Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Escape-The Living Dead

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 12:15 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 12:16
Actually that's all that happens at the moment but I intend to add quite a few phrases which can appear randomly depending on his mood. Text is temporary as I want to add these as sounds, sometimes just a grunt or something.

The current text is very basic and only temporary, I'm looking forward to putting some random funny comments in.

Also I have changed the look of it so it's black writing on a white background. The main text window is quite sci-fi now and at the bottom of the screen...
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 07:03 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 07:10
Quote: "5- I happen to be a fan of George A. Romero and as this game is intended to be a 'funny' take on the traditional zombie game (for which no game company can claim to be truly original) I think it's a fitting nod to old George which I hope he would appreciate."

Im just trying to make a point here by not being mean (unless your offended by what I say) but never mind I think Hideo Kojima copied movie ideas like Metal Gear Solid=Escape From New York,Snatcher=Blade Runner so it really doesn't matter

Im a making a game soon..
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 10:58
No problem, I wasn't offended.

Sometimes I think people forget that it is very hard (impossible even) to come up with something truly original, I was just trying to point out that I was making a parody/comedy rather than attempting to make something 100% original.

I see your point about Hideo but also remember that movie makers have stolen many ideas from games as well; Tomb Raider, Resident Evil etc. Also that those ideas were probably themed on film / literature originally (Tomb Raider-Raiders of the Lost Ark: The original character of Lara Croft was going to be male...).

It's a chicken and egg situation...

Thanks for your input though, looking back on my reply I may have seemed a bit harsh but I do appreciate your comments!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 19:08 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 22:18
Just a quick update:

I have added most of the next area and it's looking pretty good.

I've been held up a bit as 3DWS won't start even from a fresh install so I'm making my own level editor. As a CAD developer I am having quite a lot of fun adding even the basic features!

I'll probably add a WIP for my editor too soon but for now work has slowed a bit through necesity.

My Editor below:

I'll be adding Lightmapping and possibly vertex manipulation at a later date...

Link to the WIP thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154573&b=8
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 19:19
Looks pretty cool! I wanna play the demo

Oh No, there's too much blood in my caffeine system!
Stack Overflow: Too many pancakes...
The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH'. -Weinberg, p.152
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
How is it going?

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!"
- Homer J. Simpson
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 10:59
I'm still sorting my editor out. Trying to keep it basic but I keep getting carried away...

As for the game I have a working puzzle for the next level but need to sort out 3DWS or finish my editor to get the level finished.

It would be nice if Leadwerks would answer my requests for help!
Coca Cola
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Plus emotions on a charcter when he did something wrong can be a tad bit annoying at times. DAMN IT I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT KEY CODE,DAMN IT I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT KEY CODE, DAMN IT I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT KEY CODE , DAMN IT I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT KEY CODE!!"

Just make him get slowly more and more angry, so what he says changes. Also, just make sure he says it like 1 in 3 times not every time, but I'm sure you have already thought of that.

Quote: "It's a zombie game ( yawn...never seen one of those before )"

I'd love to see your humor shine through into this game.

It's great. Keep working!

Light, refreshing taste.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 22:17
Thanks, mind if I call you Coke?

Humour is the ONLY reason this game is being made!

That and the fact that I am a Geek!

...and the possibility that I might create a game I would like to play!

OK, humour isn't the only reason, but it is the main one!
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 22:04 Edited at: 24th Jul 2009 23:18
I've found a collision glitch.

When I was typing in the code, I was at the wall, and then suddenly I get pushed out of the game world.

I attached a screenshot.

If you want, I can show you a video of how I did that.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the video that shows the glitch. (i discovered it by accident).

The video is in .wmv format.

I suggest you figure out a way to fix this.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 18:01 Edited at: 30th Jul 2009 18:02
How's the progress right now? I'm just wondering...

read my two previous posts, (they contain information on the collision problems I found)

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's not stupid.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 10:55
Hi Potassium,
Thanks for the posts and info on the collision glitch. I would have answered earlier but I've been on Holiday for the last week!

I will look into it but I guess it's just a case of tweeking the collision system slightly, or maybe just move the console over a bit, either way I'll sort it out.

At the moment I'm trying to finish my level editor as 3DWS has stopped working and nobody is helping me fix it!

I'll try to update this post as soon as I get stuck in again, the main thing at the moment for me is to have a working editor to build and light-map my rooms, otherwise I'm going nowhere!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 10:41
Just a quick update so the post is not locked!

I am still working on this and slowly building the levels up. I've made a few improvements but as I said previously I've been a bit held up!

I am also working on several other projects including my level editor and a 2D platform game I haven't fully worked out the idea for yet.

Thanks for looking anyway!
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah if you are going to abandon the project, then at least give us all the source so we can learn and hopefully improve on your code. Then we could post the improved version, then you get motivation, then you work on the game, then you finish the game, and in the end, you have a finished game because you gave the source to the public. But thats only if...

There are 2 ways to develop for the N64:
1. Develop C code with PsyQ SDK and illegal Nintendo libs
2. Develop C code with legal kits, such as the Ground Zero devkit (g0dev.zip)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 10:40
If I was going to abandon the project I would say so.
If I needed motivation I would look for it.
If you want my source code I'll consider putting it on here but what I actually said was:
Quote: "I am still working on this and slowly building the levels up. I've made a few improvements but as I said previously I've been a bit held up!"

At no point did I say I was abandoning it...?
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 17:52
Nice work so far. WIth regards to dark AI, remember that the AI movement commands shouldn't be called on update. They only need to be updated if the destination has changed! I found that calling DarkAI commands as little as possible was the only way to get any speed out of it!

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 18:06
Thanks @Butter Fingers, I'll make sure I'm only calling it when necessary!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 01:56:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 01:56:27