Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkNOOBS Project 1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 23:48
I see, that makes sense

@all
sory guys, giving you my images/music is unfortunately currently still posponed until I can sneak onto my pc...

over and out
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, no problem sinister. We will stick with colored boxes till you can!

@Irojo and Sinani

How are you guys doin. Irojo, I have kinda heard from you, you are figuring out the arrays, so just let me know how your part is going.

Sinani, I haven't heard from you in a while so I would like to know either where you are or see some code. Just tryin to stay on top of the development process.

Anyway, who is interested in making the map editor?

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:19
Quote: " in making the map editor? "

Holy stars... Is that really necessary?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, making the maps is rather irritating, so it could be a fun project for anyone up to the challenge. If not, then I guess I will, that would be enjoyable.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:25 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 00:28
Yeah, it's not THAT hard, you know.

BN2, if you don't feel like it then I could always do it...

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:31
It just seems like it'd take as much effort as the game.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm just for fun, lets both make one.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:37
Alright then you'r on

one other thing, what is the name and general theme of the game? Is it still a hamster or is it a miner or an alien etc? This would also help for the music...

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:56 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 00:56
@sinister

Hmmmm no idea.

@Everyone
Here's my progress report, it's all rem'ed for everything, indented, and is the dementions you requested BN2.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmmmm I didn't even think of that lol. Anyone have any input? I am thinking an alien thing would be cool, not exactly sure what the graphics would be for that though. So, unless someone jumps in soon with another opinion, lets do that (a miner and gem combo would be cool too)

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:57 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 01:07
miner and gem would be pretty cool... How about he mines for gold. Aliens are just... sad... overused. Not that a miner isn't really...

[EDIT]
Off topic.. I don't know if you've seen my post two posts up BN2, since you posted at that same time. Please check it, thanks.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:07 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 01:10
On level 20 there can be a giant alien monster that eats the player out of nowhere, like that skiing game that comes with windows lol! Or the miner could get enough jems to buy a rocket and go to space where he turns into an alien and digs on that planet too. That can be like the "story" so that would be either a bonus level. Or he would keep switching planets to keep the game interesting

EDIT:
then maybe right at the end it rains caterpillars for no reason and they fill up the screen and then the credits come!

(these are all just ideas though, and don't need to be taken to seriously )

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:10
That would be a lot of cutscenes. Sounds cool though..

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:15
Yeah!

well, to avoid lots of programming we could dress up as caterpillars and film ourselves jumping off the roof, save it as ending.avi and stick it in the game. Saves you loads of trouble animating falling caterpillars... And making the sounds of them screaming and hitting the ground...

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:18
We'd need an extra person to code it in though once we're well... dead...

It reads the arrays!!!! View the code to get most of(I hope) your questions answered.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:23
I didn't think of that.

I will read your code. Tomorrow.

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:25
Okay.

This paste sprite doesn't seem to work with sprite collision!!!!!!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:41 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 01:45
Nahhh, pasting a sprite doesn't allow it to collide. It just well, pastes the image onto the screen. But, since we are doing a tile based system, sprite collision is a bit overkill anyway. All you have to do is check to see if the locations are the same.

The way the command works is it copies the image of a sprite onto a position on the screen. The sprite MUST exist (best to keep it offscreen). The benefit is that instead of needing 100+sprites, you only need one and you can paste it 100 times. At that point it is just a collection of dots, so there is no collision. Benefits include being able to text over the screen and you don't have to worry about message boxes (which should be sprites) being placed under the map, making them hidden.

And, irojo, sry, I didn't see your code there. Nice job commenting it. I will test it out now and see how it works.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 03:16
Quote: " I will test it out "

Excellent.

Quote: "Nice job commenting it."

Yay!

What's the point of using paste sprite, instead of paste image? And if we have 196 different spaces, how can we determine if the one sprite we need is on top of them, without giving doing all 196 of the coordinants? (I spelled that wrong )

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 03:50 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 03:53
Ok, tried to test it, got a bob doesn't exist on line 77
this section

[EDIT]
Ok I figured out the problem. Once any=6, there IS no sprite 6 so it returns an error.
[/EDIT]
Not familiar with the paste image command. Looked at it, it looks almost the same, except it takes a transparency flag. Also, the paste sprite command will also copy mirroring, flipping and scaling (none of which will be necessary as far as I can tell).

I am a little confused with the question. Are you trying to say how can we check for collision? if so we use this:

you simply check to see if the position is the same. Collision commands are just a little bit overkill for what we need, since there are only a limited amount of spaces you can be in and you won't be moving between them.

If I didn't answer your question, please restate, as I wasn't completely sure what you were asking, sry.

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 12:28
Hi, I posted in the other thread but nobody answered, Do you guys need any extra help?

On the other hand, you have different fingers.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
In what sense? From what I have seen you are a pretty good coder which kinda is beyond the general idea of this team member wise, but we could always use more experienced coders to help give advice and generally manage things.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 21:31
*sigh* sorry guys, still no images or music today (64kbps *sigh* and only from 14:00-16:00)...

NanoGamez guy, if you'r talking about the 'noobs wanted' thread then I don't see your post there... On the other hand, I like your sig.

@The Team
Hows it going? Made much progress today?

over and out
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know whats going on, we don't usually have 16 hour stretches where no one on the team posts

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 22:25
It's scaring me. Maybe they were assassinated by our rival team... It's so quiet it's creepy... Oh well, I've got work 2 do but I'll be back later or tomorrow.

over and out
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
We have a rival team????? So its going to be like that...I know someone whose family used to be part of the Italian Mafia. Perhaps they could help us out.

BTW, anyone on the team, please stop our scheming and post to tell us what the ransom is or something

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 22:36
@BN2
I meant helping out and giving advice, like you or Sinister.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 22:50 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 23:19
I'm alive.

I'm still trying to figure out how to go about making the collision etc.

I know you didn't want to do sprites BN2, but 70 for sync rate 0 is pretty good. You get 40 with the default sync rate. The control by the mouse is temporary.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Nano
Yeah that would be awesome, thanks

@Irojo
Ok good, they didn't get you. By 70, did you mean the fps? Because I am only getting about 10 .

A funny glitch, though it doesn't mean much since the mouse is only temporary, is that if you move the mouse fast enough, you jump over some tiles so you just get little islands.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 23:53
Yay! Irojo lives!

ofcourse we have a rival team! Bright Noobs. They aim to be everything that Dark Noobs is not and have been rivals since the beginning of time.

well thankyou nano.
On the other hand... How do we know you aren't from Bright Noobs and you're just here to spy on Dark Noobs' latest hit game?!

@Irojo
cool cool. But maybe BN2 wants you to do the collision detection without sprite collision detection to test some of your other think out side the box coding type skills? Do you know what I mean?

over and out
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, what sinister said is right and wrong. At first it was a system resource thing. Since then, however, it HAS become more of me wanting to see what you can do. It isn't hard to throw a bunch of sprites onto the screen and use sprite collision. It takes a different way of thinking to code "blindly", that is, when the operations and display don't interact with each other (as happens in sprite collision). Each is completely separate and it forces you to think outside the box.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 00:01 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 00:24
Quote: "it forces you to think outside the box."

That seems to just be entirely math.

Code update! It now detects what's colliding, with the same average FPS as before!

[EDIT]

I updated the way it clears the screen. Does it take too long?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 00:33 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 00:35
Not too bad, but it does take a little too long. Try checking syncs in your loops. If you have nested for-next loops (see example) try putting sync in the outer one.

So instead of

for y=1 to 640
for x=1 to 480
STUFF
sync
next x
next y

do this

for y=1 to 640
for x=1 to 480
STUFF
next x
sync
next y

Anyway I will be working for the next 6/7 hours so I won't be able to reply till sometime tonight. Good job so far and good luck!

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 00:38
Okay thanks. What else is left in my assignment for me to do? Should I take something new?
Is it worth the wait if it displays the score?

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 00:41 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 00:46
Or even:

FOR y=1 TO 640
FOR x=1 TO 480
do stuff
NEXT x
NEXT y
sync

that way you don't have the thing cascade down the screen (unless you want that) so it just appears. And I think it would probably be faster too because there are 479 less screen refreshes

Now to start reading code there's probably lots of it and all in black and white and I won't be able to run it as an exe... But if it is indented and commented it should be fine to read and easy to understand. Ok. I'll be back in a while.

EDIT:
@Irojo
Have you done "tile control system" up for grabs... Etc that BN2 mentioned on page 1 of this thread? If not then I guess you could do that.

where is sinani today? Did bright noobs get him?

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 00:46
Updated rem/indentation.

I'm not removing the syncs, because of the effect Sinister.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 01:49
Ok, as you wish
Well, I suddenly feel really tired so I'm going to stop reading your code, I didn't even get properly into the important part but anyway, here's 4 suggestions so far:

1) I don't know if you know this and do it intentionally or if you don't actually know but GET IMAGE 1,0,0,32,32 doesn't actually make a 32x32 image but 33x33 because the 0 is included, instead of just 1,1,32,32, which would give 32x32

2) Please could you define all variables that you use at the start of the program, preferably including their types and initial values. Eg.

ofcourse you don't HAVE to but it would be nice. It also let's you keep track of variables and their names, improves readability of code and also if you want you can add rems explaining what they are for. Because some variables (like order [that is a variable, right?]) I just don't know what they mean.

3)
Quote: "Increasing y, and setting x to 0"
from your code in the for next loop where it says 'order' alot.

This makes me feel sad because it wastes some power of your for next loop.

instead of:

try:

less code, and uses more of the for next. Nice try though. Does this make sense?

4) This is kindof like 2), except not as important. Ofcourse, you don't have to and some people write differently from others, it's just personal preference, but I prefer to have all commands UPPERCASE, all variables lowercase, all functions LowerCaseWithCapsOn1stLettersOfWords(), all gosubs lowercase_with_underscores: and all gotos _same_as_gosub_but_starting_with_underscore:
Ofcourse the most important ones are the variables/commands and the rest is all just my style but it IS easier to read and it looks so far like everything of yours is all lowercase and that's it. Which is fine. I don't mind. I just thought I'd mention it.

what does 'order' mean? You use it in your code and I think it must be a variable.

Now I'm going to sleep.

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 02:30 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 02:57
'order' is just being used to check each sprite, to see if it is in collision. It is then used to keep the sprites number, and get the image number. It is then changed to what is needed.

2) I believe that is a DBpro Native command.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 02:58
Check this out, it should help
sand

It is far better to complete a 10 line program than to start a 10,000 line program.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 03:29 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 06:12
Okay, I will Obese.

I decided to make an editor! I'm not good with the file stuff... Partly because I don't want to waste memoryif I forget to delete it.
But it does nearly everything else. I really like the way it looks too.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 06:38
Nice program, Irojo! The only problem is... pressing space is not very helpful; it just shows all of the numbers.
But anyways, it would be good if it generated the data statements and copied it to the clipboard, but I can see that it would require a lot of work!
Anyways, I was extremely busy today (This is NOT a good week for me!), so I might not get much done, especially on Saturday and Sunday because I'm going to a zoo that I obviously am not looking forward to!
But on Monday I should be up and back to work.

I'm Sinani201, and I approve of this message.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 06:42 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 07:12
Thanks Sinani! I have to go now, but here's my circling symbol level editor. I'll get back to you more tomorow, so check this post for edits.
[EDIT]

I will post more later...

Quote: " it just shows all of the numbers."

Mainly for debugging, that way I can see that it identifies everything properly. Anybody know how to copy paragraphs to the clipboard? If it's possible.
[/edit]

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool program Irojo, but uhhh we aren't going to do data statements for levels . We are going to have it load a file and read it from there, so that you can have player generated lvls, its also better experience wise.

Also, for the part of the program that you made, I am still getting really low fps's. Before you go on to something else, I want you to at least fix that. An easy way, as I have said before, is to use paste sprite. It requires fewer system resources.

Not sure if this is intentional, but you can step everywhere, it just makes you flash. Is this because it is randomly generated? Anyway, that is something you at least want to code in (not being able to step on rocks).

Other than those things, it isn't bad. Honestly, I would like to see what you can do with the paste sprite command or at least some feedback as to why you haven't attempted it.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 17:14 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 17:18
I don't know why you are getting so low FPS....I'll see how much I can reduce it. THE EDITOR IS NOT FOR DATA COMMANDS! I'm going to make it so it saves it to a file, and then in the other game, you load it into the file. And about the rock collision and stuff. I'm trying not to get carried away, but I wanted to still keep this a team project.

Quote: "it isn't bad."

Quote: "Not too bad"

Gah BN2! Stop saying that!

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 18:01 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 18:03
Well, he's right you know, your code isn't AWEFUL!. Not at all. j/k

maybe BN2 is implying that using pasted sprites instead of sprites will improve FPS.

so, stuff to do while you're bored:
1) think of names for the game
2) improve your code; surely it's not perfect and I think even though BN2 and I have both mentioned stuff I'm sure you can think of things too. If you need help, just ask.

Out of the 2 tasks, I'd say the second one is more important

EDIT:
maybe the game should be called "under mined"... or "mined under"... or if it's a puzzle game then maybe "mind under"... or "under-mind". How about "under-mind"

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 18:05 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 18:16

I will definetly be doing #2 alot.

What FPS are you guys getting? I think I improved it by like 10 for me now.

[EDIT] I really don't understand how to make a file for the program, and then to write into the file. I can't find any tutorials on the files... If you guys would do it for this program, I could probably be able to mimic it to do my bidding later.
[/EDIT]

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 18:49 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 19:14
Wow so many posts!

@Irojo
To make make the editor mouse controled, replace

with

[EDIT]
OK Irojo, I have sorted out and indented you entire code. I used rem for Remarks and comments and ` for temporarily removed code.

And the editor (with mouse control):

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 21:17
Nano are you Welsh? Or in Wales?

over and out
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "it isn't bad."
Quote: "Not too bad"
Gah BN2! Stop saying that!"

Sorry, its more of what I say about anything. I don't believe that ANYTHING is perfect. And, no offense, but your code needs work, as does everyone's. I am not trying to cut you down, but I don't give untrue praises (excellent awesome and beyond belief type stuff) until I am sure that it REALLY is what I am going to say it is. Right now, the biggest thing holding you back is the fps. I will mess around and tweek you code to try to improve it. However, take comfort, "not too bad" is still a compliment. What I am saying is that it is good for what it is, but it can still be improved.

I don't mean to be frustrating, I guess it just comes out sometimes.

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 22:46 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 22:46
@Sinister
I am Welsh!
CYMRU AM BYTH!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 06:46:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 06:46:25