sorry for not living up to your expectations.
And a special note to Butters,I'm sorry for making you sick , really I am , your games are waaaaay better than our first attempts,email me and I'll gladly have you ship the title back and refund you.
FLAME ON!!

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:11
Good for you ZAKU, glad you got it to work for you and make a few bucks too.
Don't let people get you down,, just do what you want to do .

MY FPSC FILES
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:24
I applaud them for getting their game published and on store shelves, yet I think it was a wrong move to use only stock media, yet, good job, and good luck.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios

Logo made at http://www.grsites.com/logo
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:51
All I have to say is.... congratulations ZAKU! You have succeeded in many ways that others haven't been able. And to be honest, I think the game looks good. Whether it is stock media or not. It looks good. People are only saying it looks cruddy do to the fact that they can't do what you've accomplished.

http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Zaku,one word,'impressed'
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 07:00
Games that sell for more then 10 buck's must be good looking i think...I bought morrowind for 7 Euro's and well,that looked WAAAAYY better.also NWN...

Anyway,good for you you are lazy.atleast you admit...

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 07:09
I love marrowind. I bought the soundtrack

Anyway do they have a demo?

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet. You got the quan. Must be all that rooibos tea.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 12:02 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 12:02
wow.

I haven't looked back at this thread since I posted....I had no idea it would start such a poopoo storm!

So, uh, I'm gonna be the bigger guy here (or nicer...whatever) and say that evidently my initial reaction was jealousy. As in, "why the EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT does that diserve to get on the shelves"

But hey, this is a commercial thing we're into here. The stock media provides the only set of randomised, normal mapped segments, which is closer to commercial quality than anything else out there.

I'm really surprised you found a publisher, but well done guys. You've dispelled all the false notions that you can't publish an FPSC game.

Congrats.

And I don't want a refund on the game... I bought it as research!

EDIT. ZAKU, drop me an email. I'd send one to you, but you don't have an address listed

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
That's some humble pie eating Butter Fingers, want a glass of water? LOL.
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 13:39
Quote: "we have actually released a title, Impact Paintball, which is multiplayer and does support more than one map."

sweet, I am in the progress of making a paintball model pack

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 13:51
Quote: "That's some humble pie eating Butter Fingers, want a glass of water? LOL."

I'm not eating humble pie bro.

Quote: "And a special note to Butters,I'm sorry for making you sick , really I am , your games are waaaaay better than our first attempts."

I think at the end of the day, everyone was pretty nice to each other.
I appologised, Zaku complemented me. No one is eating humble pie, infact, I'm sat here strokin my ego. LOL

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not eating humble pie bro."

Just pulling your leg dude.

Quote: "I'm sat here strokin my ego. LOL"

With rubber gloves I hope!
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 14:02
We'll see FOTF in HMV next week then, Butters?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 14:08
I doubt it.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 14:20
I was being sarcastic

Urm, but going off topic for a second, have you got any of my emails John?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 15:07
I'm impressed and proud of you guys. To toot my own horn for a moment, I've been taking a lot of crap from some for saying that it could be done. I don't think I could do it yet, but I'm really very proud and happy that you did. VERY well done.

I'm also looking forward to someone eating his liver... as promised. lol

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Cyber Lee
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, for me thats just good news...
That means that any game can be published, so all of us can make some cash...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 15:25 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 15:26
I wonder if he'll like it peppered or salted? Or maybe served with onions? I did a part time course in cookery, so he's not getting out of eating it
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 16:56 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 16:59
Quote: No we're not planning to take over the world, yes we will colonize Mars and no we actually did try to hire some artist directly from the forum for one or two of our upcoming projects.
We were however met with soooo much skeptiscism and utter debilitating response, overwhelmingly I might add , that we ended up having to use certain available assets.

I think this statement is important. I have not been a member of the forum long and recently in the last couple of months only found out about FPSC. I know from past posts that people have been scammed and I can understand skepticism. However, not everyone is a scam artist. But I do understand where everyone is coming form, because there was a recent post from a forum memeber who joined, made a post and never returned yet. LOL. So, I can see where you are coming from. However, with skepticism there also comes opportunities that are not scams that could help people. I think if some of the people that Nano Games contacted did help them with the artwork, then those people would have been just as excited about the success they have had. I can understand where they are coming from , because I went through a lot of skepticism posts in the thread I created about selling FPSC games and at first it made me want to leave it alone too. I think we need to create a proces or give people who are new to the communnity a chance to show who they are before people start coming to conclusions that people are just trying to run another scam. That way when someone does come up with an idea, we dont just say, oh heres another idea that will not work. Honestly, if anyone in here who made a negative post had been the one who made the cover for one of these games, or contributed to it, then they would of been happy that they were on a project that got so much attention and was successful. I am the type of person who tries to give people the benefit of the doubt and that does not mean jump in head first, it just means that I take a persons word until they prove otherwise. The point is there have been many people saying FPSC is so poor it could never compete, but now we all know it can, and thats without custom content. Now, if you are creating custom content with a great storyline, then you know your FPSC game can compete. It is no longer a bunch of hype, its fact. So the only reason as to why anyone in here cannot get a game published, is because they do not want to put forth the effort to do it. Thats just a plain fact. Especially if the person has exclusive content that cannot be found anywhere else. There are so many resources to build a good game, model packs, Signs IV etc. You now have a resource that you can turn to to get advice from to find out what you need to get your game published, just ask J from Nano Games, because they did it. I have a store that will be complete soon, and if anyone wants to make their own store, I will tell them how I built mine and what to do if they want to invest their money to build their own. I have no problem trying to help people be successful and I do not think the majority of anyone else in these forums does either. Lets help each other, because yes you can do things on your own, but you can be more successful by having help too. I mean, we are all trying to accomplish the same goal, selling games. Not only that, but I am working on plans for a game that has been in the works for a while and is not FPSC. I am definitely going to ask Benjamin A to make me a cover for my games. I have found a lot of great resources from this forum. I had Deathead make me two banneers which are great and he does them for free by choice. There is a lot of talent here and a lot of good people who want to become successful. I have been to FPS Free so many times and used the related links to find FPSC related stuff to buy, it has really helped me find resources to enhance my games. I have used these forums to buy textures, model packs, tools to enhance my games, etc. Everyone is going to end up having whatever views and opinions they want, but it would be easier to have people collaberate and work together so that we can do some amazing projects and use each others talents. There are three sayings that inspire me all the time. 1. Do what other people do not want to do now, so you can afford to do what they cannot do later on. 2. Mountains were made to be viewed by some and climbed by others. Are you gonna be a viewer or a climber? 3. No guts, no glory.

So with that, congratulations again to Nano Games not only for FPSC but everything else they are working towards in the gaming industry. I hope we can see some other great FPSC games on the shelves now that we know it is possible.

K.L. Phair
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 19:07
Quote: "I'm also looking forward to someone eating his liver... as promised. lol"

I forgot about that.

@Zaku; congratulations on your work going commercial. I was wondering what happened to you when I was holding your Level Design Competition together. As you see, it's still alive...by virtue of the members alone.

-Keith

Jams38
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats guys, Some people can be very negative.
Keep doing what your doing.

Jams38
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, thanks for the overwhelming response, it seems that my intial fears , while not completely unfounded were slightly overstated.
Luckily no one here knows where I live lol.

Seriously though , thanks to everyone who took the time to post and congratulate us regarding this, it was by no means necessary though.
We have done what everyone on these forums are capable of doing.
In time it had actually become sort of a challenge for us to see how far we could push FPSC , and I know that despite our first attempts being nowhere what they should heave been , we're really trying to push limits with our newer projects.

As some of you who have been around for some time will know by most of my contributions to this board , I have always been and will continue to be true to the concept that we are all peers , working with the same toolsets , waving the same banners, and striving to achieve the same goals.

In that light, as PAS has also stated above, Whenever I am needed, even if only to bounce a couple of ideas off, I'll be here.
And I know I'm opening myself to a lot of hatemail as well, but I'll help in whichever means is possible.

Anyone, and I do mean anyone can reach me on this mail addy:

Nanotechsa@yahoo.com.

I'm by no means pretending to be the solution to anyones problems, sometimes not even my own , but if you want to ask a question , need to throw some ideas around , talk about publishing etc , feel free to contact me.

We have in fact also started doing a bigger project , and will try to keep everyone updated if there is some interest.

@Keith - I could never have organized and run the level design competition system half as well as you have these last months.
you have taken a fledgling idea, aimed at banding a community together and grown it into a showcase for users of this engine.
For this I congratulate you.

@Johannes - Long time no see Buddy, I'll be seaking to you soon about some stuff we need lol!!

@PAS - as always PAS , great inset with some words that strike true no matter what the subject.
Look forward to doing some serious business with you.

@Trinity, great , if you have any problems, let me know , we had a lot of trial and error development on that.

@Xplosys - Right on, I knew you were right LOL!!

@Butters - I have all the copies I'd ever need , we normally get a production run sent to us by our publishers, but you can reach me anytime for an addy.

@ROlfy - Thanks as always, you'll be hearing from me soon.

@Jenkins - thaks for the support.

Oh before I forget, yes our current site is terrible, we are actually working with a large ISP at the moment and as soon as our joint project is pupublicly launched we'll have a new joint site for everyone to check out.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 20:38
Quote: "we'll have a new joint site for everyone to check out."

Please do keep us informed as we are all waiting to link to it.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 21:46 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 21:49
The more I think about It I guess almost any FPSC created game Is worth a publishing. But lets just say some shouldent cost as much as others . Some could be worth $10 some could even be worth $40 or so. Sorry If I said any crap.

Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 22:15
Hey Zaku, just wondering...
Do you have an american publisher and if so, what is their web site?

P.S. What engine did you use to make your racing game?

bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 22:44
@Zaku

Pretty cool man. Somebody finally did it. You took that initial leap of faith and proved everybody wrong. It was getting very discouraging after a while day in and day out everytime I come to the forum and read negative threads about FPSC.

Now I would'nt say everybody should put out stock media, but put out there best and go for it, including myself. We have Butters and a few others on stand by, so make those fun games and be successful/prosperous at it.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2007 02:11
Well, I'm not going to bother to catch up reading the rest of this page (already read the last) but all I can say is Sturmgart sure has a purtty box (Basicly, I'd pick it up and look at it - not nessasarily buy it, but that point where you find it and bother to pick it up is crucial - excuse my spelling, if wrong )

Les0985
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Done! and congratulations! you have done what everyone else only wishes could be done. I stoped using fpsc because everyone kept saying you can'nt make a game with it. too many bugs etc to make a game, Gee looks like "everyone" was wrong. looks like tgc was right after all,
I googled Sturmgart and looks like its all over all the game sites and amazon uk. Not bad! It just goes to show it can be done(even with the media that comes with it.) I hope this challages everyone
good luck to all who try to get a game published
Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Zaku

Yeah man. Slowly crawling back out into the land of the living. And what a sight to behold. Its inspiring. We'll catch up on email. Mine is still the same.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmm I wonder if HMV sells FPSC........

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2007 22:34
Well, as some of the guys here within the boards know, I managed to get a publisher contract too - but it was more because of the filmed cutscenes, the in-game art drawn by a Fantasy Artist and because of some connections I had before. And of course we bought all model packs, and we`re creating a lot of stuff on our own.

No matter how good or bad the games are, the guys have my respect for getting a publisher anyway!

It`s not a bug, it`s a feature
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, once again , although a game released , and while i'm not rying to defend the use of stock only media, I have to relate an example of how good this can actually be.

We have a title out C.R.T - we built a second title as a follow up , but optimized more for Network Deathmatch gameplay called C.R.T Tournament Edition.

This title was showcased at a national event in SA, played in a tournament over a period of 3 days and ended with the winners after 687 rounds of the game were played.

Afterwards, in a review done by a Online Store locally, we were actually quite surprised to learn that it was being comapred to much larger big budget games.

"C.R.T offers the speed of Quake, the tactics of Unreal Instagib and the weapons of Counterstrike and cannot be faulted on anything, including level design, speed and gamplay quality."

So this I would presume is why although the world at large groans about graphics quality, its the gamplay of any given title that makes it fail or succeed.

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 16:52
@ Zaku: Good point. I agree as frame rate and game set up can make or break a games playing enjoyment and user popularity.

K.L. Phair
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, right on and after we had made a lot of tweaks to what the newtwork games could and couldn't do , we found ourselves with only one problem, and that was that using the direct IP connection mode was bugridden when the machine was connected to both a local area network and a larger Wifi Network.

Anyway, boring details.

THe point is , we took soemthing that was branded as dead in the water and turned it into somehting that is blisteringly fast, we even got Jonathan "Fata1ity" Wendell, ,one of the best pro gamers in the world to play the game and he said he was impressed, after getting whooped by our resident ace I might add LOL.

On average the maps were fine tuned to give players the opportunity to play 10 kill rounds in around 2:30 minutes, pretty fast by any standards.

Hence what I've been saying all along, forget the media, forget the box art, its how it plays that counts first and foremost.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 18:36
ZAKU, did you make up the part about being in Africa, or do you actually live in Africa?
Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 21:09
wow congrats man you were either very skilled lucky or both to sell a game with only stock media. good job.
Slayer_2

EOT Check it out
http://eliteops.piczo.com
bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 21:21
@Zaku

With all these game releases, how did you get around the framerate issues of FPSC while making these titles?

Low framerates is one of the main issues holding most people back from selling/publishing there games, because they don't want to put out bad products. But somehow you must of mastered good level design to achieve good framerates. Am I saying it right?

BSGamemaker..
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 22:44
Butter fingers didn't make the game.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 22:50
who are you talking to Inspire? Seems out of the blue.

It's better to talk to someone using @<person name> to talk to him or use the relevant sentence in a
Quote: "quote"

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 23:23 Edited at: 7th Mar 2007 23:24
I'm talking to ZAKU

EOT Check it out
http://eliteops.piczo.com
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
@Higgins - Nope , I , along with the rest fo the team do live in Sunny South Africa?
Why ? If I may ask.

@Slayer - We were both, definately moreluck than anything else though.
LOL

@Bsgamemaker -

Well, the framerates are obviously a concern, although, I have to say that the previous experience we've built up , using other engines as well, has served us well enough.
Getting around the framerate problems was probably a 6 month process of trial and error.
Level design does have a lot to do with the end result and optimizing this should be first and foremost amongst your tagrets when actually building anything.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 12:19
@ZAKU

Because I thought you lived either in Brazil or some where in Europe. But now I know you do live in Africa
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 14:01
Quote: "@Wizard - Really, you from SA?
Interesting , you should definately drop me a mail then LOL
BTW, no use in Trying to explain that we don't , contrary to popular belief , struggle keeping lions out of our homes."

Would be nice I had your email where are you from??

Pointless Assault RC1 Demo
http://fileho.com/download/534fc0519603/pointless.rar.html
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
@Wizard - LOL , I posted it a couple of posts back,
Nanotechsa@yahoo.com - you can reach me there almost anytime.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 14:29
ZAKU in all honesty, i a congradulate you, only because i like you lol, in most cases i would be jealous about it, but i would like to see some more media from you guys "Nanogames" like, movies, demos, and stuff like that, because i want to play your published games, i want to see how you got around low framerates

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 15:03
@ZAKU

No, it might be because I have mixed you up with another member, whose name is some what like yours or at least that's how I remember it.

But any way, its cool you got your game published. I'm looking to do the same thing now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 19:18:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 19:18:14