Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 10:07 Edited at: 27th May 2017 10:27
Nice start to the ol' Painkiller. I'm still waiting for your vocals.

Also, I picked up a phone mount for my motorbike, sadly the handle bar space is kinda lacking, so it tilts the phone at an angle and prevents decent recording. But I decided to record something anyway, A) To actually see how decent my phone's camera is B) How viable the set up is for recording and C) to see how stable this mount is.

My phone is the Sony Xperia XZ, I think it came out as a decent quality if you ignore the shaky image in places. But I just recorded and put together pieces of my journey from work to home & stopping by the shop on the way. Also, the mic is *really* sensitive on it, you can hear my footsteps, the fuel in the fuel tank and the leaves brushing against my bike as I sneakily take my bike over a path to get past a barrier (my choices in my commute are to do that, or go via one of the UK's most accident prone roundabouts that's full of lorry drivers)

If I can get my phone into a sensible place, I might record a couple of riding adventures in the British countryside.

Also, the mount worked out to be quite decent, both suited for motorcycles and bicycles. This is the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartphone-Universal-Handlebar-Compatible-Motorbikes/dp/B01N4X0HUS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1495832466&sr=8-19-spons&keywords=motorcycle+phone+holder&psc=1

Page.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 27th May 2017 14:17
Quote: "Nice start to the ol' Painkiller. I'm still waiting for your vocals. "

Thanks, Sepp! Lol, you don't want to do that, Sir...oooh no...hahahaaa!

You forgot D) To see yourself while you drive and E) To show us your driving skills and the nice looking environment .

Btw, I forgot you guys are driving left, right? Looks soo weird, lol!
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 15:16
Nice ride there, Sepp! It sure has a lot more power than my little bike, lol. I am discovering though, I think I may be developing a love for motorbikes... Such lovely and fun machines they are!

Leaving for my camping trip in half an hour, I'll try and rig up my phone and record some of my own rides up there.
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 18:20 Edited at: 27th May 2017 18:21
I did another one today. I might invest in a helmet cam, because this isn't suitable. But I decided to just go out as the weather was nice and see where it took me. Sadly my phone stopped recording 10 minutes in and I didn't realise until I stopped for a moment on my way home.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip and that the bike proves useful. Soon you'll be getting your own full on motorcycle. I am going to check out a dealership on Monday to look at potentials for what I upgrade to when I pass my full test, so I can get something more powerful than a 125 as you can see, they don't have much power to them, though the vids were meant as a relaxing ride, I am still making it work hard to push it past 60mph, which won't do, should I ever end up doing motorway riding or getting onto dual carriageways and not taking the winding backroads like I am at the moment (which are nice and pleasant, in fairness).
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 28th May 2017 07:54
100 chickens are sitting in a circle in the barn. At the same time, all 100 of them peck the chicken either to their left or right, completely at random.
What is the expected number of chickens that didn't get pecked at all?

Make sure you hide your answers/question in code blocks kids

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 28th May 2017 15:21
I very much want to get this monitor:
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/04/acer-predator-x27-price-specs-release-date/

I wish they'd announce more info on it though. I also looked at the ultra-wide monitor they have but I'd prefer to have a standard 16:9 monitor to avoid issues with ultra-wide resolutions.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 16:44 Edited at: 28th May 2017 16:51
With regards to the ultra-wides, I have an LG 34UM95, which is a 1440p Ultrawide, but is the one that came out before they started looking at gamer options on them. And it's a gorgeous monitor and I've not looked back on my purchase (even though it was expensive at the time).

A few points, if it helps.

For programming, it's simply amazing to have. You wouldn't believe how much extra space it gives you, with the mix of the extra horizontal space and the resolution. I don't often need to alt+tab, because I can have everything I need open and side by side. In an old desktop thread, I linked my Ruby on Rails workspace.

http://i.imgur.com/snTH7tX.png

Granted, I might have been a little over the top on purpose, but I was able to work fine with everything like that in the screenshot and shows how much extra space I get away with.

For movies & TV. Not long ago, I set up my room to allow me to use my PC for comfortably watching movies, as well as gaming and being productive. The IPS display is great for colour and viewing angles and being ultrawide and given some of the monitor's options/features, I can remove the black bars from films that were shot for cinema screen, as the aspect ratio is very similar. Watching something like The Hobbit (which is one of the first things I did when I got a BluRay player for my PC) it looked simply amazing. It also means 4k video is a viable option as well, whilst not getting the full benefit, it still looks damn sharp, and gorgeous. Though in terms of looking at using an ultrawide 1440p monitor for 4k, the best advice is to find something that'll handle the copy protection being used nowadays (HDCP 2.2) because 4k content is incredibly restrictive and therefore incredibly fussy on what hardware it will play on...even if they hardware is technically capable. Sadly, my monitor is not one of those monitors (nor is my CPU or graphics card), which is one of my main gripes about 4k. It's one of those cases I'd argue that in trying to combat piracy, they're giving a reason for people to want to pirate (but being the lawful upstanding citizen I am, I have gone without and contemplate a 4k TV at some later stage in life).

The downside, however, particularly to a display like mine, which is an IPS panel (which Ultra-wides often are) is that the black levels aren't so deep and being a LED panel, it can be more susceptible to lightbleed and being a monitor, lacks some of the features many TV's use to combat it (like dynamic backlighting). Lightbleed should only be noticeable in low-light settings, which you tend to be when watching a movie. To be fair, you'll probably get this with the majority of monitors out there, though some better than others.

For gaming. This is where ultrawide can be a problem. Fortunately a good number of games will work with the aspect ratio properly and not cause problems. The vast majority will accept the resolution, though not all work appropriately with it, either adding their own black bars, using black bars just for cutscenes or even messing up the UI. Most games that have caused problems I have found will have a work around or can be tweaked or a patch, I had to tweak The Witcher 3 to not mess with the UI, but Metal Gear Solid 5 required me to get a patch to remove those black bars. Playing Final Fantasy XIV, it works perfectly, but I get black bars during cutscenes, to retain how the cutscenes were intended. In some games, as you can imagine there's an advantage to the extra space, more visibility in strategy games, for example, or in the case of FFXIV, being an MMO, I get to see more of what's around me and coming in. As you'll see from this video (warning: partial nudity) I see more of the battlefield. That lag at the start, ignore that, I don't find the resolution causes me to lag out, I was running something in the background affecting the performance of my PC.

It'll mean a smaller number of your games will end up being ran at 16:9 instead of 21:9, which I have found not to bother me too much, especially as I hook this up to my PS4 sometimes, despite lack of 21:9 support. But always prefer 21:9 over it.

The other thing to consider is that it takes more juice to run in 21:9 than it does 16:9, which is a given.

For Other Things Some internet sites look tiny, but you can always zoom in. Though for me, this bit can affect me when I'm careless trying to do web development. I design something that looks reasonable on my PC, as I am doing it on my PC, then look at it from another device I kind go "oh, that's big, I kinda overshot that a bit". More of a me not paying attention than an actual flaw.

[edit]

New Alestrom track? Love it, and I'd link it, but I'd be heavily breaking the AUP and not just because promoting piracy is forbidden.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 19:41
Quote: "because I can have everything I need open and side by side."

That really isn't an issue for me as I'm already using two 4K (samsung) monitors. What does intrigue me for the ultra-wide is that I've heard the extra viewing angles in games can be really nice. For the IPS I've never used an IPS monitor, but I have heard that it's a bit lacking in the colour quality. I wish that I could see one, as the LED/LCD display in the monitors that I have right now looks amazing for colour quality. What I do wish I had though that the Acer monitors have is g-sync and higher refresh rates. I'm quite sick of using V-sync since most games tear without it, but with it framerates take a huge hit. I'm quite willing to wait for the x27 since it has a 144hz refresh rate with g-sync and uses LED backlighting, but I'm also kind of terrified of what they'll announce the price as (since their most recent gaming laptop is £9000)

Quote: "New Alestrom track? Love it, and I'd link it, but I'd be heavily breaking the AUP and not just because promoting piracy is forbidden."

Wasn't the whole album released on Friday?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 11:42
@easter bunny

Ah yes, a classic simple integral, one which you will never ever find in real world applications.

"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 11:49
Quote: "one which you will never ever find in real world applications"

Sadly

Also, points

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 20:57
Looks like Destruction are going to put out a new album: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/destruction?referrer=project15786
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 12:45
The pain is real

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 14:00
Quote: "Looks like Destruction are going to put out a new album: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/destruction?referrer=project15786"

Cool! And Rob Halford confirmed that they're at the final stage of their upcoming new album! Good times are coming \m/!

Quote: "The pain is real "

Nononono...The Threat Is Real!

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 14:18
Quote: "Nononono...The Threat Is Real! "

So I was listening to a Greig Piano Concerto on Spotify when I opened this thread. I Spotify and started playing that video, then switched to Facebook and promptly forgot about it. Next minute I was thinking "Wow this piano concerto is really weird, that almost sounds like electric guitars"

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 21:01
I once listed to NOFX playing over Brian Eno. That was weird.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 21:17 Edited at: 1st Jun 2017 22:06
Quote: "Looks like Destruction are going to put out a new album: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/destruction?referrer=project15786"

Cool, might need to check it out.

And my sister got me Savatage's Wacken album for my birthday, so I am currently rocking out to Hall of the Mountain King, no complaints.

Also, I think I have a good idea now on what I'd like to get as my next bike when I pass my test. The Kawasaki Vulcan S is contending real high, has everything I want in a bike and all I need to do is pass my test, test ride it and then decide if I want it. I went to the dealership on Monday and got a good look at one. Clicky. But...if I had the money, an Indian Scout Sixty would be real nice. Tempted to go to their dealership at the weekend and see what finance they can do and whether they'd let me test ride when I pass my test and see if I could justify it. But look at her, she's so beautiful
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 09:17 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2017 09:21
Quote: "Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip and that the bike proves useful."
The trip was really fun! The bike works, but sadly not super well. It runs really reliably, but its power output is just really low. It can take me up hills, but only if I pedal. And then, because the bike (even though it was sold as an 'extreme terrain' bike back in the late 90s) has no suspension, I could only ride it on the dirt roads. These were all a good couple hundred feet from the camp spot, so it took a lot of effort to get the bike from the camp spot to a place where I could ride it.

Oh and then one time it scared me pretty badly. I was on a relatively level straightaway, so I decided to open it up. Around 15 or so mph (it should be good up to 35 or so, granted I don't care about speed as much as I do hill climbing power), the vibration went from intense to absolutely mad. I was initially afraid that the wrist pin let go or something, but the engine ran fine again when I let it slow down. Turns out, some of the mounting bolts (which didn't come with lock washers) had come loose and the entire engine was vibrating loose. And of course, as luck would have it, I was at that moment farther from the campsite than I had ever ridden. Thankfully I was able to limp it along gently to help me get back, and then the repair was basic.

Quote: "Soon you'll be getting your own full on motorcycle."
Haha, quite possibly so. I think I'm getting into building them... I've been seriously considering, as one of my next big projects, using one of these engines to power a mountain bike with real suspension. The engine is 212cc and 6.5 horsepower, is of supposedly decent quality for the price, and can be bought for less than 100 American pesos with the right coupon. Right on! And then I want to (maybe getting a bit ambitious here) design and create my own transmission from various stock parts, to get the most out of the engine. I want to include a grunt gear that will allow the bike to take a 300 pound person up a 45 degree slope. I'll never have a hill climbing issue again! I currently weigh 230 or so... If I get down to my ideal weight of 180 or so, I could zoom right along!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 14:32
There was a man working at a remote post office in outback Australia and he died because he had no money to buy food.
The reason?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 01:52
Quote: "
HAHA wow that was really funny.
"
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 02:59
wHO ARE YOU QUOTING?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 04:48
Quote: "
I AM QUOTING MY SELFs11!!!!1111!!!!!
"
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 12:28
Anybody seen The Game (1997)? Fantastic movie. One and a half hours of being bored outta my skin, watching this really creepy strange psychological movie. At the very end it all makes sense and when the credits roll you think "wow that was actually incredible"

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 20:36
You misspelled psychological
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 20:45
You misspelled misspelt.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 02:47
You misspelt misspelled when you spelled it like misspelled to show me that I had spelled it wrong by spelling it misspelled!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 04:38 Edited at: 7th Jun 2017 04:39
Quote: "You misspelled psychological"

I spended too long trying to figure out how

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 11:11
Quote: "You misspelt misspelled when you spelled it like misspelled to show me that I had spelled it wrong by spelling it misspelled!"

Funny, I have a Ptera in ARK called Muspell. Or rather I used to, he ended up getting a reputation for going missing. Like, one time I died and I didn't find him again until a week and a half later...still alive. Then my friend got him killed and from there on any Pteras I named "Muspell" went missing, but when I started naming them "Not Muspell" they didn't. Nowadays I have a Wyvern that shoots electricity and a Mosasaurus that shoots lasers...I am not kidding, they added armour to the game that can shoot lasers.

But I'd never misspell Muspell.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 11:15 Edited at: 7th Jun 2017 11:17
You're supposed to spell it sigh-co-lodge-uh-coal!

Ahhhh dang it Facebook!!! WHY would any of their developers think it's a good idea to automatically set all video players to maximum volume???? Youtube actually remembers where you set the volume on previous videos. Fancy technology, amirite? At the very least, they could have the player default to something more reasonable and less ear shattering, like medium volume.
/inexcusably crappily incompetently designed software rant

It appears I get a little overly passionate about bad software design, lol.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 13:16 Edited at: 7th Jun 2017 13:18
Guys let's play a game. Here are the rules:
1. The first person has to name two seed words, they can be anything in the english language.
2. The second person has to think of a word that somehow connects those two words in any abstract way you can imagine. There is no limit to your creativity!
3. Then the second person takes their connector word and think of a different random word in the english language and uses those two as the seed words
4. Repeat forever and ever!

NOTE: The most important rule is that the words are defined phonetically. As in if I say "Pear", meaning fruit, you can choose to interpret that as "pair", meaning two.

Example:
Starting words: Sky, Battle
Possible connector words: 'Aeroplane', 'Fall', 'Star Wars'
Next Words: Aeroplane, [anything else you can dream up]

I'll start:
Computer, Rain

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2017 14:38
Not sure if I understood it all correctly, but i'll give it a go . Here are my two words:

Points, Fun.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2017 20:49
As I've been looking quite heavily at bikes I might wanna go for when I pass my test I ended up approaching things like Harleys with an open mind. I've narrowed my choices down to three bikes I wanna check out properly, one of them is a Harley. Then this week I've been weighing up pricing and insurance and the Harley also worked out the most economical, with finance at £110 a month on a £500 deposit and a £706 per annum on the insurance. Followed by the Kawasaki Vulcan S's £160 a month, £100 deposit and £724 per annum on insurance...then the most expensive being the Indian Scout Sixty's £160 to £190 a month (depending on finance option), £500 deposit and a whopping £1,371 per annum to insure. *sobs* Going for a Harley may result in mockery from peers, but it's more powerful than the Kawasaki, easier on the paycheck and has a whole modding community (and aftermarket parts to go with) to go with it and the option to upgrade the engine from a 883cc engine to a 1200cc one with genuine Harley parts, for when I am more confident on it and is supposed to be a good bike to learn your mechanics on, given the wealth of information and parts out there and how Harley's designed them for people to work on (given they favour the idea of people customising their bikes).

So, unless I can get that Scout on much cheaper insurance, a Harley is looking like a possibility. Plus, the Iron 883 is actually a tasteful bike.

Quote: "Points, Fun."

Competition, a priori
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2017 21:42 Edited at: 8th Jun 2017 21:43
Quote: "The Game"

Great, now I lost the game.

Quote: "Points"

I was going to claim those points, but the forums wouldn't load any threads yesterday.

Quote: "Plus, the Iron 883 is actually a tasteful bike."

I'm not a fan of Harleys but that is a nice looking bike.

Quote: "Competition, a priori"

quite, interesting
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 01:13 Edited at: 9th Jun 2017 01:15
Fry, parallelogram

Quote: "I'm not a fan of Harleys but that is a nice looking bike."

The Sportster Iron 883 and Sportster Superlow 883 are the only 2 Harleys I'd consider...well, maybe if the Superlow had less chrome. I didn't think I'd ever be tempted, especially as most of them are ugly IMO. I'm gonna check out the Harley dealership when I next get a chance and see if I like it in person and when the time comes, see if I can test ride one, to see if I like it. The fight seems to pretty much be between the Kawasaki and Harley and the Harley actually seems like the smarter choice. Just...which one I like to ride better too.

So I have ended up with an open mind about them. Especially given my attitude at the start was "noooo way, not a Harley", but after figuring out what I want...Harley ended up on the list.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 05:00
Quote: "I was going to claim those points, but the forums wouldn't load any threads yesterday."

And I was going to claim the points you were trying to claim, which I claimed today because the forums didn't load any threads yesterday.

Quote: "Fry, parallelogram"

Hot, Pentagram.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 09:02
Hot+Pentagram=Evil

Evil, Snow

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 19:16
Evil + Snow = Snowy Shaw

Shaw, Intangible
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 03:35 Edited at: 10th Jun 2017 03:39
Quote: "Plus, the Iron 883 is actually a tasteful bike."
Nice! As stated by others, I've certainly never been a fan of Harley bikes (or the people that ride them lol) but that one does look pretty nice. Especially here in America! I don't know what the Harley crowd is like over in Europe, but here, it's full of some pretty heavily stereotypical American fellas. Big and burly, often long hair, heavy drinkers and smokers, not particularly kind or pleasant, and generally extremely conservative (not that that's either a good or bad thing, I tend conservative myself). And loud pft! Of course, as with all generalizations, not every Harley rider here in 'Merica is that way. But it seems like a lot of them are.

Me no comprehend word game
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 05:36
Quote: "Me no comprehend word game"

That's too many words

Shaw+Intangible=Music

Music, Aliens

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 05:52
Quote: "That's too many words"

Game Incomprehensible
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 07:29
Quote: "Game Incomprehensible"

Literally you just choose a word that somehow connects the two previous words in some abstract way. There are no rules as to how they must be connected. As long as you can rationalise it, anything goes. The only limit is your imagination!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 07:30
Explanation comprehensible
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 11:32 Edited at: 10th Jun 2017 11:34
Quote: "So I have ended up with an open mind about them. Especially given my attitude at the start was "noooo way, not a Harley", but after figuring out what I want...Harley ended up on the list"

For a final bike I'd never go with a Harley, but for what you're looking for right now that bike totally makes sense.

Quote: "Music, Aliens"

strapping, lad
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 13:25
Quote: "strapping, lad"

Strong, Anvil
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 15:34
Strong+Anvil=THOR!

Thor, Google

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 17:58
I was wondering how thor and google related and then I re-read the rules and realised that the two words don't need to have a connection... Well, it's too late to stop connecting my two words.
case, neko
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2017 05:21
neko, case
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2017 08:00
Let's get this out onto a tray.

... Nice !
2002 - Present
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2017 08:08
Schroedinger (a case is a type of box, you can put a cat in there)

Schroedinger, Oscillation

Also, call me a fanboy, but this is coming out soon.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 15:35
Quote: "Welpppppppppppp [href=http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3^(1%2F9)&foo=bar] 3^(1/9) [/href] that explains a lot lol. Stupid mistake by me. I was never a fan of the order of operations (it makes far more sense to my programmer mind to place whatever you want to calculate first in brackets). I never ever rely on the order of operations in my code, so I guess it just isn't something I really think about hence my rookie mistake above lol."

lolol at least that helped you haha

Quote: "I got to sit on my new motorcycle today. And sorted out all of the paperwork I needed with Honda. If I succeed on my CBT, I'll be able to ride from next Friday, when I get my bike delivered. I can't wait now."

Damn, I am jealous. Can't wait until I have enough money for a motorbike. Unfortunately I'm currently spending $145/week on paying the loan for my Audi off so it might have to wait

Quote: "Also, in my travels I came across this video (Parental Warning: Steel Panther). The kid asked to play guitar on stage, they do their in character banter and then let him play. Gonna say kudos to the kid for daring to do it and pulling it off and Steel Panther for letting a fan take over playing one of their songs."

lol that was pretty awsome, I'm definitely not into metal but I am thoroughly enjoying learning the electric guitar and that dude had some serious skill, especially to be able to get up on stage and just play someone else's song like that

Quote: "But I cannot ride it yet, I didn't complete my CBT in one go, but returning tomorrow, to hopefully finish it. The only thing I need to work on is clutch control, brake control and gaining more confidence at higher speeds (which comes with the first two). I was getting it right 2 out of 3 times, but everything else I was fine for. I think I got too used to bicycles with weak levers and have never used a motorcycle or moped or any kind of vehicle, so I was just at times struggling to keep within the 'sweet' spot on the clutch and brake. I was riding a Suzuki, but the gear and neutral lights were faulty (and I think he had me use this bike on purpose to not get me to rely on them or take them for granted and he showed me how to compensate), which was a pain, as it was gear 2's light that didn't show, so with the neutral light not working, it wasn't always obvious whether I was in neutral or second gear lol."

I've only ever ridden dirt bikes, which usually have no neutral light. You just get a feel for it, and it's easy to check by gently letting out the clutch. I can't wait until I can get a bike, I'm certain I'll pass the practical test first go simply because of how confident I am on a bike

Quote: "The ping sits at around 4-7ms which is great. But it periodically spikes to 100-200ms (sometimes as high as 400, approximately every 5 seconds). Anybody have an explanation for this? I have no idea what would be causing it. If it was torrenting or streaming on my network, I'd be expecting a consistent 40ms or something. The low ping and periodic spikes doesn't make sense"

Get Networx. It has a free trial period and it great for finding network usage since you can install it on all computers on a network and have them sync so you can see from your computer which computer is using all the data.

Quote: "it only cost me £8 to fill it up"

I spent at least $70/week on fuel in my Audi. Admittedly I only put the expensive premium 98 in it, and I do 600km/week commuting, but yeah nothing can compare to the fuel efficiency of a motorbike!

Quote: "the derailleur (whoa, I just spelled that right without spellcheck for the first time in my life)"

Impressive! I always have to look it up to be absolutely certain I get it right.

Quote: "I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you probably won't get it..."

There's no smiley that accurately depicts my face right now.

DAMN I wanted that 50,000 post! Lucky lucky seppeku... I even had a plan to make a program that checked the post count every so often and emailed me when it was close... but I'm lazy, you know?

Quote: "the elevation is about 9,000 feet, or very roughly 3,000 meters. Very high!"

High indeed! We're only at 1040m above sea level.

Quote: "But I just recorded and put together pieces of my journey from work to home & stopping by the shop on the way."

I want to see some videos where the view is pointing forwards, that'd be great! Otherwise it makes me more jealous of you having a nice bike like that. Also the Aldi is very familiar, looks completely identical to Aldis we have in Australia.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2017 14:21
Quote: "Schroedinger, Oscillation"

Pendulum, Points

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:18:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:18:29