Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Spitfire Maverick

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 19:19 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 19:20
Quote: "Hahaha the civillian bit was hilarious! They're a bit docile though... "

You could have them jump into the ocean like a swarm of lemmings. Or drop to the ground to avoid being the victim of a high-velocity prop.

Hehe, actually it was quite enjoyable. BTW, your new sig should have a picture of a massacre and your maverick headed towards inevitable destruction, like a hill or a tree or something.

Support the indie!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 22:32
Just now saw this, it's looking great . Nice arcade like feel to it .

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 22:56 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 23:38
Quote: "BTW, your new sig should have a picture of a massacre and your maverick headed towards inevitable destruction, like a hill or a tree or something."

You mean Spitfire?

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 23:35
Quote: "You mean Spitfire? "
Yeah, that's what I meant w/e

Support the indie!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 23:46
Might improve the AI of the civilians, but they won't normally be standing about in a big bunch like that. There's code to prevent them running past each other, which avoids them bunching up and overlapping at stop points, like the shore or overly steap cliffs, so that means only the ones on the edge of a group can run away. I might add some simple code that makes them plot a new movement when someone is killed though, in the opposite direction. Should make it a bit more frantic on the ground.

As for a picture of my maverick heading towards it's demise, that is actually grammatically correct. Maverick refers to the pilot of the Spitfire - ie. he is a complete lunatic, renagade, extreme mentalist who flies with absolutely no respect for convension. Hence all the crashing into trees.

@Scraggle
I agree. Pick up and play is the way forward. Plus it's easier to make.

@Virtual Nomad
Killing of all civilians in a level will reward the player with a special Medal of Carnage, which will entitle the player to shake hands with hitler in hell at the end of the game. A victory worth fighting for, I say.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 01:02
Quote: "As for a picture of my maverick heading towards it's demise, that is actually grammatically correct. Maverick refers to the pilot of the Spitfire - ie. he is a complete lunatic, renagade, extreme mentalist who flies with absolutely no respect for convension. Hence all the crashing into trees."

But you can't really see the pilot .

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 02:24 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 02:28
Quote: "Medal of Carnage"

not sure if you're serious about the end-game bonus (pretty sure you're not) but it's the thought that counts! heh. thanks.

edit: btw, since i was the one "complaining" about the fuel gauge, if you want to send me the other graphic you found, i'd be happy to clean it up and/or re-create it to your spec reqs. i know you'll be re-evaluating aestetics later so this could be a little head-start on that.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Game looks great so far I look forward to seeing more!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 07:04
Quote: "edit: btw, since i was the one "complaining" about the fuel gauge, if you want to send me the other graphic you found, i'd be happy to clean it up and/or re-create it to your spec reqs. i know you'll be re-evaluating aestetics later so this could be a little head-start on that."

I didn't as you already were. You're totally correct it takes away from the style - although it is very unobtrousive, it's a little detail.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 09:10
Looking cool Fallout, most importantly though it looks a lot of fun to play - always liked these sorts of games, ever since Falcon Patrol on the C64.

One thing I would like to see you do is add in an allied tank or something - maybe a vehicle that you have to protect as it travels to the other side of the map, there's a DS game like that (Glory Days 2).
You could have missions based on this - like a broken down troop carrier in the middle of the map, and some engineers running towards it, meanwhile you have to protect the troop carrier and engineers so they can fix things and get back to base.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 12:37 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 13:23
Hey Fallout.
I'm not saying that anything is wrong with your HUD but I have something that I think would be perfect for this project. I started re-writing Roughnecks (a game that I lost the source code for in a cat related accident) but didn't get very far with it. I made a HUD and tested morphing nebulae and that was about it.
The HUD is a rusty metal with analogue dials that rotate. Although in my project the gauge is for 'Gun Temp' it would be easy to modify it to be a fuel gauge and if you are interested I would be happy to do it for you (it wouldn't take much doing).

Below is a piccy of it and here is a video of the morphing nebulae and HUD test

Let me know if you are interested and I will edit the images and make them more 'aircrafty' and email them to you

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 13:32
@Fallout
Could you make it, so that when the spitfire gets near enough for them to see it, they start running from it, and when it gets very near, they jump onto the ground That would look amazing

Also, more videos please!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 23:10
@Scraggle
Thanks chap. That HUD definitely suits the style, and I could see its look and feel working. Cheers for the offer. What I'll probably do is revisit the HUD later in the project when I'm ready to release a demo, and then get back to you if that's ok. It could work really well.

@Virtual Nomad
Same thing I said to Scraggle. I appreciate the HUD could be better, so will take a look at it later at demo stage. Then I'll also know of any other visuals I need, and get the whole look and feel done at once.

@Van B
Yeah, an allied tank would be good. What I intend to do is finish off all the elements I've got planned (so just troops and enemy aircraft), then setup my way of defining missions. Once I've got that, I can release a demo for people to play with a few levels. Then I'll want to work on adding lots of mission variety, so things like protecting convoys etc. will come later. Allied tanks should be mostly just plug and play with the code I've written.

@Diggsey
Yes, and no. Perhaps in the future. Right now I'm trying not to make it too complicated so I can actually get it done. Civilians/troops are just a small part of the game, so I dont want to make them too complicated. Definitely an idea for later though.

Progress:
Practically none. We're reaching critical dates for a major messaging product at work right now, so plugging away at work before XMAS hols. But come this weekend, I've got 2 weeks to work on the game, excluding drinking and eating time.

Cheers for everyones continued interest.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 00:20
Quote: "Progress:
Practically none. "

Shall I... Yeaaaaah: "DON'T YOU DARE, MISTER FALLOUT "

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 02:39
Fallout, this game looks good. I played a hell of a lot of Sopwith when I was younger, and this captures the feeling of it perfectly, and elevates it to an all new level. The bullets are very Sopwith, I love how they feel 'solid'. The destruction and mayhem are great.

I'm sure you're going to change it, but when the plane is wrecked it reminds me of a potted plant breaking. Probably just placeholder debris.

Good luck with this - I want to play it, so you'd better finish it

Come see the WIP!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 01:35
Cheers for the comments Cash. Yeah, not a lot of effort is put into anything at all to be honest. I'm rushing it all together to get it done, and will readdress everything at the end to add polish.

Update -

I finished working on Rifle Soldier code. Rocket soldiers should be an easy add tomorrow, as it's the same stuff, just firing rockets. In the vid, I showed the take off, as I've added an auto-retracting landing gear. In the first encounter with the soldiers, they are all enemies, and the accuracy of their aiming is probably a bit high (I think my bullet arc + path guessing algorithm is too good! ), so will tone that down. In the second encounter, there are a few friendly troops on the left. You can get some quite cool skirmishes going on between both sides, although this isn't the best example.

Rifle Soldiers (8.9MB HiRes WMV)
Anyways, more later.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 03:02
I hate how you don't smash into trees anymore .

I love how the game is progressing, though.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 03:36 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 03:38
another nice video update. i especially appreciated the errant shot still finding a mark at ~ 0:59

and, i agree with your assessment on rifle accuracy being too good (the barrage between 0:15 and 0:19 is painful to watch and daunting as an aspiring Spitfire pilot! are there any desk jobs available? ).

is there a friendly-fire safe mode applied in the video demo? there were a couple shots that appeared to be spot on but they didn't lay the trooper down as expected. or, maybe it takes more than 1 shot to kill at times?

i'm just happy that the "civilians" aren't so civil anymore. i'll be able to sleep better knowing it was a "me or them" situation. heh.

good stuff, fallout

Virtual Nomad
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 03:39
This is great! Can't wait to try out the demo, fallout! Very profesional and fun looking!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 06:18
Looks amazing.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 10:01 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 10:05
Cheers for the comments chaps. I've not got any plans to do stuff today, so rocket soldiers are on the agenda.

Quote: "is there a friendly-fire safe mode applied in the video demo? there were a couple shots that appeared to be spot on but they didn't lay the trooper down as expected. or, maybe it takes more than 1 shot to kill at times?"

Yeah, I've given every bullet/shell/bomb/flak etc. a side variable, so when they're created, they have an allegiance. Allied bullets are very clever and pass through the bodies of allied soliders without harm. Axis bullets are just as cunning!

I'm still not sure exactly how to balance it all, but at the moment, friendly fire is off. With it on, the troops have a tendancy to shoot each other in the back of the head. I could perform some other checks, but then you'd end up with just the one guy at the front shooting, and everyone else doing nothing.

What I'll probably do is make player bullets/bombs "side 3", so they can kill anyone, to ensure you still have to pick your targets, but keep it so that friendly-fire is off for the AI units.

Quote: "I hate how you don't smash into trees anymore"

If I remember, I'll be sure to remedy that for the next vid!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 14:11
Rocket soldiers are done. I've set up a few skirmishes and it's more interesting now ground troops can actually blow up tanks. Again, in this vid I get annihilated, but normally you won't have this sort of concentration of firepower, except in maybe really tough levels.

Rocket Soldiers (7MB HiRes WMV)

Also, rockets can't hit troops. I decided that'd make the rifle soldiers pretty much obsolete. The explosions can kill troops, but the rocket itself won't hit them.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 14:26 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 14:26
LOL @ Video.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Wouldn't have misstood in a comedy show . Laughed for a full minute at least.

Looking intense. Am getting a bit worried that this game is gonna be nice & hard, but too hard for mainstream.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 14:49 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 14:52
Thanks mate. Hope you appreciated the last 5 seconds!

As for difficulty, there's no need to worry. Bear in mind, for the vids I'm really not playing the game. I'm just doing fly bys to show the effects. There are plenty of ways to make it easier - reduce enemy accuracy, reduce damage the weapons do, reduce density of enemy etc. Plus, as a test, I just had a go at killing all of that lot, and I did it first go, with about 50% health remaining. Here's another vid -

Test Fight (6MB HiRes WMV)

Right, think I'm gonna go for the big one next - enemy flying fortress carpet bombing everything, with multiple machine gun hard points!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 17:38
This sounds very very similar to a game I used to play to death almost 20 years ago.... Bloody hell, was it that long ago?.... Anyway, Was called Sopwith 2 and we played it on CGA monitors. Left and right keys made the plane rotate, so could easily fly upside down. Flocks of birds made you go into a spin (that you could get out of if you were skilled), and you had a gun and bomb button. Look it up, was an ace game. Oh, plus someone made something very similar a while back with loads of different plane types. Can't remember the name, but look up retro game remakes and you should find it nicely.

Just need a really good multiplayer version mate to set it apart. Would love to play that.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 17:53 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 17:53
This game looks spectacular.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 18:40
Wow, Dazzag, sharp of you. Too much beer again?

Fallout stated in post 1 that the game is inspired by the original Sopwith

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 19:22
Not just the 1st post ... the 1st line!!!!

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 19:31
Quote: "This is a side scroller WW2 spitfire game, based on an ancient pre 90's game called Sopwith."

And to think, these forums contain most of the intellect on the intertubes...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 21:21
Ah, sorry, speed reading too much. Thought it read based on the plane, not the game. Still, what was with the post about being able to do upside down flying? If it follows the original then it is easy as hell to do.

Still look for the recent remake with loads of planes. Is pretty good, just runs a bit too fast.

Think it's this one:-
http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=9177

Cheers

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 02:28
Cheers Dazzag. Will take a look at that.

Started some basic AI for a bomber, plus made the model, and also added a dopler shifter engine (i.e. sound effects for plane engines). It's a cool early warning that you're about to have some sort of plane bearing down on you.

Doppler Sounds (5MB WMV)

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 02:47
more goodness, fallout. loving the attention to detail you're offering. this is proving to be a multi-sensual experience with a solid immersion factor.

thanks for the update!

Virtual Nomad
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 04:45
Is the bomber an ally or an enemy?

This game looks fantastic. Can't wait to play.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 05:54
Goodie, nice effect!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 17:29 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 17:29
Quote: "Is the bomber an ally or an enemy?"

It's an enemy medium bomber. I think I modeled it on the Dornier Do 217. It'll have 3 working machine gun hardpoints which should be cool. Realistically we're talking about boxing day before I make any more progress though.

Here's a random screenie -

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 19:37
You.Are.My.Hero.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 20:39
Remember in Sopwith you could hide in the clouds. And if you went too high you went into a spin that was hard to get out of (same as hitting a flock of birds).

Cheers

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 19:53
Quick update - still working on bomber code. Had to add in a new collision system to cope with the long thin shape (previously was just using non-rotating box and sphere collision). That's taken a while. But now I can spawn bombers, and crash into them, and they get seriously pounded by AA gun fire. Will work on their machinegun hardpoints next (maybe get that done tonight if possible) and then their bombing runs next.

More updates later.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 23:59
Ok, thought I'd add a vid update of the bomber progress. Bombers can now successfully fly around the map engaging targets with their machine guns. I'll adjust the sound later on, as all the bullet sounds are starting to get a bit overwhelming now, especially when you have 3 flying fortresses, some pillboxes, ground troops and your spitfire spraying out lead death at the same time.

I'll add the bombs next, and then move onto fighters, which is gonna be a greater AI challenge.

Pretty big vid this:
German Bombers 1 (16MB HiRes WMV)

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:11
As Borat would say: Very Nice! Especially the scene in which the three bombers fly and you seem to control one, looks a bit like an action sequence from a movie.

I disliked how the bombers seemed to just drop, some sort of aircraft going down sound would really add to that.

You really had to bomb that house at the end, eh?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:14
Very COOL Fallout!
Your stuff always looks so polished

a.k.a WOLF!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 12:12
Quote: "I disliked how the bombers seemed to just drop, some sort of aircraft going down sound would really add to that."

Added that this morning.

@Ron

Thanks matey. Btw, I bought your animation plugin but haven't even had a chance to download it yet! I'm gonna have some animation in my next project, so I'll road test it then, but I hear good things.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 22:14
Quote: "Btw, I bought your animation plugin but haven't even had a chance to download it yet!"

Haha!
Your previous project was a big part of the reason that I started to develop Enhanced Animations. I remember doing a lot of my preliminary testing with some models and animations that you sent me

a.k.a WOLF!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 13:05
Alas, I lost most of the Claymore Island stuff in a harddrive issue (plus backup corrupted). However, I have since found some older backups, so it's not all lost. But expect something along similar lines in the future. I look forward to trying it out. Specifically, I've had an awesome idea for a sword fighting engine, that'd require combining animations, plus the power to stop them mid flow and blend from specific frame to specific frame for certain limbs. When I get there, I'll be sure to push your plugin as far as it can go.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 21:06
Update -

I've added a Lancaster bomber as the friendly bomber. It's nice to have a bomber you can fly along side without him trying to blow seven shades of crap out of you. This vid gives a vague idea of what it might be like to fly a wingman mission. Obviously there are no enemy fighters, but it's quite cool tagging along while the bomber slowly ruins zie Germans. It's also funny how often I forget to refuel and find myself crashing into my own bomber and killing us both. Also added a bit of madness at the end of this video for fun. Doubt this scenario will crop up that often, but it's bloody hectic!

Lancaster Bomber (8mb HiRes WMV)

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:36 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 05:36
very nice

question for you, fallout. in the videos, there is a bit of "lurching" or speed surges on some of the planes (only player controlled planes?) at times that don't look "right". as if you're tapping the arrow left/right keys regularly? is this just a video "issue"?

Virtual Nomad
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 06:36
I'm certain that madness is the right word there. Looks intense. You sure the screen ain't getting too cluttered?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 11:35
Quote: "as if you're tapping the arrow left/right keys regularly? is this just a video "issue"?"

No. If you're talking about the bombers kinda waggling their tails as they climb and rise, that's an AI thing. The AI basically works by constantly figuring out altitude (or more accurately and angle for the planes to point at), and the waggle is just where the code is trying to home in one the desired and constantly changing angle. I should be able to sort that out by just having a theshhold, where it's close enough and doesnt bother to correct. One to address later.

Quote: "You sure the screen ain't getting too cluttered?"

Nah, it's all configurable, so I'll get the mission balance right at the end. I would anticipate the final levels of the game to have that sort of madness going on though. Can't let you guys complete it that easily!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 11:51 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 11:52
Make it as insane as you want, as long as the main focus is shooting things and avoiding bullets and not no time to shoot thing becuase avoiding aircraft.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 19:31
Quote: "You sure the screen ain't getting too cluttered?"

ya, i was thinking that it would look a little better if EVERYTHING was a little bit smaller. not just the GUI, but also everything in the game. then you would be able to see more on the ground, what is shooting at you, ect.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 11:58:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 11:58:21