Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBPro] TERSCULPT

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 09:25
Hi Sid, sorry I missed this.

The GUI buttons data are stored in a typed array, holds the name of each 'function' but also is used to set the brush mode. I'd probably use the function name to find the relevant brush mode, but really I'd have to look over the code to be much help, will have a look tonight and explain how it all works.

I think the RTS camera should stay, still best suited to RTS games I think.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem, I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Okay, it stays then.

I put in movement controls for WSAD now too, however it messed up your hotkeys over there. It's on my list to redo them, so don't panic when you see them gone temporarily.

Oh, and the menu functions are in menufunctions.dba. Just so you know

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Any progress on that explanation?

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 16:37
Sorry Sid, been busy the last couple of nights.

I'll look into it as soon as I get home, so hopefully in about 2 hours.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 18:08 Edited at: 21st Mar 2008 18:10
Ok, couple of options I think Sid...

Firstly the reason why the GUI buttons don't have the same problem is that there's a mouse pointer range check (if mx<136 and my<648) so any clicking inside this area is ignored. Obviously this is not ideal for a right click menu, or any menu system for that matter. So, how did I avoid this same problem in the menus?

There is a function called dampinput(), this will simply loop until no keyboard or mouse button is being pressed, so it would wait until the mouse button is released before continuing. I'd just call this right after the user is done selecting from the menu. This is how I avoid the issue in the menus, so it makes sense that it will work out for your right click menus too.

The other option is to check the last state of the mouse button, the variable 'lastmb' stores the previous mouse state, so if you did a quick check before placing an object, say 'if mb=1 and lastmb=0' - that would avoid it, but is probably not as robust as the dampinput() function.

The hotkeys you've disabled are annoying huh, what I suggest is that you change the code to check for the control key as well, that way you would press CTRL+S for smooth mode for example, should free up the keyboard for your own hotkey needs as well. I'd just change the code to this:

If controlkey()=1
if i$="R" then brushmode=1
if i$="L" then brushmode=2
if i$="F" then brushmode=3
if i$="S" then brushmode=4
if i$="P" then brushmode=10
endif

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey thanks for the explanation, I'll work on applying this stuff later on today.

It's not that the hotkeys were annoying, it's that I needed room for the WSAD keys for movement. Two of the largest reasons that FPS games have the control scheme WSAD instead of the arrow keys is quick access to the numerous keys around it, and the hands aren't squeezed together and it's more comfortable. I'll either add in the control key to fix that, or I'll use the keys around the WSAD in a fashion that makes the most sense. Not sure yet, but I'll add it back it, don't worry

Oh, and roger on the RTS Camera. I'll keep it

Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks excellent although being a total noob most of the code goes over my head.

I have had a couple of problems running it, not sure if it is something I am doing wrong. When I try the Export A.T. selection I get an error:- Runtime Error 500 - Unknown image error at line 1254. This is using Van's latest version.

Also when I try to run Sid's version it won't compile and I get this error:- Could not determine parameter type of 'Find Free Object(504,262144)' at line 689.

Any ideas?
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 08:15
I haven't used this application yet, but judging by the video, it looks like an immensely well put together bit of kit.

I think it looks superb and I can't wait to think of a project that will make good use of terrains now

The editor seems to look and react in a very professional manner and should you come to the next convention I will buy you a beer .

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 16:30 Edited at: 25th Mar 2008 16:41
@Krisper: You'll need the Matrix1 .dll for my version. I use a special command from that set called Find Free Object, which does just that.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18

I'm not sure about Van's error, he'll have to answer for you there.

Also a note, the default resolution for that program is currently 1440,900. You might need to reduce that in the code to something smaller if your system can't support it.

@Mnemonix: It's the best one I've used so far, and it's open source to boot! I need to get back to coding the object placement stuff though, I've been a bit busy with work.

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Van, the dampinput() function did zippo for the problem... I'm not sure why, in theory it would have worked. There must still be something getting past it though. I put it in various spots in the menufunction.dba code. At the beginning of the command(chosen$) function and at the end of it and also in the if statement that calls the command function.

Plan b doesn't work either, partly because I already have 'if lastmb=0' in brushmode code.

If you get a change the next day or so, please take a quick look at it. I'm once again frustrated

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 18:16
Got my first chance to look at your editor today and was really impressed. Top class job Van B, very professional!

Love the way community members are releasing project code for others to use, learn from and expand on. All helps to keep this the most vibrant gaming community out there!

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 20:41
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I couldn't replicate that error, sorry! - I loaded up my version, generated a pit terrain and it exported perfectly to A.T.
Can you try that too just to see if that works, also what display settings are you using?

Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 23:33 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 01:14
I really hate bothering you guys with these trivial things.

@Van
I managed to generate some A.T. terrains OK, and I also got that error a few more times as well. I couldn't really find a pattern to what caused the error. My display settings were at 1280x1024x32. I'm getting around 300fps and around 200fps while editing and painting. The terrains look so much better using your engine than the A.T. so I am not going to bother with that feature anyway. For some reason any paths I painted on didn't show up on the AT colormap at all.

On an unrelated matter, not knowing anything about shaders I don't know if these are stupid suggestions or not. I think it was somewhere in this forum http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100645&b=1&p=7 where GG was posting his shaders that people mentioned that the bumpmapping didn't make much difference so it was taken out. I thought the bumpmapping made quite a big difference and I was wondering if it can be added back. I also liked the version that had the light revolving around the landscape. I would like to have a moving sun in my terrain and the way that moving light lit the terrain was excellent. Is this possible at all too?

Sorry, one more thing, what's the diff between TERSCULPT_Engine and TERSCULPT_TiledEngine?

@Sid
Thanks for the Matrix1.dll link, that stopped that error but now I get this:- "Subscript must be Integer or DWORD when referencing an array inside menufunctions.dba". It just stops compiling, no line numbers or anything. I did change the screen res too. Maybe I am running the wrong version? My version is 6.6.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 09:52
Sounds like you have a bloomin monster of a PC Krisper, care to post your specs, just so we can feel jealous! .

The A.T. export is fairly lame, handy in itself but the actual colour map is rubbish - you'd be much better off using an external program to render the heightmap to a colour map. Perhaps someone will make a new colour map generator for it.

The other shaders GG made fit different needs, but unfortunately because Tersculpt relies on 2 colour masks and uses 6 textures, there's no space for other texture maps. The normal mapping for example, would need another 6 free texture slots, so it's impossible to use that. The day/night version uses automatic texturing. Really the shader is not ideal because it doesn't support fog or lighting, it probably could, but I'm the sort of person who is just glad they could get it using 6 textures! - shader coding is very much a mystery to me. If I knew more about shaders I'd probably have a few variations.

Tersculpt_Engine and Tiled Engine work on the same principles, but with very different benefits. The standard engine uses 1 big mesh which deminishes in resolution towards the outer edges, so it kinda saves on polies by halving the resolution. This engine is designed for RTS games where the camera is looking down on it the whole time, the terrain mesh is moved periodically with the camera. The tiled engine uses an object with lots of square patches, these are repositioned as the camera moves. Tiled engine will give you control over how many tiles are used, so you can increase or decrease the terrain range - this method is better for FPS games.

Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, my mobo died last year so I gave it a long overdue rebuild. It's got a Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz CPU, 2Gb of PC6400 Ram, and a GF 8800 GTS 640Mb Graphics card.

Thanks for the explanations re the shaders and your engines. I think TERSCULPT is excellent and will keep using it. Hopefully I'll understand it all one day.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 06:47
Needs to be one for FPS Creator. Lol I love your work though man, keep it up!

DevilMouse Developments Lead Developer
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 09:17
You know I actually looked into an export for FPSC, but when I loaded the .DBO back in it was all black. I was thinking that a section of terrain could be exported for use in FPSC, if I get the time I'll look into this again.

Venture
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys are awesome, this is a wonderful tool.

@Sid, Your last update doesnt work for me. I just get a black screen.
Any ideas??
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 14:34
You can easily do fog like this.

This is linear fog, but you can easily make it exponential.
You might want to tweak the fog settings a bit though.

Nice program btw!

Kevil
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Well guys, school is starting back up Monday and I've just started a new job. I pretty much didn't get anywhere close to where I thought I would be by the end of break with Tersculpt but what's a man to do...

I'll try and work on it still and at least finish up the object placement stuff. I don't think I'm going to be the one to make an object browser though. This is best left up to someone else.

No projected date on when the full next version will be out (I did release a half update above).

Fog would be cool. Can I color it?

Side question: Is it possible to bake all the textures together into one texture?

Quote: "Sounds like you have a bloomin monster of a PC Krisper, care to post your specs, just so we can feel jealous!"

He also has VR equipment!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 15:01
@Kevil - Thanx for posting that linear fog tweaked shader - I can't wait to try it out. (Not a Shader Coder yet) Fog on Shader enabled stuff (water in my case) has been a HUGE ISSUE for me... I'm going to see what I can do about implementing the FOG parts once I figure out what is what - and apply it to a water shader - I need fog enabled WATER so BADLY for both underwater and Over water... THANX! Wish Me Luck!

(Sorry to go off topic a bit here)

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 15:05
Awesome Kevil thanks for that , I did attempt to add fog myself, but it didn't go well!

I'll see about making the fog configurable in DBPro and upload a new engine test for it.

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 16:09 Edited at: 28th Mar 2008 18:18
Oh whoops.

Sorry, I was in inefficient mode.
You can of course calculate the fog factor in the vertex shader and interpolate. This should be faster (usually).

EDIT: I forgot to say that I cheated a bit by not using the actual distance to calculate the fog, but the z-depth. I don't think it's noticeable though.

Kevil
AlexK
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great unfortunetely:
"Error 1507: Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware at line 0" xD
Does anyone have any idea how I could go around this? First time I have a prob running something made in DB.

Other than that I watched the video and it looks really pro! Must have taken alot of time.

Alex
Venture
Years of Service
User Offline
Strange, i seem to have the same problem when i try to compile the code.

Van B, Sid?? any help on this.

Also i still get a black screen when i try to run the .exe.

Could it be we are missing a .dll or something to make this run? If i run the original version that Van posted, it works fine.
AlexK
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anyway you could repost the original one Van if it worked for Venture?

Because I searched the forum and found no solution to this. It can't be my hardware because even though it's a laptop it's new and I've never had any probs with running DBPro stuff. I tried modifying my desktop settings as well as the settings in the DBPro editor. Tried about every possible solution, nothing works.
Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 03:54 Edited at: 30th Mar 2008 03:56
more noob questions here ... I am wondering the best way to use a terrain I build with TERSCULPT in my program. I used the TERSCULPT_Engine to make a dbo of the terrain, but I can't work out how to texture this object once I have created it. All I get is a black terrain. I have been trying this code:-

Or is there a better way to load a terrain that I make in TERSCULPT? I don't really need it to move and update with the camera, just a fixed size terrain will do. I need to set it up for Sparky's collision and use my own player controls. I am totally confused by the camera controls in TERSCULPT. If anyone can advise me I'd really appreciate it.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 15:50
Krisper,
The problem is that you can't really make it into a single mesh because the polycount would be too high, I think it would be best if you could adopt one of the engine techniques. When you save your terrain as a DBO, it's probably too small for your needs. It would be best if there was an export function to spit out the individual pieces of terrain for the whole level, then set these up for Sparky's and then hide them, and use on of the engine methods. It's not a good idea having the shader working on several objects you see.

One other option might be to use advanced terrain, but actually apply the shader to it, Sparky's can adopt advanced terrain I think, been so long since I used it I can't remember.

Alex, the resolution is actually specified with code, these globals are declared really early in the program, you should change them to suit your own resolution:

global screenw=1280
global screenh=1024
global screend=32

AlexK
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup I forgot to mention I also saw those and tried to modify them. The result was the same. I put 1280x800 (wich is what I always use on my laptop) and tried 32 and 16 for screenD. Also tried 800x600.
Anyway I read that if the hardware can't support the specified resolution DB put it on default resolution no?

Also I am under Vista, maybe that could be the problem. But as I said havn't had any probs with DBP yet.

Weird
Definitely can't get it to work. It's not really that important since I'm not designing maps right now. But I wanted to give it a try.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
I had problems with the resolution myself for the longest time and I was the one working on it lol! Turns out I had to set the resolution in the editor settings correctly as well as in the code.

But most likely your problem is simpler like Van B pointed out with just changing the in code resolution. Don't forget, the default in Tersculpt is 1440 x 900, you'll most likely have to change that.

AlexK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Sid! That was it, I had to set them both, in the code and the editor. Should have thought about it!

I took a quick look and it looks really cool
I will play with it later!
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 22:47
Does anyone know why my GUI wouldn't be working? I have left the defalt GUI there, but have also added a custom one made in GUI Studio. It is sprite based, all the necessary files are there, but it doesn't appear on screen.

Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 04:47 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 05:21
One other option might be to use advanced terrain, but actually apply the shader to it, Sparky's can adopt advanced terrain I think, been so long since I used it I can't remember.
Thanks again for the explanations Van. I am using an advanced terrain at the moment and I have it working fine with Sparky's Collision.

In GG's demos there is an example with an advanced terrain with his Blended Bump Map shader. Using that example I have tried to use the shader from TERSCULPT on the advanced terrain but all I can get is a black terrain. I have tried a lot of different things but with no luck. I suspect it may have something to do with images 10 and 11 being made from a memblock. I can't figure that part out yet.

I was wondering if anyone else has managed to use the shader from TERSCULPT on an advanced terrain?

It's not like I want anything special, just a super detailed terrain with realistic water, a really nice sky with a moving sun that casts shadows on the ground, trees and grass that sway in the breeze ... to begin with. That should be pretty easy.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's not like I want anything special, just a super detailed terrain with realistic water, a really nice sky with a moving sun that casts shadows on the ground, trees and grass that sway in the breeze ... to begin with. That should be pretty easy."

LOL . Yeah... that's what we all thought going into things too haha

@Wilderbeast: No idea dude, van might be able to help you there.

@Krisper: This might have nothing to do with what your problem is, but I'll give it a shot. Van modified GG's shader so it can use double the amount of textures GG's shader could do. Also, can't you only apply one shader to an object, or something like that? I have no idea, but I seem to remember having heard that somewhere. Hope that helped a litte... chances are it didn't though! In that case, sorry, that's about all I had lol.

Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 07:50 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 10:15
Quote: "Also, can't you only apply one shader to an object, or something like that?"

I am only trying to apply one shader, just trying to use the one in TERSCULPT instead of GG's original one. I am using some of the code from TERSCULPT_Engine, the load images and shader stuff, and trying to apply that to an advanced terrain similar to the way GG's was applied in his example. If that makes sense. I am not sure if the problem is because in TERSCULPT there are images 1 - 6 loaded and used to texture the terrain,

but there are also images 10 and 11 used to texture the terrain too, and these images are made from memblocks.

I think these must be the 2 colormasks and without them the shader is not going to work properly. How I would make these colormasks when using an advanced terrain, I have no idea. I'll keep experimenting.

EDIT:- I am usually a bit slow ... got the function convert_termap() to create the colourmask images for me and the shader is now working.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to hear =]

I'm knee deep in schoolwork already and today was just the first day . I have no idea when I'll be able to finish the object placement stuff. I got it pretty far already and it should be pretty easy for someone else to pick up if they want to.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 17:52 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 17:53
I don't have time to read all the previous posts, so someone MAY have alreay posted this, but...

when I try to use the "Export A.T." option, the program closes and I get an error message saying
"Unknown image error at line 1254"
But whats really wierd is that it only does that for certain terrains, If I start a new one, mess it around a bit, then try "Export A.T." it works fine. But on certain terrains, (Mainly the big one for a valley I made for my game) it crashes and kicks up that error message.

Whats REALLY weird is that I CHECKED that line in the code, and it has nothing to do with images!

Everything else works just fine so far, and this a really nice program. But I just can't figure outwhy its doing that!

...but I am the ferret king!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! tremble before my ferret minions!

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
If Van doesn't reply in 24 hours, email him. He's the best man to answer that for you, as I've pretty much unwrapped my mind around Tersculpt.

Krisper
Years of Service
User Offline
@Omega gamer 89. I get the same error too, although not all the time. I have already asked Van about it, he said he couldn't replicate the error.

I am using an Advanced Terrain, but I am just exporting a height map from TERSCULPT. I have also modified the TERSCULPT_Engine to generate the 2 Colourmap images needed by the shader and then texture the A.T with the same images and shader as TERSCULPT. Works a treat.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone who has their head around this code can make a custom tool? I want a tool that will make a smooth ramp from a high level to a low level. I have 2 flat areas, one quite a bit higher than the other. At the moment the drop from one to the other is quite steep. I want to make it a lot shallower but using the current tools it is really difficult to make a nice smooth slope from one height to the other. I am sure it would be a useful tool for others as well.
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 19:04
huh. well. what if I upload the tersculpt file? Then maybe Van could see if the error comes up when using it? Unfortunately, I don't have the file on me right now, and I don't have internet access at home, AND This is my last day of classes until the 17th!
BUT if I DO get it uploaded, will some of you take a look at it?

...but I am the ferret king!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! tremble before my ferret minions!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 09:26
If you can upload it Omega, I'll take a look.

I'll also see if I can error-proof the export code.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 21:40
One thing for the future might be faster saving of terrains maybe? I raised the ground slightly, painted it with sand and saved it, and it took about 5 minutes to save with the file being about 7MB. Wouldn't it be both easier and quicker if saving and loading was just done with heightmaps and colourmaps?

Anyway, great job

When will object placement be added?

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 17:51 Edited at: 17th Apr 2008 17:51
Okay, van, here's the .TER file. Like I said, whenever I try to export A.T., it crashes and gives that error message. Sorry I took so long to upload this, I was on break from school and don't have internet at home.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if it would be ok if I rewrote your code to suit the needs of my world editor. It would only be taking the basic setup and i would give you credit for its development. Its just there are some other features I want and I also feel like I could learn a lot by breaking down and re-writing some of your code.

The admiral
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 13:40
Very nice of you to ask... (ground starts to vibrate, then shake, then a DEEP, SLOW, Scary Loud voice begins to speak...)

"It's OPEN SOURCE - HAVE a GREAT TIME WITH IT"

LOL - Let's see what ya got Admiral

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
The Admiral, knock yourself out. The only thing I'd ask of you though is that when it is done, you post it along with the source code for people to use. Tersculpt was based with Open Source in mind, and hence any updates/changes to the source code must be made public. Van hasn't registered it under the GNU (I think thats the initials) license (which he should), but that's pretty much the word of mouth agreement for the program.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 01:28
Good points Sid - Did you know that google has free hosting for open source stuff now? I imagine Source Forge is free - but google has less ad's.

Maybe Van and you should start that up - and then that manage itself more or less - you just give a few people you trust the keys to it - and away you go Then everyone can contribute - and you can filter out buggy code - and roll good changes into "versions" just a thought.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wondering how do I export a map containing all the painting ive done to the terrain it never seems to show the paint job ive done.

The admiral
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 21:11
You need to export as an Advanced Terrain (AT).

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 19:27
Hello? Van? its been six days. I uploaded my .TER file in my last post. Have you tried it yet?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:34:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:34:35