Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps this has been posted earlier, but my tired eyes didn't see anything about it. I am having a problem with the DFS IMPORT feature. I wrote a routine to go through my CSV file and it populates the DFS and KFS files just fine. However, I cannot get the DFS IMPORT feature to import the very same data. I used the EXPORT feature to give me a sense for what I thought it might want. I've made sure my CSV file our of Excel matches the one exported using DFS EXPORT and still no success. I'm sure it's something I'm doing or not doing, but I can't see where.

Please forgive if this has already been addressed.

- A man from nowhere, prophesized to fail, blazed beyond the brightest of them all.
Gasbag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 23:40
Hi all, newbie here. I took the code from the checkbook example and turned encryption on. The data in the .dat file is certainly encrypted. When the database prints off however, all of the data is still encrypted. How do you unencrypt?

Thanks

Join the Army See the Navy
sandwich board in Marx Bro.s Duck Soup, 1933
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 14:56 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 15:00
Hi all,

Gas Bag: Can you send me a snippet of the printing routine you are using?

Lightning Sky: Can you send me a snippet also of your export / import code? Maybe I can look at it and see what is going on.

Flatlander: Has it been a month since I posted? Wow. Time flies when one is unemployed and each day is a struggle for survival. You won't believe most of the stuff I'm doing just to make a few dollars here and there. You should have heard me beg yesterday at a guitar shop for work. LOL!!!

Thanks,

Steele

http://www.lanningsoftware.com
Your source for Games and Entertainment
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 23:43 Edited at: 9th Mar 2010 09:15
This looks like a really handy plugin for DBPro. When purchased, does it come with documentation on how to use it, etc?

EDIT: Oh dude, I just read the entire thread, so sorry to hear about your troubles recently! Documentation or not, I've purchased this addon out of sympathy! Fingers crossed I'll still be able to figure it out. Hopefully I'll love it!

But yes, if anyone can point me to a demo of Dark Data, or some documentation, that'd be super.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh dear... The link in your signature no longer works. It did work the other day...

ZOMG TRIPLE EDIT: So far so good, things seem to be working. Being an extreme n00b myself has lead me to using the help file documentation. I can't help but find the odd error, and in finding them, would you like me to read through the entire help documentation to assist in correcting it?
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 16:42
I apologize for being so long in responding. I didn't realize how much time has passed. I figured it was about ten days (which is more than I wanted) but fifteen is probably more like it.

I do appreciate it. There is documentation although you've probably already seen that.

My signature I'll need to change. I couldn't afford my website any longer so as of March 6th it went out of service.

As soon as I can get on my feet I'd love to get back to doing this with some consistency. It's just that I've hardly got any time to myself and I don't want to break something although I've got enhancements ready. I just need the time to support the latest version.

I went for a job interview last Friday but don't know the outcome. There are a lot of candidates and I had strengths in several areas and one weakness because my career hasn't needed it since 2004.

I'll be happy to help you in correcting it. It's been running smoothly since October and I've not updated anything on the forum yet.

I'm going to change my profile now and remove my signature.

Steele

http://www.lanningsoftware.com
Your source for Games and Entertainment
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 09:53
@ Steele,

Good to hear from you in the community and good luck with your job interview.

Looking forward to further developments with DarkData - as and when, as and when...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 18:14
Thanks Duffer,

I had the interview last week and now am waiting for something today to state whether my unemployment woes are about to come to an end.

DarkData is my child maturing. I have plans to help it grow. I need to get ahead where I can devote more time whereas right now it's a daily struggle to keep groceries on the table. Everyone is doing their part here to make it and eventually it will all get better and I'll be able to go back to my comfort zone, programming.

Steele

Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens. -- Homer Simpson
Neco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 00:37 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 22:29
I just picked up Dark Data today, along with Styx and Dark Code for good measure ($50 total). Hoping to put it to good use for my Text RPG Just waiting for the order to be processed.

Although the KFS/DFS will take a little getting used to on my part.

Hope there are many more revisions and useful features to come

Just so I don't shoot myself in the foot later.. Opening multiple database files shouldn't be a problem, right? Or is there a way to have multiple "tables" within one database?

i.e I don't want to keep Room data, plus player data, or other potential data, all in one file.. Unless there is a way to keep them "separate" like you can with SQL tables.. Otherwise the plan would be to just have different files for different scopes of data.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 21:29
@ Steele,

Hoping the jobhunt is / has come to a successful conclusion?

If you're still netting in the job, ignore for now. If the job's in the bag, any updates / enhancements for DarkDATA on the horizon?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 22:55
I just got a job about a month ago and have been back to work on DarkDATA. I've had to do some "clean up" here with evicting tenants and repairs and trying to balance the budget inside but I'm back at it.

Among other things are date fields. I was going to use dates but then date-time works better arithmetically for everyone because you can (or will soon) have the computer store in a record:

(Assuming "Now" is May 17, 2010)
Now = DFS DATE() `System Date
Due = DFS DATE(Now, "+30d")

DFS Put datafile, "Invoice Date", Now
DFS Put datafile, "Due Date", Due

DFS Save datafile, recnum

Later
------
DFS Load datafile, recnum
InvDate$ = DFS Get(datafile, "Invoice Date", "yyyy/mm/dd")
DueDate$ = DFS Get(datafile, "Due Date", "yyyy/mm/dd")

PRINT "Invoice Date: "; InvDate$ `Shows 2010/05/17
PRINT "Due Date: "; DueDate$ `Shows 2010/06/16

At least that's the plan.

Now I have to go grocery shopping but I'll be back.

Steele

Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 14:26
It's early morning and a holiday here in the U.S. I'm reading over the posts to see if there is anything that people requested or in general any concerns.

Neco, each table and index are separate files. I've toyed around with the idea of a huge SQL file full of tables but then it would be back to "overkill" that has been discussed in the past.

There are several reasons why I went this route. If I only want to examine inventory data then I only need to open the inventory table. If, during programming, I decide that I want to copy a table and associated indexes to some kind of a holding directory, maybe for debugging, I can do that and when I completely flub the whole thing, I can go and simply copy the originals.

As time goes on, and I tinker around with it, I'll be adding ways to tie indexes with a database (table is synonymous in this case) so that a simple change in the data itself will automatically update the keys. I've been playing with this aspect for a little while already.

I'm going to get a cup of coffee and continue working on the new date field system. That's first and foremost because I'm almost finished with it.

Steele

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 22:02 Edited at: 31st May 2010 22:02
Quote: "(Assuming "Now" is May 17, 2010)"

Well, you're assuming wrong. Right now it's May 31, 2010!

Hey, glad to see you have a job. Also, glad that you are now able to finish up what you want to do with Dark Data.

It seems you were working on something prior to when your life went crazy. Have you finished that? I can't remember what it was but I don't think it had to do with dates. However, by all means, finish up with what you are currently doing with the dates. I, too, hate to stop a project in mid-stream.

Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2010 19:59
I just got the date routines working finally. Now I'm working on a way to link index(s) to databases so that when someone makes a change, addition, or deletion to a DFS record, it will automatically update the indexes linked to it.

I remember stumbling down this path before and the issues were if someone didn't have an index linked or later created one, it would get out of sync. I may have a solution for that.

Steele

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 02:32
@ Steele,

Good to see you back on the forums (and with a job also) - looking forward to the next update.... any chance still (in a later release) of the simple entry application / gui that was mooted a few months back?

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 09:21
I'm starting to write some CSV files and have decided to pull them into my source via Dark Data. Can anyone provide any tips or techniques which could help with such a task?

Also, on the topic of CSV files, I notice that Excel outputs a different style of CSV file when compared with Google Docs spreadsheets. What's the go with different CSV standards?
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 15:40 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2010 22:01
How did I miss this? I guess I didn't look far enough down.

Duffer, well would you believe that I was in the hospital for a month? I had major surgery, the kind that the doctor looks at you and says, "We need to admit you now!" So once again, back at the computer programming.

The GUI application may be something I write in Dark Basic, I just haven't started on that. I was working on updating the DLL with date fields (done) and attempting to link with something called a metaschema (not done) when this happened.

Burning Feet: I'll take a look. It could be that I missed something as the files I created loaded into Excel. I remember that I did introduce a bug (accidentally) where I forgot about commas in numeric fields which would throw it off. It's on my list of things to do.

I'm trying to get a bug fix and the date fields out today for the community. I was introduced to another one in a private e-mail and wondered if anyone else had this issue: DFS Count(1) I was told was returning with "Could not determine parameter type for DFS Count(1)".

Bug fixes scheduled:
1) The CSV problem.
2) DFS Count() * Cannot find any problem

Additions:
1) Date fields
2) Indexing on dates
3) KFS First()
4) KFS Last()

I also had a request for a buffer but the more I think about it, the more I may have a better idea that uses less memory. So I'm holding off on that until I have had a chance.

It's early Sunday morning here in the state of Georgia, USA so I've got time to try to get these things done. I'll keep you informed.

Edit:
I'll need to work on the import / export as the database headers are not compatible with the old ones. This is important as current owners may need to export the data with the old system, update to the new system, and import. I'm not sure yet as I haven't played with that part of it.

Also I'm having a little trouble with the reindexing (KFS Reindex) at the moment. It's weird but it zeroes out the KFS Count part of the file header although it uses the same addition routines as KFS Add does.

Anyway, I have to get a lug nut for one of the cars and then get groceries so I may not get finished with this today like I hoped. But I'm making progress.

Steele

Gasbag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 18:15
Looking forward to the update Steele!

Join the Army See the Navy
sandwich board in Marx Bro.s Duck Soup, 1933
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2010 16:32 Edited at: 29th Aug 2010 01:46
I'm back at it. It's Saturday morning and during the week I came up with some new features that I think you'll find exciting.

Bug Fixes
DFS Count - May have been a problem but resolved now
DFS Import - Done (Loads a CSV)
DFS Export - Done (Saves a CSV)

Scheduled
KFS First - Done
KFS Last - Done
KFS Tie - Done
KFS Untie - Done
KFS Filter
KFS For Each ... Where .../ End Each

I'll explain later but right now, it's time to start work. I have coffee and I'm ready to go.

Update:
It's only been a couple of hours but I fixed the bugs I had introduced to myself last week as well as the CSV. It was something so stupid on my part but I can load the files into an Excel or Open Office spreadsheet now.

Now to try out the date routines and get to work on the other things and try to push this all out tomorrow for you.

I've updated the list. Today was quite successful. Two more items and then I'll release this.

Thanks for your patience, I'm long overdue.

Steele

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 19:57
@ Steele,

Sorry to hear about the protracted Hospital visit!

Hope all better now.

How is the update stuff coming?

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 04:58 Edited at: 13th Dec 2010 05:01
Hi Steele,

I've finally got some time to do some database tests with Dark Data. You can follow my progress here;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178859&b

Can I confirm that the latest download of Dark Data from The Game Creators account tools contains all of your latest bug fixes? Or should we be downloading the updated Dark Data from another website?

The reason I ask, is the below is an extract from my TGC products download page;

Quote: "Dark Data 6th Mar 2010 Download Sent (8th Mar 2010) Dark Data (File Updated: 19th Jan 2010)"

... which is almost a year out of date. The actual downloaded file is "Setup-v120.exe" modified on the 16th of September 2009.
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 16:15
Hi Burning Feet Man,

The latest is still on the site. I've not changed it in a year. It's slow going on this side. I've not had as much time as I'd like since I got the new job and taking care of home life. The upgrades I'm not ready to push yet as they are significant and if I send them out without a thorough test and set of instructions as everyone's database will need to be rebuilt to take advantage of the new structure. (Don't worry, I'm making a simple utility for this.)

I don't know why there is a file date of 19-Jan-2010 because that was the time I had the Michael Jackson Impersonator living with me and I was managing his career trying to bring in enough change to make the next mortgage payment or the electric bill payment. September to November sounds about right. But you can download again I think and see if it is newer.

Steele

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 18:38 Edited at: 19th Dec 2010 18:40
Quote: "I don't know why there is a file date of 19-Jan-2010 . . ."

FYI:

TGC, made some major changes to their web site, esp. having to do with the customer account (My Account) pages. The "Order History" and "My Products" were redone and therefore the download link for all orders were redone. The date 19-Jan-2010 was when this happened. Every single order reflected that change. For example here are some of my orders:

* DarkMATTER 1 (File Updated: 19th Jan 2010)
* Dark Physics - DarkBASIC Professional (File Updated: 19th Jan 2010)
* Dark Lights - DarkBASIC Professional (File Updated: 19th Jan 2010)
* Styx (File Updated: 19th Jan 2010)

and

* Dark Data (File Updated: 19th Jan 2010)

From that date forward, when the files are truly updated, the update will change to the appropriate date for the new update.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Add more adventure to your game -- use RPG Mod
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 01:02
Thanks for the info Flatlander & Steele. I was working through the Dark Data help file, but there were a few inconsistencies which made things difficult for a novice user such as myself.

Is it possible that for the next release, the help files are also reviewed and updated?

I also found a bunch of #CONSTANT entries in the examples that conflicted with Matrix1 Utilities too.

But I'm curious to your life outside of Dark Data too... Managing a Michael Jackson impersonator? Gotta be a couple of interesting stories in that. Do tell!
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 12:41
For people who have purchased this, what is the documentation like for this? I have an idea for a project and think that this would be incredibly useful for storing and retrieving data, but as even after all this time I'm still a complete noob when it comes to dbpro I worry that if the documentation isn't that great it will be like some of the other plugins I purchased which sit unused.

It was supposed to be a monkey / kangaroo fire-breathing hybrid. And it would be 70 km tall, and keep a giant laser in it's pouch.
Russian forehead
Years of Service
User Offline
how do you do I from Russia help me to find russian language to program fps creator x9 I nothing do not understand in english answer ask to write in russian so-as my program translator puts all word in nominitive case

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 09:01:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 09:01:22