Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 04:29 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:21
I haven't played either.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@sinister
No, I haven't played those, could you explain them?

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 22:07 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:21
Yes. Please do.

[edit]

I'm going to begin work on a system that will treat all sprites as solid. As in, you can jump on top of them.

[edit 2] -----IMPORTANT (well pretty)-----
How do I keep the "|" from going into the other sprite? I want it to stay on top, but not decrease the fall speed.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 23:11
Well slash the building is in japanese but the game is so simple that it doesn't matter. It's also a bit weird. You are a stickman samurai and you can jump really high (obviously). All these buildings are falling out of the sky and the aim is to slash as many buildings into pieces before you get crushed. The only controls are left/right (totally pointless), jump and slash. If you type slash the building in google search and choose the second on the list you can see sreenshot, reviews and download it I think. It looks like something that can be easily done with sprites.

N is a flash game but you have to download it to play and I thought it would still be good to look at. In this game you are in control of a stick-figure-like ninja. The aim is to get him to the door to before time runs out and he dies (he only has a 90 second lifespan). But this is not as easy it sounds because inbetween you, the door and the key are an arsenal of awesome anti-ninja... things. Like mines and lasers and drones and stuff. Also there is gold, which increases his life by 2 seconds and is always good to collect. The game does however have some very complicated stuff like ragdoll physics, bouncy blocks that can be displaced by landing on them or jumping off them before they assume their original position (the physics is awesome) and heat-seaking misiles. This game would be very complicated to attempt so it should just be used to get ideas from. I don't think we'll be able to do something as good as that. It comes with hundreds of levels and user made levels (some of which are mind blowing) and an editor. If u think you can withstand the addiction then chei jfound myself think "awesome, I wish I could make something like that". Maybe playing it will give you some ideas. Well the official N website is at www.harveycartel.org/metanet/ and NUMA (N User Map Archive) is at numa.notdot.net

any questions?

[UNERROR 16: able to retrieve user signature]
1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55... you like?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 08:56 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 09:04
Well, the N game seems interesting, definitely too complex. It did remind me of a flash game I played a while back that I think would make an interesting project, I will see if I can find the link for it. Essentially you are a box and your goal is to get through the different levels. The catch is that you can't touch any obstacles, and those range from stationary to large moving formations (might want to skip that part at first). Another catch is that you can't get to the ending point and finish the level unless you collect all the dots (kinda like coins or whatever).

So you have to start out, collect the dots while avoiding the obstacles, and then get to the exit point. Just an idea.

[Edit]
Here is the link
http://www.addictinggames.com/theworldshardestgame.html

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 13:01
@sinister
N doesn't have to be downloaded, you can play it at various sites accross the internet, e.g.
N Game at Addicting Games

But the downloaded version is better, and still free.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 16:21 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:21
@BN2

I've played that game before! When I saw it the first time, I'm like, "I could do this..."

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 17:26 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 17:41
@Nano
I know you can play it online but those are copies made by other people. I remember the makers of N saying it's sad that most people's only experience of N will be the online versions.

N may also be available for PSP, Nintendo DS and possibly Xbox... But they are making a new awesomer game which looks like it will be incredible.

@BN2
I'll check that game out on monday hopefully, if not then wednesday :/
But the idea sounds good. I think something like that is the perfect idea for team -what is the name?- to work on! You know, something unbelievably simple yet unbelievable fun... Kind of like this puzzle game (it's a board game) that I know. It's so simple so I thought I'd convert it into a PC game... I might still do it. But if team -what is the name?- does make something we should go about it in as organised way as possible so that it doesn't end up, again, like Irojo makes the whole game before you say go and then that's it... Nothing against Irojo, good person, maybe just a bit overzealous but if there aren't that many people then everyone can get a larger portion of work to do and Irojo can still do lot's of work! He'd probably like that...

organised.
organised.
organised.

EDIT:
shouldn't we advertise this thread in DBpro and Newcomers Corner aswell? Why wasn't put in Newcomers Corner in the first place? Maybe we can move there. But if there is a reason why not then we can stay but surely we should invite people from other boards aswell?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 17:55 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:21
Newcomers is for DBpro. DBpro forum is again, DBpro. We're doing DBC.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 19:09 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:22
So... what do you think?
The simple physics are done. Beat it without using 'g', which i used for debugging. HINT: "1"!!!!

The physics work, so it treats every single box the same. It takes seconds to add in hundreds of more platforms using for...next.

It definetly needs some work.

The hard part is, you can't essentially jump.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 20:17
Sounds cool, I'll check it out on monday (unless you or somebody else attaches a textfile with your code )

Quote: "Newcomers is for DBpro. DBpro forum is again, DBpro. We're doind DBC."

...and?

Do you hate DBpro or something? I use it but so what? Nobody cares really and at this scale I don't think it makes a difference, I even entered a challenge on the DBC board with my DBpro generated code, so I see no reason why all the DBpro users shouldn't be allowed to join in aswell. Unless you want it to be cosy or something?

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 21:14
Well, if a DBPro user comes, he/she might use DBP only commands, that us DBC users can't use.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 22:59 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:22
I don't hate DBpro. I just thought the code would be in DBC, so we couldn't really advertise for it on a pro forum.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 00:50 Edited at: 4th Aug 2008 00:53
Name atleast 1 command, that we would be likeley to use, that does not occur in both versions?

Obviously there are differences, for example they changed the networking commands. But honestly, are we gonna be networking?

DBC & DBP are not totally different. I think they are similar enough that alot of code will work on both, other code will work on both when slightly modified and little code is not supported by DBC.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 04:00 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:22
We could try perhaps... Does it follow the rules to post it in DBpro forums though, if you are only allowed to use DBC commands?

Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 04:52
Quote: "Does it follow the rules to post it in DBpro forums though"
You could post in the DBP fourms if you own dbc but it'll be likely that the people there will talk about commands that you don't understand that are only available in DBP

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Re: posting in DBP forums, my suggestion would be that we get our first project done first, so that we aren't written off as just a bunch of noobs who want make a team (last I checked, team req's were bad if you didn't already have some work done). Also, we don't want to start posting and then get locked for spamming.

Another thought is that we don't want to have to check multiple threads. If we open 3 threads in 3 forums, we will eventually end up with 3 different projects and 3 different teams (competitions between teams could be fun). So that would require some off-forum networking.

Oh, and I think we decided that the team name was DarkNoobs.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 01:41
DarkNoobs sounds cool. Is it DarkNoobs or DarkN00bs?
well, I actually thought the other threads would just refer here but I suppose competition would be nice

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 03:09 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 03:44
Quote: "well, I actually thought the other threads would just refer here"

I kind of tried that with the community functions library a while back, trying to get more people to add in their own code. It got deleted by a mod for spamming. I don't know if there is a way around it (linking or something), just wanted to bring that up.

@All
For all those who want, I got really bored and made a wallpaper/splash screen with our team name. C&C is appreciated.
[EDIT]
OOPS forgot to attach! Its attached now!

Also, we need to start our first project. From what has been suggested, who wants to do what?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 03:43 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 17:22
[hide] PLATFORMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/hide]

A platformer would be nice.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 05:20
@BN2
Cool wallpaper! Looks great on my desktop... lol.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 05:52 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 06:09
BN2. That looks OWNAGE! I centered it, then made my background grey. It looks so [weird] FREAKIN SWEET! [/weird]

Great job. It looks Pro... Now how do I make this my signature...

[EDIT]

Testing Phaelax's Sig... It worked!

[EDIT2]

Testing it with URL....

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now how do I make this my signature"

Crop it, because it is too big.
Upload it online
Copy the url to the preferences section of your account on the forums.

Anyway, about the platformer, you work is impressive, but I would say that the platformer idea may be a little bit too much, though if enough people on the team say they want to do it, we can. I would think we should stick with the puzzle, non-scrolling type, rather than the mega-man/mario type platformers.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 06:10 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 06:12
I didn't say it had to be a scroller. I thought it could be one of those puzzle things, that you have to get out of your room.
[EDIT]
Fixing URL...

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 06:20
@BN2
You should make a thread for the DarkNoobs section. Like Obese said, we should make this the watering hole.

Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 07:52 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 07:56
To the DarkNoob team:
heres a logo I made for you guys using dark basic pro and flash cs3 hope you like it.

the number bg was generated using this code

with obviousness I know this code can be improved but I really don't care

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ed
Thats pretty cool! (gotta learn flash)

@All
So I guess so far all we have is platformer, which personally I think is a little much for a first project. But, if you all really want to, then we can make that our first project and create a thread for it.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 20:35
I thought a platformer would work well for a team.

One person could work on physics.
Another could work on levels.
Another could make a cool menu.
Another could make some of the sprites movements.

etc.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
depends though, we don't have a complete roster for the team. There is you and darkdragon, but who else is actually in the team?

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 23:05
There is a game, i think it's called hamsterball. It's a puzzle type game. Maybe something like that?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 00:40 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 00:40
When you say 'puzzle' what do you mean by that?

Quote: "but who else is actually in the team?"

Well. Nobody.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well. Nobody."

Lol, anyway I just played hamster ball. Essentially you are in a hamster ball and you have to try to get to the finish line w/o falling off edges. You roll across ramps, through pipes and such. Fun and addicting, but 3D which might be a little much for our first one. I think we should just stick with a platformer, any objections say so soon.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 02:43
Oh. That game by bleeping FunOrb... I was hoping there was a different one. Ya... A 3D Platformer like that would be HARD.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 03:15
I've played the one on FunOrb, this one is slightly different. (It has different levels). But I don't think that should be our first project. But if our first project is gonna be puzzle, we should make it like Adventures of Lolo.

The game doesn't have instructions, although I was able to figure out how to play it myself... somehow.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the style of that one sinani, it doesn't require physics. What does everyone think about that one?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:06
Hmmmm... It seems like a LOT of images, a bunch of level design (Which isn't bad) and no scrolling. ()

A Variation on it could be do able. Let's take a vote?

Platformer: 0
One Screen Puzzle (That's what I'm going to call it): 1 (me)

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:14
If it gets voted, I'll tell you how the game works so that it'll be easier to set the rules for it.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I vote one screen thing

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:29 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 06:32
Oh cool! I think this is the real instructions manual for Adventures of Lolo in PDF format. The link is below.

EDIT: Ummmm... why isn't the link working? Whatever. Here's the link:
http://www.adventuresoflolo.com/lolo1/instruction_manual/Adventures%20of%20Lolo.pdf

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:32 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 06:33
One screen thing wins.
Once we have this under our belt, we can post it. So whos going to do what?

Who wants to do the story?
The images?
The menu?
The Maps?
The Sounds?
The Main game?

I'd have fun doing the menu, but, honestly, who wouldn't? And I could do the main game too. Images... no.

Priority levels

-images
-Main Game
-Maps
-Sounds
-Menu

I know I've left something out... whoever takes on the biggest job should be able to also take on the more fun ones. If it's in your category, other people can't make it look pretty, they can only give suggestions. (because making it pretty is the best part )

Does that cover everything? And Did you plan on making the game too BN2, or were you going to monitor it?

I'll be reading this thread later, so don't expect me to respond for a while.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:35
Well... one thing.
I'm not saying we should actually make Pac-Man, but we should try to relate our strategy on making the game to this tutorial.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:44 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 06:45
Eh? It's not NEARLY that hard. All you have to do is set the location you go, and the boundaries. That's the hard part.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I think we are ready for a new thread for this project, but yeah you are missing something. PLANNING!

What we need first is the concepts:

What do you do in the game (collect tokens, kill monsters, flip switches etc)

How do you know when the level is over (all tokens collected, all monsters dead, all switches flipped)

Control layout needs some attention. Will you have one button for every action, or an action button, which would require checking to see what should be done.

If an action button is used, what is the order of preference (this would help solve problems in which 2 or more actions should be performed)

So basically, before we even BEGIN on making the GAME we need to make the ENGINE, essentially, the game- the point and the fun. After that it is essentially plug and chug.

So priority list:

-Engine
-Main game (map layouts and such)
-Menu
-Images
-Sounds
-Story

Actually, story is a separate category and gets interwoven into things beginning at the map layouts and such and goes all the way down as well.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 17:30
Quote: "Lol, anyway I just played hamster ball. Essentially you are in a hamster ball and you have to try to get to the finish line w/o falling off edges. You roll across ramps, through pipes and such. Fun and addicting, but 3D which might be a little much for our first one."

That was not the hamsterball I meant. Maybe it was called hamsterjam.

Anyway I don't know anything about this game you guys are talking about and I couldn't load it. Otherwise I would help with images. I would like to help though. I can still do music and/or menu.

...and when you say maps what do you mean? Because how I would go about making maps is that you have maps saved in text files that are loaded by yout game which generates the in-game-map / world / level / whatever from the text file. The text file is created either by directly entering map data to notepad or by making an editor () for the game. Then all the mapmaker needs to do is be creative and enter stuff in notepad. (or make a simple editor but that's probably a bit much).

I could do somthing impressive for menus (I think)... I'm just not sure what the theme is. Same for music. I could make some midis. Should they be jolly or sinister.

Now, I'm not sure about Irojo's approach.. we could do it like that. But personally I think that the images and the main game jobs are so big that wouldn't it maybe be easier if we all did some images and we all submitted functions that carry out certain tasks in the game. I'm not sure but that's how I think they go about the community project. You submit a function that does something in the game. In the end all the functions are put together and it makes a game. It's just an idea though. Irojo's way is probably just as good. In which case, do consider me for the above mentioned jobs or if you want me to make a function to help in the main game.

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 19:07 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 19:07
The game we were talking about it just like hamsterjam. No side scrolling. Just essentially a puzzle.

Instead of a level editor which would take FOREVER to make, I think putting each level into data commands would work well.

Music would be nice... I haven't made music before so that wouldn't be me...

And same goes for images.

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 19:29
I wouldn't mind making a level editor for you, if you want.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 19:39
@Irojo and DD
Sorry if I sounded very negative, I actually really liked your programs it's just they were quite messy. I tend to criticise before I give praise so don't take it to heart.
You both have good imagination which can't be learnt, so all you're lacking is a bit of practice.
About the clock challenge: I don't understand trigonometry, I don't even know what TAN can be used for, but I use SIN and COS a lot in my programs lol.

I'm going to drop the pong project because I'm getting very little time at a pc at the moment and as BN2 said we don't have enough members to field two teams.
BN2 is producer for the next project, I'll try and come online and give help where I can and help with the final edit of the game.

Good Luck Noobs,

OBese

It is far better to complete a 10 line program than to start a 10,000 line program.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 22:00
Level editor wouldn't be TOO hard. Thankyou nano for your offer.

re: data statements. ...er ...could we not? ...please?

over and out
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I second the data statements comment by sinisterstuf. Anyway, I created a new thread for all project related discussion, lets try to keep this thread for people who want to join the team and for discussing future projects etc.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 01:17
I can unfortunately only work on this on weekends as that's the only time I have access to a pc. I guess I'll make some music then. ...wait, should this be posted in the other thread?

over and out

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:30:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:30:23