Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / StarScape One

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 06:56 Edited at: 6th May 2009 06:58
Quote: "will earth have satellites? you'll need five hundred of them "

500? Dont you think thats not quiet enough?

on a more serious note:

Looking good! cant wait for the demo.

"The Beginning is the end."
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL E2200 2.2 GHz 4 Gb RAM GeForce 9600 512 mb
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 18:20 Edited at: 6th May 2009 18:21
@castek Hehe, nice image. That gave me an idea

Yes, Earths "ring system" is made out of old satellites., I plan to add a system in to when you get close to rings, asteroids appear, But for earths, you will see satellites.

@tha_rami Yeah I should pay attention to the options menu's more for games, I never knew how to setup high res textures in Age of Empires 3 until I realised you could scroll down . Dont worry there will be much more updates this month .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 19:18
Lol nice, glad I could be helpful xD

"The Beginning is the end."
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL E2200 2.2 GHz 4 Gb RAM GeForce 9600 512 mb
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 19:27
That looks realy cool. The satellites are not going to have a good time in the midst of battle, eh. That is a very proffesional screenshot BTW.

Survivor: Survival Horror project

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147700&b=25
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 23:40
yeah, the rings is quite cool

you should rotate the rings like this picture

Note the outer satellites, they tend to be telescopes

Not in cruelty, Not in wrath The Reaper came today;
An Angel visited this gray path And took the cube away.
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
@All Thanks!

@Ocho Geek You mean make the rings thinner? In the "rings" of earth, there are about 300 times more satellites that there is now, which is why the "rings" are quite thick but I might make them thinner

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 15:09
no, the ring of satellites aren't in that shape, they're more in the shape of a tape roll

Not in cruelty, Not in wrath The Reaper came today;
An Angel visited this gray path And took the cube away.
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 14:54 Edited at: 12th May 2009 14:55
Ah I see now, Ill have a think about it as creating rings in that shape isnt going to be easy if theres going to be millions more of them

HK 48
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi serial its been a while it is good to see that you are still working on this i have another suggestion you should have "goodie bags" so when you find a wreak lets say in deep space you can get stuff from it using specialized tools.

I hope you use this suggestion.

BTW best of luck i hope you are very succesful

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2009 20:56 Edited at: 17th May 2009 20:57
Quote: "this i have another suggestion you should have "goodie bags" so when you find a wreak lets say in deep space you can get stuff from it using specialized tools."

Its a good suggestion but what I had in mind was that if you encounter a wreck in your travels or end up destroying another ship, you can steal any cargo left behind in the ship or if you have specialized equipment, dismantle them and use the aquired metal for selling or building drones.

Quote: "BTW best of luck i hope you are very succesful"

Thanks! I never get tired of these comments

DyVo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 18:02
@ Serial Velocity
Wow it is looking more awesome everyday I look at it!
BTW do you make the planet textures yourself, if so a little insight in how would be nice

Regards
DyVo

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=148821&b=3
Easter Present -- Sniper Rifle -- Easter Present
Happy Easter!
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wow it is looking more awesome everyday I look at it!"

Thanks

Quote: "do you make the planet textures yourself, if so a little insight in how would be nice"

For the fictional worlds, yes I made them myself using Photoshop CS2. How I do it is basically just using the HUGE Blue Marble Next Generation Earth Texture from Nasa Visible Earth, "cutting out" the continents and simply shaping them out. After I put them onto a blue sea and add clouds based on Earths Clouds from the Visible Earth site. For gas giants, I just combined one of the four gas giants in our solar system; edited it with the clone stamp tool and recoloured it.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 01:11
I notice all of your screenshots show a 3rd person view. Will there be an option for first person as well? (I have read all of this thread, so I apologize if this has been covered somewhere )

The one and only,

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I notice all of your screenshots show a 3rd person view. Will there be an option for first person as well?"

Dont worry this hasnt been covered anywhere yet, what I wanted to do first is to get all the gameplay mechanics and everything working first before adding First Person or other views so things dont get complicated.

Jade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 00:55
Im not sure if any one pointed this out, (im not sure i got the newest demo) but the ships blaster bols go WAY slower than the ship. i can shoot and then catch up and pass the bolts. And if i am moving and i shoot, then stop, the bolts go flying past me.

"What is it with you and ascending women?" -Dr. Mckay from SGA- ^_^
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 00:58 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 00:59
@Jade It was pointed out a few months ago, but the demo you have is very old and outdated but I have another in the works. What was suggested is that when you shoot, the bullets move at the bullet speed + the ships velocity so you dont seem to move the speed of the bullets when you shoot while using the afterburner, and im going to implement that .

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 22:59
Looking good.

wolfy
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 23:08
This has come a long way Serial ^^, nicely done indeed.

I can't remember if this has been covered, but what is the flight model like? I think it would be cool if it was fully newtonian xD.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 00:46 Edited at: 26th May 2009 00:47
Quote: "Looking good."

Quote: "This has come a long way Serial ^^, nicely done indeed."

Thanks!

Quote: "I think it would be cool if it was fully newtonian"

Yep its now fully newtonian, with inertia and everything.

Wiredbomb0
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that looks really cool! That's perfect! Keep it up!
Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 09:54
Serial Velocity:
Use MediaFire for uploads less than 100MB. If you want even faster speeds, use code.google.com, even if it's meant for open source projects =P

It looks amazing so far. The only demo you have posted I can't download... it goes to the upload page for that hosting site X_X

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please change your "moddy freak out" size to 600x240px. Thanks
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 12:41 Edited at: 28th May 2009 12:43
@Twisted Steel Software I reuploaded the demo to MediaFire, you can download here

Quote: "It looks amazing so far."

Quote: "Wow, that looks really cool! That's perfect! Keep it up! "

Thanks!

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Split-screen modes are now possible!

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 19:14
Great, great! Good job on achieving this.
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 18:25
Oooo. This will be a fun game. Have you talked to Game Informer yet? lol

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 20:52
This is my favorite wip on the board :p There's always something kul and exciting each time you update it.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
@Gears of War Not yet

@Josh Mooney Heh, thanks.

----------------------------

Recently I've been having a tough time with my current way of handling solar systems. There is severe limitations with it: your only limited to have one sun; the moons are more limited than planets in terms of settings and its not possible to create any forms of binary planets without some workarounds (setting a planet to radius=0 and making two planets which are classed as moons in the engine orbit around it). I've decided to begin rewriting how the solar system is handled and make the system more flexible. This is also an opportunity to make the .ssd file (I explained about a few months ago) alot more simpler and easier to make. This is my current draft of one:

As you can probably be able to tell, that script creates a solar system under the name of "DoubleSystem" with 2 suns in orbit around eachother; with a planet and its moon. You may be wondering what the numbers are next to "AddPlanet" and "AddSun"; those are System IDs and can be set alot like Object Numbers in DBPro. I've put that system in so you can make any object orbit any by specifying its ID in the Parent variable.

Any suggestions or improvements?

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 23:52 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 23:53
Yay 10,000 Views

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 20:15
Feels good, doesn't it?

My best as of now is 14,457, but you're going to get way past that.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 20:20 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 20:21
LOL doubt it. Nobody seems to have commented on the Solar System thing I posted above, is it really that bad?

Heres a shot of the new ring shadows, it uses the shader dark coder posted in april.

Attachments

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2009 12:30
Quote: "Nobody seems to have commented on the Solar System thing I posted above, is it really that bad?"

Not bad for a start

So many ways to do it...it is just how you make it. I think you'll make many changes and additions to that 'ssd' format, as you want to add new features or characteristics, until you eventually decide the final version.

And so, there are many other 'fields' that can be added to each entity. You decide which ones are treated with the program...
As an idea, you can leave some 'blank' fields for each type, that would allow functionality expansions in the future.

At the same time, do not limit the fields by using booleans values unless strictly useful. For example, 'Rings = Yes/No'? I bet you will want different kinds of rings, and not all the planets using the same one, so it could be better to say 'Rings = 0,1,2...'.

Glad you got the new shadow shader working, looking good
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
For the expansion part, thats why ive put the "SSD" version thing at the start, so it knows what type its loading up. The reason rings is a boolean is when its set to "YES" it looks for the ring texture and creates a ring system, otherwise it doesnt.

Jade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 19:53
haha ok. ill get the new one then

"What is it with you and ascending women?" -Dr. Mckay from SGA- ^_^
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 21:10
Looks cool, the way you handle solar system creation is interesting to me as I am doing something very similar. Mine are randomly generated though so tis a bit different.

Love the shadow on the rings!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:51
Morcilla is right about the Boolean/Value thing, though - if you decide to have multiple ring textures, it might help to have some sort of ID .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 10:58 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 14:53
The reason the Rings Parameter is a boolean because if its set to yes, it will search the system texture folder for "<planetID>r.png" when planetID can be from 1 to lets say 8. The PlanetID starts at 1 when the first planet is created and it increases by 1 with every new planet created from the SSD file.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 20:42 Edited at: 11th Jul 2009 20:43
Hey, sorry I havent given out any updates for a while, this is because I am completely rewriting the project in DarkGDK with C++. As the project wasnt too far into development I've managed to get it to almost the state it was in before.

The reason I have moved to GDK was because GDK is faster compared to DBPro and I can also take advantage the power of C++.

Screenshot (With Anti Aliasing):

This is actually Saturn, for the moment everything is hard coded and the planets dont have any rings, moons etc. (Well rings are in but their very buggy). As im using a class for my planets its going to be really easy to add new features to it like atmosphere effects and such.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks amazing. Very well done. Looks awesome mate. Real good.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 21:27
Smart move, switching to DGDK. It'll probably get at least a 1/3 speed increase. Make sure you post once it looks more like your new DBPro version!

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 22:46
Excellent ^^, yay for DarkGDK! Planet looks beautiful

Glad this project hasn't disappeared.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 22:53
lol the thought just occurred to me- this is like the better, 3D version of Project Eres! It's even written with the same engine! (No offense Phosphoer)

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 22:55 Edited at: 11th Jul 2009 22:56
Quote: "this is like the better, 3D version of Project Eres!"

No way! Project Eres is awesome.

@All Thanks for the compliments , I'm trying to impliment a decent atmosphere shader into this once and for all (Lifeless Earths doesnt quite cut it)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 19:21 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 21:32
@ Serial Velocity
How have you overcome the issue of the vibrating camera with the scale of this game? (What sort of scale does this use etc.)

I ask this as I've recently had a horrible problem that's stopping progress on my own project, see the attached picture for what I mean.

I've seen posts on how to overcome it, and people think you can just scale the game down, but the proportions are all the same. - The only way I can think of solving it would be to move everything else, and keep the player stationary. (And I'd rather not do that.)

I'm greatful for any assistance you can offer me.

EDIT:
Picture taken out for discrepency after the problem was solved.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 19:38 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 22:54
Well infact its really simple, I just make sure the camera doesnt leave the origin (0, 0, 0). The vibrating effect is caused from floating point numbers becoming really inaccurate when they become big.

How I do this is when every object is updated, I translate all of them at minus the camera position, then I position the camera at 0, 0, 0; it seems your camera is moving but infact its always at the origin. Make sure you stick a function for this at the end of your loop or you could get some strange artifacts.

Heres the GDK code for this workaround in 2 functions:

lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 04:50 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 08:29
this is coming along very nicely, i cant wait to see what you offer in the future..

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 14:48 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 14:48
This is coming along very good, keep this up.

qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 22:52
Quote: "I've seen posts on how to overcome it, and people think you can just scale the game down, but the proportions are all the same. - The only way I can think of solving it would be to move everything else, and keep the player stationary. (And I'd rather not do that.)"

what i do is have zones. you can have a whole galaxy of stars, for example, if it is split into, say, 1000 cubes. the cube you are in, and the nearest 9 cubes, all have their objects at hi res. the cubezones right outside of those cubes, have low res. and objects dont normally show in cubes outside of that. each time you move from one cube over to the other cube(zone), everything is repositioned
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "this is coming along very nicely, i cant wait to see what you offer in the future.."

Quote: "This is coming along very good, keep this up."

Thanks Guys!

----------------------

I've finally properly begun work on the Combat Prototype I promised you all ages ago , however I'm in the process of making the AI more intelligent. What do you guys think about how the AI should work? Just follow and shoot? Create a waypoint to the target?

I hope to finally release this soon, I'm never giving out a deadline again

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 17:02 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 17:16
Hi this is Vee

I played the demo, and I must say its actally a work of art.
I mean the stars in the game are not just a few in there is like alot of stars in there and the best part is you can be far away and it still looks good.

The controls are very smooth as your turning, and moving through the galaxy. The lights look fantastic!
Go look at the planet, and look at the light its fantastic!.

I even noticed how smooth the thrusters moved with the ship.

Everything looks like it is comming together really nice. The only thing I wished though there was more content, and alot more stuff to explore!

I can't wait until I see his new demo I bet it has all kinds of new stuff in it. Man I can't wait! but i'm sure making us all wait it is probably going to be worth it!

Now lets tell you what the bad part is well to me its a boring game no ships to fight I mean all you do is fly around. Were is the action in it, and more to explore?

Vee
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Vee,

Quote: "and I must say its actally a work of art."

Quote: "The controls are very smooth as your turning, and moving through the galaxy. The lights look fantastic!"

Thanks

Quote: "I wished though there was more content, and alot more stuff to explore!"

Trust me theres way more content now

Quote: "its a boring game no ships to fight I mean all you do is fly around."

I wasnt intending that demo to be like that, it was basically a tech demo showcasing some of the graphics I've put in. But my next demo will be aimed at demonstrating how combat could turn out.

---------------------------

I've uploaded a new video onto my youtube account showcasing the space physics of the game, including inertia, which is the effect of the frictionless environment of space. You can watch this here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-15 00:21:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-15 00:21:53