Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Pokemon Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 11:06 Edited at: 18th Aug 2009 11:07
Quote: "Nice model, the textures will need some adjustment though, mainly the leaves. That black line doesn't look good. Can you animate?"

Huh, you do realise that Pokemon is a cartoon, and judging by the actual image off of the show it is a black line. And yes I can animate.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 19:31
Quote: "and judging by the actual image off of the show it is a black line."

I just looked at the a few episodes again, and yes, it is a black line. But it is not that thick and fades a bit into the leaf. I don't mean to make you feel bad or anything, you did a great job on the model, better than I could. Just pointing out.

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 20:28
Quote: "Going to make a snow effect that can accumulate on to the floor and can stick on to npcs, the game player, and other objects. May be slow ,but you will be able to pick between the two."

Cool, but master , this seems like quite the HUGE project....

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 20:35
I'll try to make a model, but i pretty suck at it, so don't count on me. and for the cartoony thing, you might want to use a cartoon shader, that should make it look cartoony

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Cool, but master , this seems like quite the HUGE project...."
Ended up being way too slow, so that is not going to happen.

But I am working on the level editor.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Level Editor's GUI is going great, using BlueGUI for this one. But I am having a problem with saving data onto a file. When I use the command
or
after creating and loading the file then saving the file it shows in the location with no data on it?
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 13:40
Close the file.

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
I used the command but it still shows up like that.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 21:11
Try only writing a string. It could be your memblock is empty...

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 01:25 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 10:57
Still didn't work but I will upload the code later.

Edit- Okay, here is the code:
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 19:58 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 20:01
Quote: "
I don't see the problems you are having in GUI Studio. And if you want to use commands like color backdrop they have to be used after you load your GUI. Also my GUI doesn't use any button entities."

Possibly because you haven't tried my kana blast game. There's an image, not a backdrop behind it, and that image is loaded in GUI studio. You notice this immediately after switching between screens, if you have a program you should have noticed that...

Quote: "I guess I was a step ahead"

Nope, you're two steps behind. For one, I was referring to the battle engine. Two, you're making it really obvious you haven't even coded a main engine. Even if you did, you'd easily see that the bugs need much working-out and added features need to be modularly designed for this type of game.

In short, this project is NOT ready for WIP posting. My own SEUCK barely counts and its a full engine, just has one major bug and needs graphics and you can build a whole game from it, minus the menu.

On a friendlier note, I'm letting you know this stuff ahead of time so you don't get stuck like I did on that part of your project. I have many old incompleted projects due to not having them designed ahead of time. Also, the sooner you post code here, the sooner we can help you with it to keep your project going. I review source code when I'm here sometimes and most of us regulars do as well.

We're happy to help, but this project doesn't meet WIP standards. No code, no screenies (of your own engine, you have GUI studio screenshots though), nothing. I'm surprised it's still up

Signed
------
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In short, this project is NOT ready for WIP posting. My own SEUCK barely counts and its a full engine, just has one major bug and needs graphics and you can build a whole game from it, minus the menu.

On a friendlier note, I'm letting you know this stuff ahead of time so you don't get stuck like I did on that part of your project. I have many old incompleted projects due to not having them designed ahead of time. Also, the sooner you post code here, the sooner we can help you with it to keep your project going. I review source code when I'm here sometimes and most of us regulars do as well.

We're happy to help, but this project doesn't meet WIP standards. No code, no screenies (of your own engine, you have GUI studio screenshots though), nothing. I'm surprised it's still up"

Did you even read the posts up top, I can't upload code of the engine itself, I am waiting for the models so I could show screenshots of them in the engine. And if you want me to upload commands from the engine I can upload them.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 21:39 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 19:03
first try without the ifs:

Then try this other method:

If none of them work, does this work?

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
@feiting shadow
Quote: "My own SEUCK barely counts and its a full engine, just has one major bug and needs graphics and you can build a whole game from it, minus the menu."
You could use evolved's deferred renderer for graphics : http://evolveduk.googlepages.com/Shaders.html

@TheComet

The second method worked like a charm.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 19:04
You sure? It had a syntax error in it (corrected now). Glad to help though.

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You sure? It had a syntax error in it (corrected now). Glad to help though. "
It worked completely for me.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
I had to take out the sky system in the editor, because it was causing major problems.
Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 07:12
Okay, so I've read through this, and I think it sounds very good right now. Almost too good. I am, however, slightly confused about the battle system. It almost sounds like it's turning into a Pokèmon Stadium clone, with a few minor upgrades. I would be very excited to see a demo when you get to that stage, and being a major Pokèmon fan myself. I hope that this doesn't become one of the thousands of unfinished projects floating around here, because it has way to much potential.

Making my way through life one line of code at a time...
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I meant graphics as a noun, as in, images. The engine works, and is posted already in full code.

Why, per se, do you not have the ability to post a screenie without a model?

If you have any decent amount of code, it should be able to display those GUI's you made sans GUIStudio.

I am taking a guess that you either haven't used load object much yet, or you've somehow managed to write much the engine without testing one bit of it.

Really, instead of argue with me, I would sit down and write a document detailing exactly how the battle system is going to work.

Or, explain it here if you've done it. I will warn you, 3 sentences is about one twentieth of what it should take to get a functional battle system description... so???

Is this really ready for a WIP post, or shall I code the engine for you in a day, like I did for darkNoobs with the SEUCK? (if you view the actual post history of me and them initially, you'll see it only took me 3 hours to get the first version up). So is this truly ready for this board?

And yes I'm being hard on you now, 'cause at some point you'll have to be hard on yourself if you want to get your projects done. It's a favor, but doesn't appear that way.

Signed
------
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 15:07 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2009 18:08
Do you need the model to be lightmapped?

EDIT:

I just finished the head. Must have been the hardest part to do of the model:

I'm still not happy with the chin... What have I done wrong?

TheComet

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 21:44
Whats Wrong with the chin? looks fine to me.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 22:12
Really? I thought it was a bit to blocky and jagged... Anyway, anything I change to it just starts to ruin the model, so I think I'll leave it how it is. On to the wings!

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 01:17
Sorry for double post. But this is an update, so that is ok.

@Master13

Please state what is not to your likings about the model so far, or confirm it is correct. After this point I can not change it anymore.

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 01:17 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2009 01:18
Quote: "Why, per se, do you not have the ability to post a screenie without a model? "
I was going to make a level, but when I used the deferred engine, I kept getting a "Memblock already exists error." when the deferred engine never did that before.

Quote: "If you have any decent amount of code, it should be able to display those GUI's you made sans GUIStudio."
It does and I have the slides that stick out animated, but I have to edit some parts in the GUI because the some of the tabs slide out wrong. And have you ever had a problem with the healthbars in GUI Studio, because when I export my layout to DBPro the healthbars don't show up properly and none of the commands work?

Quote: "
I am taking a guess that you either haven't used load object much yet, or you've somehow managed to write much the engine without testing one bit of it."

I could record a video using fraps to show you how the leveling up works and evolving works changing the flat pokemon's image to the evolve form, wouldn't take long because I already have it coded.

Quote: "Really, instead of argue with me, I would sit down and write a document detailing exactly how the battle system is going to work."

I could tell you right now. When the player engages in a battle, it will position the player and the enemies a distance away from each other. But later I thought of this causing a problem where player's and pokemon may position inside buildings or other objects you wouldn't want them at, so I added "battle points" (Invisible Collision Boxes that you can place around and adjust the size) So if the player was in these battle points it will always position the battle in a predefined area.

Quote: "Is this really ready for a WIP post, or shall I code the engine for you in a day, like I did for darkNoobs with the SEUCK? (if you view the actual post history of me and them initially, you'll see it only took me 3 hours to get the first version up). So is this truly ready for this board?"

I don't need you to code a engine for me. I got it.

Quote: "shall I code the engine for you in a day, like I did for darkNoobs with the SEUCK? (if you view the actual post history of me and them initially, you'll see it only took me 3 hours to get the first version up)."
Wow

Quote: "And yes I'm being hard on you now, 'cause at some point you'll have to be hard on yourself if you want to get your projects done. It's a favor, but doesn't appear that way. "

I now your trying to help, it just didn't seem that way.

@TheComet

I think the chin looks great too.

Edit- As soon as I posted this I saw your update, looking good man.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a quick screenshot with the deferred engine on the skybox (Not the best screenshot.):

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 07:26 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 21:56
Okay for some reason, GUI Studio text commands are ridiculously slow
so I might have to cancel the level editor. But I finally got the deferred engine working with my pokemon engine. So here are some screenies (The level is using diffuse mapping, but next time I am going to use normal mapping to show the difference and decrease the ambient light some.):

(Pictures on first page)
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is another screenshot of the deferred engine on a skybox (This is one of the skyboxes that will come with the engine):

Attachments

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
amazing, I'm glad I was wrong. Good work! You really did have a strange-a** bug.

Signed
------
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 07:14 Edited at: 26th Aug 2009 02:16
Just added the battle point commands and commands to add pokemon to the database so when you use the engine you could add pokemon without going into the engine. And does anyone know where to get dbpro update 6.9 because I think there is a compatibility error with the new updates and GUI Studio's healthbars.

Edit- Will also make it easier to create your own pokemon creator for your games.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Still working on the level editor, just had to change my GUI System.
And I'm going to start working on the battle system.
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2009 00:35
Awesome man! Cannot wait for this to get finished. Please stick with it. I wish I could help but I don't know how much help I could offer... So, good luck.

"Lemonade: Is there something wrong with having a personal opinion?

Hobgoblin Lord: Only in a forum where people are gonna tear you apart for the fun of it."
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2009 07:03 Edited at: 25th Oct 2009 17:56
Command List on front page.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 04:50 Edited at: 31st Aug 2009 04:59
Had a go at modeling some pokemon myself. How do these look?:

Regice

Registeel

/// Had problems trying to get the feet right. They still don't look right to me. ///

I may need help with UV Mapping and Texturing them, because I don't have a good UV Mapper yet.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 11:14
No problem, AC3D does great UV mapping. Just give me the textures and model, and some info on where to map the textures and I'll do it.

I am currently looking for textures for charizard myself, does anyone have anything? Particularly the eyes.

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just give me the textures and model"

I can send the models, but I don't have any textures either.
I usually use a uv map and color them in an external program.
And which file format do you want me to send the models in because I could send them in AC3D's format?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 08:21
I must be honest, I have never seen those two pokémon before... I am a big fan of the "old" ones, back when there were only 101 cards (I have them all). So I'll do my best to colour them, but it would be much better if you could supply some textures.

AC3D can import:

*3D-studio 3DS
*Lightwave LWO
*Alias triangle
*DXF
*VRML1 and 2 and Inventor
*Povray
*Renderman RIB
*Triangles
*Milkshape
*Quake 3 bsp
*MD2
*Wavefront OBJ
*OFF
*stl (ascii)
*sof (airfoil)
*SMF
*T3D
*LDRAW .ldr (Lego)

TheComet

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 12:21
wtf is Regice... where are the times when there where 151 of them, sigh, I feel old all of a sudden
Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 16:14
There are currently 493 pokemon. All with unique textures, models, stats, and evolutions (with a few exceptions). I really like the idea of this but 493 x 4 = 1972 individual instances of programming or modelling. That seems like a LOT of work to me. Even 151 seems like quite a large number to me. Do you already have a way to work around this or are you truly planning to have that many models and such?

Making my way through life one line of code at a time...
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "wtf is Regice... where are the times when there where 151 of them, sigh, I feel old all of a sudden"

You never herd of the regies.
[href]http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Regice_(Pokémon)[/href]
[href]http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Regirock_(Pokémon)[/href]
[href]http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Registeel_(Pokémon)[/href]

Quote: "There are currently 493 pokemon. All with unique textures, models, stats, and evolutions (with a few exceptions). I really like the idea of this but 493 x 4 = 1972 individual instances of programming or modelling. That seems like a LOT of work to me. Even 151 seems like quite a large number to me. Do you already have a way to work around this or are you truly planning to have that many models and such? "
I was planning to get as many models and pokemon into the engine so you wouldn't have to run around looking for some pokemon models, but it may take awhile to get them in the engine. So I thought of a workaround, release the engine with a few pokemon and trainers, then put out updates where you can download a new pack of pokemon and trainers to the engine.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 19:24 Edited at: 1st Sep 2009 19:24
@TheComet

Here are the files.(Took out Registeel because I going to redo him)

Attachments

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 02:32 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2009 03:06
Got another 3D Modeler. Going to be making Infernape for me, so as soon as he finishes I'm going to post up screenshots.

Edit: Does any one know a good video capturing program, because I tried to make a video of the engine using Fraps, but it was way too slow?

Last Edit: Don't forget I'm constantly updating the commandlist upabove.

Also here is the list of the starter pokemon's stats using my level up and evolve system. Notice how the ratings are more stretched out so they the pokemon will play more to their strengths and weaknesses.

(Really wanted to get a video of the stats in the engine so it wouldn't look like I made these up.)
If you don't like it like this I can change it.

// Bulbasaur
Attack-104
Defense-121
Speed-72
Special Attack-97
Special Defense-64
Level-16
//-----------------
Attack-266
Defense-284
Speed-191
Special Attack-263
Special Defense-178
Level-36
//-----------------
Attack-487
Defense-520
Speed-380
Special Attack-484
Special Defense-366
Level-55

// Charmander
Attack-97
Defense-65
Speed-157
Special Attack-147
Special Defense-127
Level-16
//----------------=
Attack-265
Defense-187
Speed-325
Special Attack-334
Special Defense-329
Level-36
//----------------=
Attack-507
Defense-377
Speed-583
Special Attack-590
Special Defense-579
Level-55

// Squirtle
Attack-108
Defense-144
Speed-99
Special Attack-110
Special Defense-142
Level-16
//----------------=
Attack-270
Defense-327
Speed-262
Special Attack-281
Special Defense-353
Level-36
//----------------=
Attack-503
Defense-589
Speed-488
Special Attack-502
Special Defense-633
Level-55
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a pic of the Gui in game on the pokemon select screen:

And also why isn't anyone giving me feedback anymore?

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 11:48
Nice GUI! Is this a 2 player game? Does it support Netplay?

Quote: "And also why isn't anyone giving me feedback anymore? "

We are probably all very busy. You know, school, studying for tests, late hours at work... That is the exact reason why the model you sent me is going to take some time before completion. I would usually finish it in 1-2 days, but I think this is going to take far longer... But I will finish it, don't worry.

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nice GUI! Is this a 2 player game? Does it support Netplay?"

I don't know if two players on the same computer is possible with the deferred renderer, but I will get in NetPlay.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 01:46
Whoa, this is coming along great, took me long enough, but i'm here. yeah my comp's down, so i wont be of much help(waz i at all? LOL.) Aside form some psuodocode. I'll be watching from my PsP! Oh Master(), The commands look so simple and Cool! These will be the functions, right? Oh, er..........is this for Dbc? its ok if its not(i've got both DBC and DBpro), tho I just Hate pro for some reason.

-DD

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 02:21 Edited at: 6th Sep 2009 23:58
Quote: "Whoa, this is coming along great, took me long enough, but i'm here. yeah my comp's down, so i wont be of much help(waz i at all? LOL.) Aside form some psuodocode. I'll be watching from my PsP! Oh Master(), The commands look so simple and Cool! These will be the functions, right? Oh, er..........is this for Dbc? its ok if its not(i've got both DBC and DBpro), tho I just Hate pro for some reason. "

Yes these will be functions, and it will be for DBPro only.

Quote: "so i wont be of much help(waz i at all? LOL.)"

Feedback counts as helping too.
Knapperr
Years of Service
User Offline
I say, keep up the good work !!! This is coming along very very nicley ...

KnappAttackk
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 04:39 Edited at: 8th Sep 2009 04:40
In-Game Screenshot of the Depth Of Field Effect:

Attachments

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks a bit detailed for a pokemon game.

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 20:59 Edited at: 9th Sep 2009 22:08
Quote: "Looks a bit detailed for a pokemon game."

I know , I just made a quick level to work with.(Textures are from a model pack I brought for FPSCreator Textures sizes are 1024x1024) But when I get the chance I will drop in some pokemon style textures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:44:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:44:07