Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 16:45
1) We're happy to release a demo of what's effectively the near final of Dark Video Capture, although it needs a lot more testing on our side, especially on laptops with Intel graphics. See below if your interested in taking it for a test drive.

2) We've found some last minute problems with Dark Video regarding the seeking to a specific frame functionality and a few other minor issues. Unfortunately, this means Dark Video 2 is now delayed by up to 30 days. I don't want to release it with these problems, however minor. So, we decided to at least release something.

Dark Video Capture
Dark Video Capture is now in a separate dll from Dark Video. Because we do all kind of tricks to get at the internals of the generated exe, we don't really want this stuff shipping in the main Dark Video dll.

Dark Video Capture will currently only work on Vista or Windows 7 and this is because we've had to go down to near the kernel to capture the sound, using exactly the same method as FRAPS uses. We do have code to do this on XP but it's commented out at the moment. If there's a lot of people who still want to use the increasingly ancient XP, just let us know.

Dark Video Capture will try and use two cores for itself when encoding so it's best run on a quad core although it seems to run well on a dual core. It will run appallingly on a single core and this is not supported.

Video capture is a very processor intensive task so if you're going to test this on rubbish hardware, don't be suprised if you come across problems. I'd recommend a decent Core 2 Duo/Quad (although it seems to run fine on my wife's crappy Centrino Duo and Intel GMA 950 graphics based laptop) and a good mid range graphics card.

To see a capture just made on this machine at 1024x768, download: http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideocapture/capture_out.rar. You'll see it's very smooth. You'll need a MPEG4 decoder installed to view it.

Currently, Dark Video Capture will draw a green line every 8th line. In the final release, this will be replaced with a watermark that will be able to be removed by entering the first and last five digits of the serial number.

To get started

1) Make sure to download the latest CCCP codec pack so you can use a nice codec when compressing your avis. You can find it here: http://www.cccp-project.net/.

2) Download http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideocapture/DarkVideoCatpture.rar and unrar somewhere.

3) Copy "Compiler/plugins-user/DarkVideoCapture.dll" to "<DBP-directory>/plugins-user".

4) Copy "Editor/Keywords/DarkVideoCapture.ini" to "<DBO-directory>/Editor/Keywords".

The commands

There's only four commands:

DARKVIDEOCAPTURE OPEN
DARKVIDEOCAPTURE START
DARKVIDEOCAPTURE STOP
DARKVIDEOCAPTURE CLOSE

The first command takes four parameters:
<name of output movie - (*.avi)>
<width of output movie>
<height of output movie>
<frames per second of movie>

MAKE SURE THE OUTPUT DIMENSIONS ARE THE SAME AS YOUR SCREEN RESOLUTION. So if you set a mode of 1024x768, you need to pass 1024 and 768 to 'darkvideocapture open'. The reason is because we want to show the compression dialog before you switch mode. Don't switch mode and then call 'darkvideocapture open'. The frames per second parameter should be the same as your sync value. So, for 30 frames a second, set a sync value of 30 and pass 30 to 'darkvideocapture open'. DO NOT SET A SYNC VALUE OF 0. Also, you should set a display mode of 32-bit colour. 16-bit colour is not currently supported.

The other three take no parameters.

Adding DarkVideoCapture to your projects

Now, to use, you need to make sure you call 'darkvideocapture open' as the first command in your program, before you switch modes as it will show a dialog asking you for compression options, as seen here:

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideocapture/compression-options.png

We recommend you select "ffdshow Video Codec" as this will make a nice small avi for you. You'll probably need a lot of horse power to encode with this though. You can use uncompressed frames too for best quality but this will place a heavy strain on your processor and remember, there is a 2GB limit on the created avi. With full uncompressed frames at a high resolution, you'll reach that limit in no time.

Next, call 'darkvideocapture start' to start the capture going. You can either quit your Dark Basic program and the video will automatically be shut down or you can call 'darkvideocapture stop' and then 'darkvideocapture close'.

DarkVideoCapture is designed to be used in a session. It's not expected you'll want to create multiple movies in the same session. So, the logical expected flow is as follows:

We've noticed that in a real-world program (the RoadTerrain demo), the last two lines never seem to be called. This is another thing that has slowed us down. Dark Video Capture can realise when the app is shutting down but I'd rather DBP executed those two commands at the end. This kind of thing is out of our hands.

Anyway, let us know if you're having problems as this is your chance to help us make the capture rock solid.

Lastly, the capture is running flawlessly on our test hardware (which is admittedly very, very fast) but it should work ok on regular hardware too.

Also, we had problems trying to use DivX as a codec and this seems to be a big complaint on the internet that they broke something when it comes to using DivX as an encoder for an avi.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 12:30 Edited at: 29th Nov 2009 12:34
Hey great to see that you are stepping forward

Quote: "Dark Video Capture will currently only work on Vista or Windows 7"

Well, I understand, but that actually prevents me from doing any testings...

Quote: "3) Copy "Compiler/plugins-user/DarkVideoCapture.dll" to "<DBP-directory>/plugins-user"."

Does that means that the demo is for DBPro only? I would like to test it with DGDK... how do I get started?

Quote: "DarkVideoCapture is designed to be used in a session. It's not expected you'll want to create multiple movies in the same session."

Are you meaning that only 1 video can be recorded per execution? Well, I think that actually is a somewhat big limitation. It is useful for making video 'intros' for games, but what if the user wants to record videos as he/she plays? Take as an example case Microsoft FSX, that allows recording of user flights...
So, in that case, Dark Video Capture wouldn't be useful as to add that feature to a final program...

Everything else you state sounds rather reasonable, you are doing it well, keep on like that!

[Edit: Oh and the dialog looks great too. One suggestion for the future could be to add an extra parameter (true/false) to the 'DARKVIDEOCAPTURE OPEN' function. When true, it could pop up the regular windows dialog "open file", so the user can see the file system and choose name and place for the video file. ]
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 12:16 Edited at: 1st Dec 2009 12:20
Quote: "Well, I understand, but that actually prevents me from doing any testings... "

I'll see what I can do about getting the capture working on XP. I've got the sound capture code in there (DirectSoundCapture - that doesn't seem to work right on Windows 7 (probably because of the DRM stuff), not sure about Vista, hence the need to go lower on Vista and 7). It's just a pain to now have to detect the OS and create sound capture objects based on whether running on XP etc.

I don't know why people say Vista is rubbish. With SP1/SP2, running the x64 version, it was one of the best operating systems I've ever used and Windows 7 x64 is even better. The best thing is people who said Vista is rubbish are the same that say Windows 7 is awesome, even though it's effectively Vista SP2! Oh well.

Quote: "Does that means that the demo is for DBPro only? I would like to test it with DGDK... how do I get started?"

No, it works on DarkGDK too. We develop Dark Video using DarkGDK because we can use the Visual Studio debugger then. I don't know if it's my machine though but I'm unable to switch to a fullscreen mode with DarkGDK.

Quote: "Are you meaning that only 1 video can be recorded per execution?"

No, I'm saying only one movie can be made in a session. You can have multiple capture sessions (a session is created and destroyed using 'darkvideocapture open' and 'darkvideocapture close'). The thing is, I really don't like showing the dialog when the mode has changed. Unfortunately, showing the dialog is tied to opening the avi. I'll see what I can do about this.

I don't know when I can get the other version ready. I always have way too much to do. I've had Dragon Age Origins, a game I'm busting to play sitting here since it was released and I just haven't had time to even install it. It's the same trying to find time for Dark Video.

EDIT: I like your idea of showing a dialog to get the path of the avi instead of passing a path. I'll add that instead.
Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 23:30
Quote: "Quote: "Well, I understand, but that actually prevents me from doing any testings... "

I'll see what I can do about getting the capture working on XP. I've got the sound capture code in there (DirectSoundCapture - that doesn't seem to work right on Windows 7 (probably because of the DRM stuff), not sure about Vista, hence the need to go lower on Vista and 7). It's just a pain to now have to detect the OS and create sound capture objects based on whether running on XP etc. "

I'd like to test on XP as well, as my current project minimum specs is for XP.

Oh my gosh! He's wearing Full Metal Pyjamas!
--------------------------------------------
pgu
Years of Service
User Offline
i got a short question:

when using dark video to playback a video in dbpro, can i use the 2d drawing commands to draw ONTOP of it ?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 12:37
What basically happens is that DarkVideo images are treated as just that. Images, if you texture a 3d object, or paste the image to the screen. It's done in the normal DarkBASIC Professional way. As such it obeys the order of draw.
pgu
Years of Service
User Offline
i see

thanks.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 16:40
I downloaded and watched the video of "capture". Nice. Problem for me is I'm not expecting to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 anytime soon. XP may be "ancient" but it's still stable and will be supported by MS through 2014.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 15:42
@ F l a t l a n d e r - I'm surprised Microsoft are supporting XP until 2014. It's a good OS but for me personally, I just much prefer Windows 7 and Snow Leopard nowadays.

We've decided to release a release candidate of Dark Video 2. It's all effectively there. If you're interested in giving it a test run, you can find it at:

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo2rc1/setup.exe

NOTE: If it won't run on your system, be sure to install the Microsoft dynamic C and MFC runtime on your system. It's included as part of the installer. Likewise, if you have problems with movies not decoding correctly (via DirectShow codecs), be sure to install the excellent CCCP codec pack. It's also included as part of the installer. You're able to cancel installation of both of these components if you so desire.

What's missing from this release:

1) The ability to save the selected movies and folder in the Encoder. Nothing major but if you're wondering why the first three icons on the toolbar in the Encoder seem to do nothing, that's why.

2) Streaming movies. We just never were able to find the time to work on this and so this feature won't be in Dark Video 2, but maybe 2.1. No promises as it's hard for us to find time for this product.

3) The Encoder manual. It's nearly done but not quite there.

4) The capture stuff with XP sound capture code included. The current RC of that (Win Vista & 7 only) is available from a post above.

What changed from Dark Video 1 to 2:

1) Vastly improved Encoder. A very nice modern looking app but packing a whole lot more power than the original version. Various sound encoding bugs are fixed and you'll notice much, much faster encoding. We're still using DirectShow to decode the movies though so we recommend installing the codec pack which is now part of the installer. With bad codec packs you'll run into all kinds of encoding errors. 8-bit sound (found in Daniel TGC's test vids) is still not supported but now, if encountered, each sample is silently upgraded from an unsigned 8-bit value to a signed 16-bit value. We've also overhauled the interface so now, you just browse to a folder on the left and select which movies you'd like to batch convert from the pane at the bottom (which shows you info about each movie). The properties pane is on the left (one of the detachable tabs) and these are global, applying to all movies selected in the bottom pane. In the width and height columns of the movie list control (at the bottom), you might see some numbers have another number in brackets. The number in brackets is the size the Encoder will resize each frame's respective dimension to. This is because the width and height of the frame or movie have to be an exact multiple of 16. If this is the case, you're able to select a scale type in the properties. Although we recommend fast bilinear, there's all other kinds you may want to experiment with.

2) Better movie compression.

3) Faster decode speed.

4) Movie encryption (we need to test this more, hence this RC1 release).

5) Movie seeking (we need to test this more, hence this RC1 release).

6) Fixes to sound problems.

Just a reminder that is a release candidate so it's possible you might find problems. We're still double checking everything and we're still a tad suspicious about the seeking. If you think you've found a bug, we'd appreciate it if you let us know on this forum.

Thanks and enjoy...
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 11:17
Quote: "4) The capture stuff with XP sound capture code included."

So, can we give this a try with XP?
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 16:12 Edited at: 15th Jan 2010 16:16
@Morcilla - if you look at the last post again, it says 'What's missing from this release:' and then has '4) The capture stuff with XP sound capture code included. The current RC of that (Win Vista & 7 only) is available from a post above.' as one of the things missing .

To clear things up, here's RC2:

http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo2rc2/setup.exe

1) This still DOES NOT have capture with XP sound capture code included.
2) This fixes the About and Preferences dialogs being modeless as opposed to modal.
3) This fixes the issue whereby the movie that was encoded (the dvf) is locked and not closed by the Encoder.
4) The Encoder is now compiled against the static Microsoft C runtimes and so the msvc redist is no longer required.

DarkVIDEO RC2 (Encoder and DarkVideo.dll runtime) works on XP/Vista/7. This is the full demo version so anyone can give it a try. Although registered users can enter their key to remove the watermark from generated movies.

The capture RC (in a post above) is currently Vista/7 only.

RC3 will include the capture with XP support. I'd estimate this within the next six weeks as we're finding it hard to dedicate time to DarkVIDEO right now.

EDIT: made the link live.
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 11:35
Quote: "Lets say, 2 people make a different product that are both just as popular.

Person 1 puts the price up to £30 and sells 50

Person 2 puts the price up to £50 and sells 30

Who did better?
"
person 1 has done more net good for humanity, but of course they both recieved the same profit
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 12:32
@Deep Cove Software - Thanks, I'm afraid I read it too fast
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 15:33
The whole

30 at 50
50 at 30

Numbers game never ever boils down to that, in a perfect world it would. But it never ever does in real life. I've sold products on and off for the last 10 years. And it's never as simple as this, never ever.
Gouryella
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to use the the DVF codec the same way AVI and Mpeg
commands and controls are used in DBPro?
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2010 16:55
The best thing to do is download the demo and check out the documentation and samples. Basically, there's a set of simple commands for controlling the movie. All you have to do is associate an image with the movie and then you use the image like any other, using the movie commands to control the video. The DVF 'codec' is not something that's installed on the system like DirectShow codecs for example. It's all completely self-contained in the DarkVideo.dll.

The latest version is at:
http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/darkvideo2rc2/setup.exe
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 04:35 Edited at: 7th Mar 2010 14:31
Wow. I am stunned by people's responses here. I bought this in a heart beat.

I am a video professional (create and edit shows for broadcast) and my software/plugins cost in the hundreds and even thousands.

Here is a BINK-like solution (I am WELL familiar with BINK - I remember when it was called something else) for a fraction of the cost. BINK has been used in almost every game I can think of when it came to video sequences or cut screens that were NOT done with the game engine itself. However, playing video is both hard-drive unfriendly and cpu hungry, so BINK was created to solve that by using EXTREME compression and efficient playback of video and audio streams.

I do have a question. Being that we shoot in 1080i, can Dark Video encode HD source material or do we have to crop to 4:3? I'd rather not. What is the highest resolution that can be encoded/decoded.

I know I can crop 16:9 and have letterbox, but I would like to get as much quality as possible.

Thank you for creating this EXCITING product! I guarantee it will take my projects to a whole other level.

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
www.hardcoreharmonics.com
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2010 07:04
. . . On the other hand . . .

I have tried every way I can to encode an avi file and all I get is errors when attempting to load ANYTHING.

I have every codec you can imagine. I rendered straight from the project files in Sony Vegas Pro 8 using the uncompressed avi choice, since the instructions advise to use uncompressed audio and video.

Now, video is NEVER 512x512. The best I can do without messing with the video size is 720x480. If I crop square, then I will be cutting out a large portion of the video.

I don't mind the video being resized with a frame around it (like letterbox).

However, any of that is moot since I tried EVERYTHING I have in my arsenal and NONE of it would load. I just get errors.

Any advice?

Mike

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2010 14:56
OK, I solved it.

Dark Video encoder DOES NOT WORK in 64 bit. Everything I was doing, I was doing on a Vista 64 bit system.

On a Vista 32 bit system, all the same videos that would not open on the 64 bit system, opened and encoded fine on a 32 bit system.

Thank goodness I solved that. I really need a program like Dark Video, so all is now well.

Mike

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2010 16:50 Edited at: 19th Mar 2010 17:13
OK, not good at all.

I am attempting to encode videos we shot in 1080i, edited and then rendered down to 720p in quicktime format on our PC editing system.

I converted the videos from 720p to 640x480 using Pavtube converter. The 720p videos were rendered using Sony Vegas Pro 8 uncompressed.

In the Dark Video encoder, I tried every setting (Highest, High, Medium and Low)

I tried every audio possibility.

The results are choppy video and crackling audio.

I have a dual core PC with 2 GB ram.

The original 720p and 640x480 files play perfectly. They are in AVI format.

What can I do to solve this. I have high hopes for this format, but not if the video stutters even at the lowest video and audio quality - considering the 720p plays beautifully in any media player on the same computer system.

HELP!!!

Mike

Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2010 16:11 Edited at: 20th Mar 2010 16:14
Hello,

First off, Dark Video does work in 64-bit. I know this because it was developed on 64-bit Vista and now 64-bit Windows 7.

Are you using the version from this site? Version 1?

Can you try the following:

1) Install the codec pack from http://www.cccp-project.net/ (2009-09-09). Dark Video relies on a decent set of codecs. Community Codec Pack is one of the best.

2) Can you try the beta of version 2.0 at http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/setup.exe and let us know if you're still experiencing problems.

3) Is there any way you can send a link to one of the videos that's giving you problems?

If you're playing back 640x480 movies, a texture of dimensions 1024x512 will be most likely be created.

You can also email us at: support@deepcovesoftware.com for a faster response. We only check this forum periodically.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 00:41
Well, it does not seem to like my system - which is 64 bit Vista.

However, it does love my 32 bit Vista system.

I tried the newer version and, after realizing a dumb mistake on my part, it worked 100%

Thank you so much for your diligence in this. Now I can go ahead and create our products.

Thanks again for a superb product. Most people don't seem to realize how great it is!!! To be able to create custom video players with interactivity - and to do so easily thanks to the ease of the Dark Basic Pro language and the hard work of your product - which is something I won't have to figure out how to do (and I wouldn't be able to, I can tell you that with certainty).

Also, to be able to play videos in your games (think billboards with video or re-creating time square, etc) or fantastic cut scenes that are easily played before during and after levels - this product makes that a BREEZE!

I just would like to know if you can do a few things for future updates:

1) filtering - blur, sharpness, smoothing, tint, emboss, brightness, contrast, hue, etc - in realtime?

2) is there a way to know how long the video it is, where the playback head is and be able to influence that (so, say you want to start a video at various positions in the video and not just from the beginning - or - to know when a video is done playing so you can play the next one or go to the next level, something like that)?

3) normalize the audio so different video clips all play at the same volume?

4) realtime watermark for brand recognition?

5) more cool examples in db pro format?

6) realtime color grading (this one is my favorite) - the ability to color grade a video (sepia tone, cool, dark, artsy, moonlit, etc) - essentially applying a simple color or complex gradient to the video in realtime?

Mike

Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 10:41 Edited at: 21st Mar 2010 10:43
@World Class Multimedia - I'm glad it's working for you now. Dark Video 2 is much faster than version 1. Thanks for all the test videos you sent. They're a real help.

Just a note that the current release candidate (http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/setup.exe) does have a few bugs in the encoder that have since been fixed, such as when you select the scale, it actually changes the quality. This is all fixed in the latest version.

The reason why Dark Video 2 is late is because we've been porting the movie playback core and encoder core to the Mac and Linux. It's taken a lot longer than was expected. But it's there now and undergoing final testing. The current version is even faster and has even better compression.

Regarding your suggestions:

Quote: "1) filtering - blur, sharpness, smoothing, tint, emboss, brightness, contrast, hue, etc - in realtime?"

These are things we'd consider for the encoding stage but I'm not so sure about the actual playback. It's something to think about.

Quote: "2) is there a way to know how long the video it is, where the playback head is and be able to influence that (so, say you want to start a video at various positions in the video and not just from the beginning - or - to know when a video is done playing so you can play the next one or go to the next level, something like that)?"

Yeah, if you look through previous posts, there's a list of new commands that were added that enable you to do these kinds of things. I think the post was on page 1 or 3. Unfortunately, with the current release candidate, there's a known problem with the "get current frame" call.

Quote: "3) normalize the audio so different video clips all play at the same volume?"

Normalising the audio is a very good idea and something we'll most likely add to 2.1.

Quote: "4) realtime watermark for brand recognition?"

The watermark stuff is already in there but is only used by the encoder in trial mode. Exposing it to users for custom watermarks is another cool idea. We'll most likely add this to 2.1 too.

Quote: "5) more cool examples in db pro format?"

Yeah, I agree that more examples would be helpful.

Quote: "6) realtime color grading (this one is my favorite) - the ability to color grade a video (sepia tone, cool, dark, artsy, moonlit, etc) - essentially applying a simple color or complex gradient to the video in realtime?"

This is certainly possible but not planned at the current time. Again, it's something to think about.

Right now, our priority is to get DarkVIDEO 2 out, along with BlitzVIDEO and AuroraVIDEO Core (this is the product designed to be a Bink for indies using C++ on PC,Mac and Linux and what the other two products are spin offs of).
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 15:21
VERY COOL.

Thank you for answering my post. I am excited about the future of your product.

Since I also own BlitzMax and Blitz3D, will existing users of your Dark Video for DBPro be able to get a crossgrade discount to the other products?

Mike

Slocket
Years of Service
User Offline
I surely know this is a very low cost solution compared to Bink. I have been following this for the last year.

I can not even buy a beer and pizza for the price.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 16:58
@Mike - BlitzVIDEO is still in development and to tell the truth, right now, we don't know whether to make it a separate product or part of DarkVIDEO.

If it becomes a separate product, giving a discount to owners of DarkVIDEO sounds like a good idea. We'll probably ask TGC if they'd like to carry it (as some of their products target Blitz stuff too) alongside DarkVIDEO.

The C++ targetted AuroraVIDEO Core will only be available on our site and cost quite a bit more than either DarkVIDEO or BlitzVIDEO. DarkVIDEO will only ever be available for sale from TGC's site.

Hopefully, we can get DarkVIDEO 2 out very soon!
Soccerman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 01:08
Hi,

In my thread I get no answer, so I ask here.

Why does this code not work ?

Thanks for answering.
Deep Cove Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 18:43
DarkVideo 2 is now out at:
http://www.deepcovesoftware.com/dv2/setup.exe

As we don't check this forum much, it's best to email support@deepcovesoftware.com if you're not getting an answer on here.

@Soccerman: It's probably not appearing to work because you have a 'waitkey' there after the play. It's probably holding up the application but not the movie playback because it's on another thread. It's best to use the new version at the link above.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 13:20:26
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 13:20:26