Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkNOOBS Project 1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 23:27 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 23:30
yeah! WALES FOREVER MAN!!!

over and out
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 01:21 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 03:16
@Nano

I like the way you made it mouse controlled! And thanks for changing out the ` for rems except for the "`" for being used to get rid of code. I like that, and it makes it easier to read I'll do that from now on. And the indenting is great too.

--
@All
Repeating the request, if someone could make the code so that it worked for a file, I'd learn alot from that. Or an example of how the program saves numbers, and then reloads the numbers. I'm confused about the whole files thing.

Should the program display the gem count, or only at the end?
--

@BN2 I didn't mean it as I felt it as discouraging. I just found it amusing that everything is basically the same as: 'it's not bad'. I know what you mean about not wanting to say that something is great.

I'll continue trying to raise the FPS. Each time I release a new version of it, please tell me what FPS you are getting. Thanks.

--

@BN2 and @Sinister

Did you guys still plan on making a level editor? I'm curious to see it.

--

[EDIT/UPDATE]

I messed with the code, alot. The result was an over 1/3 sync rate improvement from the LAST Update! This has over TRIPLE the original frame rate! As you can see, I'm quite happy with this.

I also updated the rem and the ` and the indenting, following Nano's example. (Thank you Nano. )

Now please do tell me, what FPS are you getting?

If you can't move at the beginning, that's because your on top of a rock. Simply restart the program until you are off the rock.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 04:15
Wow, there are a lot of posts!

Anyways, Irojo, is the new version of your level editor (that you just posted) supposed to be mouse-controlled (with Nano's improvement)? Besides that, the FPS didn't change on my computer. Are you sure it tripled the framerate?

Anyways, I'll try to modify your code so that it will write to a file. Should the file be a certain format, or just a plain text file?

I'm Sinani201, and I approve of this message.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 05:25
Plain text file.

Thanks for trying to modify it! That will help a bundle.

It tripled the original frame rate. But no FPS change!? What is your average FPS? That's bizarre, because it should have changed a lot... And the new editors from now on will be mouse controlled. It's convenient, and much easier to use.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Should the file be a certain format, or just a plain text file?
"

Just for fun, lets have it be a .map format. It will act just like a text file, just it will have a more revealing extension.

@Irojo
Still only getting 12 fps. I was messing with your code and managed to increase it by:
1. Using paste sprite (did increase it, but not too much)
2. Removing the collision detection for-next loop in the main loop. This literally changed it from about 20 to 100.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 06:43
No idea how to do collision detection... and your still getting freakin 10 FPS!?!?!?!?! @#^*!

How...........?

I'd love to see what I get without the for..next and the paste sprite.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 08:40 Edited at: 15th Aug 2008 04:00
Ok for the collision detection:

Since it is ALL tile based, everything is quantified and it is a perfect square. So run some quick checks instead of using sprite collision(since with paste sprite, collision doesn't work anyway).

The way I made it work was to have the player have its own tile type (I used 5). What this does it that when the screen is refreshed, the player is just another tile on the screen. When it moves, it sets its current spot to a cleared ground tile and then increases its location variable and sets the new tile to 5 (so that you don't leave a trail).

Then, for collision detection, it is as easy as:

You see? There is NO collision at all, it just checks to see what is in the next array cell based off of what position you are going to go to. If that next cell is anything other than ground (cleared or uncleared) or a coin, then don't go. For simplicity, I didn't include the checks for cleared ground and for coins.

Since this is all done in about 5 lines (+/-) for each direction, rather than a loop that checks EVERY tile, it is much more efficient.

If you guys want, I could post my code. It is really messy and I didn't want to because I wanted you guys to figure everything out, but I have it done so if you are really stuck, you can go ahead and ask for it. There aren't many comments though.

Here is the code for my map maker. It is thoroughly commented so that you can see how it works. It DOES use a few images, so to use it, use the attached compiled program.

Also, I finally finished tweeking your code, Irojo. It now uses paste sprite and the for->next loop is gone. I get almost 9 times my previous fps.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 14:53 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 15:04
@BN2
You level editor looks great! It's really easy to use and design levels with and has a great interface.
I did notice a glitch that when you clicked outside the boundry, square 1,1 was filled with whatever tile type that was selected. Also, why not use a flood fill function for the fill option?

@Sinister
You from Wales too?

On the other hand, you have different fingers.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 17:52
@BN2
oooh... I will check it out on the weekend. I guess I won't submit mine then, I'll just stick to trying to make some nice music.

@Nano
Yes I am. Well. No. My mum is welsh. How did I end up in Africa. My mum went on holiday and never went back. Here, where I live, rain is celebrated, if you can believe that.

@Irojo
I don't get FPS
...no computer
still waiting for the weekend

I don't know if somebody else already explained this but the file stuff is pretty simple anyway.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that the file you're saving doesn't already exist using either PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR FILES and the checklist commands or using the other commands in the file command list. You compare name of the files in the checklist to yours. If it exists then delete it.

Next you write OPEN TO WRITE. The parameters are the filename and number. Then you write all your numbers like:

Then write CLOSE FILE and the filenumber.

To get the info from the file do OPEN TO READ the filename and number, the same as the code snippet above except READ BYTE instead of WRITE BYTE and then CLOSE FILE and the filenumber.

Alternatively if you want to save an array then just use the commands; SAVE ARRAY array name and LOAD ARRAY array name.

Easy as pi.
whoops, I mean pie

CYMRU AM BYTH!
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 17:59 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 18:06
Sweet! You can save arrays? Awesome. I didn't know that. Thanks Sinister!

@BN2

I was getting like 110 fps before on my program... but when I ran it now, I got 60. It must have been one of those times that my computer runs really fast. Yours I got 80, and it ran beautifully. I can't believe I didn't think of use an array! It makes so much sense...
Don't freak out BN2, but I just managed to... raise your FPS by adding in some syncs. I got 300 more FPS. It now runs at a smooth 380 FPS.

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 18:26 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 18:26
Quote: "Here, where I live, rain is celebrated, if you can believe that."

lol, lucky you! Back in rainy Wales it's been raining almost nonstop for about 2 weeks!

Quote: "The first thing you need to do is make sure that the file you're saving doesn't already exist using either PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR FILES and the checklist commands or using the other commands in the file command list. You compare name of the files in the checklist to yours. If it exists then delete it."

Use file exist() instead. It's much quicker and takes up less memory. Also I have had problems with checklists having a limited amount of entries.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 18:50
It's been so long since it rained that I can't even remember when it was.

Yeah, file exist, that's it. I don't have the computer so no dbpro with command lists... Yeah, you guys who did the furious file scan challenge... The checklist could only have max 225 entries or something?

@BN2
the editor... Didn't do anything. I don't know if i made some stupid mistake but... Nothing happens at all.

@Irojo
urwelcome
you know, maybe you should just set aside some time for youself just to read through the help files, there's plenty of interesting stuff in there!

CYMRU AM BYTH!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 21:51 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 22:56
Quote: "the editor... Didn't do anything. I don't know if i made some stupid mistake but... Nothing happens at all.
"

I think I left a wait key in there, so if you press any button you can make it.

And I think I forgot to mention it, you can press space to save the map.

Anyone else getting a weird flashing problem when you run the editor? It doesn't happen in dbc, just the exe, so I didn't catch it before.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:20
Well I don't have dbc so I used the exe and i pressed keys and clicked and it didn't do anything. If you press ESC it closes I'll try again later.

CYMRU AM BYTH!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:25 Edited at: 15th Aug 2008 00:03
Hmmm weird. Seems like my programs always have a weird glitch that only happens on one or two people's computers. Go ahead and post yours sinister. I want to see what you came up with.

@Irojo
I think the big thing you need to add is map loading. You mentioned not knowing what to do with that. So, use the open to write and read string.

here is my level loading code, so that you can see how it works.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:28
Yes please do!

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:37
Hehehe... Um... Yeah. Maybe later. (what's the code for the smiley who's looking up and to the right?)

CYMRU AM BYTH!
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:42

Didn't make it I'm guessing then?

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 00:19
Uh... I wouldnt say that. Just be patient guys, wait till I get to a pc. (thanks Irojo for the smiley)

CYMRU AM BYTH!
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 00:49
Lol np.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated the map editor.

Who has an idea for a name for our game?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 06:24
Space Miner?

Gem Fury?
Gem Rush?

Picks Of Fury?
Picks Of Legends?

Just throwing a few names out there, not that I necessarily like them all.

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 10:53
I'm gonna go away for a few days, but I was wondering, should I make a level editor too? I love doing that kind of stuff. Mabye we could have a little compitition?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure, if you want.

Hmmmm a competition, that sounds interesting, who would be the judge?

Also, I got bored and played a little Mr. Matt (free game, its just like what we are making) and really liked a level, so I did my best to re-create it for our project. I give you: our first official map.

IDK if I said this earlier, but here is the lettering key:
x=ground
o=gem
z=wall
r=rock
s=player

Oh and yeah, there is an extra row, more of a what I made my map editor do just in case it was read incorrectly (it was written to accommodate an array of 0-13, but incase I slipped and read it in a for next loop from 1-14, I didn't want to have an error). Loading it up you should start in the bottom right corner.

Enjoy!

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 20:39
Well, what about my game name idea?

ok, and I was just wondering, attached is an example picture of how the tiles link together... is it ok? And is it too repettitive, it would be fairly simple to create variations so that the ground doesn't look... well... tiled.

CYMRU AM BYTH!

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:52
I like it. It's great.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sinister
Sry, I totally forgot about your name suggestion, but it IS a good one.

Your graphic is good. Maybe you could add a small amount of noise at the part that is just brown, not sure how it would look, just an idea. Really though, it IS good, and I would say perfect for what we need it for. The tiling isn't too big of a problem, in fact it would probably look good.

A tile variation system would be cool, but maybe a bit much for now. Also would have to worry about each tile graphic changing as different tiles get cleared. If you want to work something out, thats cool.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 14:29
Ok, you mean to make it look grainier, like sand? Good idea.

Well, the cracks in the tiles link together so I thought I'd change things like the small stones and the directions of the cracks. But on the other hand... there could be tiles that have cracks which are used for where the player has been diggind and the rest of the ground has no cracks. Is that what you meant?

CYMRU AM BYTH!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I was more of thinking if there were, say 3 different tiles and which one was used was determind based off of the others around it, so that there wouldn't be 2 of the same next to each other. When you clear one, it could change the others, which could change more. Kinda a butterfly effect concept. The idea of cracks around where teh player has been digging and fewer cracks elsewhere isn't a bad one. I am good with that if there are no objections.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 20:10 Edited at: 16th Aug 2008 20:20
Ok, no problem. I just make the tiles, you do what you want with them, origianly though, I thought they would just be picked randomly but it doesn't really matter, they all fit together.

Here is, attached, what I made for, possibly, a theme song or just some music. It is a midi file. If you have any complaints or suggestions then just say. I might change it a little bit thought. I'm also considering making one of the same song but a rock version... Maybe I'll post that this evening. Along with some tile images. I realised there was something that I had to change in all of them so... Kindof like starting again... Except alot faster. Should the tile images be delivered as seperate images or all on 1 image? And shall I do the player images aswell?

EDIT:
I removed the attachement because there were mistakes. I will fix it and put it on again later.

CYMRU AM BYTH!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool thanks sinister. Lets make the images all separate, to make loading them easier (so that we don't make the get image 0,0,32,32 mistake again).

Sure, if you can make the player image, that would be cool. You said images, I am assuming alive and dead. Or did you mean for going up down left and right.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 23:18
Yeah, like little animations for walkin left, right, etc.

ok, here I attached the final version of the themesong. Your opinions will be much appreciated.

CYMRU AM BYTH!

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats freakin awesome. A++

@Irojo
If you have nothin else to do, you could always begin one of two things:

Begin coding a gui for around the map (time clock and such)

Begin working on the main menu code.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 01:20
Thanks. No suggestion/complaint then?

Maybe Irojo was assissinated by one of the Bright Noobs... Or maybe he's got other stuff to do on the weekend rather than spend his day on the forum... I find the former to be the liklier possibility.

CYMRU AM BYTH!
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 03:15
Wow, sinister, that's good music!
I was on a short vacation yesterday, and now I'm back and I have a hell of a lot of time to work on stuff.

But there have been so many posts, and I was so busy, I forgot what my assignment was !

Can someone remind me what it was? I really did forget, and now I'm embarrassed... lol.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 04:04 Edited at: 17th Aug 2008 06:23
I've been working on the menu BN2. It's lookin pretty sweet now. Oh my god Sinister. That's epic. You seriously made that? You get an award!

Let me know if you want to see the menu. Otherwise I'll post it when it's completely finished.

[EDIT]

I'm thinking of putting in a brightness bar under the Extras section. What do you think? I'd use the set gamma command.

[EDIT2]

[center]Sinani your assignment was for the physics with the rocks. Which includes testing for rock collision, making the rocks fall, etc.[center]

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure, I don't think there is a problem with that.

@Sinani
To add to what irojo said, you also have to add in code to allow the player to push a rock, but only if there is clear ground on the other side. You can only push 1 rock, not two.

So rock motion list:
-Falling
-Stacking
-Being pushed

I have a function to help determine which way a rock should fall if it lands on another rock if you want to use it, I have tweeked it since I posted it last.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 09:05
Falling--stacking--being pushed.
Thanks!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah, Irojo, if you could post your code, that would be awesome. Just want to see how it is going.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 17:05
Okay BN2. Like I said, I still want to add a brightness slider bar, but here it is so far:

Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 18:12
I wouldn't use variables close to the DBC commands e.g. dim and line.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 19:33 Edited at: 17th Aug 2008 19:37
I second Ed on that one.

It is really good, I must say. Here are a few things to check out though:

The arrow always seems to be a little bit above where it should be
loop the theme music in the back and see how it goes
Rather than using only the space key to select, also check for enter, as it seems like a more likely choice for users.

Like I said it is really good, these are just a few minor tweeks here and there.

Oh, if we can come up with a general idea for the story, I can get started on some levels.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 19:58
@Ed
Okay.

@BN2

Thanks, I'll get the theme music in, and add in the enter key ability.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 00:22
@Sinani
Since you are doing the "physics" you should check out my sand program. If you approach it the same way (like cellular autonomy) it'll be easy to get the rocks to do whatever you want in any situation.
Remember you only need to analyse the rocks NOT the entire map, as they are the only non-user-controlled things that move. This is why I suggested making an index array for the rock positions earlier.

If you need any help post back

It is far better to complete a 10 line program than to start a 10,000 line program.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 00:28
Hey guys, my brother thought of some words for the theme song incase you want to sing along!

lol, so now if you ever feel the urge to sing along those words fit in nicely with the tune... and the theme

Irojo, I'll try and check out your menu tomorrow... sounds cool though.

I'll hopefully be churning out all sorts of media for the game during the next week... hopefully. I'll try my best guys. And good luck to the coders, great job so far!

CYMRU AM BYTH!
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 00:39
Haha wow Sinister. Nice lyrics. I have your song stuck in my head. Which reminds me...

Your music is awesome. I'd love to hear more. Your really good.

@Everyone

I think The code above matches what you were asking for. Next I'm sticking in the brightness selection. Any requests or anything, let me know.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 01:04
lol, thanks, I try my best. It's specially for you guys.

Is it possible to have you change the colour of the menu? I mean, like on Yahoo! Mail you can choose what colour theme youi want. Do you know what I mean?

CYMRU AM BYTH!
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 01:19
Oh! I get what your saying, like changing the background. But who would go to change the menu background, when they won't be there long? Or do you want it to be assigned randomly at the beginning each time?

As promised, the brightness bar:

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, since it will all be the same program, we could always keep the same background there during the game, along with some extra lines and such to keep in nice and orderly.

I mean, lets face it, a game with a black border with some white text here and there is just boring.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 01:23
Here here!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:29:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:29:52