Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkNOOBS Project 1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How long has it been since you updated the code you had? Ashingda made several changes quite a while ago.

Which text is surrounded by black also which map did you load (or what happened if that is the case)

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 23:45
A long time.

The text ingame, which displays the time.

I just pressed load, after saving a game, and it quit on me. I think it gave me "filename invalid", even though no file had been opened.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah, I fixed the text problem already.

For the problem, my guess is that it we should compile it as just an exe (not final) so that the file structure is maintained. That is probably the problem

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry been away for so long.

Quote: "Ashingda, your fileio function for some reason has trouble working a second time. "

Yes you mentioned this befor and I fixed it a few posts back. It was the 'esc' variable that needed a reset I believe.

What is there left needed to complete?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 23:05 Edited at: 8th Nov 2008 00:02
we have been having trouble with loading for some reason, still waiting on some feedback. Right now work on maps. Just make a few and we can call it a wrap.

[edit]
attached a cool map I made.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, sry again for double post (I've been doin that a lot).

RE-compiled the exe, hopefully fixed the loading glitch! Put it into the project folder (it doesn't have all the media included now).

Also, here is another map I made called One Way. Try it out, lemme know what you think.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Last few updates....

Add this line on top of the Main Code.

Change this line in the Main Loop.

And unzip the following into the Furious Pickaxe folder.
Zip contains:

- New game function -
Game.dba

- New Images -
Option.png
Pointer.png

- New Sounds -
rocko1.wav
rock02.wav
dead01.wav

- Updateds -
FileIO.dba - Fixed the returnkey pressing.

Remember to always backup befor changing anything .

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol I forgot about the maps. Got 7 new maps all beatable except the last one. Unzip into Map folder.

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 15:03
What's the other files download though? We need to know before we make changes.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
It's an update on the gameplay, make a testing of it on a different folder and let me know what you think. Like I said, make backups.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Will check out the new code later today.

No names for the maps?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 17:25 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 17:28
Couldn't think of any names, does it need names? Someone can make up names for me?

The new codes should make alot of maps beatable which wasn't befor.

[Edit]

I code it into somthing like a function so it's easier to implement.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, here is my evaluation of the code, though I would like a second opinion:

The logo is WAY too fast, all people have time to see is DarkNoobs, not games, and the timing is off with the music.

As far as the game itself goes, I don't like the movement change, since it makes it harder to be precise in your movements (which is necessary to make sure that you don't seal yourself in or out of a section).

I still think the rocks should fall as soon as you step from under them, without being able to go down without dieing. The gems, in my mind shouldn't fall. The changes also seem to make the rocks act more like a fluid, which isn't exactly what we are going for. We need maps that can be predicted how to win, it makes the user think more, which should be a plus.

I liked the audio and visual additions though and the loading screen (I have grown SO sick of Jeopardy).

We will need the mouse to be visible though, so that the menu can be pressed.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
There are some stages where you can't beat it without going down from under a rock and surviving. Wouldn't that just make it harder for us to build the map if it's restricted in movement? Those are just some thoughts.

I'll change what you mentioned and post it up again.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it will be harder to make, but it will also be harder to win. This is more of a logic based game. You have to think BEFORE you move under a rock, not after. That is mainly why I wanted a second opinion though. Irojo? You have anything? You really are the only one left from the beginning.

RIP: Dark Dragon
RIP: Sinani

DAM YOU BRIGHT NOOBS!!! Yeah...I just re-read the first few pages of this topic and came across the bright noobs comments.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 21:14 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 21:18
Hey BN2 can I run through the main code and swap the State sub names and flag into better labels?

Example:

[Edit]

Also would like to make some minor fixes->(intro) and add alot of REMS.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 21:39
I'm extremely busy at the moment, so I'm trying to be quick with this message. Sorry if I don't cover everything

Bn2:
RIP them all.
And I miss sinisterstuf. He made great music.
Schtupid bright noobs....
--
NO MORE CHANGES! We. are. done. Only changes that should be done are for bugs. We have too many problems already, let the bugs be.

Dont worry about Rems.
Leave the intro as it was.
--
We must finish this project. We need more people, and having something to show helps a bundle. Let the ugly parts exist, let the stuff you never finished alone, and just work on making the code run.
*Sigh*
Let's finish this thing.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Well the changes will actually fix some of the existing bugs.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Irojo has a point.

Fix the bugs in the main code, don't do anything more. As far as the labels go, hold off till the next project, we can't afford new problems to be created.

And btw, for the next one, rather than just: "state$="intro" " use state 1, but rather than:

I would suggest

It is a bit neater and notice how the labels give 2 pieces of info. They give the number for state (s1 means when state=1) and a description of what they do.

Just go with the code we have for now. I know you put a lot of work into the new code, but lets just stick with what we have.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It is a bit neater and notice how the labels give 2 pieces of info. They give the number for state (s1 means when state=1) and a description of what they do."

I like that idea.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 07:04 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 07:12
I couldn't help it I had to do it.

Changes:

1) Intro was changed a bit with a new short music which is also faster to load up.

2) The loading part from State1 -> MainMenu has been re-arranged, I moved it up into State0 -> Intro sub. Just right after the intro it loads up Images/music/etc.

3) Added REM to all labels. Should help with finding and fixes.
Example:

4) Additional Media:
Win.png - Used when all gems are collected.
Crystal.wav - Used when gems are being collected.
Left1.png - Redrew the leg
Right1.png - ""

5) Other Changes to Main Code.
- Fixed the Back space key, when pressed will return you to the previous menu and not all the way back to the main menu.
- Changed the Pointer Image.

6) Made changes to "Game.dba".
- Rocks no longer tumbles to the sides and stacks up now.
- Crystals don't fall anymore.
- Now when standing under a rock, by moving down only death awaits you.
- With this update the FileIO should work with less bugs.

I fixed the bugs I can find. Test and let me know what's approved.
It's been said to let lying dogs lay but I just cant help it, besides I find it to be good practice, or should we prioritize finnishing over learning?

I'm loading the whole folder. Dont overwrite, unzip to new folder if you're testing.

[Edit]

But really as I'm testing this, almost all the stages are imposible to complete without the moving down and evading the falling rocks.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's been said to let lying dogs lay but I just cant help it, besides I find it to be good practice, or should we prioritize finnishing over learning?"

At this point, yes. I like that you are taking the initiative to learn and try new things, but this project has gone on WAY longer than it should have. We need to just fix what needs fixing (and even then, perhaps just until a team is assembled for the next project).

Quote: "But really as I'm testing this, almost all the stages are imposible to complete without the moving down and evading the falling rocks. "

Test out the map I made a while back "MMLvl.map" or something like that. If you can't do it, say so, I will try to post a video of how to do it WITHOUT having to go down. I use this map as an example for how we should do ours because (in all honesty) I took this map from a game I found online called Mr. Matt (google it, it is free). Their map is bigger, but I copied the gist of it, to see if our program was good enough to support the same solution to their problem (turned out it had to be different since the map was smaller, but the main ideas are the same)

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Test out the map I made a while back "MMLvl.map" or something like that."

I have been testing that and it too is imposible to beat or at least I can't figure it out.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Will post a video of beating it soon

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Here it is, sorry for the flashing, the recording program was giving me some trouble, which also explains the high video length.

Note that the flashing displays the problems with using fixed framerates. When recording, you will get black in the recording, similar to when you film a computer monitor and you see flashing.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow would have never thought to complete it that way. When getting the last 2 crystals you took the long way around lol.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Did I? Perhaps there was another way to do it. I know that if you get the bottom one, then the rocks will pile and one will fall onto you.

So anyway, it IS possible to design seemingly impossible levels, but are, in fact, challenging and very possible.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 19:56
Time to post the program BN2?

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I think so, will post the files on the DNG forum in a few hours (maybe, depends on how busy I am, if not, expect tomorrow). Would appreciate some help if someone could post it on these forums.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 14:34
Okay. The only reason I hadn't posted it, is I thought you'd want the honor.

You could just post a link to the website.

I download memory.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 05:39
WOOWWWW!!! You Guys are some good noobs. nice little addictive game ya got there. keep this type of thing up!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 05:40
We'd like you back noob.

Thanks.
But BN2 did some stuff, and Ashingda isn't really a noob.

I download memory.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 19:09
i'll be back...........just not now

I have 2 and 1/2 games to finsh(Extrem x is one..), then i'll be back.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 22:18
Cool DD.

@BN2

Is the webiste now updated with the most recent code?

Because if it is, I will post a thread in program announcements, with the link to that page (after re-testing it), and a link to the Noobs Wanted thread. As you were the project manager, I thought I'd ask if you want to post it in the program announcements thread.

I download memory.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 01:11
Quote: "
I have 2 and 1/2 games to finsh(Extrem x is one..), then i'll be back."

2 and a half? that's a lot planned out!

A small program that works is better than a large one that doesn't.

DBC Challenge Rank: Rookie
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 19:19
yeah, lol.
my freinds not sure if he even wants me to finish one because he likes the beta version so much....

alec the lion
Years of Service
User Offline
I recently found this project, i'd like to help, email is
alec0493@btinternet.com

and heres my clock

bit modified as i started off going with the timer function.

Alec

Please let me join, no media for the thing above

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2008 16:13
Alec post it on Dark noobs project 2 because I think this one is done

I was here.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Rather, post it on NOOBS Wanted post. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131352&b=10 That is the main watering hole for the team, including join requests.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:22:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:22:13