Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2017 07:50 Edited at: 6th Jan 2017 07:51
Fandandy!

I'm absolutely amazed. The "cheap" Chinese knockoff 3D printer I bought for only 150 USD a month back is amazing. I've printed for over 8 hours now, probably a dozen or so prints, and the only failed print so far occurred when I tried to remove a piece of the printer while it was running...

So if anyone here is interested in getting into 3D printing for super cheap, and is willing to go through the headache of getting the thing shipped, and is willing to spend a good 12 to 15 hours putting the thing together, it's called the Anet A8. Search for it on Google, I got mine from a site called Gearbest. Granted I doubt it's still selling that cheap, as I got it on a Black Friday promotion.

Gee, this sounds like an ad or something. Oh well, I guess I'm just really impressed! Oh and, I think I'm forever hooked on 3D printing. The mere notion of being able to go from the conception of a physical object to holding one in your hand, at home, over a matter of hours, is incredible.

Oh page! This is the first page since, what, October?
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2017 15:18
Quote: "Already 123 followers on Twitter for my game 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia'! Ooooh yeah! \m/"

Updates or it didn't happen
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 6th Jan 2017 16:41
Quote: "Gee, this sounds like an ad or something. Oh well, I guess I'm just really impressed! Oh and, I think I'm forever hooked on 3D printing. The mere notion of being able to go from the conception of a physical object to holding one in your hand, at home, over a matter of hours, is incredible."

Yeah...who are you working for, mate ? Nah, but it does sound cool! I wonder...what's the largest object you can print out with it?

Quote: "Oh page! This is the first page since, what, October?"

Them pages used to fly by, eh?

Quote: "Updates or it didn't happen "

Hahahaaa! You have a point there, Ortu! Hmm...I should update more often, but it's soo much fun when there's progress, that I forget about (or have less time for) updating !
But I will update soon though!
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2017 11:38 Edited at: 15th Jan 2017 11:41
I was going to make a post in a thread as I normally would, but instead, I thought I would present it as click bait. Because I figure selling my soul would be appropriate.

This is the most metal flight ever! I hope Bruce Dickinson was flying the thing!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/skyway-to-hell?bffbuk&utm_term=.pvjwo6njj1#.shPRy13vvD

[edit]
I was going to try something like "Local Mum Finds Unusual Trick" or "Doctors and pharmaceuticals companies hate him."

Maybe, "Pharmaceutical companies hate him. Because they are especially judgemental about his life choices and feels he should come home once in a while and have dinner with his family." I don't know.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 15:48
Wow, the Posting Competition has really been dead lately. Last post was me and nearly 15 days ago.

So what are you scallywags here up to?

I discover a pretty groovy IDE a couple of weeks ago, called Cloud9, would be interesting to see if AppGameKit could be set up with it, I know TGC tried a browser-based IDE for it before. Given it supports C++, I would be interested to see if I could get Tier II set up on it. Not sure how extensive it is for doing C++ on there.

I have also been trying out Angular JS this weekend. An interesting framework, I know I am a big lover of JQuery too (and apparently Angular and JQuery work really well together, but not tried yet), but I like that it means HTML feels dynamic, rather than static. Whilst you can get a similar effect when coding on the backend with things like Rails, PHP and ASP.NET, as you can share variables between pages and update them, but in Angular, you only need to load the page once and everything happens in the page and it only takes from the server what's necessary (like data from a database). It feels similar to working something like Rails or ASP.NET, but possibly because it seems to favour the MVC approach to coding.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 18:59 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 19:13
Quote: "I know I am a big lover of JQuery too (and apparently Angular and JQuery work really well together, but not tried yet), "

It uses a very minimal barebones version of jquery internally, and while you can load and use full jquery alongside it, you really shouldn't in most cases. As you dig into angular you will see the phrase 'the angular way' often. It is a fairly opinionated framework, and wants you to do things the way it wants you to do them. Anytime you feel the need to use selectors and reach in to change the DOM with jquery, there is usually a better approach 'the angular way' using directives.

The main difference being jquery selector is based out of the controller it goes out and looks for elements and and then does things with them. You won't necessarily know how an element will be used when coming across it in the view without digging through the controller to see what is going to access it.

In angular with directives and event handlers, the element itself defines which handlers and events it is affected by, sending itself to them as needed, meaning there is no need for jquery to search for and select it.

Angular is very view driven, and as you mention, it pushes most of the application to the front end, even routing and navigation of virtual pages, alleviating much of the load off the server. It is definitely MVC, changes in the model automatically update the view, and can two way bind so that user input can automatically updated the model. It's also highly modular.

I'm a big fan of it, though to be honest, it's time has already sort of peaked and people are moving on to newer frameworks, React in particular is very popular right now.

Svelte is even newer, so its not yet as feature rich or stable, but it is a bit of an interesting mix of both angular and react, so it's worth keeping an eye on

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 19:53
Quote: "Last post was me and nearly 15 days ago."
eeeeeey! Don't you DARE double post! Do you even see what you just did to your point count? RIGHT IN HALF!!!!!! Slashed I tell ya!

Lol jokes aside, it is pretty crazy how dead it's been. I'm still here, I just having nothing to post about. Hey, as long as we get a post here and there at least once every 30 days, the Posting Competition will live on!!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 22:10
Aye, those are some of the things that I am liking about AngularJS, though yes, from my using it so far, it does feel very opinionated. With regard to the JQuery side, I have heard mention of JQuery Lite in Angular, but all fair points about using it, I was curious about using it and I can see your argument for "the angular way". Being modular is one of the things that attracts me and I dig the MVC structure to it, because it's why I have become used to using Ruby on Rails. I also know there's argument over how relevant JQuery is these days, in reference to other, newer, frameworks and also how some of the features JQuery had over core JS are now in core JS (like the query selector) and is good if it's convenient or if you're looking at browser compatibility (particularly older ones) .

I am currently working through a Full Stack JavaScript course and will intend to use it to help get me get an industry job and will also in the process of working up a portfolio to help, but figure it is worth learning more about different frameworks as I go as I've pretty much covered most of the frontend side and I figure sensible to put it to work. React is on my todo list, as well as Meteor and maybe Ember, I've not heard of Svelte, but I will keep an eye out for it and may take a look into it.

Quote: "eeeeeey! Don't you DARE double post! Do you even see what you just did to your point count? RIGHT IN HALF!!!!!! Slashed I tell ya!"

I thought it was like golf rules? I guess I am doing it wrong.

Quote: "Hey, as long as we get a post here and there at least once every 30 days, the Posting Competition will live on!!"

And if it ever got auto-locked, I have the ability to keep posting. All you would see is just pages and pages of me. The horror. Me and my essay length posts.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 23:20
If you are doing full stack JS, are you getting in to nodejs then? You may want to look at the MEAN stack if you haven't which is:
Mongodb (json document database)
Express (node based Web server)
Angular (front end JS framework)
Nodejs (server side JS, runs express, templating, database connectors etc)

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 23:25
Me, I will get me some points! Oh...and, the new tripple xXx with Vin Diesel was awesome! Also in 3D.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 00:49
Quote: "
And if it ever got auto-locked, I have the ability to keep posting. All you would see is just pages and pages of me. The horror. Me and my essay length posts."

We already have one of those

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/182706

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 07:04
Quote: "I thought it was like golf rules? I guess I am doing it wrong. "
Lol

Quote: "The horror. Me and my essay length posts."
Awww, don't ever let anyone get you down for those long posts! In today's world too many people are short and brief. Some lengthyness never hurts. And it contributes to the forum's activity!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 15:44
Quote: "Some lengthyness never hurts. And it contributes to the forum's activity!"

Hum...not really...short posts are faster to write, which means that you can write more posts during a day .
But then again...writing more posts could end up in double posting if there's not enough others to post in between. So...hmm...it's not easy to decide whether or not short or long posts are beneficial for more forum activity.
Perhaps you could divide your lenghty posts in several smaller posts, spread out over a period of time .
Nah...I'm just kidding! If you want to post lenghty posts, go ahead, Sepp! Rock on, mate! \m/
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 19:47
Quote: "If you are doing full stack JS, are you getting in to nodejs then?"

That I will be. MEAN too. My current backend experience is mostly made up of Rails, but I will be covering Node, Express and Mongo, among other things. I'll be learning to get SASSy too, not that I already am sassy with the people I work with...

Quote: "Awww, don't ever let anyone get you down for those long posts! In today's world too many people are short and brief. Some lengthyness never hurts. And it contributes to the forum's activity!"

They don't, I just have a self-deprecating sense of humour and have a reputation for long posts.

Quote: "Perhaps you could divide your lenghty posts in several smaller posts, spread out over a period of time"

Perhaps post one word at a time? Maybe too words if I am really struggling to get the itch to post something longer?

What'll happen is I'll expand my vocabulary and learn some really long words. I think Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a good starting point. I love how Welsh is a language that looks like I've applied my face to my keyboard.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 20:01
Quote: "Perhaps post one word at a time? Maybe too words if I am really struggling to get the itch to post something longer?"
Yes! We will need to figure out a new point system, in order to keep it fair for players like you.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 22:31
Quote: "tripple xXx"

xXxxXxxXx?
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 22:48
Or Triple Ex, where polygamy isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 16:31
Ohh, web framework discussion.

I started looking at rails a few days ago as part of a university project. It seems nice but I hate how much it does automatically without you telling it how. For example, the autogenerated `*_path()` functions that give you the path to a specific route. They seem nice and are nice until they don't generate for some reason and you have no idea why. Also, I think the documentation is pretty lacking, atleast when looking at things like the "getting started" guide. A lot of it is "to do this, write this" without actually telling you why that does what you want.

Also, I don't really like ruby so far. I like programming languages that force you to be explicit, preferably statically typed but ruby seems like the oposite of that.

For example, being able to call functions that don't take parameters without including the () seems nice, but when you read someone elses code, you have no idea if that is a call to a function, that might modify state or just a variable. To make it even worse, since it doesn't force you to write 'self' for accessing members, there are 4 different things that `variable` could do.

Rails does seem really usefull if you do what it wants you to do and once you get used to it and know those things.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 19:12
I've generally viewed Rails as an odd one, but I do like it. It had a steeper learning curve at the start, because it wasn't the way of coding I was used to, particular in the way Ruby works and of course how Rails itself works. Heck, I am still an idiot when it comes to Ruby, but I know enough to do what I need Rails to do, but ask me to do what I can in C#, VB and JS, I'll give you a blank stare. However, once you get over the initial hurdle of using Rails it can be fantastic to work with. The phrase I picked up learning it was "convention over configuration", meaning Rails will assume a lot (as you're finding with the paths) and you will therefore need to work to its conventions, but it also means it will do a lot for you and the result is that you can get something working quite quickly, once you know how Rails likes to think, it's that much easier to get it to do what you want it to do for you. I ended up attracted to it see how much joy Rails developers were saying they get out of using it. I don't know about core Ruby so much, I know the RPGMaker community hated using it and their latest RPG Maker opts for a JavaScript system instead.

The guides on the site aren't that brilliant, I tend to use them as a reference should anything slip my mind as the code talks you through the basic structure of a Rails app. With regards to actual references, usually when I run into a problem (in general) I try and see if I can get solutions through Stack Overflow, so many coding problems have been answered there for so many different languages. Rails is probably one of the few out there I don't use the documentation for. I've used documentation for gems I've set up, but not Rails itself.

There are other Rails tutorials out there that are better. I learned through a paid service, but Rails for Zombies is supposed to be a good set of free tutorials: http://railsforzombies.org/

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 21:00
I love the concepts behind ruby/rails, but I think the problem with it is that it lacks a general focus. It definitely seems to be the product of iterative development, where the direction was changed for certain aspects of it along the way which led to a unified concept with disjointed pieces.

On an unrelated note, this is important:
"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 15:24 Edited at: 1st Feb 2017 15:25
Quote: "Perhaps post one word at a time? Maybe too words if I am really struggling to get the itch to post something longer?"

Good idea, lol!

Quote: "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"

Geeeezes...what does it mean? I hope it's not a verb, lol! Can't imagine it would be easy to conjugate !

Quote: "I love how Welsh is a language that looks like I've applied my face to my keyboard"

Yeah...and then you go outside and people are staring at you for no particular reason (because of the keys imprinted on your skin), eh? I know what you mean. They don't seem to grasp that you have a very close band with your keyboard.

Quote: "Yes! We will need to figure out a new point system, in order to keep it fair for players like you. "

At least some good came out of this. Look at all the posts we had in such short time span, lol!

Quote: "xXxxXxxXx?"

Quote: "Or Triple Ex, where polygamy isn't quite what it's cracked up to be."

Hahahaaaa! Nice find, guys!

I do not know anything about ruby or rails, but what I do know is this...Megadeth, Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson (plus other bands that aren't revealed yet) are coming to Belgium soon! And, there's a big chance that I'll go see them! Whooooooohoooooooooo! \m/
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 18:52
Quote: "Geeeezes...what does it mean? I hope it's not a verb, lol! Can't imagine it would be easy to conjugate"

It's a place name: Linky

Quote: "I do not know anything about ruby or rails, but what I do know is this...Megadeth, Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson (plus other bands that aren't revealed yet) are coming to Belgium soon! And, there's a big chance that I'll go see them! Whooooooohoooooooooo! \m/"

Get on it mate, all three will be playing Wacken this year too. Woop woop.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 20:58
An actual conversation that happened with someone on the other team in CTF overwatch:
Opponent: Don't try to win this game mode, try to control the map
OP: If you control the map you win by default
ME: But if you win you also win by default
OP: No, you don't
"

His team lost...
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 21:44
@Seppuku arts. Thanks for the tip about railsforzombies. It explained a lot of things which other tutorials hadn't.

I don't know how I feel about `convention over configuration`. It seems like a nice idea but until you get used to it it is a pain. And unless that convention is broad enough, I feel like you would run into situation where you can't follow the convention and end up not being able to "configure"

Also, the fact that so many things are autogenerated scares me. Is it really necessairy to automatically pluralize variable things when they are plural? The model part of rails seems to do a lot of that.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 07:20 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2017 11:47
Quote: "An actual conversation that happened with someone on the other team in CTF overwatch:"

a=!logic
a=!logic
b=logic
a=!b

Pft! It seems my avatar image has been unlinked. The new chap filling in is pretty handsome, though. Hmmm... Back to the old coffee cup?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 15:18
Quote: "Get on it mate, all three will be playing Wacken this year too. Woop woop."

Will do, mate! Wanna shake Dave Mustaine's hand.... if possible ......not !

Weird stuff going on on the forum too. Geek Culture has gone up! A few more years and we'll be on top of the forum board !
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 20:18
Quote: "@Seppuku arts. Thanks for the tip about railsforzombies. It explained a lot of things which other tutorials hadn't.

I don't know how I feel about `convention over configuration`. It seems like a nice idea but until you get used to it it is a pain. And unless that convention is broad enough, I feel like you would run into situation where you can't follow the convention and end up not being able to "configure"

Also, the fact that so many things are autogenerated scares me. Is it really necessairy to automatically pluralize variable things when they are plural? The model part of rails seems to do a lot of that."

With the convention being broad enough, I have not yet found Rails to restrict me and there are so many gems available for Rails that a lot of things you need to do with Rails already exist out there. I guess with any framework you use, it comes down to what you're intending to use it for and making sure you have the right tools for the job and why it's good to have a broad view than to follow a narrow path. Rails provides exactly what I need for my site, I have gotten used to it doing things for me and find that it is quite quick to get something new out with it. Having played with ASP.NET MVC with it before, although ASP.NET is still not difficult to get something running in ASP.NET, I found Rails that much more convenient to do it. It works beautifully well with Heroku too (though ASP.NET has Azure, but at least databases are free on Heroku and not on Azure). I am lover of both, however.

But talking of the right tools for the right job. I have been working on a part of our booking system at work, (we have a new booking process and I had ideas they liked and have been coding again in my customer services/admin job), but I've been using JQuery for it, because it's what I am confident with. Making changes today, I already started thinking, as the app is increasing in complexity, "this is where Angular would make this simpler to manage and update".

Quote: "Will do, mate! Wanna shake Dave Mustaine's hand.... if possible ......not"

Make sure you don't have a train to catch. That's what was annoying when I went to go and see Evergrey, Tom Englund joined his fans at the bar, I shook his hand and instead of going "I'll buy you a drink" I ended up going off to catch a train. One of my favourite bands of all time too. Lesson learned when we saw Soil, Ryan joined us to engage in a discussion about the wonders of bacon and no trains to catch.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 21:44
Whoa! My old avatar has returned without any intervention from myself! This is magical!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 22:38
Quote: "Whoa! My old avatar has returned without any intervention from myself! This is magical"

What was it before, when I saw your first post it still looked like the same as it is now.

Unrelated to this, but related to overwatch; I just got my first Ana POTG. I was quite proud of it since I was doing well all match.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 00:42
Quote: "What was it before, when I saw your first post it still looked like the same as it is now."
Oh it just unliked for some reason and TGC's default avatar, a silhouette of a person, was the avatar.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 00:52
How has everyone been doing? Anything interesting I need to get caught up on?

Just set up my computers to get started on a few projects again. I had a huge scare when I couldn't find my back up files o.0
I found the flash drive by mistake after giving up all hope. (Normally how it works)
Download My Games for Android. Made with AGK.
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 14:17
Quote: "Just set up my computers to get started on a few projects again. I had a huge scare when I couldn't find my back up files o.0
I found the flash drive by mistake after giving up all hope. (Normally how it works)"

This is why you use git
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 19:13 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2017 19:15
Quote: "This is why you use git"

I whole-heartedly recommend Git (or something similar) to anybody coding anything. Git clone, push and pull also makes life easier if you do want to create backups on other drives or even on the internet. Sadly private repositories on Github require a subscription, but if you don't mind your code being available publically, you can push to GitHub completely free. There is likely a free alternative to Github too. I think I have my website in about 4 or 5 different places now, I am that paranoid. I just recall when I was doing my A-Levels, both my PC and my USB drive I had my coursework saved on died, but fortunately, I still had my online backup. Also working in after sales and getting customers whose have phones died on them and they've got precious contact numbers and photos on there that they've not backed up, you are reminding them in the politest way possible that it is technology and you cannot guarantee 100% that it will not fail and data isn't always recoverable and why "backup" is a feature. That's why smart phones have backup facilities and the ones I've owned have often prompted me to set them up. After all they are handheld computers, the same principles apply.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 22:00
Bitbucket I believe has free private git repositories.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 13:59
I guess all this talk of web frameworks and such, I figure I ought to show off my roleplaying group's site (roleplay in FFXIV)

It is still a work in progress. I recently returned to it after a long time and am correcting all of my bad coding habits from when I originally set it up and also updating the styling. Though I still need to overhaul the CSS, because the code I wrote...maybe 1 or 2 years ago? Wasn't very well structured.

All the backend was done in Ruby On Rails too.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 14:34 Edited at: 4th Feb 2017 14:36
I'd say the text is hard to read over such a noisy background. You might put the menu text on a solid color alpha panel to lift it and give some contrast.

I know its supposed to look like handwriting on parchment, but I think you would need to lower the contrast and noise of the parchment image for that to work and I think a panel is the better UX option in this case.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 17:49
That is a fair point. I wanted to avoid having something as harsh as white (or semi-transparent) boxes. But I ended up going with this:

(obligatory Lionel Richie reference placed)

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 06:52
Quote: " About delivery and shipping
1,By sea We usually for our customers by sea transport.
2,By air Usually by federal express transportation,DHL,But because of the diversity of products, including liquid products can't air, and the spend by air is expensive, so we propose to have the goods dispatched by sea. "
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 21:33
Quote: "including liquid products can't air"

Thems important instructions, best never be mixin em ups. I know, I'm a scientist.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 23:53
Quote: "How has everyone been doing? Anything interesting I need to get caught up on? "

Well I moved out of home to study Computer Science this year. Literally moved out yesterday. Now I don't know what to do with my time as uni doesn't start for another month. I was going to start looking for work, but I'm awaiting a reference from my previous employer. Any moving-out-for-the-first-time advice is appreciated

My Games - Latest WIP
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 18:47
Quote: "Now I don't know what to do with my time as uni doesn't start for another month."

That's a weird time to start. Are you from germany? (if I recall correctly they have some weird semester times)

I can't give you any moving out advice since I have yet to move out. I might need some after the summer though when I go to the netherlands to study for a year .
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 06:04 Edited at: 12th Feb 2017 15:27
Quote: "Any moving-out-for-the-first-time advice is appreciated"

Sure: Go back and live with your parents. You're making an unnecessary loss by paying rent. You're better off saving up money for the inevitable student loan dept.

Second: If you have no other choice but to live away from your parents, learn to cook food. Never go down that road where you buy junk food every day. Again, it's primarily about money since you pay about 10 times less for home-made food, but secondarily you can impress girls and the food you make will taste better and will be healthier.

Third: Don't buy unnecessary [Mod Edit: You know better].

Third: Figure out a study plan and try to stick to it. Uni is no longer a place where you can cram in everything one day before the final exam. You will need at least 2 weeks (assuming 5 hours a day) to prep.

That's pretty much it.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 12:41
Quote: "That's pretty much it"

Also, make sure you can count to four (if you don't know what I mean, re-read comet's message).
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 16:17
Some good points there, TheComet...but...budokaiman also has a good point .
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 20:06 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 20:09
I moved out when I went to Uni and spent my time there, aye, it's more expensive, but if you're getting a job, it'll help ease the pain.

My tips would be:

Echoing The Comet (The Comet....The comet.....the comet...the co...) , knowing how to cook is an advantage, as is knowing how to cook cheap. There's a number of student recipes out there to look up. Find a cheap supermarket too. If you're the kind of student who ends up partying and drinking etc. why not have nights in? Me and my flatmates/housemates (when we were in a house) used to enjoy cheap nights in. The alcohol is cheaper and you can stick a movie on or something. Stretches out those social times without having to spend out. Also, if you're stuck for food and REALLY trying to count the pennies...I discovered that rice or pasta and baked beans are not only a ridiculously cheap meal, but actually go together. Not something to rely on, but you can pick up tips to cut the budget.

If you and your friends can chip in and cook for each others, or chip in for the meal and the one who can cook, cooks, then it'll help spread the cost.

If you can use the library instead of buying a textbook, take advantage of doing it. Even if your lecturer wrote the book, don't feel bad. One of our lecturers had his own book on the syllabus and told us there's several copies in the library, so don't worry about purchasing it, he'd only get peanuts anyway.

If you already have plenty of changes of clothes, take advantage of that. You'll use the laundrette less frequently.

If going out at night, go with others and stick to a group...I know that's a fairly standard life rule, but some people ignore it...including me, but more folly on me.

Be active? There are extra-curricular things you can do at university, it's a once in a life time thing, so why not branch out and find new things to enjoy whilst you're there and some skills you pick up from it may help you in some way later on. I took advantage of the student radio station, wrote for the student magazine, ran a spoken word society and ended up doing live performances. Which I would never thought I'd do prior to university, even the student radio thing, that was incredibly random, I just went along to see what it was like and ended up walking out planning myself a radio show. But bare in mind, you still have your studies, so manage them wisely.

I know for many places, the first year can be seen as getting into the flow of things. If it is the case where you are going, take advantage of it. Learn what your preferred studying methods are, get it into your routine and get used to managing your leisure time, study time, lecture time, anything extra-curricular and your job. Universities will have seminars on topics that are optional, if useful or relevant to you, go to them, you might learn something useful, even if it's not a part of your curriculum (may even be useful in a later module). Some will view it as a year of goofing off, whilst it is good to give yourself time to have fun and enjoy yourself (all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy), but don't treat it like a vacation as some do. After the first year, your studying workload will increase and your final year, you will most likely be doing a dissertation. My advice with a dissertation, start early. It gives you room to decide you don't like the topic you've picked and find something more interesting. It will give you time to get your research ready. You will find later on, deadlines will be squashed together. I recall my sanity breaking during dissertation time, I didn't leave the research too late, but I should have started the write-up earlier and I ended up on caffeine fueled adventures of insanity. Which strangely, I look back positively on...I enjoyed the experience.

Study groups can be good. If you're not likely to encourage each other to procrastinate. I spent a lot of my final year in the library with friends and we studied and also made use of classrooms when we could. But also read each other's work and offered feedback. Getting feedback from each other can be really helpful in that it can give your work fresh eyes and spot things you didn't notice or consider before.

If you have a career's centre or some service related to careers. Check it out. One thing that I wished I did, your degree gives you the skills and knowledge you may need, but good careers advice can help you shape it, with employers in mind. I was overwhelmed by the world of finding employment when I finished, having gone to university straight after finishing school and only having small jobs, I really did not know much about what to expect job-seeking. Contacting employers and reading job advertisements for jobs you'd end up going for is a good way of knowing what they want too. It might influence choices you make whilst you are at university. Because ultimately, you want to leave and get a job and be ahead of the competition.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:15
The Zoq2,
Nah I'm from Australia. Uni goes from end of Feb-December each year with about 8 weeks of holidays throughout down under

The Comet,
Yeah commuting from home each day isn't really an option. Parents live rurally and it would be about 2 1/2 hours each way. Since I'm moving down pretty early I'll try and get through the junk food eating stage now before Uni starts

Seppuku Arts,

You certainly deserve that valued member badge

Thanks a tonne for the advice. I had been planning on looking for work now, but I've decided I'll wait until second semester. Orientation starts in just over 2 weeks, so that wouldn't leave much time to get settled into a job (assuming I could find one) before classes and my schedule would completely change. Then there's the issue that I might start classes and suddenly find out that it's easy harder than I anticipated and not even have time for work.

Do you reckon that's wise? Or should I be looking for work now anyway?

Anyways thanks for all the advice, gonna write this down and keep it somewhere

My Games - Latest WIP
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:17
Quote: "Be active? There are extra-curricular things you can do at university, it's a once in a life time thing, so why not branch out and find new things to enjoy whilst you're there"

This is a very good point. You can go to uni and just study but while you're there, do some other things aswell. You end up meeting new people outside your class and you pick up a lot of nice skills that you wouldn't otherwise. I was a teachers assistant last semester and have am part of the "board" of prgramming "society" for a year (no idea if those are the correct english words for those things ). They don't have to be big things like that either, you could help organise an event at some point for example. Also, next semester I will be studying in holland as an exchange student. Its a bit of a bigger thing that the others I still see it as a "do it while you have the chance" thing.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 23:57
Quote: "Also, next semester I will be studying in holland as an exchange student. Its a bit of a bigger thing that the others I still see it as a "do it while you have the chance" thing"

Mate ya should have come to Aus

But yeah I'm definitely planning on doing more with my time than just classes and Dota

My Games - Latest WIP
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 19:35
Mate ya should have come to Aus "

I would have but my uni had very few exchange programmes with any Australian universities
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 19:44
Quote: "Do you reckon that's wise? Or should I be looking for work now anyway? "

It's hard to say. I would put it down to how financially sorted you are. I know people who worked and people who didn't and either seemed fine. I was in between, I managed to get some work during the holiday breaks, even though it wasn't a lot of work, but I was able to live on what my loan got me. More money means fewer financial worries. So one could argue it puts less stress in that regard. Schedules I can see being an issue, in that they may change each semester. But something like a weekend job, might remedy that issue. Being a student, it would end up being a part-time job. I don't know how Australia is for that sort of thing, but I would note, even if an employer is looking for full-time staff, there is no harm in asking if they'd consider taking somebody on part time. We have part timers where I work and we only advertise full time, we've had a couple of people go to University or somebody who is trying to kickstart their own freelance work and needs a consistent income on the side. And two people who do part time because they have kids to look after. The worst thing that'll happen is they say "no" and you've lost nothing in asking.

One advantage of doing it early is that you can get a head start on looking for jobs over other students. But I guess it's weighing the benefits and what you prefer/are able to work with. As I had holiday work, I personally enjoyed the extra freedom, but I am not a very well structured person and tend to want to do things spontenously and benefit from freedom. But I ended up being more careful financially and being more careful with what I spend my money on. If you find you're going to have to buy a lot of expensive text books, as seems to be stereotypical for those, say, in the US, then extra money I can see being useful. I didn't, and a lot of the books I needed I could get from the library or were inexpensive. Some courses may not have that benefit too. I didn't do computer science.

As you have orientation, you may even have people who can provide you with more relevant advice in this respect.

Quote: "You can go to uni and just study but while you're there, do some other things aswell. You end up meeting new people outside your class and you pick up a lot of nice skills that you wouldn't otherwise. I was a teachers assistant last semester and have am part of the "board" of prgramming "society" for a year (no idea if those are the correct english words for those things ). "

The other great thing with this, is that even if you don't have a club or society for the thing you want to do, you can set it up. Me and a couple of my friends were really interested in storytelling, as in the folk art. Not a big or widespread thing these days or well recognised for what it is, but we started one up and managed to get a strong group growing and enticing people who didn't know it was a thing (and some who did) to join and get involved. And also brought people in who had confidence issues speaking in front of crowds or engaging people in a crowd learning to over come that, some saw it as an opportunity there, as well as make friends and have fun. Useful for things like presentations too. Doing events was the challenging bit, whilst we were able to get good performance spaces and advertise, people tend to confuse you for comedians and realise you're not trying to be funny. But managed to get some decent events opened up, even opening for a spoken word night that was closed off by performance poet Kate Tempest, though I did make a bit of a butt of myself with her, I realised she was on an album for a poet I was a big fan of and probably talked more about their work...than her work. It's perhaps a little awkward, when you should go going "I love your work OMG", and not "I love the work of the guy you worked with and you were awesome on his album".

So with the extra-curricular stuff, there is a lot you can do, even if the thing you want to do doesn't exist. But, I would argue not to get too carried away, at least, prioritise studying over it. But at least with studying, I wasn't thrown into the deepend. But, it can be easy to get carried away and forget about it, particularly if those deadlines are in the distance. Then they're not in the distance. Though I am probably not a good point of reference for it, because I am very easily distracted and have the focus of a hyperactive child on caffeine, how I hold down my job really is a miracle. You can probably tell in my posts I make tangents, like this one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:39:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:39:33