Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Parasite Quarantine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 13:51
Inspire: Yeah, didn't notice that one, fixed it.

I added a melee weapon to the game to add realism. It's pretty low-powered so you'll still have to run from the zombies, but at least there's some defence against them. I used FredP's wooden pole, but I retextured it to use a 1024x1024 rusty metal texture I made...

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 14:16
Really looking like botb quality. I cant really say anything bad about it. Its just great. Good job and keep it up.

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 17:02
Thanks Corky

Started level 14 now, it's a mixed level, starting out with maintenance corridors and pump rooms etc. and ending with an officer's club

Here's a few WIP screens of the maintenance parts. First, a cleaning supply room/closet...

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 17:04
And here's a boiler room...

I'll add images from the officer's club when I get it done...

Attachments

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 17:50
i have a question. first of all, this game is great and really worth paying for and all, but...

i set my ambience to 1 and turned the brightness all the way down AND changed the sky to night, but it's still not that dark. my game NEEDS to be dark or it will look stupid (trust me, i'd no) any advice?

still this is lookin really great and i cant wait to get it. keep it up <---=

when the chicken crosses the road, he never comes back
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:06
Chees hed... First, most likely no-one will have to pay anything for this game
And your problem... What version are you using? I'm using 107 and there ambience 1 is total darkness. If you have older than 106 then try putting it to 0.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 19:01 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 19:04
hmm. i got 107 but it still says 103. ill retry and if that doesnt work ill set it to 0 like you said

Quote: "... most likely no-one will have to pay anything for this game."
ok, but i was just sayin it would be worth it, really nice
<---=

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 19:41
....And here's an image from the officers' club. They have it a bit nicer than the normal soldiers...

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 21:02 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 21:08
Ok, got level 14 pretty much done, except that I'm gonna have to find a balance on the amount of enemies... AI drain is so ridiculous right now it drops the framerate from 32 to 17

I'm also doing some overhauls to the whole gameplay, for better I hope I'm removing the automatinc computer screen popups (story triggers) and replacing them with a script that shows you the screen message when using a computer screen. I'm also reworking some of the sounds, I recorded some ghastly whispers and zombie voices that should make a nice creepy addition to the atmosphere. It's getting pretty sinister plotwise
Edit: Making the story screens use-based also gives me more freedom in adding more text to the game. As a story trigger-based system, it would've been annoying to have text pop up every time you walk near a book or a PDA. When it's use-based, I can add more detail and make things more immersive, like in Thief and Deus Ex...

And please, comment/crit, say something It feels like I'm talking to myself here.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:29
ILL CRIT 4 U. uhh..................................................................................................................................... sorry dude, your game is too perfect for me to think of annything. but that is kinda a good thing because everyone who knows me thinks i complain too much.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:39
I would mess around with illumination maps on your light sources, they look so much better afterwards.

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 11:36
Inspire: You mean the WW2 ceiling lights? Yeah, totally missed that one myself, gotta work on it...

Not for a few days though, I'm really pissed with FPSC right now (AI drain and I'm having trouble with the story scripts) so I'll finish soundwork on the Parasite Q movie and then get back to the game...

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 15:57
Time to revive this one.

I haven't been able to work on the game for two months now. Lots of hurries, had to reformat my HD's, the movie premiered, bla bla bla. Anyway, now I reinstalled everything and got back to the game.
So, I have 14 levels so far, and I've decided to rework the graphics and design of levels 1-3. Today I started with level 1 and thought I'd show you some comparsions of how it's going to change.

So, here's the first comparsion, showing the storage office where the game starts...

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 16:01
And second one, showing the a storage room... this one's mostly about the change of lighting and the object quantities...

Attachments

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 17:54
I remember looking at this thread ages ago! I'm very glad you're still making this game. Don't give up!

I'm extremely impressed with your use of stock media. Everyone loves custom objects these days but the fact is you have made up for your lack of it with absolutely beautiful lighting and atmosphere. Very well done, your skills have certainly improved from when you started building this game all those months ago.

I also love the fact that in one of the later levels you can see the night sky above. I don't know why, I just love games where you catch glimpses of your final goal throughout it. (HL2 citadel)
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Ehetyz, I can truly say you amaze me. I haven't really checked up on this in forever, ( due to crappy computer problems. ) But that is all behind me and well now that my good computer is up... I'm roaring to go! I love the progress you are making. I see this as BOTB material. I am going to email you with an offer you cant refuse. I myself am a big sci-fi head and I may have something you'll love to hear.

Astek

"YOUR FRUIT KILLING SKILLS ARE REMARKABLE!"- Gaz
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 22:30
Thanks for the comments!

Butt Monkey:
The showing-glimpses of the final goal-thing... Yeah, I love it too. Gives you a feeling of "so close yet so far"

ASTEK:
Thanks I'll be interested to see what you have in mind...

Here's one final comparsion screen for today... I'll try to get level 1 finished tomorrow, wish me luck, lol

Attachments

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 22:54
The new pictures are amazing! I really like the comparions. Great job on the new level design.

[url=http://gunn3rgames.zxq.net]
[/url]
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Be sure to check that out as soon as possible!

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2008 17:51 Edited at: 4th Feb 2008 17:53
Ok, I'm back again with another level1 comparison. Here you can see how a crappy storage room filled with stock ww2 crap gets turned into a tech room...
The lighting on the door in the new pics is messed, but that's a thing I've already fixed. I just don't want to spend 20mins rendering the level for new shots

The old version had about 60 objects in it. This new one has less than 20. So it's all a plus performance-wise.

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2008 20:40
Here's one more comparison, the break room, which is quite a bit different now...
And pls people, comment/crit something. I hate it when it feels like I'm talking alone here.

Attachments

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2008 23:11
Wow looks really great. the screens a amazing; great lighting, light sorces, and the rooms have great atmuse freare! Im deffinatly looking forword to this one. Ill be cheaking up on progress

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
They looks very nice Ehetyz! Good work!

Astek

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 20:16
Finished level 1 today, and I'm starting level 2 now. Looking at the layout of it, I... damn. It's going to be painful. It's a ridiculously big level, ugly as hell, and more complex than a female's mind. This is gonna take long...

Here's last few shots of level 1, not comparsions, just a row of shots. The first levels are pretty big, so there's a lot of variation, as this row shows, I think.

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 21:48
I thought I'd show you a few shots of level 2 before calling it a night.
First, here's a comparison, you can see the layout is pretty similar, but the segments and lighting has gotten a complete overhaul, and I think that makes the game look a lot more modern (making it look like a 2004 game instead of a 2001 game, lol)

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 21:50 Edited at: 5th Feb 2008 21:51
And here's the starting point of level 2. A barricade the soldiers used to defend themselves against the parasites, without much success it seems. There's light only inside the barricade. On the other side it's dark. And as the zombies are walking, you can hear their footsteps. In the dark.
Now, will you dare to go over the barricade?

...And again, comment/crit/evaluate, anything.

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice work! The updates are very nice! But the green aura really set the game as your own in the original levels though.

Astek

-Astek Games Developer-
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 17:50 Edited at: 7th Feb 2008 22:12
Yeah the bright greens were somewhat of a signature thing, but in the end it's just not worth it, when I can make it a look a lot better by using more subtle lighting...
This level 2 thing is going to take several days I'll post screenshots when I've made some concrete progress...

Edit: Damn, that jpeg sig looks awful Gotta redo it.
Edit2: And now it's f-ing huge. Great.

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 19:49
Ok, I finally got some sense to the second level, and it's time to dump some comparison shots again!

Here's one from a storage room, and more coming soon...

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 20:14
ur trying to make us less light map experianced users feel bad arent you?

in the immortal words of cheeshead you are a forum ruiner guy!
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 20:40
And here's another one. The level 2 is shaping up better than I expected. I first had some lagg problems with the vent shafts, but wrapping the vent shaft with proper wall segments fixed that.

So, here's one more comparison for today, I hope you have something to say so it's not just me dumping images here...

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 22:15

bobert; I wouldn't say I have any more experience than most of the people on these forums, after all, Parasite Q is only my second game, and my only other game making experience is restricted to just some 2d-gore-shooter games made with Games Factory.
I think the difference is that I'm a (low budget) movie maker first, and I the approach I take to the levels is the same I have when making movies, i.e. how to make the set look believable? There are differences, in a movie I'm usually limited to a certain amount of lights and the look of the set is limited to whatever location we have and to my very limited carpenter skills On the plus-side, when making a movie, you can hide the hindrances of the set with some effective camera work.
In FPSC I can't hide anything with a "camera", so it's like making 3-d sets, but with unlimited tools and unlimited amount and variety of lights. So I'm taking inspiration from both real world and the sets I see in movies/tv-series, and as a way of hiding the "bad parts", for which I would use the camera in movies, I use darkness. It adds atmosphere and makes the levels look more object-rich when the player doesn't get to see the empty walls/corners etc.

Whoa, what a rant. Lol maybe I could write a tutorial or something about cinematic lightmapping someday, if someone wants me to.
So, uh, here's a few more images for today, and then I'm gonna go get some sleep
So, here we have a tech room, then a corridor that made me think of Alien, and then last... Well, I think I'm going to rival Deus ex in one thing, and that is the amount of toilets per level! So, a shot of a toilet.

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 13:00
ok, well it still looks amazing.

in the immortal words of cheeshead you are a forum ruiner guy!
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 22:20
Thanks

I just finished the level geometry for level 2, now all it needs is the sound triggers and weapons. So tomorrow I'll get to work on level 3

Here's one more comparison from level 2.

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 23:15 Edited at: 7th Feb 2008 23:16
Ok, before hitting the bunk, here's one more row of images from level 2. The feel of the level is just awesome. There's not too many zombies, but the ones that are lurking around, are constantly hunting you, so you're never safe. And it's a huge level, and there's lots of stuff to explore... If you dare to.

So, the row of images. First one, a dark office, second, the medical quarters reception, and last, a barracks room... and someone's made a mess there...

And again, some feedback would be nice...

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 23:29 Edited at: 7th Feb 2008 23:43
Don't go to bed just yet if that's what you mean. I got something for you!!!

Astek

CHECK YOUR INBOX!

-Astek Games Developer-
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 18:59
I'm back again, whether you want it or not...
So, I spent the last two days just tweaking level 2, and got it to beta stage... Today I got to work on level 3, and it's going pretty smooth. Hopefully I can get to do some completely new levels within a few days

And then, a screenshot from level 3... In Parasite Quarantine, not even the cleaning crew is safe!

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 20:53
Here's two images of a stairway in level 3, showing that it's not all just green and grey, but there's also... brown? Lol. It looks a bit Doom3ish to me, because of the brown-black color palette...

I'll post some then/now comparisons soon...
And, uh, some feedback would be nice.

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Reminds me a lot of Doom 3... and I love that game.
Also... I got the entities and video. I'm going to get
audio right now. I want you to email me your specs you use
for the ambiance lighting, fog, and such. Thanks a lot!

Astek

*Also... use some new media and show them some more updates.

-Astek Games Developer-
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 21:14
*use some new media and show them some more updates.

Yeah alright, didn't think of that... The first levels don't have much weapons so I haven't thought of taking images with MP9/10 guns or stuff like that. But I'll grab a few... Next I'll send a few comparisons though

-Astek Games Developer-
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Just be sure to email the specs you use for ambiance and such.
I can't test it with the right lighting if I don't know it.

Also, what version are you currently using.
**By the way... loved the "email with video" in the game!**

Astek

-Astek Games Developer-
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 21:37
Astek, I sent you the info stuff you asked
The email video thingie is the trailer of my first full-lenght movie, TNT:Merchants of death... There's nothing like a little self-advertisement

Here's the comparison images I talked about, it's the under-construction-room from level 3, which just got a bit of an overhaul.
The plank on the table is not right in the images, I fixed that but the level test render times are so terrible that I decided to send it like this.

And feeeedbaaaack please

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

redeyes
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks really good,can't wait for it to be finished
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Please check your email Ehetyz.

Astek

-Astek Games Developer-
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 15:25
Looking good.. Detail is great, lighting is great, entity placement is great umm... Everything is great

http://koti.mbnet.fi/teora/intersoft/
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow... you just disappeared, huh Ehetyz?

AStek

Make the move to indiegamedev.net today! We're the fairest around!
some kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 05:45
soooo.... what will we be shoting? I see no badys. where are the badys? (bad guys)

"there is no arguing with the barrel of a gun"
proverb
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 05:47 Edited at: 16th Feb 2008 05:53
UPDATE:

As Eheytz associate I'm here to update the progress and
to tell you guys that he will be gone for the rest of the week
and hopefully returning soon. He has various things to do in
association with his film. Updates will continue normally soon.

Astek

Make the move to indiegamedev.net today! We're the fairest around!
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 12:49
Yeah, hi guys,
I was away for a while, we had more screenings of the Parasite Quarantine film so I just haven't had time to work on the game at all. Now I'm back though, and I'll keep updating normally. I'll probably be able to finish level 3 today, and then it's time to start working on some all-new levels.
I'll also put up a thread to indiegamedev.net, as the TGC forums seem to be in a turmoil.

Juzi: Thanks

some kid: It's a zombie horror game, so the bad guys are zombies. But it's not a shooter, you won't just walk around shooting enemies... That'll just get you killed

-Astek Games Developer-
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 16:45
Ok, did some progress on level 3.

Here's one comparison pic, of an maintenance tunnel... It has turned a bit filthier...

-Astek Games Developer-

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 03:04:55
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 03:04:55