Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A note about Piracy, and the VBOTB.

Author
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Keith sent you another email on this.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 05:45
Received and action taken.

-Keith
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 14:32
Quote: ""hey I just sppent $4000 on some software how do I use it?""

Bloody James did something like that, he said he bought Fragmotion but from what I know he hasn't used it once since he got it

Windows 7, Amd Athlon 7750 Black Editon (64 bit,3ghz + Dual Core), ATI Readon HD 4870 1gb Edition, 4gb Ram.
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I use it alot.....
really... a lot...still... its hard as i stated on 3d forum...i really want to use it.and my brother is teaching me also im taking private classes of modeling

"Feel free in a world of madness,be the bright spot"
-Bloody James
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
As far as know fragmotion is NOT $4000.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 22:58
Quote: "Bloody James did something like that, he said he bought Fragmotion but from what I know he hasn't used it once since he got it"

Yep; and some people like to rip media from Half-Life 2, stick it in FPSCreator, and post a YouTube video.

-Keith
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
and i have to say something in my defense..
Fragmotion was bough for my brother (he is in private classes too,way far from me (he made ahuman alien, even higher poly than Bond1 )) by my dad trough creditcard (paypal) i was so excited that i asked my brother if i could use it... he said dont screw it or youill pay it (pay the money)
so i say that is also mine.. but i dont know how to use it... i just play around

-Bloody James
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 23:13
Quote: "As far as know fragmotion is NOT $4000."

$50 to be exact, I don't know any software that is $4000

Quote: "Yep; and some people like to rip media from Half-Life 2, stick it in Fps Creator, and post a YouTube video."

Yeah but I used all the source SDK tools to extract it so it was allowd but I don't plan on actually using it , not even for private uses. I just had nothing to do at the time

Windows 7, Amd Athlon 7750 Black Editon (64 bit,3ghz + Dual Core), ATI Readon HD 4870 1gb Edition, 4gb Ram.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 23:42
Quote: "As far as know fragmotion is NOT $4000. "

If you read the quote above, you'd see I was talking about 3DS Max

Quote: "I don't know any software that is $4000"

3ds Max 2011 is currently selling for $3990...is that close enough?

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 23:47
Quote: "Yep; and some people like to rip media from Half-Life 2, stick it in FPSCreator, and post a YouTube video"

iv'e never heard of this, But Im shure it happens. Im not shure how people would do it unless the modles in that said game is in .x format or .obj. I thought most games like this had there own modle formats? Im asking becouse I never had seen it for my self.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to 600 x 120.
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 23:51
Quote: "iv'e never heard of this, But Im shure it happens. Im not shure how people would do it unless the modles in that said game is in .x format or .obj. I thought most games like this had there own modle formats?"

VALVE have their own model decoding program for users to use when they install Source SDK. They also had a .VMT (Valve Material TextFile or something like that) converter. Dunno why they made those 2 tools but they did, they seem very open source about all their games(Exept L4D & L4D2).

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:02
Quote: "even higher poly than Bond1"

You do know that the point is to have as much detail in as few polies as possible? So by being higher poly that is worse?

Just saying.

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:15
Quote: "You do know that the point is to have as much detail in as few polies as possible? So by being higher poly that is worse?"

lol what ? You got me confused in that

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:20
I'm talking to Bloody James... You can make a high poly model, but if it isn't detailed, you have wasted polies. You want to use few polygons while still maintaining detail. That is what Bond1 does. He makes low-poly models that still have lots of detail. He uses each poly wisely.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
ok..
Shadow...i want to show you a screenshot of a model rigged in Bond1's Zombie 2 animations.. get online Yahoo mesenger....he is a really good modeler..

-Bloody James
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:25
Quote: "3ds Max 2011 is currently selling for $3990...is that close enough?"

WHAT ! AutoDesk are rip off artists, I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Quote: "That is what Bond1 does. He makes low-poly models that still have lots of detail. He uses each poly wisely."

That is pretty wise to make a low poly but still make it detailed

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
$3990
Darn it...

*you can hear from the monitor, "Daddy?" ,"yes son","can i get $3990 for a modeling software?","keep dreaming,son"

yeah... totally fail
LOL

-Bloody James
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 09:24
Max is a Professional tool for Company's that have an actual budget. It wasn't created for the hobby modeler in mind. I used R3 when it first came out but when it came to the next upgrade I found TS to do the same thing I was doing in Max and it was less then 1/10th the price.

Honestly, if you a hobby modeler or game developer, Max is a waist. Max wasn't created to just build game media, it's a huge package with features to make much much more. That's why it's worth the 3990.

I'm actually considering buying 11 after it's out, it seems like a good investment on my part.

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 11:04
Quote: "3ds Max 2011 is currently selling for $3990...is that close enough?
"
i believed 3ds max 2011 are made for big companies so its very expensive i think they will not make any soft wares and sell it to companies for only $50.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Marc Steene
Quote: "If you read the quote above, you'd see I was talking about 3DS Max
"

I know that, my quote was referring to Bigsnake. Anyway, don't worry about it anymore.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 14:54
Quote: "Yep; and some people like to rip media from Half-Life 2, stick it in FPSCreator, and post a YouTube video. "

Oh come on now. It's not against the law to rip media from a game to see how it looks in another engine. It's only illegal if you try selling it or if you use it in a commercial game. I mean, several years ago Bond1 ripped the Half Life 2 zombie and rigged it up for FPSC and even released it on these forums for free and many people downloaded and used it. I don't recall Bond getting into any sort of trouble.

I do agree with what people are saying about 3DS Max not being worth it for just the hobby game developer. I'm studying Film at university and many of the computer labs have the full version (not student) of 3DS Max 2009 installed on the machines which any student is free to use. There are too many features, and I'd say most of the people on this forum would only use about 30% of the features for what they need to do. Thanks to my university, I don't have to buy 3DS Max because I can just go into uni and use it on their machines whenever I like. I suggest people do the same if they really want Max but can't afford it. If you're not old enough to go to University then just wait until you are because it's worth it.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 15:47
Quote: "Oh come on now. It's not against the law to rip media from a game to see how it looks in another engine."

I don't recall mentioning the legalities of doing that; I was merely commenting on BigSnake's YT video (which I also commented on there, and he replied appropriately). As far as whether it's legal to rip media from a game or not...I'll leave that up to the game company itself, as they have the final and only word on the matter.

About Max and it's cost....as it's been alluded to; it's not just for games, and it's definitely not made to be a hobbyist's tool...or something that a non-studio entity (ie. a single developer) is supposed to be able to afford. Throwing out erroneous, and highly opinionated comments about the cost not being "worth it", shows how ignorant said person is when it comes to the program in question. Sure; use it in your University setting...learn it, become accustomed to it. Then, when you graduate (or quit), and no longer have access to the University's copies; are you going to spend the thousands of dollars for your own copy, or will you try to make due with learning a newer (less expensive) application?

As far as the feature set goes; you are correct, and many learned Max users will tell you....you'll end up only using a small part of the tool-set, because it's a tool that covers such a broad spectrum of CG industries. The same could be said about Lightwave, Softimage, Houdini (way more pricey), Cinema 4D, and even Blender (which is starting to make the afore-mentioned program's companies a bit nervous).

I see the same comment following many of the game art threads here. Artist "A" presents his/her finished work; Artist "B" then asks "looks cool; what program did you use?". My response would be "why does it matter?". Almost all of the media created on these boards could be done in free or inexpensive programs.

I hear similar arguments about FPSC itself, when it comes to it's capabilities. It's often compared with other Engines (of which some have free versions, but those versions are also limited in many ways). Many of the "developers" (I use that term loosely) who bash FPSC, when comparing it to other engines; do so without really knowing what they're talking about. Most of these "developers" will either never make a game, or will screw around with it's tool-set...but never take the time to truly delve into it. Other engines do actually REQUIRE coding of some sort. FPSC does not; unless you want a more unique game, and even then...you can script it, rather than have to code it. FPSC is a $50 engine, that is made for first-person perspective games. The Torque 3D engine can do MUCH more than FPSC ever could, currently (IMO); but it also cost 20 times more than FPSC does.

I guess what I'm getting at with all this, is let's keep things in perspective. Set goals for yourself; don't try to start out with the "best" engine, using the "best" modeling and texturing software...that you "bought". Start out small. FPSC, if anything (and it's been said numerous times before); is a great tool to use to start learning the game-creation process...from start to finish. Can you make a commercially viable game with it? Yes you can. Anyone who says otherwise, is most likely one of the "developers" I spoke of above; they'll bounce around from engine to engine, and modeler to modeler...but in the end, they'll accomplish nothing.

Just like it not being about the modeler, but rather the artist; it's not about the engine...but rather the developer, and what they can accomplish with the tools given (or bought).

-Keith
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree and believe every FPSC user/member of these forums should read and understand what Keith means. We are hobbyists here. If you want to be hired by a A class game design company they would be more impressed (I think anyways) in someone who creates an amazing game from the simplest or easy to learn tools. 3ds Max wise, just think, do you really want to compare yourself to the industry pros? No, because remember you are a hobbyist. I make games in my spare time. If I had 3ds Max I'd still make games in my spare time. 3ds Max isn't going to make your games look better and the average 3ds Max model has way too many polygons for FPSC anyways. I use Milkshape. Anyone can model anything in Milkshape, you don't need 2.5gb or whatever else clogging up your hard drive.

If you trully feel like you NEED 3ds Max to develop games with FPSC, then you are most likely not cut out for modeling, maybe even game making because you are going to always try to try shortcuts to "success" and like Keith said, accomplish nothing.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 00:24
I know where you're coming from, Keith. You make great points all around and from your point of view, I can see how you came to the conclusion.

While it's not pertinent to use UDK for a hobby game, some people actually have the drive and resources and knowledge to get something done in UDK that just simply isn't possible (at this time) in FPSC. Not only would they be receiving benefits from a refined engine, but heck, they may have a good programmer on board who knows how to code well for the project.

FPSC isn't for everyone, and it certainly isn't for everyone who's into making games.

Take me for example. I find enjoyment in programming. I can only do that in FPSC through modding, and even then I feel clostrophobic (sp) in the source. I'm looking at someone else's code that I can both appreciate and (many times) curse. Having to rewrite someone's code to get something you want working isn't always a cakewalk, and it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Personally, I love making games, but I don't find the same enjoyment in making them through a dragNdrop editor that I do in making them from scratch.

@Urlforce:

Again, I can see where you're coming from, but I think you're looking at this from the wrong point of view.

If someone wants to obtain a job from a respectable game design company, you would stand a MUCH better chance by having experience in the tools that THEY use. That is, if you're a modeller you would want to have experience with the high-class modeling tools. This can easily be done without spending thousands of dollars on a single piece of software (and teaching yourself no less) by going to a good game design school, where they can supply you with student versions of these expensive softwares for you to get hands on experience. The same goes for sound artists, and music composers. They would want to have experience in the high class sound/music composing studios..... not experience in using Windows Sound Recorder.
For me, if I want a good job, I will want to have experience in MANY different languages used by these companies, and I will start off by saying that they are NOT impressed by experience in DBP. They want to see your experience with C++/C#/.NET/Java/VB the list goes on. I do not have a finished game, not even a finished application, but I have example tools that I've made in many different languages that I can show them the source to. That gets me the job. They can easily see that I know how to program in all of these different languages proficiently enough to create applications. I don't need to show them that I've FINISHED anything on my own, because in a company environment, you will never finish something on your own. It is a team environment and they would much rather see your ability to thrive IN that kind of environment.

Anyway.... uhmmm.... piracy! Right. Don't do it, guys. No one ever became a better person through piracy.

The one and only,

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 09:41
Quote: "Oh come on now. It's not against the law to rip media from a game to see how it looks in another engine. It's only illegal if you try selling it or if you use it in a commercial game. I mean, several years ago Bond1 ripped the Half Life 2 zombie and rigged it up for FPSC and even released it on these forums for free and many people downloaded and used it. I don't recall Bond getting into any sort of trouble."

Course it is... doesn't mean that Valve is going to come knocking on his door. It's in the EULA "Any material contained within is sole property of "blah blah blah"." Though you're actually talking about copyright infringment (I think... the law is messy).

Eitherway, unless Bond1 had completely remodeled the Zombie to "look" like the HL2 Zombie complete with his own textures, it would still be property of Valve and still be illegal to distribute, even if he makes no profit from said distribution. (Hmm, I think he did say that was remodeled... if I remember correctly)

It's currious to note how even you all, as developers, are rather apathetic about another member stealing other peoples work. Most intriguing...

Its not who you are or what you've done... its WHY you did it and how far you are willing to go.
If you fear speaking for yourself, make use the words of others while discovering your own voice.
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 14:01
Quote: "Eitherway, unless Bond1 had completely remodeled the Zombie to "look" like the HL2 Zombie complete with his own textures, it would still be property of Valve and still be illegal to distribute,"

Uh, no it wouldn't...

Quote: "Any material contained within is sole property of "blah blah blah"."

If it's not contained within, then it's okay...They did not copyright it's likeness, I don't think, and even if they did, he can make it look similar but not the same and still be okay.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Damm, Bond1 MODDELDED AND TEXTURED it fully , with the hl2 original zombie as refference, he didnt copuied nothing. And besides how long is iet ago???????????????????

Wow people can be annoying.

swccs
Years of Service
User Offline
irecently installed windows 7 home upgrade from windows xp now when i reinstalled my FPS creator it worked fine but after a few minutes when the game map game up it was not stable so i applied compatibility mode well now is stable but a new problem came up.
now the mouse icon moves faster than the placing of the squares on the screen does is like a delay.
can any one tell me how to get this copy to work fine please the entire software works great but it is some how a delay in placing floor tiles thank you

hey
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 21:59
Quote: "Uh, no it wouldn't...
"

Uhh, yes it would. You can't just rip stuff out of a game and distribute it, by that logic I could rip everything out of a game and then distribute it as full... which would obviously be illegal. Whether you make money or not makes no difference.

[center]You can get further with a smile and a gun than you can with just a smile.
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 22:23
Oh wait, I thought the "unless" was "even if." My bad for reading so fast.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 02:00
Quote: "It's currious to note how even you all, as developers, are rather apathetic about another member stealing other peoples work. Most intriguing..."

Haven't seen you around in awhile, Merranvo; still hanging around here?

-Keith
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 02:14
Quote: "It's currious to note how even you all, as developers, are rather apathetic about another member stealing other peoples work. Most intriguing..."

I speak for all moderators when I say we don't tolerate piracy.If you don't believe me ask around.We've busted a bunch of them.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 03:08
I do like the sounds of that FredP. I still recall how many threads were locked asking why FPSC was in german.

But yeah, I randomly remembered the "good olde days" from FPSC... and dug up my old passwords to the forums. But, hey... if I get too loud, just remind me. I can do that quite easily

Though, it is interesting to see how far FPSC has come. These mods look rather sweet for programmers like myself and also damned infurriating. Do you know how much time I spent trying to figure out how use the engine to do anything I wanted it to... and now "There's a Mod For That" XD.

@Shadowtroid: It's contained within the software "package". Removing it from the package does not mean that it was not once part of the package. Thats what the language means...

But you are right that the law protect you if you merely make something "in the likeness of". More than likely, unless you were to sell the game, Valve would just appreciate the free publicity. (Like "Black Mesa" as the HL1 remake)

@Red Eye: I remember talking to bond1 about the same thing, and I remember him saying it was completely remodeled and simply based off of the original. I did not intend to indicate that someone had broken the law, merely specify the conditions under which the law could be broken.

Piracy is a very hazy ground, as are acknowledgements. One of the things I recall was people selling "protection" programs to protect the content of their games... the reason being that many people, after spending hours doing their own scripting / modeling, would release a game... have the content ripped out... and then see it distributed on the forums.

I think, however, that it was actually the people selling model packs, that really disliked that.

With a more recent example, I'd say that a determined individual could extract the elements needed for these mods from a base game. But doing so, under any circumstance, is still piracy. Just like removing the models, the textures, music, sounds, scripts from a base game to use in your own is still piracy.

That was the point I was trying to bring across. You may own the game, but you do not own the game's componenets.

Its not who you are or what you've done... its WHY you did it and how far you are willing to go.
If you fear speaking for yourself, make use the words of others while discovering your own voice.
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 22:23
Just to add to this piracy thread :

My dad was reading this news story on piracy and it turns out 2 of Americas biggest companies are being taken down cause they pirated software but then the American president realised he would loose billions of dollars from it so he stated that maybe piracy isn't so bad after all. We just gotta see what happens now.....

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 22:39
Quote: "the American president realised he would loose billions of dollars from it..."

Yeah, I'm not sure how true this is...

I googled it, and all I got were stories on how Obama is considering increasing piracy regulation.

Overall, let's keep the government out of this unless we have a link or something. You never know what could spark.

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 22:53
Quote: "Overall, let's keep the government out of this unless we have a link or something."

Well I don't have a link cause my dad was telling me about him reading it.

Quote: " You never know what could spark."

A wire muhahahahha

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""the American president realised he would loose billions of dollars from it...""

I find this extremely unlikely...

That aside, I have been a victim of piracy and wanted to say how it affects the individual. I've been in the commercial programming world for over 25 years and have made money. However I have also found games that I have written that I have had very few sales for, on the internet available as free downloads, Including one which which was pirated so badly before release the company I was contracted to had no choice but to not release it... Earning me nothing for several months of work..

It seems to me that there are an awful lot of people out there (and some on these boards) who believe if it's available as a download then it's actually public domain... After all, it's not like stealing a car or something is it? And of course, downloading something is faceless, very little chance of being caught, so that's ok. I know it's been said earlier that piracy is a moral choice, but I think it's more likely that piracy is simply a crime that people imagine they can get away with..

In short, piracy has forced thousands of indie developer out of the market and anyone who claims to be an indie developer and still pirates should be ashamed of themselves.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 02:28
Quote: "After all, it's not like stealing a car or something is it?"

Of course not. Stealing a car or ANYTHING physically fiscal requires effort.

Most people don't see downloading as "stealing" anyway. When you imagine thievery, it usually pertains to an object or something physical. That's not the case, but that's how a lot of people see it.

Quote: "In short, piracy has forced thousands of indie developer out of the market and anyone who claims to be an indie developer and still pirates should be ashamed of themselves."

Kinda makes you hope that someone pirates their software in return, huh? Would be karma at its finest!

The one and only,

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 02:49
Yeah...I think most people think it's okay because it doesn't require effort...It's so easy, how could it be illegal...That mindset is so annoying.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 00:32
Quote: "Kinda makes you hope that someone pirates their software in return, huh? Would be karma at its finest!"

Indeed.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 17:43 Edited at: 18th Apr 2010 17:45
NVM

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "don't try to start out with the "best" engine, using the "best" modeling and texturing software...that you "bought""

Actually I learned Max many years ago and not just some small part of its features, as has been stated its not simply a modeling tool and is so much more. I picked up on FPSC because I know nothing of coding and its a buzz to get my media into any game engine, so I came from another angle, its a little different being able to move around an environment you have created rather than doing a camera fly thru', the whole design aspect is different when you have to allow a user 'free' access to roam within limitations of course.

Quote: "3ds Max isn't going to make your games look better and the average 3ds Max model has way too many polygons for FPSC anyways"

In fact if you know what your doing with 3ds your games will look a lot better thats why its an industry standard for game media creation, I do know however that you are talking about modeling in general URL, all the same, models made in Max dont need to be high poly any more than they do in any modeling program (except maybe zbrush, mudbox which are about high poly), in fact even the highest end productions in movies use a lot of pre-rendered backdrops (think of basic skyboxes) and pre-baked textures,even as in games using low poly versions of models etc, to cut down on render times.

On the subject of piracy for those wondering why Autodesk dont pursue those who pirate 3DSMax its simply not worth their while chasing after kids who download the software from the internet and whom they know will NEVER be able to use it properly anyway, its companies who make money off the product they want to stop and who they can strip of all assets if caught, though they do still try to stop the scource of piracy where they can by ending the torrents they find, I have seen many copies for sale on e-bay for instance which are promptly removed so dont think they arent watching and are aware, some day they will find a way to get around to catching even individuals who do pirate the program.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "3ds Max model has way too many polygons for FPSC anyways\""

OMFG, who just crossed a bullterrier and a shi*zu.

cyberken69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 12:21
As someone who has had his own work pirated, I know the tough decision you had to take, and it can't have been an easy one with it being a high ranked member.
In the same respect, piracy on any level is a crime, and although it's pretty impossible to stamp it out completely, you have to do what you can to protect your assets.
I don't know the ins and outs of this but I'm very sure that it wasn't a simple case of "oh he has copied it, let's ban him" - I'm sure it was a drawn out process getting to the bottom of exactly what and how it happened.

I think you took the right decision, bring stripped of his title will send shockwaves through the community and may make others think twice about doing it. FPSC, the model packs and any modifications are not expensive, so there is really no excuse for it.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 16:20 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 16:24
Quote: "I thought mods were surpposed help out members not abuse their power as some do"

Most of the mods are great, but fredP seems to have a different idea than everyone else, he's like Dirty Harry.

Quote: "FredP: you are informed you were banned and why."

Hey, remember the time you banned me and the message i saw when i tried to log in was along the line of "Stop being an idiot" I was an idiot because i asked why you banned me for doing the same stuff other people were doing while you did nothing.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 03:54
Quote: "fredP seems to have a different idea than everyone else, he's like Dirty Harry."

Perhaps, but what would we have done without Dirty Harry? People love Dirty Harry!

... punk.

The one and only,

SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2010 17:42 Edited at: 2nd May 2010 15:42
EDIT

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2010 18:08
Quote: "Piracy = downloading or uploading things that aren't bought"

That is absolutely incorrect. Every program, game, or media pack that has been pirated; had to have been purchased at least once. Otherwise, how would it end up on these torrent sites? So yes, it IS the same as stealing. There is no logical rationalization; unless you are a thief by nature.

-Keith
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "On the subject of piracy for those wondering why Autodesk dont pursue those who pirate 3DSMax its simply not worth their while chasing after kids who download the software from the internet and whom they know will NEVER be able to use it properly anyway"

There's a general consensus I hear on other 3D forums - that Autodesk knows full well kids pirate their programs. And they realize some of these same kids will get hooked on the software, and pursue a career in game development. And when they DO get a job, that's another seat of 3ds Max sold to the company they work for. Kind of a win-win situation for Autodesk, even though they'd never publicly condone it.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2010 23:52
So if your friend steals a game from your house, he's pirating it? Or stealing it? He doesn't pawn the game off to make money.... but he stole it.

In what kind of logic does stealing not equate to pirating? In what sense does pirating not equate to stealing? In both cases, you took something that you did not have the right to take. It's wrong, plain and simple. Why even try to argue such a point if not to make yourself feel slightly better about your own deeds?

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 11:06:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 11:06:57