Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V105 RC1 (files only)

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 20:41
Thanks Avenging Eagle, now thats the kind of bug report I like. A picture is worth a thousand words and I commend you as a fellow game author You will be pleased to learn the changes are entirely user definable, and if you look in the SETUP.INI of both versions you will notice the values I changed. You can even make your lightmaps higher quality if you like, but beware of the resource drain. I set the default lower as we have lots of users with mid-range graphics solutions and can't afford a level full of 512x512 lightmaps

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
I will have to remove non-stock segments as it's unlikely that you will have them Lee, probably quicker for me to make a new level with prefabs and position the enemies in the same places.

I'll do this now.

Thanks
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Lee,

Is it possible that you give us a description of the available parameters in setup.ini? Lightmapquality etc.

Maybe it could be updated in the FPSC manual.

Thanks.
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 21:40
@mrniceguy

I'm guessing it's 1 to 100 for the Lightmapquality.

Try that.

DC out

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 22:50
Quote: "I'm guessing it's 1 to 100 for the Lightmapquality."

Yes, however i chose 50 and got as good a result as on V1.04 RC10. I think to make it more user-friendly, and more compatible to average Joe's computer, i'd set it at 25-45.

@ Lee
Glad you liked my post, i've got another one to prove the lightmapping edits work in final build. This, for me, is the first update in which Dark Lights has been completely perfect.

And by the way, here are my specs:
Pentium 2.8GHz
1.0 Gb RAM
Running XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2)
ATi X1600 pro (256MB)

Hope that helps,
AE

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 23:01
I found my lightmap quality works from about 10-25.

Fiberfrag
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, nice patch! All 6 levels build together. Best fix yet! Good Job Lee!

Fiberfrag

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 23:33
Lee sharpens his sword!

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 00:03
Lee tries to run back into his Vista cave, and the FPSC guys stop him Ah well..I guess I can fix multiplayer while I am out here!

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 00:22
Don't be tempted by those Vista Vixens Lee, they're only after your soul and they'll leave you for dead. Much better to be among the XP Patriots where we'll carry you on our shoulders like the true hero you are...

... and then steal your soul.. hee, hee...

Search for "HellHouse" in Showcase.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 02:21
OK we need some of our English forum brothers to head over to TGC studios and duct tape Lee to an XP rig...... This getting un-stickied is scaring me........
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 03:29
Somebody unsticked it and stickied it back...spooky.
Lee and friends are going to post the installer for this Monday.
Heck,it could be Monday on England time.I'm in Indiana so I don't know.
Heck,here in Indiana we had to start daylight savings time early...somebody said something about it was supposed to conserve energy or some such like that.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 03:43 Edited at: 12th Mar 2007 09:43
Quote: "Heck,here in Indiana we had to start daylight savings time early...somebody said something about it was supposed to conserve energy or some such like that."

3 weeks early at that. I hate this time change. I don't understand the whole energy saving thing, but if they say it does, than it probably doesn't, lol.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 05:02
Well i tried to install these files and I am sure i messed something up along the way... but the error that i am having is the fatal debug 0.0 when i try to edit he global via the build menu..sheesh all i need is fog...and i edited the lightmap quality back to 100 but i still get nothing even close to 1.04.

I do have full lightmapping on, and the highest setting for textures.

My graphics card is an Nvidia 7800 (nvidia chipset) 512mb. I have 2 gigs of ram and a 3700 amd athlon 64 fx clawhammer cpu.....

Can one of you guys help me out here? Go ahead and add me via MSN.

Cheers!
RF

jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 06:41
nice patch but im going to play it safe and download the installer version.

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin...
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 09:41
@Reality Forgotten

I had the same problem with the new update. I did a repair with the FPC Creator disk and that done the job for me.

DC out

xified
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 20:46
Enemies are invisible with full shader effects turned on with 1.05

Lee states: "* Reverted to DirectX OCTOBER 2006 (d3dx9_31.dll) due to compatibility issues with 1.X Shaders"

I'm running the Feb2007 DirectX build. Could this be my problem?

My specs are:
ASUS P5B-E
Intel 6600 C2D
BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS
WinXP
(All latest drivers installed)

Code so clean you could eat off it.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 00:41
Great work on 1.05 RC1 Lee.

I think your decision to focus on getting all of the bugs sorted out with 1.05 and 1.06 of FPSC is a good idea. There's no point in adding new features to FPSC until everything that already exists work correctly, otherwise it's just a never ending battle to produce something stable.

1.05 works fine for me. I removed 1.04 RC10 (not repaired) which automatically deleted the core .exe files from the program files root directory. Then I simply copied the 1.05 RC1 files in rather than overwriting the previous 1.04 RC10 ones.

Having the ability to manually adjust the lightmapping quality is essential and works great. In fact things seem to already be a lot more stable in this version which is a firm step in the right direction.

Reality Forgotten - Sounds like it is an installation issue. I can confirm that there is no problem with the global settings from the build game menus. The only time I've ever experienced the fatal bug 0,0 crash is when I tried to build a level with the same name as an existing level in the 'MyGames' folder or forgot to save the .fpm before building, which were both user errors. Either wait for the v1.05 installer which should be with us shortly or start again from v1.

Xified - Lee is aware of the transparent enemies issue and has stated that this will be fixed in the next v1.05 RC2 release. For a temporary work around, if you want to use full shaders then change edit the enemies properties (right click the enemy in the map editor) and change the effect setting to fastbone from the effects folder. This will stop the enemy from being transparent but just means if they are near a light source when the game is build, their texture will effectively be permanently fused with the colour of that light source rather than changing dynamically. I don't think that it matters whether you are using directx 9.0c oct / dec or feb 07 for the time being, just hold on for v1.05 RC2.

Anyway thanks for the update Lee and your ongoing support to the community.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 03:16
Ok, rather than start a few thread, I am uploading the installer version of RC2 here:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPS_Creator_V105_RC2_120307.zip
http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/V105RC2-Files.zip

I have done some more work on V105 and so I thought it best to get it into your hands as soon as possible. See the readme for a new FAQ I am building, which at some point I will transfer to a website near you. The readme for RC2 below:

V1.0.5 RC2 - 12/03/07
---------------------

* Modified firewall detection so that a true IP Address is detected and used for info and HOSTING (whatismyip.php)
* Restored ability for lightmapper to delete old lightmap files, which caused game sizes to swell over time
* Modified BUMPBONE shader so full effect characters are not semi-transparent by default
* Added additional thread and memory checks to the lightmapper, to catch unusual behaviour on some systems
* Added parameter to USEWEAPON FPI action to allow the throwing of flak to provide strength (100=full/50=half)
* Updated the core AI scripts for all default characters, giving them a more direct purpose (more predicatable behaviour)
* Added collision data to all voids in a scene so characters cannot run off ledges - better behaviour overall
* Added collision data radar to entity debug information mode so collision interactions can be visualised

V1.0.5 RC1 - 09/03/07
---------------------

* Changed V103/V105 texts in all languages to V105
* Fixed bug to restore ability to move the selection area splitter (making property area wider)
* Fixed bug to restore the colour dialog on the object properties field
* Selecting EDIT LOADING SCREEN without selecting a level no longer freezes the editor
* Reverted to DirectX OCTOBER 2006 (d3dx9_31.dll) due to compatibility issues with 1.X Shaders
* Replaced DirectX detector with simpler method, earlier in the Editor Initialisation Phase
* Reduced lightmapquality to 10 in setup.ini (reduces texture consumption by 800%)
* Fixed bug causing lightmapper to use an old mesh buffer after secondary UV added (replace=true)
* Ensured New Arena and Arena tab work in the new update of the FPS Creator interface
* Added code to verify no firewall is blocking communication with gamelist server, else useful error
* Added additional text when IP of local LAN detected, instructing user that any HOSTing is local only
* New mode added to 'lightmapthreadmax' from SETUP.INI. Mode -2 instructs the engine not to use threads

I have taken over the FPSC update building from Mike to give him some space to work closer with DarkGDK, and so I can respond with more updates direct to this forum. We also had a quick arena death match this morning too, using an RC2 build, both of us behind routers. It did not work until I configured my routers port forwarding settings to allow the UDP port 2303 to get through to my local machine at 192.168.0.2. Mikes router was smarter than mine and autoconfigured his port forwarding for the game server when he hosted. We both played as host and joiner, and it worked a charm. Give the multiplayer features of RC2 a whirl, and if you have no luck, go check out your router settings. You can usually get to the router menu by opening a browser and entering 192.168.0.1 as the URL. Imagine your router as the first local machine in your network, taking up the first available local IP address. It is likely your local IP is 192.168.0.2 if you only have one machine on your network. I have added more into to the new FAQ in the readme.txt of RC2.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 03:29
For those of you who don't follow the date scheme that Lee stated, the USA is I believe the ONLY country that used Month/Day/Year whereas the rest of the planet uses Day/Month/Year.

Thanks Lee, cannot wait to check it out!

Your mod has been erased by a signature
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 03:43
Quote: "We also had a quick arena death match this morning too"

Who won? lol

I'll give it a go. Hope it works good.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 04:20 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 04:21
good patch no problem so far. Thanks for making an installer and file overwrite versions. I like 1.05 rc2 best of all. Getting better all the time Lee.

[http://www.mk83productions.com] [http://www.freewebs.com/mk83]
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 04:41
I've tested it out fully now. It is the best update so far. I still have the lighting problem where there are no lights when I put them down. This is not a problem though because one of my buddies just got FPSC and he has a working computer. So I'll make sure we both have the same files so I can send him the .fpm.

Thanks for this update Lee!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 05:08
When I set my prefs up for full lightmapping and max textures this is what it looks like when I try to build a test level in FPSC...
screenshot attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 05:11
Thread timed out???? I've never seen anything like it.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 05:40 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 05:42
This is terrorstrike with full light mapping full shaders on and 512 texturing. I did not have this problem when I don't use shaders.
my specs are
Pentium 4 3.00Ghz
6800 GS video card
2 gig ddr2 ram
February direct x version SDK.
FPSC 1.05 RC2

Attachments

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 05:41
heres a lightened up pic.

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 09:21 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 09:22
Quote: "Mikes router was smarter than mine and autoconfigured his port forwarding for the game server when he hosted."

If you hosted first, then Mike didn't need to set up port forwarding when he hosted because the NAT tables of the routers were already configured for it. Of course, this only applies if you tested it with Mike hosting in a certain period of time after testing it with you hosting, due to the fact that entries in the NAT table only persist for a set time (which varies from router to router).

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 16:24 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 16:24
@Lee

Lee, this is a bug that's been in FPSC since the very beginning, but I thought I'd post it here so it could be fixed in the next update.

Segments disappear when placed to the right side of the editor and they also disappear when you look a different way. This also happens with doors.

Facing East in my game:

Segments are fine while facing north, south and west:

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 19:33
FredP:
Quote: "When I set my prefs up for full lightmapping and max textures this is what it looks like when I try to build a test level in FPSC...
screenshot attached."

I can confirm this also.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 20:07 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 20:09
Quote: "Segments disappear when placed to the right side of the editor and they also disappear when you look a different way. This also happens with doors."

i want to confirm what higgins stated. ive never had this issue with regular segments, only corridors, and only the scifi ones at that, but then again, i dont use the ww2 one that much.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 20:09
BULLSHOCK, its not just the corridoors that this happens with, but also model pack 3, with the fences. It seems to happen to random segments.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 20:17
Does this happen when the segments are right near the edge of the mapping area?

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 21:22
No, it happens any where in the map.
olliday
Years of Service
User Offline
That happens to me on the fences as well.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 23:34 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 23:35
ok this update runs pretty good. Though I have a problem.... After a test the game, none of the media is unloaded and the editor is not fired back up, it just sits there with the fpsc editor open and a black screen where the actual editor grid should be. it never unloads the resources. It gives me our favorite little error..

Hey lee can you change that message to have a nice day or something, the debug standard message is getting a bit old

Regards,
RF

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 01:46
I've also experienced the segment disappearing thing although not when facing the other way in game, only when they are not rendered from the start of the game.

After spending some time creating a normal map for a texture I thought would look good in a corridor last night. I got everything setup, placed the wall segments in the editor which appeared just fine and textured correctly etc. I attributed the bump.fx effect to this wall segment in the .fps and built a test level with full shaders on to find once the game started the right hand side of the corridor and then end wall had disappeared.

Eventually I realised that by placing each of the individual wall segments in the map editor the same way around (i.e. north facing for horizontal and west facing for vertical) the next time I built the test level everything was present and correct.

I'm guessing that this is something to do with the normal map being applied and rendered when the segment is reversed.

Also I noticed that the engine only generated a .dds file for the normal map if I used the _d2 extension as the primary texture reference and not the _d. I'm guessing that this is meant to be the case and I just havent figured out why yet.

Presumably the disappearing thing only happens with individual wall segments as apposed to entire room segments but I haven't tested this yet or when using an entity wall rather than a segment wall.

Higgins - Perhaps you can shed some light as you must be an authority on the subject by now after having raised the point so long ago now!

Reality Forgotten - Sounds like a fresh install of FPSC to me. It can't be coincidence that you are experiencing this many errors, and you said yourself you didn't feel things had gone according to plan after updating the 1.05 RC1 files in the root directory. Use the new v1.05 RC2 on a fresh installation of FPSC v1 would be my advice.

On a positive note, v1.05 RC2 sure came round pretty quick so things are certainly looking up now and key areas of the engine are being fixed which is great news. Hopefully this has restored faith back into the community, which is a shame for those who left in recent months although I wouldn't mind betting they will be back on the scene once they've seen the recent developments. Especially with talk of ragdoll physics and DarkAI in FPSC's future.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 02:51
After working with this update for the past few hours I have definitely come to the conclusion that this is the best update. The loading times have nearly halved what they were.

Thanks for this update!

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 06:42
MULTI PLAYER UPDATE INFORMATION

Okay guys. For the past few days me and AlanC have been trying to play with each other on Multi Player. However, we both have a router. So for the past however many days it was, we've been brainstorming how to do this. Well nothing would work. Well Alan decided to make a tiny little MP game with this update. He hosted the match and it worked PERFECT! It showed his TRUE IP and the whole bits. Even my lame computer was able to get into a game.

I got powned though, lol. I got a stupid little pop up thing that took up half the screen and if I tried to alt-tab it away it would freeze. And I got 8 fps. But no excuses, alan won.

bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 09:42
I wonder if Lee can fix the collision with enemies, when sticking half way through a wall or door or any part of the level. Others have mentioned this before, and this happens when you kill an enemy. And then sometimes they even come at you through the walls.
Maybe he should use the nuclear glory collision system.

BSGamemaker..
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 02:15
I seem to be having some really weird MP problem.

Me and Alan easily played the other day. Now we seem to both be getting this issue (see screeny). I tried disabling my firewall, powercycling the computer and all sorts of things. Yet I couldn't seem to get it.

Any ideas???

Attachments

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Lag on the server where the game list is kept maybe.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 02:32
It worked perfect yesterday. But it's right when I click on the EXE.

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
It would help if we knew what the error numbers meant, but we don't and have not been informed about this so far.
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 03:32 Edited at: 15th Mar 2007 03:33
It would be good if it did not have to try and connect to the remote server. For example those that are using the games on a closed network.

Plus it IP checking scanned for the local address and external address for those that what to play on a closed netowrk.

DC out

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 07:42
More info with MP.

Well me and Alan played again today. I tried to host with a Linksys router but for some reason he could not join. It just showed no games listed. Oddly I could join him. He is using a Quest router.

He beat me 4 to 30 the first time.

Second time I beat him 21 to 30.

Yesssss, lol.

tj990
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 10:34
When shall this be put into an installer?
You said monday? It's already past monday here.

bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 10:40 Edited at: 15th Mar 2007 10:41
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lee, this is a bug that's been in FPSC since the very beginning, but I thought I'd post it here so it could be fixed in the next update.

Segments disappear when placed to the right side of the editor and they also disappear when you look a different way. This also happens with doors."

Higgins, there appears to be something very wrong with the segment "Maintenance Corridor". I think it probably was exported from the segment editor with incorrect settings somehow. I was able to reproduce this with other working segments that don't have this problem by messing with the "visibility" and "offset" in the .fps file.

It might be worth messing with those values or simply re-exporting the problem segments with the official segment editor.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm guessing that this is something to do with the normal map being applied and rendered when the segment is reversed."

That sounds logical, normal maps can't be mirrored or reversed or the lighting will appear "inside out". It sounds like you've figured that out though.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 17:20:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 17:20:39