Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Enhanced Animation - 1.6 released (9-Feb-09)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 23:08 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 00:51
If u could point me in the right direction, it would really help. I tried to do this:

get some really wacky results, I know I ask alot, but just a step in the right direction would really help alot and using this wonder plug-in you have made.

One thing: i've noticed that the command EnAn_Animgettotallimbs returns 0, isn't it suppose to return the total number of limbs in the animation file?

EDIT: nm......about the limbs not showing up.

Hope u can at least give me some advice on how to reassign the limbs

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 01:55
I'll see if I can throw a quick example together for you. If you would like to e-mail me a couple of the models that you are trying to work with, that would help.

a.k.a WOLF!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 13:42
OK..
I had a good play with the media that you sent me. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work either. It isn't because of the EnAn commands. It is more because the models themselves are a little to different internaly.
I tried to use the nurse as a base, then match up the limbs of the other two models by name. The one model was close to working (the "fatzombie" one), the other was way off. I think what is causing the problem is the internal "original" matrix that is used by each object. They must be quite different and the animation data is applied to that in order to work.
I have some ideas to get this functionality to work, but it is going to take some time before I can really dig into it. So, sorry for now. The objects just aren't similar enough. Hopefully this depth of support will be a cool new feature of EnAn someday soon though.

a.k.a WOLF!
Lover of games
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks anyways, I look forward to when u can do it, maybe add it as an example to the next update, that might help someone with a similar problem

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 18:54
I'm hoping to start working on another update to EnAn once my update to EZrotate is complete. I am also making both available to GDK and GDK.net

a.k.a WOLF!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 01:52
"I am also making both available to GDK and GDK.net"

That is really good news.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 07:29 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 07:29
I bought Advanced Animations, but I seem to be having a problem with one of the commands that seems vital to the use of this plugin. Please read this post:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115889&b=1

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 10:15 Edited at: 19th Oct 2007 10:15
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 09:47
@ Ron,

How go EnAN and EZRotate updates? and 3DCM>>?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 16:27
Duffer,

It is ironic that you posted. I was just thinking last night... "it has been a while since Duffer has asked me about 3DCM"
There is a good reason that I was thinking about that. I just finished a DBpro update for EnAn and EZrotate. I also just finished the port of EnAn and EZrotate to GDK. And... get ready for it... I started working on 3DCM again LAST NIGHT!

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 18:35
@ Ron,

Top man. Will wait for the updates to be posted and next vid of 3DCM WIP...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 02:04
Ron, I just had a look at the enhanced animations demo tonight and I have to say, I'm really impressed. It looks really smooth - its definitely on my purchase list.

Does the source code for this demo come with the plugin? Are there tutorials with the documentation?

(apologies if this has been asked before - but I just didn't feel like reading 161 posts!)

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 03:08 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 03:08
There are several examples with source code included with the plugin, of which the demo is one of them.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 03:53 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 03:53
I've got a question myself:

the EnAn_oacGetLimbTransCurrentFrame( oacID, Limb ) command seems to return always a 0, 1, or a 2, no matter what animation is playing on the limb. It returns the 2 when the limb is not animating (I think), and when it is, it returns either a 0 or a 1. Shouldn't it return the frame number that it's playing?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 14:17
Redmotion,
Thanks. The demo source is included (or at least something very similar). There are currently five example programs to play with. If you (or anyone else) is interested, I could always compile a time-limited demo version of it for you to mess around with. My PC is out of commision at the moment though, so it may be a few days before I can do that for you. Send me an e-mail if you are interested and I will reply with a demo as soon as I can!

Quote: "the EnAn_oacGetLimbTransCurrentFrame( oacID, Limb ) command seems to return always a 0, 1, or a 2, no matter what animation is playing on the limb. It returns the 2 when the limb is not animating (I think), and when it is, it returns either a 0 or a 1. Shouldn't it return the frame number that it's playing?"

As mentioned above, my PC is down at the moment so I can't test things out for you. I can only guess at what is happening.
Try to increase the transition time and see if that changes things for you. I think your animation is transitioning so fast that it is only getting to frame 2 before it has completely transitioned to the new animation. At that point, the transition animation is no longer active and the "playing" animation becomes what your transition animation was. There really is no "current transition frame" if the transition animation is no longer active. You are just seeing the final frame from the last time a transition animation occurred.

a.k.a WOLF!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 08:21
Uhhh....slowed it waaay down, and depending on the speed, I'll either get a 0 or a 1, or just a 0.

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 11:19 Edited at: 31st Oct 2007 11:47
Thanks for the offer Ron, but I bought it yesterday, so you're off the hook! (Well you could do it anyway to pursuade anyone else still on the fence.)

I was playing around with it last night with a free animated model from the good ol' WWW and I kept getting constant crashes. But I then switched the model supplied with plugin and it was working fine. So I guess there is something up with the bone animations.

It seemed that if I didn't pick the correct limb to run the animations from it would just crash. Could this be changed to some sort of error collection system? eg: if you try to play anim on the incorrect base limb nothing happens (and the game keeps running) and it returns an error code instead. So you can display this on the screen as either a 1 or a 0 (or something better).

When I did finally track down the right limb to play the animation on it seemed to distort the extracted animation. All I could think of was that some of the animations on the model had been done with GLOBAL transformations rather than all with LOCAL. Do you think that might be the case? I'll post the model up tonight if you want to take a look.

I've been using it with dark AI by the way. Works a treat.

On my wishlist in DBPro animation department is still "shape animation". I don't think direct x files can cope with it, so it would be nice if someone/anyone could create a import plugin/player for a more fully featured 3d file format like collada. <- I'd pay for that especially if it worked in EnAn.

Great work on the plugin.

EDIT: model attached - it has positional and rotational animation keys - it was converted from a .b3d to .x file in Ultimate Unwrap.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 14:29
Uncle Sam:
If you could send me an example model with a short code snippet showing what is going on, I'd be able to look into it better.

Redmotion:
Quote: "I was playing around with it last night with a free animated model from the good ol' WWW and I kept getting constant crashes. But I then switched the model supplied with plugin and it was working fine. So I guess there is something up with the bone animations."

Does the model load and play it's animations in DBpro? If so, then it *should* work in EnAn. I'm not sure what the problem is with this. If you like, send me that model too. I'll have a look.

Quote: "It seemed that if I didn't pick the correct limb to run the animations from it would just crash. Could this be changed to some sort of error collection system? eg: if you try to play anim on the incorrect base limb nothing happens (and the game keeps running) and it returns an error code instead. So you can display this on the screen as either a 1 or a 0 (or something better).

When I did finally track down the right limb to play the animation on it seemed to distort the extracted animation. All I could think of was that some of the animations on the model had been done with GLOBAL transformations rather than all with LOCAL. Do you think that might be the case? I'll post the model up tonight if you want to take a look.
"

It shouldn't crash just from selecting an incorrect limb. The only things currently that I know can cause a crash is if you use an incorrect OAC ID or and incorrect Animation ID (It would be nice to add some kind of error catching on that too in the near future).

I'll definitely have a look at your model to see if I get similar strange results.

Quote: "On my wishlist in DBPro animation department is still "shape animation". I don't think direct x files can cope with it, so it would be nice if someone/anyone could create a import plugin/player for a more fully featured 3d file format like collada. <- I'd pay for that especially if it worked in EnAn."

What do you mean by "shape" animation? Right now, I am still letting DBpro handle the actual vertex transformations. I've dug deep enough into file formats and animation data to understand how to manually effect vertex transforms based on the animation data (and whatever else I want to throw into the mix). If there is something else useful that you are interested in, please give me more information on it. I can't guarantee that I will be able to add it (or at least in the *near* future), but I would definitely be willing to look into it!

I will look at your models/problems soon! My PC is still out of order. The part that I need should be coming in today. I have a bunch of things for work that I need to catch up on, but I will dig into this as soon as I am able to!

Thanks for buying EnAn!

a.k.a WOLF!
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 21:07 Edited at: 31st Oct 2007 21:08
Thanks for giving it some thought. I'm going to try looking at again from scratch.

Shape animation: I guess the best way to describe "shape animation" is vertex animation without bones.

http://www.edharriss.com/tutorials/tutorial_xsi_shape_animation/shape_animation.html

Shapes are mouth and facial expressions created from one set of vertices which are then blended from one to the next to create the illusion of the character talking or feeling emotions.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 17:15
Quote: "Shapes are mouth and facial expressions created from one set of vertices which are then blended from one to the next to create the illusion of the character talking or feeling emotions."

I was condidering adding something that would allow similar "results" but still require bones to work properly. The way I was thinking of handling this was to add animation "offsets". So, basicly, you could transition to an animation that would be held as an offset to any animation that is currently playing. For example, you would be able to transition to a "smile" facial pose while continuing to play the "speaking" animations. The smile pose would just act as an offset to whatever other animation was playing on the face at that time.
This is something that I definately plan to add

As for BOTH of your problems (Redmotion and Uncle Sam), I think they may actually be related! I got my laptop back in order yesterday and had a quick look at the problems. I don't know for sure if I have found it, but I might have an idea of what could be causing the issues. If so, then I should have a solution sometime soon! I have a couple of ideas of ways to better support different animation types. I'll keep digging!

a.k.a WOLF!
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 23:14
Quote: "For example, you would be able to transition to a "smile" facial pose while continuing to play the "speaking" animations"

Sounds interesting, look forward to seeing more.

I coded this last night and a little tonight to show the difference in results using the same model twice and making it easy to compare the problems I'm having with this particular model.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 18:18 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2007 21:19
Redmotion,

I am getting closer.

Have a look at the info below:

This is some animation data from the zombie file that you sent me. These are the position keys of "Joint6". If you look at the data, the first thing that is shown is the number 52, simply stating that there are 52 position keys. The rest of the data is the actual keys.
The first part of each key is the Frame in the animation in which the key occurs. If you look down through the data, you will see some keys occurring at the same time (Look at Frame 58). There are a bunch of these and it seems to occur on every limb. I have a feeling that I am "handling" this different than how it should be handled. The only problem is that I am not sure how I should handle it! It is going to take some deeper digging.

Edit:
Well, the problem mentioned above wasn't the cause. I got that fixed but not the original problem. Still digging.

a.k.a WOLF!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 22:06
Do you think it will soon that this gets solved? Because it's, uh, kinda important that I can be able to check the current frame of the limb...

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 22:22
Actually, hehe, I found a method that works for now. Take your time.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 09:23
@ Ron,

Saw the stuff about new versions of EZRotate (and EnAn?) - eta?

3DCM progress? (courtesy of your harrying but ready to purchase) consumer...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 15:01
Enhanced Animations v1.4 now released (19-Nov-2007)

You can download the new version from your order history. There are a couple of minor bug fixes and optimizations. The main news about this release is that EnAn is now available for GDK! You can download it from your order history if you have purchased EnAn.

Quote: "3DCM progress? (courtesy of your harrying but ready to purchase) consumer..."

I'm working away on it. I'll try to post a screen later this week

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 21:02
@ Ron,

Excellent -- thanks for the update (in more ways than one) - will now download...

How is modernisation of EZRotate going>?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 21:05
It has also been released TODAY! You can download it from your order history

a.k.a WOLF!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 21:04
Wow, thanks!

Could you provide a brief list of the update changes in Enhanced Animations?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2007 01:39
Quote: "Could you provide a brief list of the update changes in Enhanced Animations?"

The update to the DBpro version was minor. I am still working fixing a couple bugs. The main thing that happened with this update was the completion of the GDK version. Here is a list:

-Enhanced Animations now available for GDK!
-Fixed problem with EnAn_ObjSaveNoAnims command
-Speed optimizations added to EnAn_oacUpdate command

a.k.a WOLF!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2007 02:29
Ah, ok, thanks. I was just wondering if any internal, system updates were made that would affect and require me to change my code.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2007 14:40
Quote: "I was just wondering if any internal, system updates were made that would affect and require me to change my code."

Nope. Not this time anyway

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:46
Hi Ron,

How goes the 3DCM>? (sorry to hassle)

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 17:47
shameless bump...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 18:03
Haha!
I was going to respond earlier, but I wanted to do it with a WIP thread for 3DCM. Not quite there yet. Things are really starting to come together though. I have re-written how some of the texturing works. It used to take a few seconds each time the texture was generated (which really felt too long). That was with 1024x1024 textures. Now, using the new method, it completes in less than 1 second for a 2048x2048 texture! I have also done some work on an automatic normal map generation and getting that to work properly with shaders (which was my first time messing around with shaders). The normal map thing was more of a "test" thing though. I am not sure if it will be part of the final package.
Currently, I am working on the GUI which is starting to pull everything together.
I know I have been saying it for a while, but a WIP is coming soon! I promise

a.k.a WOLF!
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 22:47 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 22:49
I finally got around to really look at this plugin to consider its purchase. I read this whole thread as well as the product description and I understood the feature of exporting the animation to an .anim file and, if another model has the same skeleton, reusing it there as well (quite cool).

What I don't understand is how the setting up of multiple animations' mixing (as seen on the demo) works.

e.g. I have a model that contains a walk anim (arms hanging down), and a swing sword anim (legs stopped). How can I say which limbs are pertinent in the walk animation (i.e. the legs+hips) and which are pertinent in the sword swing (i.e. upper body+arms) so that I can later specify a "walk and swing sword" mixed animation?

Can anyone explain to me the asset pipeline for this, please?

I have vague plans for World Domination
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 23:33
Hi Miguel,

When you apply an animation to an object with Enhanced Animations, you specify which limb that you would like to apply it to. So, you can easily apply any animation to any limb. To make things even easier, there is also an option to apply the animation to just the limb OR the limb and all of it's children. For example, if you wanted to apply a "run" animation to an object's legs, you could either individually apply the animation to each limb that is part of the leg OR you can just choose to apply the animation to the object's hips with the "apply to children" option selected.
I hope this helps!
If you would ever like to try out a demo version of the dll, I'd be happy to send you a time-limited copy. Just send me an e-mail.

-Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 14:08
@ Ron,

Excellent news - will eagerly await WIP post... also some movies of app in action would be good...

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 22:29 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 22:29
Question....does it mean something in particular if the following problem occurs?

My game suddenly started crashing, and I found out what line is doing it:

When I comment this out, it doesn't crash. I'm entirely certain that ID is an id value I created BEFORE the main program loop from an object:

What's wierd is that it worked yesterday, and I'm using many other EnAn commands that are not crashing it. But when it gets to the update line, it crashes. Does it mean anything?

Thanks.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 00:36
Uncle Sam,

I'd have to see your code. Can you send me an example. That usually means that the ID is somehow invalid. It is hard to say what is happening without seeing it myself.

-Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 04:08 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 04:09
Oops, sorry! That was a wierd bug. I had the ID stored in a real array, not an integer array. It worked fine before, but all of a sudden it started crashing. I changd it to integer and it works now. Note to reader: MAKE SURE you are storing the ID in an integer!

Thanks anyways, Ron.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 04:21
Cool! Glad it is now working for you!

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 13:06
@ Ron,

3DCM - an idea of the proposed and realised capabilities of this software as a taster at least?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 17:50
Duffer,
Check the WIP board. I added a 3DCM WIP just for you

a.k.a WOLF!
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 15:40 Edited at: 12th Jan 2008 15:41
A ha... A quote from: WIP / 3D Character Maker [WIP]
Quote: "After I had finished Enhanced Animations, I decided to completly re-vamp 3D Character Maker."

So enhanced animations is finished?
And supports global limb rotation?

Ah, finally, I can carry on with top secret project...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 17:56
@ SimSmall...

Harsh... at least Ron is trying to solve a probably inscrutably difficult problem...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 18:31
Quote: "So enhanced animations is finished?
And supports global limb rotation?"

Finished? I guess it depends on your point of view. EZrotate was released nearly 4 years ago, and it just received a HUGE update with lots of new features. Is it finished? I'd say yes. Does that mean it won't get even more updates and features in the future? I'd say hell no!

I still plan on doing lots of cool things with EnAn. I've spent a lot of time trying to make global rotations work. I just don't have it quite right yet. I don't believe that I ever "promised" it as a feature. I only said that IF I could get it to work, then it would definitely be added.

My focus is currently on 3DCM. Things are moving along nicely with it. Working on it is probably going to cause me to do an update to TexureMax (another "finished" product). It's just the way things work. I'm only one person! There is only so much love to go around. I am doing everything that I possibly can to keep all of my products updated and to become more and more useful. I think I have a pretty good record in doing that.

a.k.a WOLF!
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 19:50
When I read in the other thread that it was finished, I just couldn't believe it, I felt quite relieved that a long wait was over, but before heading over to buy, just wanted actual confirmation that it was there...

I apologize for the rubbish phrasing I used there though. A little thought could definately have been used there, so sorry about that...

I've not been pestering about that too much over the past nine months (or at least, I hope I've not appeared to be a nagging 3 year old) because I have very little time available to actually use DBP out of uni time. I'm sure Ron has many other commitments too, Possibly with nothing to do with DBP development, possibly nothing to do with computers also.

Also yes, I don't think you actually promised global limb rotation, although. I'm quite surprised by how few people have seemed to want this feature. It would indeed be very nice to see working but with uni not finishing until June, I could postpone the project until then, and then work on other features.

Anyway, I'll leave you to work on your projects, I wish you well with them, and I'll go and do some studying, like I really should be doing.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 15:24
Hey... no problems.
Global limb rotation is definitely a feature that I still want to add to EnAn. I'm not sure when I will start working on it again. There are lots of other things to finish first

a.k.a WOLF!
Plougot
Years of Service
User Offline
hi ! I bought Enhanced Animation a few days ago, and i got some little problems. I think i can solve them by myself, tricking a little bit, but I wanted to know if there's an "official" solution.

I animate my models with max and I export them in .X with Kw export. I extract and load the animations with Enhanced animation, and it works perfectly, except the animation of the "root object" of the biped. With DBP normal animations, it works, but with Enhanced, when my model crouches, he floats.
I noticed that with your example, the animation of the model hadn't this problem. Maybe there's a way to export .x ?

My second problem is more simple : the fifth example doesn't work. I run, and I just have a black screen. I waited, and nothing happened. But maybe I just didn't wait enough

Thanks !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:32:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:32:58