Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Alone - wip and 3d modelling request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 11:47
Hey Lukas W.. Search in 3d Chat board for my free box model Hope you like it.. I have other some good and some bad free models around there too

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 12:26
huh, a crate? It looks awesome (especially the texture),
But I was thinking that in my crates I'm going to build them manually in a Physics Editor I'm going to write for the game.

Basically in the editor I will be able to make plains/boxes with rigid body properties and link them together with joints to build a cube (build it like a real crate, with wooden planks).
Then in the game when you shoot/hit the crate, it will break apart and stuff. The editor will also be able to make chairs, tables etc. (Think of a 3D Modelling tool with PhysX abilities).

But it would be so much fun if somebody allready wrote an application like that, it would help me save loads of time. But then again it would help me learn DarkPHysics stuff (which I need to learn anyway, in order to make this game).

Oh and I accidentially looked at your old character model. It looked aweseom. Think you're up for some zombie modelling, pretty please? I'll give you cake in mail and stuff.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, I found the dll but now it tells me my screen size is illegal, suggestions?

I like my sig.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 14:47
Yea, before I packed and upload it, I forgot to edit the game settings. So currently it is trying to run at 1360x768x32 screen resolution.

you can try to open "settings.ini" (forgot the filename) and replace the values in there with zeros.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 14:47
Oh dont use my mail what you see on my tgc profile

Its actually my old mail and i use it only for MSN

My actual mail is mailRoxas <at> gmail <dot> com

I changed my mail provider because my old mail is always full of spam..

Im not sure about zombie modelling.. Well i can model mesh but i cant texture it i havent trained texturing that much yet that i could texture characters great..

But i could make mesh for zombies but i think im better with weapons because i can learn texturing then aswell

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I did replace all the zeros and it still wont work, it should be
right?

I like my sig.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 16:50 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 16:50
OK, works now, I took the values
So I guess ~800*600*32? However, the game starts, everything looks great, but as soon as the text tells me to move with WASD, an errormessage with "string-variable not valid" or so appears and the game ends... Sorry that I'm making so many problems.

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
any other thinks to model? weapons buildings details ???
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, I got it to work, thanks Mr Kohlenstoff .
Its a nice game, but is he supposed to limp in the beginning? Also is the flashlight supposed to be in the corner?

I like my sig.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 21:07
Roxas,
Sorry, at the moment I don't need any more weapons.

Mr Kohlenstoff,
Hmm, that sounds strange again. Haha yea problems are like.. eyes? and uh.. every game have them? :/ (I suck at making up jokes)
I don't really know how to help you here, sorry.
You'll probably have to wait until I'm done with my exam (only tomorrow and Friday left, yay) and then I can start working on "the real game". Which you can try.
Taking into consideration the exam and if I pass or fail ratio, my average programming speed, my awesome sound manipulation abilities and voice acting, the amazing animation and 3D modeling skills that I have, my incredible art design, the frequently practice dates my band takes, the time I hang out with friends uh and etcetera.. it should take four months or more until I release a new demo that I am happy with. So I'm afraid you'll have to wait that long.

Wendox,
* two player hands (for holding weapons, if you make the meshes I can bone and animate them)
* Zombiefied girl child
* when the time comes, level design and modeling (this would be done private as not to release "spoilers" to the public).

fxgamer,
I'm glad you liked the demo (although everything in the demo was placeholders and first try script with no specific bug tracking/fixes).
What do you mean "limb in the beginning"? could you define that so I know what you mean?
and Yea, the flashlight is supposed to be in the bottom right corner of the screen (ask Evolved about that, he wrote the shader, I just implemented it).

I'll get back to my dark place that is called study now.
baba.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "the flashlight is supposed to be in the bottom right corner of the screen (ask Evolved about that, he wrote the shader, I just implemented it)."
You can change the beam if you want to. You just need to use a different cube map for the beam.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
By limp I mean close to the floor(this was throughout the whole demo) And when you move a kind of shaking camera, also the player moving slow.

I like my sig.
Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:05 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 22:06
so what about this

edit:
hmmm i cutted a finger

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:08
Those hands look amazing!!! How many polys are they!?

Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks!

unfortunately 800 each hand. they could have 40% fewer but then i would have to remake the hole texture
Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:37 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 22:38
sry for double post!
i worked a bit and here's the 480 poly version (each hand)

if you like it , you can have both

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:45
Wow, I have to hand it to you, you really know how to handle your models. I don't want to point any fingers, but my only complaint is that the tips of the fingers are too pointy. Other than that, thumbs up!

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:45
Randomness,
Thanks for the tip!
I have tried to edit the cube map for the flashlight but no matter what dds file I save it as it won't load in dbpro.
Do you know what type of dds I need to save in?

fxgamer,
On my computer the player moves at a normal pace, so I wonder if you get a very low frame rate or something?
The camera shaking is a feature to simulate a person walking.
I assume you mean that the camera is close to the floor? I don't know what could be causing that. Sorry.

Wendox,
Totally love 'em! 800 polys isn't too much (I think).
It make sense to me to have high polygon models close to the camera.
Have you been modeling for long? I've been trying since I made the old game Sheep Hunter, and my modeling hasn't improved at all :/

It will be awesome to put normal mapping on the hands and probably some kind of blood effect if you get hit by a zombie (loose life).
it could be a way to display Health, as I don't want to use a graphical interface in the game for displaying ammo/health/etc.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have tried to edit the cube map for the flashlight but no matter what dds file I save it as it won't load in dbpro."

When you save the dds file for the flashlight you need to save it as a cube map. If you want, upload your image here and I'll save it as a cube map for you.

Quote: "On my computer the player moves at a normal pace, so I wonder if you get a very low frame rate or something?"
Maybe you could try using timer based movement, so that it'll move at the same speed no matter what the frame rate is.

Quote: "it could be a way to display Health, as I don't want to use a graphical interface in the game for displaying ammo/health/etc."
That sounds like a great idea!

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 01:52
Sry for the pointless post, but some good looking screen shots. Good luck with it : )

easy comes easy goes
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 03:09
800 poly's is perfect. Since this is first person, the hands and weapons should be detailed, and everything else low-poly.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I get a normal frame rate, because I can move the flashlight and screen normal, just it feels like the player is just taking his sweet time, and the camer shaking is a bit more violent shaking than walking would be.

I like my sig.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 09:55
Randomness,
I see. it totally make sense what you just said. haha.
I installed a dds plugin for photoshop once, I wonder if it have cubemapping export stuff though, I'll have to check that out when I get home again.
Yea, timer based game engine is also one of the reasons why I must re-write it.

fxgamer,
hmm.. Whell, as I said: Everything in that demo is first try coded stuff and placeholder graphics.
I've capped the framerate at 50fps because it is not needed to go at full 60fps in the game, this mean now i have 10fps to work with to improve graphics

Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
thx all, I am modelling since a year, approximately.

do you have other things to model, school started this week and the first tests will come in a few month so i have much time now
Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 14:42 Edited at: 10th Aug 2007 19:19
Here's the final model and texture

edit:
its an image

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 21:40
looks totally awesome
Do you have a place where I can download it?

At the moment there are no more 3d models to make.

Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
so here's the model, two hands,1600 polygons.
if you need a "single" hand then tell me.

Attachments

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 20:32 Edited at: 19th Aug 2007 14:44
What makes the player resort to stealth?

And how Did you do the flashlight?

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 13:01
Lukas W, photoshop + the dds plugin from nvidia can save cubemaps to .dss. I've just spent the last hour trying to figure it out - theres absolutely no help on the internet. You need six images side by side in different layers. The best thing is to open an existing cubemap, use the script called CubeMapShuffler twice (this will put it into layers), and then export it selecting Cubemap in one of the options. Hope that helps,
Oliver
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 05:23
Whoa that is sooooo cool!
Cant wait till its out!

Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
another question:

should I animate your weapons with the hands or do you want to do this on your own?
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 08:35
Those scenes are jaw-dropping..dbp I'm guessing?

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 12:03 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 12:06
Wendox,
Yea it would be awesome if you could animate them. It will save me a lot of time.

Zombie,
Yes it is dbpro. But in my opinion it isn't jaw-dropping :/ I wish to push dbpro to its graphical limits in this game. Both because I have yet to see a game with such graphics in dbpro, and because it will give a good atmosphere to the game.
The game engine/editor(s) will then be released open source (but it is required that you have almost all plugins for dbpro (I'll get in more detail when the time comes).

..and from the previous page
Quote: "What makes the player resort to stealth?

And how Did you do the flashlight?"

The player is able to hide in shadows/hide behind objects, and sneak up to an enemy and kill it.
The game will be built so that it will be harder to fight head on with an enemy, and easier to fight if the enemy doesn't know you are there.
This said, you must be careful not to kick a wooden crate (or anything dynamic of the like) because the enemy will hear this and go to investigate.
If possible, I would also like the eneimes to talk among each other and find two or more routes to the player, so they will surround him.
I have tons of ideas though, but their all in my head. I'd better write a document soon with ideas, before I forget.

edit:
The flashlight is a shader I found on Evolved's website.
It is a shader that will highlight a small amount of the lightmap on the coordinates and angle you provide (for example the camera position and angle).
Sorry, I don't remember a link. But I am sure you can find his shader in this forum.

Quote: "Lukas W, photoshop + the dds plugin from nvidia can save cubemaps to .dss. I've just spent the last hour trying to figure it out - theres absolutely no help on the internet. You need six images side by side in different layers. The best thing is to open an existing cubemap, use the script called CubeMapShuffler twice (this will put it into layers), and then export it selecting Cubemap in one of the options. Hope that helps,
Oliver"

Thanks. This will help me in the future.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 22:32
The Alpha version deosn't work...

It says "runtime error 1507 - display using 32-bit is not supported by available hardware at line 1582"

Footsteps W.I.P

[url=nackpro.se.nu]my website[/url] It's swe!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 23:25 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 23:25
Quote: "runtime error 1507 - display using 32-bit is not supported by available hardware at line 1582"
It seems the main problem is your video card; it sounds like it doesn't support 32-bit colour. An option in the game to use 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit should fix that.

But if it doesn't support 32-bit colour, is it new enough to even support shaders?

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 23:38
I remember having this problem too, you have to change the config file (I can't remember what I put into it).
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 00:16
The new game (which incidentally won't be released until very long) will feautre a .ini configuration file. Where customization will be made easier. For example "Width=640".

But as it is now the configuration file looks like this:
line 1: screen resolution mode
line 2: screen depth mode
line 3: use blur (or was it bloom?)
line 4: use bloom (or was it blur?)

So the commands for these are:
screen resolution mode:
0 = 640x480
1 = 800x600
2 = 1024x768
etc.
8 = 1360x768

screem depth mode:
0 = 16but
1 = 32bit

I hope that made sense.

Initially you can just edit the configuration file to this:

which will make the game run on lowest quality.

Bye.

Ps. I thought the speaker volume controller was the mouse and couldn't figure out why the cursor wasn't moving.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 21:45
Sorry for bothering, but i got it working now by readning the later posts on page 2. Otherwice, nice game!

Footsteps W.I.P

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 21:09
Hello,

I've been working on the physics editor for some time now.
It is still currently in early stages of development, but development is doing fine, so I thought I'd share a picture of the editor-in-progress.

Currently the main point of the editor isn't available (physics editing/building).
I am still working on the Gui for the application.

Some features so far:
- Load a 3d model
- set model texture
- set normalmapping (normal/specular)
- set some game properties (I can't think of much more game properties to add :/ )
- can be used as a 3d model viewer as well (right click on a .x/.3ds/.dbo file and select open with.. and select my application). (or just click and drag).

PS. if anyone know how to avoid the black gadgets (see image) then please tell me! (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=113898&b=18)

Back to dev. now! Bye.

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 00:01
Hey LW - if you still need a zombie type chick, maybe you can use the model im building right now...

if so let me know what you would want animation wise

pic attached as a teaser till it's finished and as always; low poly for use in DBP

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 00:13
aww.. looks scarey I allways afraided from a zombies

anyway,
Yes I am still looking for a zombie chick (young girl zombie).
The "teaser image" looks really awesome.
So yea, if you don't mind I will use the model.

animation wise, It would have to be:

walking - relaxed state with arms hanging (arms are not in use, they are just hanging and dangling)
running - some kind of creepy animation. like you wouldn't expect a person to be able to run in such a pose.
attacking - viciously scratches the players head. (in the game I'd like to have her face visible during this attack.)
standing still - just some simple breathing with her head bowed and looking at her feet.

Think you will be able to accomplish this?
If so that would be totally awesome!

Btw, how are things with popr? Made any new characters?
I always loved your models

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 05:37 Edited at: 8th Sep 2007 05:38
can't remember if bmp images are uploadable/viewable... In any event the face is pretty much done for now, now on to the body and the rest..

if you can see it, i used lighting in max to give it some atmosphere..

edit... err on the bmp... next post i'll put up a crappy jpeg.

Attachments

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 05:39
sorry for hijacking the tread

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 20:38
Looks awesome!

The editor I am working on is coming along nicely (Haven't worked on it since last post though).

It is now possible to Create Physics Bodies and move/scale/rotate them along a 3d model.

Next step will be to polish this up so up until now the application works flawlessly, and also clean up the source and stuff.
After that I will start on joining the bodies together with Joints (that you can manually setup properties for).
Then a save/load function and an import function into the game engine.

The reason why I write this editor is mainly because DP's commands doesn't allow you to "wrap" a physics body around a dynamic entity. So you have to build it up manually limb/body after limb/body.
Also, the editor is capable of setting up normal map shading on an entity, inventory thumbnail, if it is possible to pick up the entity, if it is explodeable, what materials does it use, if it is dynamic or static and some more stuff that I forgot, or aren't that important to mention.

Hope you are as excited as I am to play this game!
A new demo will probably not be out this year though.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 02:34 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 02:36
Hi everyone!

Could you please try out the player module that I am currently working on?
I would like to know what FPS you get, and if you like the way you have to attack.

For example, would you prefer to press a mouse button and there is an attack animation? Or would you like to attack in your own way, by moving the mouse?

The Attack module is not finished yet, I would just like to know if I should continue on it, or just make an attack animation?
So try out the demo and tell me what you think (and what fps you get).

http://www.lukasw.com/other/alone/playertestv0.06.rar ~ 10mb [RAR file format]

Thanks!

edit,
Your computer must be able to run at 1024x768x32 resolution to run the demo.
The Player Module (v0.04) Source Code can be downloaded here [link]

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 02:55 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 03:03
i get this:

edit: i dl'ed the 37.4 mb but not sure i want to install all that. isn't there just a dll that will let it run?

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice, although I kept drifting slowly in random directions most of the time when I wasn't pressing anything. I got a constant 64 fps, everything looked really nice and only thing was you could stand up in the crawl space and it would glitch. About the attacking, I think its too gimmicky to fully move the entire screen to attack, a small quick movement would be better IMO.

Your about to get pwned.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 05:55
Wow, very nice Lukas . Didn't know you had so much done with the engine yet . I did keep moving in a certain direction slowly when I stopped walking though. Also, I think the axe should be less sensitive to moving around when walking, and more sensitive when attacking. I'm also wanting to test out those two types of attacks with PoPR, so I'll be curious to see what people think .

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 10:27
I think moving the mouse in the correct direction will be much more fun than just clicking the mouse button, like in Daggerfall and Penumbra.

Footsteps W.I.P

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 22:01
Hi, thanks for the feedback

Quote: "i get this:"

When running a game from DBPro with Dark Physics, it is required that you have the PhysX drivers installed. In Blitz3D this is not required because there is just a dll that needs to be within the project.
I hope that TGC will have this option too in patch 1.3.

Quote: "I kept drifting slowly in random directions most of the time when I wasn't pressing anything"

I haven't figured out why the player is sliding around, I thought it was something with the player material but it appears to be something else that I don't know of.

Quote: "you could stand up in the crawl space and it would glitch"

I am using Dark Physics Raycast commands to check distance to roof and floor. It appears this command isn't even finished as it gives wrong values.
I will switch to Sparky's Collision DLL for the raycasting later.
At least I know that that plugin works

Quote: "About the attacking, I think its too gimmicky to fully move the entire screen to attack, a small quick movement would be better IMO."

As I said, the attack mode isn't finished. I was just wondering if I should continue working on it or scrap the idea.
But I will keep this in mind.

Quote: "Didn't know you had so much done with the engine yet"

Haha, The player module has only been worked on for two days, and it's nowhere near where I want it to be.

Quote: "I think the axe should be less sensitive to moving around when walking, and more sensitive when attacking"

I will keep this in mind also.

Quote: "I'm also wanting to test out those two types of attacks with PoPR,"

If you want I can send you the source code via Email, seeing as how I kind of still work on popr. BTW I passed the exam, so tell me when (or what to do), and I'll be able to re-join the team

Quote: "I think moving the mouse in the correct direction will be much more fun than just clicking the mouse button, like in Daggerfall and Penumbra."

My inspiration for this game comes from "Thief: The dark project" and "Penumbra Overture". Glad you like the idea as well

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:50:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:50:20