Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Spitfire Maverick

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 11:35 Edited at: 1st Jan 2008 11:36
ME109s added. There are a few bits to iron out in the AI, as sometimes they'll fly themselves into trees during dogfights .... although, I do that do. In the vid, firstly you see the AI just flying and attacking ground targets (ignore the engine sound, as that's calculated from the players position and not the camera). Then you see a few dog fighting bits. The ME109 will run eventually, to avoid constantly flying round in circles trying to get a lock. Overall, they're quite tough adversaries.

ME109s (12MB HiRes WMV)

@jasonhtml - Might play with camera distance later, although it's already tough to tell ground troops apart.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 15:45 Edited at: 1st Jan 2008 15:46
Very nice, I always look forward to a Spitfire video when I log on

I think that the camera distance right now is good. I have two small recommendations though - I don't care too much for the engine exhaust, as separate little round spots they remind me of balloons somehow. A nice flow of exhaust particles would look good.

Another thing is the crash sound. I think that the sound has a lot to do with making the crashes feel like potted plants. A more airplane crash sound would be good. I found one here...

http://www.grsites.com/sounds/aircraft001.shtml

and I chopped it up a bit to come up with this...

aircraft013.wav

Maybe you can use it, maybe not. It might still be too long. I reminds me of a plane that crashes but doesn't stop moving, then the engine flies through the trees like it's possessed.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 22:59
@Cash

Yeah, I agree the crashes do need more impact, but I'm gonna address that stuff later during the polishing phase. I think I'm gonna remodel all the flat buildings etc too and work on improving the particles. Right now, I just wanna get the game finished though so it's playable, before I go back to work.

Spent a lot of today compositing and doing 2D stuff and making the menu.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 23:18
Nice! Looks very professional.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 01:25
I don't like those four planes in the sky. The rest of it looks good.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 02:10
it looks good! but i do agree with tha_rami, the planes in the sky aren't lighted correctly

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 02:21 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 02:35
i'll concur the "4 planes in the sky" look out of place. you're showing the variety and detail of the planes, which is cool, but how about taking that into a "The Airbase" gallery feature? otherwise, that menu rocks.

comments on the latest video - very good stuff, as always.

one concern i have is the "gravity" of the bullets. they drop fast. i believe you've done that to make attacking the ground-based enemies a bit easier (which turns into a sort of "bombing" mode vs a "strafing" attack), but during air-to-air combat, you've got to be above the enemy to compensate (which doesn't look right), very close behind (which i like), or tilted upward some so the bullets "land" on the enemy.

another concern is, in the videos anyway, you're firing at things that aren't on the screen yet. that's ok if they (the ground-based enemies) are on the radar/mini-map (ie, the area has been reconned). otherwise, it's a case of "memorizing the map" and knowing what's ahead. it's something that could be helped if you did decide to pull the camera back some, putting anything that you might fire upon on the screen and visible.

i almost hate to offer critiques because your "skills" and attention to detail is almost scary alas, you're updating and posting quite regularly and i expect that's because you, (atleast in part), do want to hear feedback.

also, PLEASE remember to BACK UP all of your work! i'd hate to see this go down with a power surge or HD failure!

edit: by the way:

... .--. .. - ..-. .. .-. . / .-. --- -.-. -.- ... !!! (no spell-checker for this so hope it's correct )

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 13:52
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll try and address them -

The four planes in the sky animate in the menu, dumping smoke trails and rolling about. The options also move. It's a bit more cohesive like that. The only reason why I put them in though was because the menu felt empty and I wanted to make it a bit fun. I'll have a rethink and see if I can do something else, but it looks better moving. Perhaps add another spitfire to the background image there, flying overhead.

The bullet gravity gives a bunch of things to the game, which are essential. It solves the problem of infinite bullet life which would never hit a target, and would have to be deleted after a certain time/distance. It reduces you shooting things miles off screen with fire and hope. It adds chaos, which I love. It makes the game harder (yep, it might seem easier to hit ground targets, but it's not), and basically adds a nice skill element to the game. Take out the need to learn how to shoot well, by making gravity have little or no effect, and you take out one of the main skill elements to the game. You just point and shoot, and you can master that in 5 minutes.

Now I know you're not saying take it out, just perhaps reduce it. I'll experiment with that and see if it improve it in some way. But I have to say, I always wanted it to be very hard to shoot down enemy planes. They're basically the highest level enemy, and although this clear isn't a simulation I still want to give the player a rewarding feeling for vanquishing a German ace, rather than it just being a standard affair.

Anyways, yeah, I'm quite happy to receive critiques! I can't promise I'll always act on them, cos I normally have a fairly solid idea of what I want to do, but I definitely take it all on board and make changes if the ideas work with my plans.

btw -.-- . ... / .. - / -.. --- . ... / .-.. --- .-..

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 17:19
.. .-- .... --- .-.. . .... . .- .-. - . -.. .-.. -.-- .- --. .-. . .

Can't wait to have a play with this Fallout. It is looking like a lot of fun

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 17:51
Glad you do Scraggle!

I have a question for people - what sort of music should the game have? Initially I was thinking some cool orchestral music, since it's WW2, and then I realised it's still just an arcade game. So I'm looking at the menu right now and I just wanna write some funky arcade music to pump the player up. What do you guys reckon?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 18:18
Uptempo arcade.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 18:52
Yeah. Was thinking something along the lines of this. Just an idea at the moment, but something fun.

Arcade music idea (MP3)

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 21:15
I like how every day, when I get home, I have something new to look at for this game (or listen to in this case).

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 01:45
New vids are looking great . I can't wait to play it . Any estimates on a release?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 12:29
Hmmm. Well, lemme quickly think of progress and what I'd like to do:

Need to:
- Finish menu system
- Add friendly tank unit to protect
- Write mission logic code, so that I can better control what happens (such as ensuring an allied tank advances all the time on protect tank missions, or having a counter on time based missions etc. Nothing complex, but need to think it through and get it in there)
- Add in the "character", which I was gonna do by adding a few visual. By that I mean thinks like funny radio chatter, mission briefings, and a few silly animations (like your character running and jumping into the plane before take off) - stuff like that to make it more fun.
- Some sort of game completion / victory screen or outro
- A few music tracks for mission briefing, menu, outro, mission success etc.

I'm going back to work on monday, so realistically, we're probably looking at a month. But it's mostly there now, which is great. So Feb at the earliest, and then hopefully an update later on with all these funky things ->

Like to:
- Remodel HUD
- Improve particles, crashes, visual effects
- Improve other visuals like backdrop, tree variety etc.
- Remodel all flat buildings into better looking ones
- Make custom landscape engine instead of using a matrix to improve visuals
- Add blimps/zeplins
- Add waterbased units, like submarines and battleships
- Add ME262 jet plane as ultimate enemy

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 22:42
Nothing too exciting. I'm surprised how long it takes to make bloody menus. I got rid of the animating planes and just put another spitfire in the top left corner.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 22:47
Looking slick!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 00:50
Lookin' nice, Fallout.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:39
looking much better!

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 00:53
that rocks! remains me on good old "wings of fury".
your menue screen looks really good, but one thing, the plane in the front lacks detail, it remains more on a cheap plastic model...
i did a litle search and found a more detailed one...

http://www.modellbau-paul.at/galerie03.html

everything else is Fallout quality, could not do it better myself.

cheers!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 02:52
Don't you dare turn this into another dropout for Fallout productions .

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 03:56
It's mostly finished now, but I'm back at work and I never have a spare hour during the week, except wednesdays! Finished stuff before I went back to work:
- Menu music
- Intro screen
- Mission briefing/debriefing screens
- File format for level data and loader
- Simple AI extensions to define how units move

Remaining work:
- Mission victory/loss condition code, including adding a timer to the game for some missions
- Few more menu bits
- Simple briefing, debriefing, game over and game win tunes and screens
- Develop levels
- Add a few more sounds

I estimate release of v.1 for the start of Feb.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 14:37
Okay!

* Orders the Spitfires closing in on Fallouts' location to turn back *

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 21:31
Cheers man. Don't fancy eating a 1000lb bomb just yet!

Ok, it's almost done to be honest. All I really need to do now is make the mission files, iron out a few bugs here and there, and add some sort of name entry system for the hall of fame.

Here's a kind of run-through video of the menus and stuff. Ignore the cursor as for some reason in the video it's offset and not actually on the buttons. Also the mission is a crap thing I quickly added some random values for, and won't be an actual mission.

Game Structure (11MB HiRes WMV)

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:34 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 00:39
Whoa...

Now, I mean, this is impossible. The game looks... well... near finished. Almost.

Someone wipe the harddrive! This is gonna destroy your legacy of uncompleted games, Fallout! Don't let it happen!

On a more serious note: ZOMG.

Even more serious: It looks great - but I expected no less. If anything, the 360 loop the bomber made was slightly... weird. Besides that, you get a 10/10. And maybe a quick email. If you don't get that mail, could you mail me? Get that mail finished, though. Don't stop halfway.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:40 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 00:41
Wow, this is looking better and better. Even though it obviously doesn't have the quality and size of a commercial game, it definitely has the polish of one. I can't wait for a demo . My only suggestion if not already in is make it to where you can land at your base to rearm, refuel, and repair. Anyways, great job.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:42 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 00:42
Gil, I'm most certain that the long breaks Fallout is taking in some of the videos while his bombs, fuel and ammo seem to refill is considered 'landing and rearming, refueling and repairing'.

Bomb me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: My girlfriend would prefer if you'd not do that, and bomb twenty meters besides me. Thanks.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:50 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 00:50
Quote: "Gil, I'm most certain that the long breaks Fallout is taking in some of the videos while his bombs, fuel and ammo seem to refill is considered 'landing and rearming, refueling and repairing'.
"

Ahh .

Quote: "EDIT: My girlfriend would prefer if you'd not do that, and bomb twenty meters besides me. Thanks."

Too late, I can't reprogram the missile now . Not that you were wrong, I just wanted to bomb you anyways .

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 23:01
Yes chaps, you can indeed land at the base and rearm. Infact, if you're particularly sloppy with ammo, it takes most of your bullets to bring down one enemy fighter, and you've only got three bombs. But you don't get your health back from landing, so you gotta keep ya plane intact till the end of the mission.

Anyway, the bombers do indeed do massive loop da loops, which is totally unrealistic, but I couldn't be bothered to code special turning code. You can just pretend they pull up sharply to avoid the cliffs and then bank smoothly round off screen, before coming back down. They never actually invert for all you know. Maybe it's not even the same plane. Bet you never thought of that?!!?!?

As for actually getting the game finished, OMGZOOKIES!!! ZORGAMOMGOMGOMGZOORZZZ. It may happen this weekend. It better bloody happen soon, cos I've been designing another game that I want to bloody start. Bloody bloody blood blood! I've ironed out a few more bugs tonight and started making missions, so tomoz, more work and then maybe even a demo.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 01:15
Fallout - don't drink and code.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 03:00
The man's wrist is in pain- let him do as he wishes

Hassassin MMORPG - Postponed until C++ learned for serverside
New Online Game - Designing Stage
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 07:20
Quote: "
Bloody bloody blood blood!
"

thanks for a healthy dose of blood today. i almost didn't get my fill

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 23:59
Wasn't able to find your e-mail address. Would you be so kind to e-mail me with a quick line?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 10:47
You can drop me an email at keating_simon at hotmail dot com. Now back to mission constructing!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 18:46 Edited at: 13th Jan 2008 18:47
Ok, 6 missions made and tested now. I'm aiming for about 20-30. Then I just need to have a victory screen, plus a method for entering your name into the Hall of Fame, and I'll be demo ready. Missions so far:
1. WAR FACTORY (Simple building destroy mission)
2. ENEMY RADIO RELAY (Destroy 3 radio antennas surrounded by flak)
3. ADVANCING TANKS (Eliminate tanks closing in on the base)
4. ENEMY SOLDIERS (Kill off a massive bunch of soldiers closing in on a trapped pocket of friendlies)
5. AIR SUPPORT (Assist a tank/troop squad as it assaults an enemy base defended by tanks, pillboxes, flak and troops)
6. INCOMING BOMBERS (Defeat 2 incoming enemy bombers before they cause too much damage to the base)

You can probably tell by reading that they're increasing in difficulty. I'd imagine level 30 will be something like "DEFEAT THE 8 MILLION ME109S WITH A CARROT AND THEN FLY THROUGH THE EYE OF A NEEDLE WHILE MOONING OUT OF THE COCKPIT AND THEN SLEEP WITH HITLERS WIFE", but it'll be play tested to be completable. It'll just be hardcore!

The choose level function will also allow you to pick up the game where you left off with a new set of lives, but obviously to get the highest possible score for the hall of fame, you'll need to play from level 1 and complete the lot.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 19:10
If you actually make a bonus mission like that, you're my hero.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 03:25 Edited at: 16th Jan 2008 03:25
I remember playing with toy ME109's and P-51's when I was a young kid. I always made the ME109 win

Sweet game, I'll try and be one of the first to download the demo

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 06:17
Came across a post of yours from 2002:

Quote: "Btw, my newest game is a WW2 flight simulator. I've spent ages recreating my home city using aerial photography (obviously not photos I took myself) and maps. Just need the db team to implement the free flight rotation if they ever get round to it."

Now that's fun to read .

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 10:33
Yeah, can't you see the similarities?!? My home city exists only in side on 2D, with green rolling hills. Clearly after 6 years I have finally got my game close to completion.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 11:19
And you do have those Nazi castles nearby, right?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 13:18
Of couse. My city - the last known nazi stronghold!

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 02:43
I am very impressed by what you have accomplished. Please remember to create backups, please. This is to nice to lose. I know I can't wait to try it out and see how inept I am at gaming.

Don

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 02:01
Fallout, man, finish this game already

Sig by BiggAdd.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 19:00
nice as always fallout.
will try to keep my on this now when i finally have some time to do some coding again and see wath happens at the forum.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 20:02
I think the game will be completed in March now. I don't really have time to work on it at the moment, but am gonna be taking a week off work in March. It'll definitely get done then. So about 4 more weeks to go.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 08:13
Uhoh...

Naah, take your time - I'd rather see this polished than not.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 09:09
Unfortunately (for you lot, but not for me), I'm moving house within the next week to two weeks, so can't guarantee the game will get finished during my leave. Most likely, I'll be sourcing and moving furniture, as I'm renting an unfurnished house. I still have a weeks worth of leave to take before the end of the holiday year (April 1st), so there's another window in my schedule.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 09:14
Yeah, no rush, just make sure you get it finished, we're all dying to play it.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 10:19
It looks fabulous Fallout. I too can't wait to play it.
From what I can tell, you have the game ready and it just needs more missions making to complete the product. So, why not let us have a play with what you've got so far.

Go on, you know you want to

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 09:01
Heh, what he had when Gil reviewed it was pretty good according to what Gil wrote in Untitled. I think Scraggle's right: it just needs more missions and a tweak. You should've heard Gil complain about landing, LOL. You fixed that, though, right?

Take it easy, take your time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 01:55:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 01:55:35