Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Egyptian Character Pack Preview - with advanced MELEE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 21:12
Wow!
Fantastic!
Just want to buy this as soon as possible!

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 00:59
I just watched the mummy videos, and my jaw dropped. You are making some amazing new additions to fpsc!

Skulldigs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 17:42
ok bond wonderful i cant wait for the pack but when you piss of the mummy you should have it kind of do a last ditch fury,maybe he jump towards your guy and have him ind of moan and scream.You also might wanna make a crypt creeper...

but good job you rock! love the cleo and mummy!!

plz dont be a punk and scourge me plz!!! heh heh heh tacos rule!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 08:15 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2007 08:18
I've addressed some of the earlier comments about the melee damage system not being good enough. Well I've improved it and now it is perfect!

Damage now only occurs at specific "hit" frames when the character is in attacking range. This means that no longer will your energy get drained just from standing near a melee enemy.

As you can see in the video, the mummy can repeatedly attack, but damage only happens at the "impact". This also means you can escape the attack without taking damage, as you can also see in the video. I back away just before the moment of impact, and the mummy misses. Which is fairer from a gameplay standpoint.

Take a look here, right click and "save as": http://www.hyrumark.com/perfectmelee.wmv

I'll be sending the X9 version of the pack to TGC right after Christmas, then I'll finalize the X10 version.

And for X10 owners, the Cyblob character has some hidden animations that didn't make it into the final release. When I release the X10 version of this pack I'll show you how to unlock those animations so you can have a grabbing, biting Cyblob! Thanks again for the comments.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 12:14
Looks amazing bond! Can't wait, and you really have made melee look decent on this engine now

Tyrano

The one... The only...

...Oh wait theres a dinosaur too...
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 14:06
Its getting better and better!

alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
Just checked the video, it's very nice, the mummy looks kinda funny when it walks.

BUY ALIEN ENTITY PACK HERE : [url]www.freewebs.com/alimpo83[/url]
Check my X10 WW2 Pack here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=120345&b=3
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 21:44
Quote: "Just checked the video, it's very nice, the mummy looks kinda funny when it walks."

I lone how it gets back up as well, i can imagine a freaked noob shooting it down them turning to exit the room, only to have it get 'em from behind,roflol.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 21:52
The new animations are even better - nice work!

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 12:59
Holy cow. It's amazing! When do we get this?

beachbar
Years of Service
User Offline
They look great!
Any word on when TGC will release these.
Thanks
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 21:10
I noticed that the mummy escaped it's shadow the first time you shot it.

keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 21:17
As a freak for all things Egypt, I can't wait for this pack to come out. This is a wonderful complement to model pack 8. My credit card is standing by ...

Keith
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 02:01 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 02:03
Quote: "I noticed that the mummy escaped it's shadow the first time you shot it. "

That's been fixed now I'll have more info very shortly.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 02:24 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 02:29
Thank you everyone for the interest so far. The pack will be released and available for purchase mid-January.

For now, here are some updated X9 preview videos of a handful of the characters in action, I love the second encounter! And pics of all 30 characters. I'll post an X10 video preview next week.

High-def version, 100mb:
http://www.hyrumark.com/egyptianpreviewHD.zip

DVD-quality version, 50mb:
http://www.hyrumark.com/egyptianpreviewDVD.zip

Lower-res version, 20mb:
http://www.hyrumark.com/egyptianpreviewLOW.zip

Features of the pack:

*30 new characters, with 31 all-new animations in addition to the standard animations.
*Melee attacking, featuring bona-fide "hit frames", so that damage is only dealt to the player when appropriate.
*Characters react to being shot, and will change their behavior depending on how much damage they take.
*Decoy characters (living statues) that only come alive when the player gets close - see video preview

Some pics, these aren't just beauty renders, they are actual frames of the new animations.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 02:39
Beautiful.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 04:36
I am speechless. The models... the different textures... the animations... this is incredible!

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 07:04 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 07:05
my money is already set aside and waiting for mid Jan

Anja Viotile
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 08:47 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 08:52
i think the damaging looks weird? O.o
also the speed of that axe swing wouldn cause that much damage..

But for the modelling and texturing.. Nice job.

Edit:
Are you using transparency map for the fingers?

Visit us at
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 11:48 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 11:54
Quote: "also the speed of that axe swing wouldn cause that much damage.. "

I guess I'm not aware of the exact amount of damage a two handed axe swing to face would cause. I would have thought it would be much more, or even instant death, but what do I know. Maybe some World of Warcraft geek could let me know, although I'm sure the amount of damage depends on whether or not they're wearing the "cloak of dorkiness".

The scripts can be altered by the user to fine tune the amount of damage...

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 17:54
Quote: "I guess I'm not aware of the exact amount of damage a two handed axe swing to face would cause. I would have thought it would be much more, or even instant death, but what do I know. Maybe some World of Warcraft geek could let me know, although I'm sure the amount of damage depends on whether or not they're wearing the "cloak of dorkiness"."
lol, I think you'd want to consult with your DM on that.,If we buy the pack would we receive the .bip and/or the .max files?

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 18:30
Love the models!
And variations in textures.

Watched the video..and the statue was something that would fit perfect in most of the games.

Also i like the script that he just walks and swings with an [depends on what character] axe so calm....
but when he got shot that he reacts to it...and goes for the kill.

Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 19:18
Quote: "my money is already set aside and waiting for mid Jan "

Mine too

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 19:48
Quote: "I think you'd want to consult with your DM on that."

Actually, according to the latest Players Handbook I have (v 3.5); a normal 2-Handed Axe (or Great Axe) would deal 1d10 worth of Damage(S) and 1d12 worth of Damage(M)...with a critical of x3.

However; if you have Weapon Specialization as a Feat, you can add +2 to the Damage...if you have Greater Weapon Specialization, you can add +4 to the Damage taken.

Now; we can see that with a perfect (critical) strike, the Damage potential goes all the way up to a possible 40 Points worth of damage! Unless a player has a significant way to reduce the damage taken...I can't see the survival rate, from such a blow, as very high.

So, in fact, I think I've proven that Bond's Character can in fact deal a significant amount of damage.

Case closed.

-Keith

(Please note that the above does not take into consideration any enhancements to either the weapon, or the player's attack roll.)

Negative Image
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 20:15
Count another pack SOLD!
Looks Great!!!

www.negative-image.biz
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 22:07
as you all know im a black belt in tom foolary but what you may not know is that i also train in the secret art of anti axe head kung fu & as the world master i can say that a blow like that to my hardened skull would do me no harm what so ever but to your avarage game Character it would leave a bit of a bump
i hope this helps clear this matter up .

oh by the way nice pack bond1

cheers henry

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 00:15 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 00:18
Keith and i want to game, you guys are awesome. I was going to mention something about consulting a DM but I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about... I haven't played that since high school.

As for releasing the animations, I'm still undecided. Some of the .bip files alone wouldn't be of any use, since some of the characters rely on constraints and IK blending that can only be saved in a .max file, which I really don't want to release. I think a nice compromise would be ro release one or two of the simpler .bip files that CAN be used by themselves so users can make their own characters and use the scripts. But right now I'm leaning toward releasing them on a individual request basis.

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 00:59
Great job bond1! That statue part was the best in the vid. I love all the animations and sounds!

Snipe to Success
AOTD Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
I haft to say...DAM good job man excellent! 10/10 in my opinion.

First project coming soon.
Scif. Base game
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 02:45
Looks tasty, thought from what I can see, all the models look way too clean. I mean, there's barely any realistic grunge on them.

Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 04:26
I just love them , very nice work man !

Btw , have you created different models for x9 ? Or are they all the same ? Sorry if it's already been asked.

Rise and shine Fpsc x10...rise and shine.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 07:37 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 11:05
Quote: "Looks tasty, thought from what I can see, all the models look way too clean. I mean, there's barely any realistic grunge on them."

Indeed, the only one I used any type of grunge on was the mummy. It was just a personal preference, I really wanted a clean and vibrant "technicolor" look, like those old sword-and-sandal movies from the 1960's.

But I guess anyone that knows a bit about texturing could add their own grunge for a dirtier look, it being much easier to add grunge than to take it away. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote: "Btw , have you created different models for x9 "

These models and videos ARE from X9! They are surprisingly low poly. The X10 version will be the same, but will have diffuse/normal/specular textures, and higher resolution textures for some characters too.

Of course , for X10 the characters will have ragdoll deaths, and will drop their weapons, and in some cases the weapon will spin and bounce across the floor, it looks really cool! I'll post a video clip next week.

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 08:11
Awesome cant wait

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )Please join groves inc.....World domination
Anja Viotile
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 09:18
i dont say he didnt do a great job.. and i meant the one handed axe it swings abit slow.

Anyways bond did u use transparency map on the fingers? i think they look abit straight when they grip.. maybe an extra polygonslice to give them the last bend?

Visit us at
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 10:27 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 10:29
I didn't use any transparency on these models at all. And you're right, another finger link would make the grip look better, and believe me, I notice those little details too.

And it's those little details that can drive you crazy if you let them, there's ALWAYS something that could be imiproved, but at some point I decided they were release-worthy. When I was asked to do this pack there were a few personal goals I wanted to make:

-Best looking AND best functioning enemy melee in FPSC so far - I think I've done that.

-More varied animations beyond the same tired old FPSC animations

-More complex character rigs: animated breasts, mouth animations, animated IK blending as the character shifts from holding the weapon with both hands, to one hand, to both hands again.

Anyway, the files have been sent off to TGC for the mid-January release. Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and support.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 16:51 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 16:54
Quote: "i dont say he didnt do a great job.. and i meant the one handed axe it swings abit slow."

I don't think anyone took offense to your remark, Anja...I was just having a bit of fun with you.

You must be making a decent second income off of these packs, Bond...not to mention a nice portfolio. What are your plans career-wise? Are you planning on working for a studio someday, or just freelance work?

Perhaps you and Jon should think about starting up a joint-owned Studio?

-Keith

Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 18:03
Quote: "And it's those little details that can drive you crazy if you let them."

Usually these little details drive you crazy if you are a modeler or you've had some experience in modeling.
Most of my friends who play games don't pay attention on such things.

Quote: "there's ALWAYS something that could be imiproved"

Always...

Quote: "-Best looking AND best functioning enemy melee in FPSC so far - I think I've done that."

I agree. All models are top class! They are even better than most of the commercial ones I've seen!

Quote: "Perhaps you and Jon should think about starting up a joint-owned Studio?"

Nice idea!

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 19:24
Its amazing!

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:23 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 10:48
Quote: "You must be making a decent second income off of these packs, Bond...not to mention a nice portfolio. What are your plans career-wise? Are you planning on working for a studio someday, or just freelance work?"

Thanks Keith. I would like to be able to support myself and family doing this stuff, I'm not there yet, but maybe someday.

I used to think working for a big studio or game company would be the ultimate dream job. After doing some research and hearing from some professionals though, I don't think it's for me. From what I hear, a game artist is a small cog in a very large machine. Months of continuous crunch time away from family, frequent layoffs or lost jobs because of scrapped projects, etc. It would be an awesome career for a young single guy in their twenties, who can pack up and move in a moment's notice. But not so cool for a 32 year old married guy...

Plus I absolutely love the creative freedom of freelancing. I can model, texture, rig, and animate the way I want for the most part. In most big studios now these are totally separate jobs; that would not be as fun for me, and would take away a lot of the magic out of the whole process. Plus I really love the indi-scene.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 03:30
Quote: "But I guess anyone that knows a bit about texturing could add their own grunge for a dirtier look, it being much easier to add grunge than to take it away. Thanks for the feedback."

Good point, I agree.

Pryamid head
Years of Service
User Offline
Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, Bond1, in all honesty, there is nothing you touch that is ever the same after you're done! The fact that the models are that detailed in-game...you should seriously consider applying for a major developer.
wgreg2001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 16:46
Fantastic Pack I need it for my game I am creating
let me know when it is ready

warren gregory
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 17:43
Love the Anibus looking character Bond. One question though: On the female character, did they use a "sai" in ancient Egypt?

Nice detail though on all. You can see why it's taken this long on 6 characters. Wonderfully done.

Loc

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 18:34 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 18:41
Thanks Locrian.

Quote: "One question though: On the female character, did they use a "sai" in ancient Egypt?"

I was waiting for someone to say something. I don't think so since it's a japanese weapon, but it was inspired from this scene in the "Mummy Returns".

I would have easily had this out before X-Mas but was sidetracked along the way by a few X10 "emergencies"...

But the animations did take a big chunk of time - which is something that I think people kind of take for granted - even though it takes just as much work as the modeling or texturing. And I think I'm a little guilty of that too, spoiled by TGC releasing over 90 seconds of animation for free. Even though the FPSC animations aren't perfect, I think they are very good for what they are - it's just that no matter how good that 25 frame walk cycle looked at first, after seeing it for the millionth time it starts to look pretty lame. I'm starting to ramble...

Anyway, I'll be posting an X10 preview pretty soon, I'm fighting with DarkAi at the moment trying to get my script to work in X10. That's one thing I like about X9, the scripting. DarkAi hard codes a lot of character behaviour, so it makes it harder to get custom stuff going. Hopefully a lot of those DarkAI commands will be unlocked so users can start scripting some of that stuff.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 21:53 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 22:00
Quote: "DarkAi hard codes a lot of character behaviour, so it makes it harder to get custom stuff going. Hopefully a lot of those DarkAI commands will be unlocked so users can start scripting some of that stuff."

I hope so too.

Bond, I love your work. This recent update with the characters screen shots is awesome.

Anyone who doesn't want this pack has got to be crazy, lazy, or just insane.

What is going to be your next theme?

If you are taking suggestions, then might I suggest Gladiators.
I know, I know, this is a Melee based pack so you have to go back to some Sci-Fi thingy or something for the Guns.
I just thought I would throw it out there anyway, but if I had to suggest a gun based theme then I would say Western.
I can't wait to see whats next because you are getting better and better and this stuff now looks excellent!
It doesn't matter to me what theme you pick as long as you keep cranking it out, because I know its going to be great.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Conjured. Well I have a pretty good backlog of Fantasy characters just sitting on my hard drive. They need a little tightening up, but they would work really well with these Egyptian animations just by altering a few keyframes. Knights and barbarians and dwarves with swords and axes, etc.

Including this guy, I think having him go totally ballistic when he sees you would be cool:

After that, I'm not sure. I've got a whole lot of things I want to try out.

Erpt 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:33
This is amazing
MBG Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:46
you are the god of modelling