Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@Vues3d on Kalimee:
I got the problem with the pixelized sky in DarkClouds too.
But I recognized that it only occurs in combination with sprites. When I show up a sprite on the 3D-Screen (for example to show an item's icon)the sky gets ugly. As soon as I hide or delete the sprites the sky looks almost perfectly.

Is it not possible to use sprites in combination with DarkClouds without graphic problems?

DarkClouds pimped up my game anyways.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 22:35 Edited at: 9th Nov 2009 04:39
I cannot seem to get dark clouds to work with any other camera except for the default camera 0. Should it work with other camera's?
EDIT: Sample code in case I am doing something wrong.

Terry

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 17:43
@ Roderick,

How goes it?

- Are you near to a new release of DarkCLOUDS? eta?
- Moon and Stars?
- Rain effect commands?
- Lightning effect commands?

Look forward to an update on above.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 18:20
Here's a little workaround Schwarz... Was planning on doing this anyway so that I can do more with it - added an offset plain instead of using the backdrop, that way it can be utilized as a standard object, alpha fading and ghosting etc - as well as being able to use a star sphere and fading the clouds out at night - this should allow much more control.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 00:12
VAN B thanks and I can see lots of uses for this. very cool. While running the code, I could not get my terrain to show up
(or should I say I could not force the plain to go behind other objects.) Doing a little searching I came across this thread.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149260&b=10

I'll do some more testing when I get time but, that seemed to be exactly what I saw happening with lock object on.

Thanks again.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 00:47
Ahh, never tested it with other objects. This one should fare better...

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 22:47
Thanks, that looks like it will work. I should have some time
later to play around with the new code. I really appreciate
your responses.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 11:22
@ Roderick,

Ping? Next version eta?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Jeff Y
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 19:45
DarkClouds looks awesome!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Jeff Y.
NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 19:53 Edited at: 9th Jan 2010 19:55
Do you think it would be possible to implement different type of clouds that the user can select to create? E.G. Stratus,Cirrus ect... examples here - Cloud Types

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 22:04
Question;

Is there any sort of collision system built in? I doubt there is but I only ask because what if, for example, one were to build a very high tower level that went right through the clouds. Id imagine the only way to stop these clouds from moving through the polygons of the tower would either be to implement a basic collision detection system or disable rendering the clouds when inside the tower (the second method still isnt that great as you could be up high and still see outside via a window or opening).

Or is there perhaps a zone system that allows you to spawn the clouds in certain areas around the tower?

I couldnt find any information about this.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 09:33
Ruccus, DarkClouds is a completely 2D plugin, the only exception is that it uses the camera location to decide what to render. It only renders to 2D images, usually just 1 image that is textured to the backdrop.

So DarkClouds are always behind everything else - if you were inside a tower, you'd only see the clouds from a window because they are not 3D objects or particles or anything. In fact, from a distance you wouldn't see any clouds in front of the tower, you'd have to probably fake that with particles for objects that are as tall as that - fake or don't bother I mean .

qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 10:33
could dark clouds do well with other planet climates? like green clouds, blue clouds, thick clouds, low clouds, high clouds, etc. and is the sun included, and if so is that adjustable as well? i assume you can't add a second sun (it'd be easy to do so with code, of course, but if there is an only-yellow sun that you can't change and you can't change much in the clouds, it won't be as much use to my game where you explore planets)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 10:54
The sun is actually pretty neat, it's not exactly a gorgeous object, just a white circle really - but it does go behind and shine through clouds. It's linked to light source 0 - so position light 0 around the planet depending on time of day, and it'll update the sun as well.

I plan to fade the clouds in and out to give night time skies - DC does do night time, but no stars or moon, I think it should look ok with fading though. If you did the same, the moon could be just a rotated plain and position that with light 1, so you have a sun and moon and quite a decent amount of control.

DC is quite an unusual one for me honestly, sometimes I look at it and think it looks daft, other times I look and it just looks awesome. If your prepared to experiment you can get some lovely clouds, there's no doubt about that. We do need more control over things, so hopefully we'll get more functions for DC in future.

Roderick_Simul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 19:09
Quote: "Duffer

@ Roderick,

How goes it?

- Are you near to a new release of DarkCLOUDS? eta?
- Moon and Stars?
- Rain effect commands?
- Lightning effect commands?

Look forward to an update on above."

Hey Duffer, I think we should have something for you in the next few weeks. Van's approach will work nicely I think for moon and stars, but I want to add these features to the main Simul Weather SDK, so DC will get them too. Lightning is on the list.

Quote: "NightX

Do you think it would be possible to implement different type of clouds that the user can select to create? E.G. Stratus,Cirrus ect... examples here - Cloud Types"

Yep, the next version will have some more advanced commands, I think presets are a good way to do it.

Quote: "Ruccus

Question;

Is there any sort of collision system built in? I doubt there is but I only ask because what if, for example, one were to build a very high tower level that went right through the clouds. Id imagine the only way to stop these clouds from moving through the polygons of the tower would either be to implement a basic collision detection system or disable rendering the clouds when inside the tower (the second method still isnt that great as you could be up high and still see outside via a window or opening).

Or is there perhaps a zone system that allows you to spawn the clouds in certain areas around the tower?

I couldnt find any information about this. "

The Weather SDK has cloud collision, so we can add this to DC quite easily. The problem is rendering clouds through the other stuff. Clouds you can fly through are easier - you can separate the clouds and sky into two buffers, and render the clouds either behind the landscape or over it, depending on your altitude. But having objects that go in between the clouds is a problem because DirectX 9 doesn't let us access the existing depth buffer when rendering to a different texture. There are some workarounds, but they are hardware-dependent. DX10 is much better for this, so it will be possible, but maybe not for the immediate next version.

Quote: "qwe

could dark clouds do well with other planet climates? like green clouds, blue clouds, thick clouds, low clouds, high clouds, etc. and is the sun included, and if so is that adjustable as well? i assume you can't add a second sun (it'd be easy to do so with code, of course, but if there is an only-yellow sun that you can't change and you can't change much in the clouds, it won't be as much use to my game where you explore planets)"

This is definitely something we want to add. The Earth's atmosphere is a specific mix of nitrogen, oxygen, ozone and haze, and others will be wildly different. I want to do this as soon as I have a spare minute, though it will take a bit of work to set up the interface. I'd say 1st half of this year.

Roderick Kennedy
Simul Software
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 19:39
@ Roderick,

Excellent - with the stars n moon this is a complete solution, with the lightning effects (on top of rain effects), this is a show-stopper....

Will watch this thread avidly now.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 19:58
Quote: "Will watch this thread avidly now."

Yep, so will I!

@ Roderick,

Are you also planning on making those stars flicker, or is'nt that possible to do? It would also be very nice to see some volumetric fog (like the clouds) in it, if that's possible?

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 22:10
Any chance of having DC available for the PureGDK? I've looked at trying to create the plugin for Purebasic using the PureGDK tools, but it doesn't look as cut-n-dry as the AdvancedTerrain example. I'm not sure I even want to attempt it.

Russell B. Davis/aerostudios
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2010 01:13
@ Roderick,

How goes it?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 14:07
ping

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 12:16
and a ping

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 11:12
kerching ping

NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 12:41
Quote: "Yep, the next version will have some more advanced commands, I think presets are a good way to do it."

Sweet

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 22:15
I just bought it, waiting for the download approval.

I can't wait for the updates.

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 01:31
Hmm... The rain doesn't appear. It's only appeared once, and it looked very bad so I tried changing the settings. It never appeared again.

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 20:15
I purchased Dark Clouds and upon installing it, Now Dark Basic Pro cannot compile and run anything.

I uninstalled everything I bought and installed one-by-one and found that Dark Clouds is the culprit. I tried re-installing the latest Dark Basic Pro update and that did not work.

Please help.

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
www.hardcoreharmonics.com
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 21:43
Not sure if my previous post was saved properly.

I purchased a BUNCH of dbpro add ons and noticed that I now cannot compile and run anything. I get the following error:

Cannot create file C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic Professional\Temp\_Temp.dbpro.

It happened specifically after installing Dark Clouds and I tried it on several of my computers to see if it was a fluke. In every case, same problem.

Any suggestions on how to correct/fix this?

Mike

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 21:51
OK, stupid fix.

I just noticed that there was no /Temp directory any longer, so either something deleted it or it's new.

Either way, I created a Temp directory and all is good.

Mike

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 15:02 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2010 15:15
I just purchased yesterday and downloaded today. Unfortunately the key I was sent doesn't work...

I'm waiting to hear back from TGC. Can't wait to use it...

Does anyone know if you can "get" the position of the sun in global coordinates (to add lense flare etc)? I don't see it in the documentation but I wondered if anyone had worked it out?

EDIT: nvm "The sun direction can be obtained from DarkCLOUDS using the DC GET LIGHT DIRECTION commands"

NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 15:31
@baxslash
I havnt got darkclouds but, if the sun went straight up, then down, in a line, you would only need the speed of the sun, or time from the horision at dawn and the time at dusk to check how long it takes to get from point a to b in seconds/minutes/hours, then get the angle/position of the sun from using some equasion invloving the time.(google would find something useful) then save that position.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 15:34
Quote: "if the sun went straight up, then down, in a line"

...well then it wouldn't be very realistic and I'd get my money back!

However I found the command:
DC GET LIGHT DIRECTION

...so it should be simple enough!

NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 15:36
Quote: "...well then it wouldn't be very realistic and I'd get my money back!"

lol the sun dosent start swerving and jumping around in the sky

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 15:44
Quote: "lol the sun dosent start swerving and jumping around in the sky"

No, sorry I maybe didn't explain myself! What I meant was it doesn't travel in a straight line its more like a parabolic curve or an arc.

NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 15:49 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2010 15:51
Oo. yes well, oops, well i meant up and down in a curve, but as it goes up and down straight, it dosent swerve or anything.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2010 16:33
Quote: "it dosent swerve or anything"

...well, weirdly in this code (a slight change to the basic demo minus pelican) it swerves quite a lot in a Mobius strip / figure 8 'loop':

strange eh!?

Richaldo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 02:13
Does DarkClouds work with Dark GDK?
If not, is this something that is planned for the future?
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to purchase DarkCLOUDS, but I am waiting for the update. There are things that were mentioned which would be implemented in the next update so I am waiting for that to come to full fruition.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 10:41
@ Roderick,

How goes it? How goes the update? Where are you with Moon n Stars? Thunder/Lightning?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 01:00
ping...... pong

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 06:04 Edited at: 12th May 2010 06:07
Quote: "Hey Duffer, I think we should have something for you in the next few weeks. Van's approach will work nicely I think for moon and stars, but I want to add these features to the main Simul Weather SDK, so DC will get them too. Lightning is on the list.
"

It's been 4 months since this was posted... any idea when it will be available?

Thanks.

Intel Core Duo2 E6850 3.0 GHz - 2x Geforce 8800 GTS SLI - 6GB RAM - Creative X-FI - Windows Vista Premium.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 22:35 Edited at: 16th May 2010 22:52
I have bobbed an email to Roderick with link to this thread requesting an update.

It's a shame - I'd be up for buying this if it had Moon/stars.

[edit] also, what would happen if I played image 1 (the DarkClouds texture) to a SkySphere object rather than the Backdrop or the fixed plain?

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 16th May 2010 22:59
why dont u combine extends?

CHECK OUT SOME MUSIC FROM MY NEW TECHNO CD! TECHNOKINESIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8KedfgVv0
ALSO, CHECK OUT MY NEW TECHNO CD! http://www.imageposeidon.com/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 00:26
Quote: " also, what would happen if I played image 1 (the DarkClouds texture) to a SkySphere object rather than the Backdrop or the fixed plain?"

I'll try it and let you know but my guess would be that you would get a 4:3'ish' image textured onto the sphere just like a photo of a sky (IE. it wouldn't work) but why would you want to anyway? The whole idea of a skybox/sphere is that you use it as a background which is what texturing the backdrop gives you anyway!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 09:59 Edited at: 20th May 2010 10:04
@ Roderick,

Ping - hope you're still working on the upgrade?

@ Mugen,

LOL already have Extends....

@ Baxslash,

Did you do the skysphere thing? Did it look rubbish/stretched?

Roderick_Simul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 18:08
Hi everyone!

The next version is finished and ready (we think) for release. I'll need to check up on the exact timescale, but here's a rough list of the new stuff:
* planets and sun images
* changing sun and sky colours for alien planets etc
* much sharper skies

Roderick Kennedy
Simul Software
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 18:13
Awesome! Can't wait to test it!

a.k.a WOLF!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 18:19
Wow, great!! Is this a 'free' update?

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 27th May 2010 18:31
amazing!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 18:59
@ Roderick,

Awesome - thanks for updating this and keeping us up to date.

Thanks for the email - understand the 'sprite' system adds some flexibility as well - so we could do stars, moons, planets... superb.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 27th May 2010 19:06
awesome!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 03:01:55
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 03:01:55