Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Physics plug-in powered by PhysX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 00:29 Edited at: 24th Feb 2010 00:34
dont worry about that, just work on releasing that one lib version

EDIT: In the demo, you have to hit the spheres just right in order to make them move, example: nicking the sphere with the corner of your square does not move the sphere one bit, seems like you have to hit the stuff face on(doesnt seem like proper physics to me)

EDIT: EDIT: And I fixed the error on my own thx
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 00:44
Try it with less going on, get rid of some balls or blocks and see if it improves.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 01:02
Now i've got a new question, i create some spheres and add physics apply a little downward force and they fall, problem is they fall through my box that is used for a 'ground' no matter how i play with the settings...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 01:14
Strange, try making the box thicker, see if that helps. How many spheres are you using? How much force are you applying?

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 01:33 Edited at: 24th Feb 2010 04:49
err what is the correct method to create a solid ground with a box? if i make the box static the spheres fall through, if i make the box dynamic it just falls and falls and falls...

EDIT: I think the collision box is way way above my object, but i have no idea what function to use to fix that??

EDIT: EDIT: Solved it on my own again

EDIT: EDIT: EDIT: PhysXLoader.dll is throwing an exception every time i end my programs.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 10:23
Could you show me the exception? Does it come up when you press escape or the close icon in the top corner?

Use the visual debugger to get a better view of how your physics/collision is set up.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 18:28

I dont exactly know what information you wanted, It comes when i press the X in the corner of the screen and or if i press ESC on my keyboard.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 20:03
Sorry about this but does this happen in the demo or just in your own programs, if its your own then I might need to see your code, sorry.

Looks like an actor that does not exist is being released somehow.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 20:05 Edited at: 24th Feb 2010 20:17

EDIT: No need to be sorry, i think your physics are great! :

EDIT: EDIT: It is I that should be sorry with presenting you with these petty self induced errors
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 21:57
I have not tried the code but from looking at it could you try this:

Change:

To:

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 23:41 Edited at: 25th Feb 2010 01:07
I totally removed the loop to delete objects since if i remember correctly GDK cleans up automatically for the most part now, and the error is still apparent.

EDIT: Something i've done to my code fixed it

EDIT:EDIT: I think that bug appears if there are too many physics actors in motion and you try to exit the game
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 01:05
I was just looking at it, what did you do?
It was not throwing the exception for me.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 01:08

If you use that code there and exit the game it throws an exception, for me at least.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 01:27 Edited at: 25th Feb 2010 01:28
That works for me, but I'm running it on updated version.
Do you think you can live with it for now and see what happens in the next update? I have a feeling my memory management was not correct on the version you have, so it may affect some computers and not others.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 01:31 Edited at: 25th Feb 2010 05:49
Oh yes i can live with it haha, how far are you along on the next version?? im anxious to see what you've done

I was also wondering if you were going to incorperate some sort of raycasting? it would be nice
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 11:04
I'm not releasing anything until raycasting, groups and triggers are done, these are not hard to implement but I am having trouble retrieving dynamic actors euler orientations in any other form than a matrix or a quaternion which is not good for what is is essentially a basic language.

You would need these angles to get a camera to follow a dynamic object, so I may need to write my own camera class which may put back the next release.

You may notice that if you use dbObjectAngleX() etc.. on a dynamic actor it never changes as the physics is updating the object not GDK, this is my current problem but I will solve it, then the update will be near.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 18:55
Oh dear I did not notice that, good thing my application does not need your physics for actual physics but more for collision
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 19:39
Yeh, the idea is to have a complete collision solution with some cool physics. I am going to achieve this goal if it kills me, then I will evaluate whether I want to do a complete physics solution.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 20:26
Well, so far, it seems promising! I would wait a year or longer if I had too for you to complete this, amazing job so far!
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 13:11
@matty halewood

Check your email!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 17:15
Great news, I have overcome an issue that ws really slowing this project down. Its all thanks to Pauli, who is writing a physics plug-in with ODE:
Check it out!!!

I may have a couple of days off and then I will continue adding features for you guys.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 19:33
<3

Add me to your MSN!
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 21:02
Hey thanks for linking matty!

I think your doing great with your physics plug-in, too!
Keep up the good work!

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 23:57
@kklouzal - Put:

Just before you call:

You will not need to do this in the next release, let me know if it does not work for any reason.

@Pauli - No problem, its good that the community will have plenty of options for collision/physics now.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 00:24
I'm sure you will get this to the point where it can be sold, at that time i will cry and you will party!

Add me to your MSN!
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 00:51 Edited at: 4th Mar 2010 00:59
So I decided to start a new project, using your physics of course, and im getting an exception from physxcore.dll apon start of program...I have duplicated the previous projects settings switching multi threaded debug to just multi threaded, dragged the include files over and dll's in proper locations...help??

main.cpp

player.h

functions.h

error

grr...

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 01:01
I'll have a look for you tomorrow, its late here now.

Also, from your previous post, I may consider charging for a full version with all PhysX features but I have not decided, I will finish this version and it will be free, it should provide a full collision solution for any game genre with some physics also.

If I ever do charge for a full version then people who have helped me find bugs will get it for free anyway.

I probably wouldn't make any money anyway unless I ported it to dbPro, even then, they have other options.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 01:03
Alright I can wait.

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 15:34
It runs fine for me, these are the worst kind of issues, the ones I can't replicate.

What are your computer specs, mainly memory?
Also, if you have time, try commenting out various bits of code and see at what point it runs. Maybe start with the update command, if it runs without that then we have narrowed it down.

Quote: "an exception from physxcore.dll apon start of program"

Where does it say this?

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 19:42
ill be able to give you more specific detials when i get home to my real computer. i commented out code and nothing fixed already, it said the error in the bottom right corner of the screen with some gibberish, ill give you more specific detials when i get home,

I have 1gb ram, pentium 4 3.2ghz or something, nvidia 7600gs.

Add me to your MSN!
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 21:35
Quote: "I probably wouldn't make any money anyway unless I ported it to dbPro, even then, they have other options."

Porting from GDK to DBPro is very easy. you just have to remove the DarkGDK.h bit from the top, export your functions, make a string table and import the functions you need from the DBPro dlls. And thats it.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 21:52
Quote: "Porting from GDK to DBPro is very easy. you just have to remove the DarkGDK.h bit from the top, export your functions, make a string table and import the functions you need from the DBPro dlls. And thats it."

I have never done some of those things you mentioned but it does sound pretty straight forward, I will port it, I just need to buy dbPro lol.

I will add all the features needed for a complete collision solution, give it a good testing and then port it over.

Thanks kaedroho.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 00:41 Edited at: 5th Mar 2010 01:05
Exception Window:

Disassembly:

Well now it's pointing to nxcharacter.dll and I havent changed anything lol...I'm not quite sure what the deal is >.<
I attached a screenshot of after i pressed break and show disassembly. I'll .rar up the entire project folder if you'd think that will help.

EDIT: Thats windows xp.

EDIT: EDIT: Gah!! I feel like an idiot, having the .dll files in the project folder is not enough, they need to actually be inside your release folder....I did that and it fixed

Add me to your MSN!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 13:54
Cool, so it was just in release mode you were having trouble?

Update: I'm still plodding along, working on how you resize controllers, I have finished the capsule controller, this is alot better than the box controller, it walks up the stairs alot smoother.

I have also finished compound actors(multiple shapes), I made three box shapes to represent the tank you get free with DGDK and then had some fun throwing it around he he.

Can't really put a date on the next version but hopefully it will be this month.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 23:55
It was for the fact that I did not copy the 3 .dll files directly into the release folder, they were in the folder 1 level above which was not enough

Cant wait for this to be an actual library
amazing works.

Add me to your MSN!
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 22:07
WOAH! I was testing my app and this box popped up and freaked me out lol (screenshot)

Add me to your MSN!

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 22:19
That means your triangle mesh is not valid, what is the object you are making a triangle mesh from, and where did you get it?

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 22:33 Edited at: 7th Mar 2010 22:55
im only using myPhysics.makeBox and its with a 1x1x1 cube

I didnt take heed to your warning on: .releaseActor so i switched to:
and its all good other than when i remove the actor it still seems like its there...

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 00:04
So you are not getting the 'assert' error now?

What actor are you releasing and what is it that makes you think it is still there?
If you are deleting a static actor and it is the character controller thinking its still there then that is not a problem and I have an easy fix, if its something else, let me know?

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 03:29
No more errors, And the character controller was still thinking objects were still there that were not

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 10:26
If you delete a static actor, the controllers are not told lol, there is an update function for controllers which you dont have yet which you need if you change any static actors, it will be included in next release.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 20:19
Alright , are you getting close to releasing this next version?

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 21:02
I want to release a version which will handle everything needed for collision by the end of March, if I don't achieve that I will release an update anyway as there are a few new features which people may find useful.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 06:31
Could there be some way that the rotations that are made to the gdk objects via physics interactions do not update the internal gdk objectanglex etc? I am displaying those values on screen for an object and after physics rotates it the values are unchanged.

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 14:23
The physics actors are now updated differently from the version you have, thanks to Pauli, the values will change even when the physics updates them.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 15:23
Alright awesome!

Add me to your MSN!
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 17:14
Sorry to bother you again, im getting this wierd error.

Add me to your MSN!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 19:33
I have the following at the top of the physics header file:

Try changing the order in which you include your dependencies, also maybe try just putting the above line in your main.cpp at the top.

Its something I don't fully understand, I just know I needed to put that line in.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 00:25
Putting it at the very top of my main.cpp did the trick!

Add me to your MSN!
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 03:08 Edited at: 15th Mar 2010 03:09
People are complaining about the error box popping up I have attached to the post, it obviously has something to do with the physics but I dont know what it means nor does it come up for me when I run it!

Add me to your MSN!

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:38:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:38:45