Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah i'll join. Ive just started and i dont keven know how to import a bitmap. Every time i try, DB dosent recognise the file.

BRD
BRD GaM3S 101
Years of Service
User Offline
HELP! All i want to do is move a line from top to bottom in 2d but I cant figure out how to do it cos i'm crap at programming. help pleez

BRD
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 21:11
@BRD Games
Quote: "All i want to do is move a line from top to bottom"

Firstly, well done for choosing a good program to start with: It's simple but you can learn about variables and FOR loops from this.

Here's the code with helpful annotation...

You may have noticed that although the default resolution is 640x480 I used 639 and 479 as the upper limits for my line. The reason for this is that 0 is the first pixel; if you count from 0 to 9 you will count 10 numbers not 9; 0 to 639 is 640.
The fact is that a pixel at 640,480 doesn't exist, it would be off the screen and wouldn't be drawn. Lines are a bit deceiving in this because even if you drew a line from 0,0 to 9999,9999 it would be drawn as far as will fit on screen.
One of the most important lessons you must learn is that 0 is a number in its own right.

Quote: "I cant figure out how to do it cos i'm crap at programming. help pleez"

You only started a week ago; a lack of knowledge doesn't mean you're stupid.

It is far better to complete a 10 line program than to start a 10,000 line program.
BRD GaM3S 101
Years of Service
User Offline
cheers obese. I figured it would be much easier to start in 2d because of the basic principals of it.

Space invaders was on of the most simple games, but that doesn't mean to say that it's crap. What? It is? Oh, fine then.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 09:36 Edited at: 18th Sep 2008 22:34
Yo guys I want in!! plz.. Anyways my clock might be a little late but here it is.

Lol I did this in dbpro and had to run it through dbclasic it works now.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyways im not too familiar with dbclasic is there any way to make it more windows based like minimize and scroll button on mouse?
BRD GaM3S 101
Years of Service
User Offline
hey I don't quite know what is wrong with these lines of code but darkbasic says there's something wrong with it.[Rem Setup sync
Sync On
Sync Rate 30

Rem Create 5 cubes and place randomly
For x = 1 to 5
Make object cube x,100
Position object x,Rnd(2000),0,Rnd(2000)
Next x

Rem Main loop
Do
Rem Store camera angle
caY#= Camera angle Y()

Rem Control input for camera movement
If Upkey()=1 then Move camera 10
If Leftkey()=1 then Yrotate Camera Wrapvalue(caY#-5)
If Rightkey()=1 then Yrotate Camera Wrapvalue(caY#+5)

Rem Refresh Screen
Sync

Rem Setup sync rate
Sync On
Sync Rate 30
Rem Create sphere
Make object sphere 10,100
Rem Main loop

Rem Store the object's Y angle in aY#
aY# = Object angle Y(1)

Rem Control input
If Upkey()=1 then Move object 10,2
If Leftkey()=1 then aY# = Wrapvalue(aY#+5)
If Rightkey()=1 then aY# = Wrapvalue(aY#-5)

Rem rotate the sphere
Yrotate object 1,aY#

Rem Refresh Screen
Sync
Loop]

Space invaders was on of the most simple games, but that doesn't mean to say that it's crap. What? It is? Oh, fine then.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 23:57
You had it make the sphere more then once. position object is what I think you wanted to do. Don't have it set the sync rate in a loop
Here's your code:

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, now that it seems the first project is completed for all intents and purposes, figure I might as well give this thread a bump.

TO ALL NOOBS! THE TEAM IS NOW ACCEPTING MEMBERS FOR THE NEXT PROJECT (whatever it may be)!

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 16:21
Another project? Did Furious Pickaxe fail?

"I reveal my trap card, GEORGE DUBYA BUSH!
America loses 2000 Life Points! America loses." -Deucalion2
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 19:32
Quote: "it seems the first project is completed "

And check out the thread.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, here it is...the LONG overdue

FURIOUS PICKAXE!

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 06:22
Wow. Stick it in Program Announcements post this threads URL. And post the program announcement threads URL here so I can check it out please.
You da man!

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, lets debrief our first project.

Problems faced, things we did well, lets discuss it so that the next project can be run a little better.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
A few problems from my point of view.

- Our own web site was awsome but it wasn't updated frequently.

- I joined late and didn't really have an assignment or direction. Maybe we can update what's needed to be done more often on this forum or the web site on the next project.

- Ofcourse, I've knotice we all have our own coding style and is inconvenient to code something someone else made. The use of functions and #include was intresting, maybe we can focus more on that on the next one. It should be easier to know who made what and what needs fix. I apologize if re-writing the codes made it harder, I guess it's trial and error on my part.

- I guess another problem might be a lack of REM, I know I'm largely at fault in this one too and will be practicing it more often. Might be good idea to preach about REM and to new commers also.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
If you look at the first page, everything was supposed to be remmed, we just didn't follow through.

About the code, it wouldn't have been a problem, exactly if you had cleared it with me (and didn't change the code at all at the same time). Since you fixed some things and changed other things, it was hard to track down the fixes. So in the future, it would be fine, just clear it with the project manager first.

The site was a problem, but was kind of annoying to update, perhaps we should go with a simply forum system, but lay it out similar to a website.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 02:47 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 03:05
I think the forum system makes more sense.

You planning on posting Furious Pickaxe in program announcements BN2?

BUG:

Everytime I press a key after I get game over, the program ends, and an error report message (dont send / send) Appears.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
The only thing about the forums system is to make sure that NO discussion occurs, just progress.

Here are some suggestions for the next project:

I would say that for the next project, before you start on something, declare you are starting and get approval from the manager (just to make sure that others don't). Then post your code (or just a message) every other day (so that we don't have another problem). If you disappear, you lose your assignment on the 2nd time of not posting (that way if they are busy, they still have 2 days to post).

For delegations, here is what I noticed:

Delegating is good at the beginning, but don't delegate everything at the beginning. Break EVERYTHING up as much as possible so that there are a lot of jobs, that way, as people come in, we can give them the next job.

For organization:
It would be best to have a team of minimum 5 people (though we can work with less). At 6, the team should sub-branch into smaller divisions to work on different sections, to be headed by someone who has completed at least 1 project. This person will report to the manager via this forum to keep him/her updated on the progress. At 5 or fewer, it would almost seem like a waste to try to sub-divide, since you would probably be all alone anyway. This would also allow new NOOBS to join into a team working on their particular interest. If they don't care, they go into the smallest team.

Probably will post some more suggestions later when I think of them, go ahead and tear these apart if you see something you don't like about them. I will get started setting up the forum for the webpage.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 03:16 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 03:23
D) All of the above.

The program crashed when I attempted to load a new map in the ingame menu, and when editing, a new level was not loaded, even when selected.

[EDIT]
New Map:

I download memory.

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 03:34
Another Map:

"Diamond Digsite"

I download memory.

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 03:43
Another Map:

"Central Tomb 2"

I download memory.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 04:10 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 04:11
Weird, works fine here Are you using the version in the zip file I attached a few posts up?

Thanks for the maps will check them out. They are possible to win right?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 04:58
Yes I am using the newest version.

They can be beat.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 06:09 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 07:17
hmmm can we get someone else to confirm the bug with loading maps on the newest version (posted above)

Also, irojo, which map did you try to load?

[EDIT]
Got a forum up and running. Still pretty basic, gunna be uploading some stuff.

http://darknoobsgames.forumsland.com/

Note that this is just for reference, and no conversation should take place there, just here. Here there will be job listings, and archived projects.

Hopefully this will be better to keep up to date than the website (would have to go into the html every time).

[EDIT 2]
Nice maps Irojo. Added to the archive.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 15:11
I tried to load every map, the problem didn't crash, just when I pressed load, it didn't do anything. This occured when the screen had been edited, and when it hadn't. And I tried loading a recently saved map, and it didn't work either.

And then, the bigger, more important bug, is the menu ingame. It crashed when I tried to use any selection. This occured after I clicked on one of the selections.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
should we discuss about the game fix in here or the other thread?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm the thing is it works fine here, you want to take on the bug testing of those?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I would say the other thread, from now on, just to stop from cluttering this up more.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I do agree on breaking the task down. It will be easier to complete if it's much shorter/simple.

Maybe we can have a list of names an who's doing what on the DarkNoob site. We can make an "Assignment" thread.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 18:54 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 19:04
Good idea, but lets hold off till the next project, since right now we are just in bug testing, which is everyone's job really. If you find one, report it here, then find a fix and post the fix. Extra kudo's if you explain the bug and why it happened, but not necessary. After all, the goal here IS to learn.

Going back to something I noticed about our project code.

While yes, it was hard to read at times, it did have the perk of being able to reset itself easily, something our old code couldn't do. Here is what I would say, it needed MORE subdivision, to eliminate all of those flags in every state (wouldn't mind it if the states themselves had names more revealing of the purpose). So rather than at the beginning doing several checks to see if some things were done, we could split it up, so that it does all of those one time things, then we don't have to worry about it anymore.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So rather than at the beginning doing several checks to see if some things were done, we could split it up, so that it does all of those one time things, then we don't have to worry about it anymore."

Yes that would be much better with less headache.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 19:18
Something I noticed about this project was a poor understanding of subroutines and functions, if they'd been used more often and better this project would have run a bit smoother.
This is something I'd suggest all noobs looking to join the team read up on. Apart from anything a subroutine or function crystallises your work into an obvious block; there were moments in the development of Furious Pickaxe where it was unclear who had written what and lines were getting mixed in with other peoples' code.

Modularisation is the keyword.

I like coming up with different metaphors for subroutines and functions - mainly because it took me an AGE to work out how to use them - so here's a few more...

Subroutines
If code is like water then subroutines are glasses; if you don't put your water in a glass it spills everywhere and makes a mess!
Subroutines are handy for keeping things tidy.

Subs could also be likened to books; if you don't use them it's like living in a world where books don't exist: imagine trying to learn DB without books for instance, there would be no written record of how to use any commands! You'd have to work it all out yourself essentially starting from scratch! i.e. you'd have to re-write your code over and over whenever you needed it.
So write these little books and tell your program to read them when you think it needs to.

Functions
Functions are like the formulas you find in science and maths - you know Length * Width = Area of a rectangle and what not - They are little machines that will run anything you give them through the same process and pop out the result.
Building up a library of powerful functions is key to making good programs quickly, if you come across the same problem twice you just pull that function out of your tool bag and hey presto!

hmm... playing Little Big Planet seems to have effected my writing style well at least I didn't say "gadding about"

I think BN2's point about delegation was sound, I will be working on the next project and am keen to break down tasks into appropriate chunks for different ablilities; getting more people involved will be my main focus so leaving some simple tasks (like printing a loading screen) for those very new people who want to be part of the project would encourage more to join, and they'll also put more care into it than someone who wrote large chunks of the game and just needs a loading screen.

Going back to my modularisation point, I think we should make it a rule that this time no code will go into the game until it is a subroutine or function. Apart from the main loop and calls obviously.

A small program that works is better than a large one that doesn't.

DBC Challenge Rank: Rookie
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think we should make it a rule that this time no code will go into the game until it is a subroutine or function."

agreed. That would help for bug testing and quick tweeking of code (just rem out a gosub line and replace it with a temp one). Perhaps the manager of the next project should create the basic code, ie, with the appropriate subroutine calls ahead of time, and then it is the member's job to actually write the subroutines and functions. Here is what I mean

The manager would write:

The idea would be that it is a barebones skeleton for the code, which the actual programmers would fill out. Then, if someone wanted to revise a section, with permission from the manager of course, they could simply write their own subroutine and substitute it in for another.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 20:21
@BN2
Precisely!
I have to admit though I still write out chunks of code before realising they would make good subroutines
but I'm sure we can define the main routines we need.

@All
Any suggestions for what the next project could be?
I've always liked that game where you are a fish that gets fatter the more smaller fish you eat, very addictive. There was a sumo version mini-game in Rockstar's Bully (Canis Canem Edit in UK)

A small program that works is better than a large one that doesn't.

DBC Challenge Rank: Rookie
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 20:26 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 20:41
Quote: "I have to admit though I still write out chunks of code before realising they would make good subroutines "

Me too! I make a point to put them into one later though. I have been blessed with 20/20 hindsight.

Quote: "I've always liked that game where you are a fish that gets fatter the more smaller fish you eat, very addictive. There was a sumo version mini-game in Rockstar's Bully "

Interesting, I played one of those on the xbox arcade disc that came with my 360. It was very addicting...until it asked me to purchase the full game

[EDIT]
Just read your tutorial Obese. Shoulda read it before, you said the same thing I did about the subroutine skeleton. Probably could have helped the project.

Oh, and for the next project, since everything is going to be submitted in functions/subroutines, NO one should submit an entire copy of the whole code. That way there is only 1 version floating around that uses the submitted subroutines. It is the manager's responsibility to plug them in and double check that they work in the program (not to say that the programmers SHOULDN'T test their code with the main code, they should just only submit the subroutine and the manager release the main code periodically as changes add up).

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 01:22
Are you still accepting?
If so, here is an AWESOME clock:

And there you go!

I hopw you will accept me...

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 07:35 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 07:36
Well do you mind if I post the whole codes for the current project, posting bits and pieces of alot of small changes is rather inconvienent since we're trying to wrap this up. I do believe that changing buged areas is also a form of fixing bugs.

While submiting I'll handle a next project as what's disscused, but the current project is kinda ~ right now.
I do try to test my updates to an extent.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
For bug fixes, just correct the block of code or subroutine. It doesn't matter if you change a single line, just repost the entire subroutine.

Here is the current game zip file.

Attachments

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 14:57
I can see I get the special treatment!

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 18:58 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 19:05
@Quirkyjim

Welcome glad you can join

Your clock works but I remember it was supose to be an analog clock. Ohh well.

A next project will start soon as we wrap up the current project. Hope to see you plug in.

[Edit]

@BN2

How are we going to decide on next project, should we do a vote thread on the DarkNOOB site?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Lets just throw out some ideas. So far we have the fish one. Obese, are you going to be running the show this time?

So, call out for ideas!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can see I get the special treatment!"

Sorry about that. Been trying for a few weeks to finish up our last project. But yeah, as ashingda said, it is for an analogue. Noticed something though.

You used gosub exit

the label exit has no commands in it. If you want to end, you can use the END command, which, literally, ends it. You should ALWAYS put it in at the end of the program (it stops darkbasic from giving you trouble) but before the subroutines and functions.

Also, you used a sync rate of 30. Just curious as to why you chose that?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you used a sync rate of 30"

Probly cause it was in the command help section
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 02:10 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 02:10
Well I figured out a bunch of issues.

The file loading for the editor doesn't seem to work still.

The ingame crashing was a result of DB being open.
When I closed it, this issue no longer occured.

And lastly, but most definetly not least, my friend/I made an amazing course.

The name is weird, but don't change it please.

It is beatable. There seems to be a glitch that occurs that makes the program crash. This happens in the top row of blocks, second from the left.

I download memory.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
interesting glitch...I think it has to do with the tile code 999 which you added in a while back. Since I wasn't sure what it was, I tried to keep it there but bypass it for everything else at one point. Not sure if that is the problem, but it was the code for the top left tile.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 15:43
Can the 999 be removed without making the file codes no longer working?

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Everything would still work the same as far as I know, but Idk what the 999 is (or if it is still there, but it should be). Was kinda hoping you would remember what it was. We could try removing it and see what happens...

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 03:06
I remember it was something with the blinking of the character. I've got the feeling that it wasn't the problem, and can be removed.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Right will get right on that and see. I am thinking that we can bug test this in our free time, and still begin the new project now, just to keep the ball rolling.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 04:39
We should probably start thinking of the new project now.

I might put together some insane menu in my free time.

But the idea was to introduce the finished project, so as to attract programmers.

I was also thinking of putting it into the "Made with DarkBasic" screenshots section.

I download memory.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:47:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:47:43