Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 10:54
umm... Chrome now gives me a malware warning when i go on this thread... Maybe someone's signature links to a site that's been hacked?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Aguilae
Years of Service
User Offline
Does the 1.1 release have video streaming from the internet?
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 21:54
@Aguilae - The 1.1 official release will have streaming from internet but the first beta of 1.1 probably won't.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 13:31 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 13:37
We've placed the first *alpha* of Dark Video Capture at:

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo/darkvideo_capture_alpha_11_08_09.rar

This is very experimental at the moment so if you encounter problems, it's because it's not yet ready. Sound capture is not yet implemented.

Any feedback you can give us is appreciated. If it's crashing for you, we've got a fair idea why. If it's stuttering for you, we've got a fair idea why too. But the more people test it, the better. If you do encounter problems, any information you can post about your OS, graphics card etc will really help us.

We recommend running it on a decent graphics card and we're also interested in your thoughts on what kind of resolutions you're hoping to capture. Off the top of my head and at this point in time, I don't think resolutions like 1600x1200 will be possible.

I've just tried it on a laptop here (Centrino Duo, 2gb ram, Intel GMA950 graphics and Windows 7) and it didn't work so more investigation needs to be done on these kind of laptop specs. I don't know whether this is to do with Windows 7 or because the graphics chipset is useless.

I've also been trying it on my machine (Core 2 Quad, 8gb ram, ATI 4870 Crossfire graphics and Windows Vista x64) and it's working fine.

Included in the rar is a video of the DBPro RoadTerrain project, captured at 60fps to a 256x256 avi (RoadTerrain_capture.avi). It seems to be very smooth. Also, there's the standard Dark Video playback project but simultaneously capturing to a 256x256 avi (c:darkvideo_capture.avi) as it's decoding the Dark Video movie! We're currently working on getting the output resolution as high and as smooth as we can.

Lastly, thanks to Paul Johnston of TGC for sending some tips over for minimising stalls between the processor and graphics card.

EDIT: I forgot to say. The captured videos are upside down. This is a known issue and one we haven't got around to fixing yet.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 19:23 Edited at: 13th Aug 2009 19:26
Oh yes, the intel graphics chipsets are a nightmare. For games technology I wouldn't even consider supporting them. The X3100 (GMA965) and 4500HMD are better though. I've even had the 4500 running FPS Creator X10. Don't try it though, the framerate wasn't high.

If you write it so it records at 1280 x 720 you can state that it records in HD.

Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 20:39
Yeah, these Intel chipsets aren't very good. I think the fact that it doesn't work on the GMA 950 is probably something I'm doing that's not supported in the driver. Needs more investigation...
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 04:52
Most people looking to develop anything but the most basic of games is looking for a world of trouble with an Intel GMA950 anyway.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 19:49
That is very true, but you can't determine what your end-user will have It would be good to know about compatibility so you can respond to user problems.

aki
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also, there's the standard Dark Video playback project but simultaneously capturing to a 256x256 avi (c:darkvideo_capture.avi) as it's decoding the Dark Video movie! We're currently working on getting the output resolution as high and as smooth as we can."

So, does this mean we can play video recorded from another application in realtime?
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 13:59
No. The demonstration program is simply playing a movie from disk as the capture is capturing. So you can capture pre-captured (from a previous session and previously saved to a disk) but not live capture as it's happening.
lulubeauty
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same question,

can it record the directx output of the game being executed?
http://www.wire-mesh-fence.net

http://www.wire-mesh-fence.net
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 19:46
@lulubeauty - Yes, that's what the (alpha) sample is doing that's linked to above in an earlier post. We noted that the release was an alpha. We haven't released an official version with capture in at this time.

There's no demo dll, it's just a test DBPro exe. Interest was strong at the start for video capture but after we created the alpha version, it seems to have dropped off to nothing so we're not in a rush to release 1.1.

NOTE: You cannot capture from one application to another. You can only capture the application that's hosting Dark Video.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 20:13 Edited at: 30th Aug 2009 20:14
All I need is the ability to stop, play, select a frame to play from, get the total number video frames, and adjust play speed. Once that's implimented I can move forward with my own project.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 02:32
Quote: "it seems to have dropped off to nothing so we're not in a rush to release 1.1"

Been watching and waiting for this to be completed, almost prepaid a few days ago. After reading the above I am glad I did not.

Though, I do hope you complete the capture commands.
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 03:04
Hey guys,

I've only really read page one, its getting late that's all, I totally agree with the others this is expensive.

BUT. How would it "make our game better" I think was said by Something Cove Something, the creator.

I cant see any use for "lightning fast video playback" when the "creating a dark basic app's in 9 (?) clicks" shows how to do it.

so I'm enquiring about its uses for cost, Physics is great, as Is AI, which are things that its been compared to, I think video playback, considering what DB already has as well, is slightly lower priority in a game.

Also, with regards to the first page,

This was apart of my GCSE business studies course.

when products are marketed there are two forms of price (separate but influenced by the 4 p's of a product)

Creaming & Skimming.

Creaming is when products are expected not to sell in great quantities, our example was wedding-dresses, a manufacturer must make some money (a large amount as they sell so little compared to my other example) so the overhead or margin on them is very high.

Skimming is the opposite, its when you expect to sell lots of a product so you go for a low margin on each, our example was "coke cans"

Sorry if this is totally useless, i am just so excited about doing well in my exams and getting my first recognised qualifications (GCSE's)

I look forward to your response, as for the uses of this product.

~Havok

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 15:15
Havok, all you do in every thread is talk negatively about every plugin which gets released.

Why don't you instead of making negative comments, just not say anything at all. I'm getting a little tired of reading all these negative posts about everything.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because we're sadistic losers with nothing better to do. (joke)
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 16:05
@Daniel TGC - You've been able to stop and play since the very first version (unless you mean play and stop from a certain frame?). In the post above, there's a link to a beta version that has the total number of video frames:

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo/darkvideo_31_07_09.rar

DARKVIDEO GET MOVIE NUMBER OF FRAMES( movieId ) - returns the total number of frames in the movie.

Other commands that were added in that version are:

DARKVIDEO IS MOVIE LOOPING( movieId ) - returns '0' if the movie doesn't loop or '1' for if it does.

DARKVIDEO IS MOVIE FINISHED( movieId ) - returns '0' if the movie hasn't reached the end or '1' if it has. Note: currently, there's no way to rewind the movie. That's for 1.1.

DARKVIDEO GET MOVIE CURRENT FRAME( movieId ) - returns the current displayed frame (likely different to the current buffered frame which you're probably not interested in).

DARKVIDEO GET MOVIE FRAMERATE( movieId ) - returns the framerate of the movie.

DARKVIDEO GET MOVIE NUMBER OF FRAMES( movieId ) - returns the total number of frames in the movie.

@tschwarz - If you're solely in need of the video capture stuff, it's best to wait until the official version is out or look into FRAPS. The idea of the alpha above was so interested parties could test it and let us know if it's working fast, slow or just plain doesn't work. We did this because we don't have every graphics card variation here. The capture commands are done by the way and have been done since the alpha was posted above.

@HavokDelta6 - Considering you have a GCSE in business studies, I would've thought it would be obvious to you that a product that only some people will find useful (it doesn't have universal appeal like AI or Physics) would have to be sold at a higher cost to recuperate costs. Dark Video is probably more of a niche product than most and so needs to be priced accordingly.

Dark Video is a bit different to other plugins too, in that it comes with a complete Encoder. You're really paying for a license to use the encoder to transcode movies without a watermark.

If you're wondering what the use of Dark Video is, it's to play movies and play them very fast. Not to mention there's no need for any kind of external CODEC. Everything you need is in that little dll. If you don't know why you'd ever need any of this, Dark Video is obviously not for you and you'd probably be better sticking with the built-in commands.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 16:21
the people who are negative about this really don`t what goes into making a plugin like this , video is really difficult , i have been trying for around a year to capture video from a directx surface/backbuffer using the vfw api and still have no luck , and these guys churn out recording in a matter of weeks , with ther own codec no less .

Good luck guys i hope you sell loads you deserve it ..

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 17:34
@ Mobiius
- I don't try and ask questions, would I have been around when DarkAI and DarkPhysics came out, I would have been extremely positive. Physics and AI are both things you can keep yourself amused with for hours. I don't feel this same level of fun is achievable with DarkVideo, hence I ask questions about its use, you also have to remember that I've got my GCSE reward to spend, I'm spending it VERY cautiously, asking myself if i really want the product, so I am very out-of-the-norm critical to things. in this case £50 is a decent chunk.

But on a positive note, Those who are looking for advanced video functions in darkbasic, have come to the right place

@Deep-cove, the curiculam didn't really cover much on software success in the market, nor what really makes a product sucessful (on an induvidual market level), so you thought kinda wrong there lol, My corsework was starting a shop business, and it covered alot of the finaincail side, (equations for varous forms of tax and words that you wouldn't think exist, types of revinue and so on)

Anyway thanks for sort-of answer my question (in a way that was still useful)

I will now stop posting on this thread unless there is something adressed to me that i should prehaps answer.

Goodluck with your plugin, I hope you make "a nice bit'o'bunce" from it

~Havok

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 17:46 Edited at: 31st Aug 2009 17:47
@chunks chunks - Thanks for your comments!

What are you having trouble with regarding video capture? Basically, you need to create a gpu render target texture (D3DPOOL_DEFAULT) that can be of different dimensions to the backbuffer. Then you use 'StretchRect' to blit from the backbuffer to your render target texture. This may take a while to complete so it's best to access it quite a while afterwards otherwise you'll cause stalls. To then get the data from the render target, you'd need to have created a plain texture of the same dimensions and colour format. Then you call GetRenderTargetData to transfer the data from your render target texture on the graphics card to your system ram texture.

In short...

1) Create your gpu render target texture:

D3DXCreateTexture( m_pDevice, width, height, 0, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &m_pTargetGPU );

2) Create your system ram render target texture:

D3DXCreateTexture( m_pDevice, width, height, 0, 0, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM, &m_pTargetSys );

3) When you're ready, blit the contents of the backbuffer to your gpu render target:

m_pDevice->StretchRect( pBackBuffer, NULL, pSurface, NULL, D3DTEXF_NONE );

(pSurface is the top level surface of m_pTargetGpu)

4) Some time later, transfer the contents of the gpu render target to your system ram render target:

m_pDevice->GetRenderTargetData( pSrc, pDst );

(pSrc is the top level surface of m_pTargetGpu; pDst is the top level surface of m_pTargetSys)

You can now lock the system ram surface and use it to output to your avi.

You should implement some kind of thread that handles a queue of system surfaces and you should implement some kind of buffering system as you'll likely have to wait a number of frames before you can access the results of the StretchRect via GetRenderTargetData without causing stalling (it's most likely the LockRect on the system ram surface that would cause stalling if everything is not complete at this point).

If you'd originally wanted to capture video from DBPro, you'd need to look into hooking and intercepting calls to stuff like IDirect3DDevice9:: Present which is a whole other evil kettle of fish .

EDIT: Removed double colon global scope operators on functions that cause smileys.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 19:02
Then all I need is the play from frame command. or set frame command, and the plugin will be perfect.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 19:09
thanks for the info , i will look into this , yes you are right i was getting the backbuffer to start with and was using d3dxsavesurfacetomemory and was going from there it was way too slow for avi but fine for screenshots lol .

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 19:37
Quote: "umm... Chrome now gives me a malware warning when i go on this thread... Maybe someone's signature links to a site that's been hacked?"

It's probably from one of the Google Ads in the forum. The ones from AOL have been hijacking my cursor and preventing me from scrolling down the thread.

Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 20:08
@HavokDelta6 - If you've got £50 burning a hole in your pocket, you'd be best buying the DBPro Bonanza, which is fantastic value for money. Add a bit more money and a copy of Batman Arkham Asylum would top it off just nicely for those times when you need to just relax .

In short, Dark Video is really meant for products that need fast video playback. The encoder can also save a lot of time and the lack of a need to worry about whether certain codecs are installed is one of the best features I think. If you just want to play a video every now and then, you're probably best off with the built-in commands. Dark Video would be a better bet for high resolution in-game movies though. It's meant as an addition to the functionality in DBPro, not a replacement. It was originally modelled on the very high performance of Bink Video, which is used in most AAA games.
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 22:05
Quote: "@Deep-cove, the curiculam didn't really cover much on software success in the market, nor what really makes a product sucessful (on an induvidual market level), so you thought kinda wrong there lol, My corsework was starting a shop business, and it covered alot of the finaincail side, (equations for varous forms of tax and words that you wouldn't think exist, types of revinue and so on)

Anyway thanks for sort-of answer my question (in a way that was still useful)
"

Hi,
I don't want to offtopic...

I'm a Magister in Business Administration. From my point of view the price was well established. I'm very eager to know what kind of analysis and equations do you reefer to and how do they apply to this particular case, if you can put it in an example you will do me a great favor(if people don't understand don't worry about it, we can explain them later). It will be very useful for me to know .

Thank you so much.
Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 07:04
@ Deep Cove
I don't know why people growl about the price of your plugin, to me, who is developing an application that possibly has commercial value, $49.99 for Dark Video will be a great investment, even if I'm the only person who in the end is using my application.

Quote: "Interest was strong at the start for video capture but after we created the alpha version, it seems to have dropped off to nothing so we're not in a rush to release 1.1."

Because of the industry that I am in, video capture from DBPro screen output is very important. Even to the extent of capturing just portions of the screen, such as Virtual Movie Studio's 3D editor screen.

I'm watching this thread closely and looking forward to seeing release 1.1. So please continue with video capture as it will save me time in producing my own dll.
Cheers
Bob

Oh my gosh! He's wearing Full Metal Pyjamas!
--------------------------------------------
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 01:40
@Batty Ratty - We'll definitely be releasing 1.1 at some point (we're very busy with other obligations at the minute). The capture commands are done but need some optimisation. Also, there's streaming from http to be done, the ability to play from an arbitrary frame and the ability to encrypt movies.

I don't know why there's been such an outrage at the price either. We always intended to add new features to this product which is one of the reasons we set it at $49.99. Some people have mistakenly said it's £50 which has added to the confusion too. It seems there's a general consensus that it's $49.99 for just the plugin. When in reality, it's the plugin plus a complete self-contained encoder.

Anyway, we've got a lot of ideas for this product. And as more features are added, the price will always stay the same.
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 11:37
Quote: "... we've got a lot of ideas for this product. And as more features are added, the price will always stay the same. "

And more we buy it, the better DV will be.

Waiting for 1.1...

I hope the size of dll wont exceed much over 500 kilos. Cant you split it to two components?
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 13:11
Quote: "We'll definitely be releasing 1.1 at some point (we're very busy with other obligations at the minute). The capture commands are done but need some optimisation."

As said before, looking forward to incorporate video capture into my DGDK product here.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 11:09
@Juso - The size of the dll has doubled to about 600kb. It won't get much bigger than that. We were thinking of splitting the functionality at one point but it's much easier to maintain in one library and the size isn't that bad yet, so best to leave it as is it at the moment.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 11:22 Edited at: 11th Sep 2009 12:11
Our priority is finalising DarkVideo 1.1 but after that's out, how many people would be interested in a CSG editor, like 3D World Studio?

We have a prototype app that's working for the most part (this is a couple of years old and was never really finished). You can see the screenshots below. If people are interested in this, we could get it complete and improved (after DarkVideo 1.1 is done) and approach TGC with it. The price would probably be something like $40-$50 US. This app was heavily influenced by Valve's Hammer Editor.

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/tgc/csg_ed1.png
http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/tgc/csg_ed2.png
http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/tgc/csg_ed3.png
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 11:53
Quote: "how many people would be interested in a CSG editor, like 3D World Studio?"

I guess it depends on how easy it is to use, and what it does that no other level editor can do.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because we're sadistic losers with nothing better to do. (joke)
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 00:09 Edited at: 6th Oct 2009 00:17
HD is the buzz word these days, youtube has it, TV's have it, bluray has it, cable and satalite has it, and of course. Games have it! Just to give people an idea of the speed and usability DarkVIDEO helps bring. I've rendered a HD video (1280 x 720 @ 25FPS) and written a quick DBPro app.

On my Toshiba L300 (Intel 4 graphics chipset) it runs amazingly well. The video loads fast, there's no hard drive hacking, playback is smooth, the sound is crisp and clear.

But why take my word for it? Grab the demo and look for yourself!

Download here filesize 4.4Mb

For those of you who wonder why youtube's in the title, I'm about half way through writing a tutorial on the plugin, I'll likely upload it sometime this month.

The video just loops so if you miss it the first time (yes it loads that quick) just wait 10 seconds and it'll repeat. Just press escape to exit.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 18:16
Just to let you all know that we haven't disappeared. We've just been and still are extremely busy.

We've decided to drop the 1.1 version now and release the new version as DarkVideo 2 instead. We're really hoping to have it ready for early/mid November 2009.

Here's a screen shot of the brand new DarkVideo 2 Encoder. I'm sure you'll agree that it looks infinitely better than the original.

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo/darkvideo2encoder.png

If you take a look at the folder pane (left), you'll see that you now browse to a folder that contains your movies. When you select a folder, the file pane (bottom) shows all supported movies in that folder and info about each movie. It's now a simple matter of checking which movies you'd like to encode and let the encoder batch process them. We've also massively overhauled the encoding speed so that certain movies (x264 etc that used to encode at 1fps are now faster than the playback speed). The properties pane (not seen but on the left) shows options in a nice new property sheet. The encoder is written is MFC/C++ (the last one was wxWidgets/C++) so it's just as fast as the old one.

We're currently still optimising the capture and currently working on rewriting parts of the core ready for requested and upcoming features so please bear with us.

@Daniel - that's a big video. Glad to hear DarkVideo is pulling its weight for you .

Lastly, DarkVideo 2 is a free upgrade to users of DarkVideo 1 (it will use exactly the same serials you have now) and the price will remain at $50US ( IT IS NOT £50 ).
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 23:44 Edited at: 6th Oct 2009 23:44
Daniel, thanks for the example you provided us. I'm impressed with the video capabilities in itself which is a steal for $50. I'm almost tempted to buy this.

But, what's holding me back is that I want to make sure the sound quality is just as good as the video quality. When I played that darkprinciples video, well to me, it sounded like the audio had a loss in quality. It had some kind of watery effect to it that reminded me of the old Real Audio player's audio( well, "not as bad" ). Ofcoarse, mabie it's just the quality of the sound effect itself and had nothing to do with DarkVideo.

Please( with on top ),

* I would like to see a 10-20 second demo where DarkVideo is playing back captured "HD"( or high quality ) audio and also include the audio in an original uncompressed .wav format. The sound should be something like somebody talking in the foreground and have noticable background sounds like a mall, city street or a busy park.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 13:10 Edited at: 7th Oct 2009 13:10
The wabbling effect is part of the sound effect I used. But now you come to mention it I suppose it does sound like the early realaudio codecs. lol

You can check it against the original wav file if you like from http://www.soundsnap.com/sound_design_whoosh_swell_airy_to_slow_motion_long it's free membership and you can download 5 free sounds a month. I'd upload it myself, but that's strictly against the license agreement. You can also just play a preview if you don't want to sign up.

I've checked that the video sounds the same as the original wav on the following systems:

Dell 1520
Toshiba L300
Acer Gemstone Blue 8920G

So I'm confident you'll find any wabbling sounds are part of the audio design, rather than codec artifact.

I hope this clears up your misgivings.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 01:16 Edited at: 8th Oct 2009 01:19
Sweet! Ok, forgot to ask and probably being blind as a bat here, is Dark Video available for Dark GDK also? If not, is there any plans?

And thanks for that soundsnap link! I can never find sites like that ... even with google( well, I get frustrated with all those shareware software links that makes music/sounds that you can use royalty FREE with... so I quit looking).

Slocket
Years of Service
User Offline
Deep Cove Software:

I have downloaded the Dark Video trial. I say that 50 USD is dirt cheap for what it does for a commercial application that I wish to use it for.

But I have one problem with it if you can help me if I am doing something wrong. I wonder if I can use this as a technical help post here.

I encoded an uncompressed video avi. The visual video part looks great, but sadly the audio sounds a bit distorted and some small parts are missing. Not terribly so, but not acceptable. Can you tell me what I maybe doing wrong, or is this a known problem?

I really would like to see this to work, I plan on making a release of this remake in the next six months. Can you help me?

I can send you link to the video, because of copyright issues, I did not want to make it public.

Thanks for your help and time.
Slocket
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sweet! Ok, forgot to ask and probably being blind as a bat here, is Dark Video available for Dark GDK also? If not, is there any plans? "

I am using the current version of Dark Video for GDK as of October 7, 2009, though I am posting here in the DB Pro forum. So that is a yes, I guess.

I am just having some audio issue I hope to clear up.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 20:45 Edited at: 9th Oct 2009 21:09
@Todd Riggins - DarkVideo has supported DarkGDK since it was released (since DarkVideo was released that is ).

@Slocket - Sorry to hear you're having audio problems though I've got an idea what it may be. Something very simple to fix. If you don't mind sending the video that's causing you problems, you can send it to support@deepcovesoftware.com or just send a link to the movie (probably best as I think there's a 10mb limit on my email account) to the same address.

Edit: made email address a link.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 13:09 Edited at: 10th Oct 2009 13:10
@Slocket - Thanks for the link to the movie that's been giving you grief. What I initially thought may be the problem was pretty much what it was. There's two test sound outputs from the new encoder (WIP at the moment) that can be found at:

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo/sound_test.rar

Can you test those files (they're oggs, one recorded at lowest quality (the default setting) and one at highest) and see if they sound better that what you were hearing before. They sound pretty similar to me although my headphones aren't much good. I can't hear any scratchiness anymore and I can definitely hear what sounds like a hyper drive now.

As for the sound out of synch, it's something we'll attack as we're finalising DarkVideo 2.

p.s. You'll probably get a very comparable picture quality but better compression using the 'high' setting.

Edit: Forgot to make the link live.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 13:42
I am looking to purchase DarkVideo, does purchase of the current version entitle me to free upgrade to DarkVideo 2 when it is released?
Thanks.

Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 14:05
@Tone Dialer - Yeah, as mentioned above... DarkVideo 2 is a free upgrade for all owners of the current DarkVideo. When it's out that is, which should hopefully be about mid November.
Slocket
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes they sound just the original (which still is a bit work in progress [most likely shorten the ending of the cutscene, so I can add in more cutscenes in the game to sell as the gold edition plus superior AI that was lacking, and keep the size down. Using HIGH setting for video is good enough for this project to save space]).

Between low quality and high quality there is barely any difference using Blaze Media Pro to analyze the files.

You got the fix, on how to make this work for me. The audio sound is very exact to the original movie cuts. I only need to lower the music volume on my end and shorten the ending text scroll.

Now I just need to know what to do to make the sound that good in the complete movie clip. I still have about six months to finish this project.

They sound pretty much perfect to the original recordings.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 22:51
@Slocket - That's great that the sound clips seem to be correct now.

I'm unable to do a build at the current time though as the code for everything regarding DarkVideo is in flux at the moment. It's probably best if you continue using the current version for the time being and wait for the new version, out in mid November hopefully. Then it's just a simple process of encoding your movies with the new encoder. Talking of which, the new version encodes the test movie you sent a link for in less than 30 seconds, so it's vastly faster than the current version.
Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 23:34 Edited at: 1st Nov 2009 23:35
Just an question i have, how well does it play movie files while you load media into the game at same time ? WHen i do this using DBP´s built in movie commands the movie lag

What i want to do is to be able to play cutscenes while loading next part of the game. Hopefully this addon can help me with this

You never fail, only make mistakes.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 10:03
@Slooper - Dark Video decodes the movie directly into its associated texture on a different thread / core to that which DBP is running on. So I'd say that you shouldn't see much in the way of lag. It might be worth you giving the trial a try (http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/DarkVideo.zip) as the code required should be fairly similar to what you're using to play a movie using the built-in commands.
Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 21:29
Quote: "@Slooper - Dark Video decodes the movie directly into its associated texture on a different thread / core to that which DBP is running on. So I'd say that you shouldn't see much in the way of lag. It might be worth you giving the trial a try (http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/DarkVideo.zip) as the code required should be fairly similar to what you're using to play a movie using the built-in commands."

The example doesnt show what i wanted to know, what i want is to be able to load media into the project at the same time i play the movie sample without lag, i will use this in the loading sequences but with the dbp built in commands the movie lags

You never fail, only make mistakes.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 17:09
@Slooper - Dark Video runs on a different thread/core so it's definitely capable of decoding the movie in parallel to other stuff that's happening on the main DBP thread. I'm not familiar with the code you're using that's giving you choppy results with the built in DBP commands (I'd be able to help you better if you posted a short snippet), but I'd imagine it's the loading of media that giving you the impression that the video is choppy, as it's most likely all synchronous. This would mean the video is only getting a look-in every now and then. This is only a guess as I have no idea how DBP works internally.

To anyone who's interested in Dark Video 2, we're hoping to release it around about Friday 27th November 2009.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 23:34
Looking forward to it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 01:49:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 01:49:36