Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Enhanced Animation - 1.6 released (9-Feb-09)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 18:26 Edited at: 8th Apr 2007 18:27
a question:

how would I send the animation data in a multiplayer game with
en an? right now, I can send the frame number, but would I need to send limb positions and rotations with en an???

thx
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 17:25 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 13:08
Master Xilo,

I was writing some sample code to show you how to do this and I discovered a bug
Anyway, in theory, the way that it should be done is to pass each limb's rotation and position values to the other object. There are commands supplied with EnAn for the rotation and offset values. You then just use ROTATE LIMB and OFFSET LIMB in DBpro on the other object.
The bug that I mentioned above is that the values returned by those commands do not include any transition info. This is an easy fix though and will be included in the next update!

edit2:
These items have been fixed/changed for 1.2:
-EnAn_ObjRenameLimb has been fixed (See post above)
-Changed oac return values to include transition information.
-Changed scale output to be scaled by 100. Now the same units as DBpro.
-When cloning oac objects, the new oac now copies the base oac's active limbs.
-Fixed problem with erratic behavior when transitions constantly applied to object.

I am still working on adding the following items:
-Returning GLOBAL limb positions and angles
-Rotating limbs to global angles

-Ron

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 06:10
Quote: "Rotating limbs to global angles"

That'll be awesome!!! Please make that possible! So rotating heads or pointing arms can be possible with fewer setups!

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 22:01
Quote: "That'll be awesome!!! Please make that possible! So rotating heads or pointing arms can be possible with fewer setups!"

I think I have it working correctly now. I still have some more tests to do though!

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 06:11 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 06:32
Btw, I noticed that the "EnAn_oacAnimTransition" makes a slowdown to the game... And it sometimes makes an unusual stuff in the model
Here's a shot: http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9004/enancu1.jpg
It was 400+ FPS when it's just looping... Then it became 100 when I hold Enter...
I'm using EnAn 1.1 and Patch 6.6

EDIT
I guess the slowdown is very minimal when I tried checking it again... The holding of Enter makes it drop down to 100...
But the deformation is still there though...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 12:11
Mike,
That problem is fixed with the next update, which should be released at the beginning of next month. You used to have to make sure that you could NOT keep applying continuous transitions. If you notice in example 3, the system provided would not let that happen. Although the problem is fixed in the next update, I would still reccomend using a system like shown in example 3.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 11:01
@ Wolf,

Excellent - global limb rotation commands v useful...

Presuming as above May for next update?

Anything more on 3DCM or (understandably) have all your efforts gone on this plugin...?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 18:09
Duffer,
The Global rotation stuff didn't make it into this month's update. I have already sent Mike the files that he needs to build the new installer. Basicly, this update is *mostly* bug fixing. It includes the following:

1. EnAn_ObjRenameLimb has been fixed (See post above)
2. Changed oac return values to include transition information. You can now make another model perfectly follow an EnAn animated model by using the ROTATE LIMB, OFFSET LIMB, and SCALE LIMB commands. This is a very good way to handle things in a multiplayer environment.
3. Changed scale output to be scaled by 100. Now the same units as DBpro.
4. When cloning oac objects, the new oac now copies the base oac's active limbs.
5. Fixed problem with erratic behavior when transitions constantly applied to object. If you look at example 1 and hold down one of the transition buttons, the model starts to go crazy. It doesn't happen in example 3 because of the mode variables that prevent the program from continuously sending transitions to the object. That bug has been killed.

Next month I will definately continue on the Global commands. I did put a lot of work into them this month, but didn't quite get it solved. I had a contract job that I had to finish which also ate into my free time a good bit.

Work on 3D Character Maker continues. I have done some things that are making me rework a good portion of it. The first thing I've added is direct support for Dark Voices. The models will now have complete facial animation capabilities. This has caused me to completely re-do the face and head of the models adding some extra polys and bones. I am now finished with all of the vertex weighting again, but I still have some work to do on the texture mapping. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon. It looks much better than it used to

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 18:49
@ Wolf,

Thx for getting back so quick. Look forward to next release of EnAn anyway... Taster of the 3DCM greatly anticipated...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Im having problems I want my objects to play walking animation only when a certain key is held down but it either plays the animation once or loops constantly.

The admiral
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 12:40
admiral,
Have a look at example 3. If you hold the up or down key, it will switch to a run or walk animation. If you let go of the key, it will switch back to standing. Without seeing any of your code, it is impossible for me to know what you are doing wrong.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool thanks another question can I make a model out of bones and animate the bones, extract the animation and apply the animation to all models using the same bone structure?

The admiral
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 15:59
Quote: "can I make a model out of bones and animate the bones, extract the animation and apply the animation to all models using the same bone structure?"

Absolutely! That is one of the great advantages of this system.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 18:55
Um, about that feature... Does EnAn do the animation sharing by checking the limb's names and apply it if they are the same?
I tried it just lately, but it crashes.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 19:18
It doesn't use limb names. It uses the limb numbers. Your objects need to be similar enough that they have the same limb layout. I have thought about adding a way to assign individual limbs of an animation to individual limbs of an object but I don't know that it would be used enough to be a worthwhile addition.

If your app is crashing, then the object that you are assigning the animation to probably has less limbs than the animation does. One thing that you can try (to prevent the crash) is to de-activate the extra limbs.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 04:08
Well, my exporter never let me choose the limb numbers, so it's pretty impossible for me to work on my object's limbs using numbers. So I have to search through all its limbs' name in order to work on it.

Um, if it's ok, may I request a command that'll clone an animation based on two object's limb names? Perhaps other exporters have this issue too...

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 03:34
It might be better to find a way to get it to use limb names instead because from what I can tell the generated limb numbers are very random. Either that or a way to somehow set a limb to a specific limb number but I dont think this is possible
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 04:28
Also, I noticed that the more limbs in a model, the longer the "EnAn_oacCreate" takes to load...
I tried:
166 limbs = 4.799 sec
214 limbs = 9.294 sec

Any ideas on how to make this faster? I can't really use EnAn_oacCreateClone in any way for some reasons...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 04:42
It sounds to me like having a limb re-assignment option would be the best option. Parsing for the limbs by name would be too slow. I'll look into making this addition.

Quote: "Also, I noticed that the more limbs in a model, the longer the "EnAn_oacCreate" takes to load...
I tried:
166 limbs = 4.799 sec
214 limbs = 9.294 sec

Any ideas on how to make this faster? I can't really use EnAn_oacCreateClone in any way for some reasons..."

I'll see if there is any way that I can improve the speed. There is a lot that happens when you creatre an oac though. Parsing all of the limb hierarchy is a time consuming process. I could possibly add an option to save an oac structure to file. It could then be loaded and applied to a specified object. That would be really fast.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 05:42 Edited at: 27th Apr 2007 05:43
That'll be cool! U da man!

Btw, I now have all 3 of your plugins posted in your signature. They're REALLY useful! Just wanna say thank you for making these!

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 15:18
Quote: "Btw, I now have all 3 of your plugins posted in your signature. They're REALLY useful! Just wanna say thank you for making these!"

Thank you for buying them. I am glad that you are finding the plugins useful!
By the way, I had a look at some of your work a few weeks ago. Really impressive stuff! All of it

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 15:50
@ Wolf,

I've got your Enhanced EZRotate and of course EnAn - and no doubt will buy your 3dCM when it comes out - but havnt yet bought TextureMax.... will TextureMax texture files be incorporated into 3DCM? the thought occurs that that would make it more appealing (and encourage me to buy texturemax too!) - we could then change clothing, hair, eyes etc 'on the fly' within DBPro (with texturemax) too??? p.s. time for the 3DCM WIP thread yet>?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 16:49
You won't really need TextureMax with 3DCM. All of the texture modification can be done right from 3DCM, so there isn't really a need for it. I suppose that it could be useful to export a TextureMax version of the texture so you can change some of the texture parameters on the fly in your game. I'll have to think about that one a bit more. That definately won't be included initially. If there is enough demand for it after 3DCM's release, then I'll consider adding it.

Quote: "p.s. time for the 3DCM WIP thread yet"

Not quite. I'm getting there though. I have all of the vertex weighting redone and 90% of the texture mapping finished. After I get a good base model finished, I'll start a new 3DCM thread. I am taking my time with it and doing it right

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 17:53
@Wolf,

Excellent - if I were to sell you on the texturemax thing for later releases of 3dcm - think about armour, helms etc - would make everything infinitely easier without creating seperate textures and/or models... just an idea...

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah this plugin is awesome hope you get lots of money from it

The admiral
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 05:28
Quote: "Excellent - if I were to sell you on the texturemax thing for later releases of 3dcm - think about armour, helms etc - would make everything infinitely easier without creating seperate textures and/or models... just an idea..."

A agree. It would definately be useful. Especially for clothing and such. As I said, I'll see what happens. I have a mountain of work to do before I can even start thinking about it.

Quote: "Yeah this plugin is awesome hope you get lots of money from it"

Thanks! I do too
In the end, what I hope for with my products that it is viewed as money well spent for my customers. I don't know that the money earned by me ever adds up to the hours that I put into these things, but there is more to it than that for me. Still, the extra cash is nice and does help

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 16:13
Update 1.2 is now LIVE!

Go get it from your order history

vibe runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 20:56
Quick question, how does DBP/EA work with Skeletons? Do they work, anything that needs to be done to get them to work?
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 03:19
Quote: "Quick question, how does DBP/EA work with Skeletons? Do they work, anything that needs to be done to get them to work? "

I'm not sure what you mean??? DO you mean boned models?
Here is a quick rundown of how it works:
-You Load an animated model into DBpro
-You extract the animation data to a *.anim file using one of the EnAn commands.
-You can then load the *.anim file and apply the animation data to models that have the same limb structure.

Hope this helps!

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 11:01
May I suggest 2 commands in your next update?
EnAnOacExist(ID)
EnAnAnimExist(ID)

I can't find them anywhere in the help file... I kinda need it for checking multiple OACs. And "OacID>0" doesn't work...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 16:09
That shouldn't be too hard to do. I'm hoping to get some time to work on the next update this week. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 22:47
OK.... I did some work today.

So far, the following has been added for the next update:

-Fixed the broken EnAn_oacCreateClone command. I broke this one in the last update

-Added a way to re-assign limb numbers. Here are the commands:
EnAn_oacSetLimbReference oacID, Limb, RefLimb
RefLimb = EnAn_oacGetLimbReference( oacID, Limb )
The animation data of the stored limb will be applied to the reference limb number of the model.

-Added commands to Save and Load OAC's to file. The commands are:
EnAn_oacSave oacID, Filename$
oacID = EnAn_oacLoad( Filename$, ObjNo)
I did some speed tests using this method. To Create an OAC took 94ms with the model in the example programs. Using the clone command took less than 1ms to create the OAC. Using the load command also took less than 1ms

Hopefully, there will be more to come! I still want to have another look at the global rotation commands. Hopefully I will have enough time this month to include it. I am really getting deep into my 3DCM development now, so we will see what happens. This is already a nice update though

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 01:53
@Wolf,
Excellent news on all counts...

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 13:20
I just had a look on this thread, and i'd say great news! Both features are the things I need!

I do have some additional suggestions...
"EnAn_oacSetLimbActive" isn't much enough... It still slows down everytime I use "EnAn_oacanimtransition" with 60+ active limbs...
If you can spare some time, is it ok if you add "EnAn_oacSetLimbActivePosition", "EnAn_oacSetLimbActiveRotation", and "EnAn_oacSetLimbActiveScale"? Perhaps that can boost up 5/3 times.

Sorry if I ask too much... It's ok if you can't add them anyway...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 15:03
Quote: "If you can spare some time, is it ok if you add "EnAn_oacSetLimbActivePosition", "EnAn_oacSetLimbActiveRotation", and "EnAn_oacSetLimbActiveScale"? Perhaps that can boost up 5/3 times."

I'm not sure how you are intending the commands to work??? Do you mean so you can de-activate the position portion of the animation ( or the rotation or the scale)? If so, there would be no speed gain from doing so. The animation data is stored internally as rotation matrices. Since one rotation matrix contains all of the data ,it takes just as long to multiply them together if you remove the position and/or scale info. In fact, it would actually slow things down because the data would need to be filtered out of the matrix.

Quote: "I just had a look on this thread, and i'd say great news! Both features are the things I need!"

Quote: "Sorry if I ask too much... It's ok if you can't add them anyway..."

I think both of those recomendations that were recently added were made by you. You don't ask too much. I appreciate the feedback. If someone makes useful suggestions, I am all for adding them. I want my products to be worth every penny to my customers. So, keep the suggestions coming. I'll be happy to add anything that makes sense to the plugin!

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 15:45
Oh??? I thought they were managed individually...
You see, "EnAn_oacanimtransition" causes obvious pause whenever I use it, even with only 30+ active limbs...

Well, ok then... I'll be waiting for the release of the next update then... And thanks for everything!

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 15:54
Mike,
Can you send me one of your models with animation? You seem to use models with LOTS of limbs and much more detail than some other people use. If you could e-mail me a test model, I can see if I can optimise things a bit better for you.

Quote: "Oh??? I thought they were managed individually..."

That is probably because you can set them individually with the EnAn commands. They are all stored together though

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 18:52
Did you change the way the .mesh files are handled? because when running my app which was fine 5mins ago now windows errors after I installed the update, also re-exporting all of the anims is quite the annoyance .

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 20:27
Quote: "Did you change the way the .mesh files are handled?"

No. I don't do anything at all with .mesh files. DBpro actually handles the mesh manipulation.
Are you using cloned oac's? If so, then that is causing the crash. I broke that in 1.2. It has been fixed and will be ok again in 1.3 (which will be released soon). If you need a copy of 1.3 sooner, just let me know. I can send you a trial version of it.

Quote: "also re-exporting all of the anims is quite the annoyance "
Doh! I did build a "version" system into EnAn, but I neglected to use it in the last two updates. Maybe I can write a quick little app that will update all of your .anim files to the correct version. I should probably also build version info into the anim files structure so you can return what version they are. Sorry for any bumps along the road! I'm just trying to keep improving things!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 23:02
Hey, Yes I'm using cloned OACs. I just assumed that the mesh files were the issue, also I do need them to work otherwise I can't even run my game currently so could you send it to my E-Mail below, or I could revert to the older version(if I can find the installer).

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 01:27
I have another suggestion, but this time, it's not for me... Just a thought...
"EnAn_AnimLoadFromObject" or something... For those who doesn't need to seperate their animations and wants to play their models as is...

Quote: "Can you send me one of your models with animation? You seem to use models with LOTS of limbs and much more detail than some other people use. If you could e-mail me a test model, I can see if I can optimise things a bit better for you."

200+ usually, but can be optimise to 60+ active limbs...
I'll email you a DBO file and 2 ANIM files...

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 15:16
Hmm, I'm having some issues with the latest one, while it works the transitions don't always work in my game for some reason, I tried to revert to an older version but I don't have the installer for 1.2(I think) and pasting the old DLL into the plugins-licensed causes a windows error in my game, you wouldn't happen to have the 1.2 installer link anywhere would you?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 16:31
Hmm, I'm having some issues with the latest one, while it works the transitions don't always work in my game for some reason, I tried to revert to an older version but I don't have the installer for 1.2(I think) and pasting the old DLL into the plugins-licensed causes a windows error in my game, you wouldn't happen to have the 1.2 installer link anywhere would you?

The 1.2 installer is the one that is available in your order history. The dll that I e-mailed you was a test version of version 1.3. I think you are looking for the 1.1 installer. I do have a copy of that, and I can e-mail it to you if that is what you need. Just let me know.

What problems are you having with animation transitions? If you are having problems, I want to make sure they are fixed before I release!

Quote: "I have another suggestion, but this time, it's not for me... Just a thought...
"EnAn_AnimLoadFromObject" or something... For those who doesn't need to seperate their animations and wants to play their models as is..."

I could probably add something like that. Still, I would definately recommend that people export their animations out of their objects. It offers too many benefits (especially loading times) not to do it like that.

Quote: "200+ usually, but can be optimise to 60+ active limbs...
I'll email you a DBO file and 2 ANIM files..."

You are quite the artist Mike! The model is great
For some reason the .anim files will not load for me. Do you remember what version of EnAn that you exported them with? I am DEFINATELY going to have to do something better with a version system!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 17:33
Hey,

I'm not sure what the issue is exactly, my animations just aren't transitioning properly, sometimes they transition but other times it just loops the previous animation, when printing out the transition values I believe it said it was transitioning but it wasn't. All my OACs are clones if that changes anything. E-Mail me the 1.1 installer if you can, I'll see if they start working again.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 17:56
Thanks! 1.1... I'm planning on updating in 1.3... Seems 1.2 is quite buggy...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 18:27
The only real bug in 1.2 is the oac clones. Dark Coder is having trouble with a test version of 1.3 that I sent him. I have no idea why though. I didn't change anything that really changed the way things transition. Hmmm... I did change one thing. I fixed the bug that was causing eratic behavior if you sent continuous transitions to an oac. Maybe that is causing you some grief. DarkCoder, can you send me a model file and usage snippet that shows the problem that you are having? I'll send you the 1.1 installer.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 20:00
I just installed 1.1 and they were back to normal as they should be, I'll make a demo tomorrow as I've been coding for too long now :p.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 20:07
No problem! I look forward to seeing your demo. I'm curious to see what the problem is.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 18:56
Well I wasn't able to finish my example due to a windows error, can you confirm this? It happens whenever I call the command to make a clone from an OAC. Just paste the code over the #1 example for it to run.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 19:15
Dark Coder,
I think everyone is getting confused about versions.
1.0 = Original version
1.1 = Added OAC clones
1.2 = Current version (in your Order History). Broken OAC clones.
1.3 = Not yet released. I sent you a test version. OAC clones are fixed!

Which version are you trying to compile with? You can easily check by right clicking on the dll and going to properties. The code that you posted works fine for me (1.3). My guess is that you are using the 1.2 version that has the broken OAC clones.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:29:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:29:34