Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A note about Piracy, and the VBOTB.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2010 00:36 Edited at: 2nd May 2010 00:45
SekoIdiootti???? What??? Sooo does that mean that it's not stealing when someone takes a candy bar and eats it? Your logic seems broken.
Stealing/Piracy/Theft it's all the same thing. It's just that Piracy is relevant to software theft now-a-days. (or those guys that are hijacking Cruse Ships can still call it Piracy.)
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2010 01:30 Edited at: 2nd May 2010 01:31
Quote: "v. stole (stl), sto·len (stln), steal·ing, steals
v.tr.
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission."

[Source: www.thefreedictionary.com]

I'm pretty sure Autodesk or TGC do not grant the rights or permission for their products to be uploaded by several John Smiths over the internet, and redistributed to others without receiving payment.

If I were to 'take' a single CD hardcopy of Microsoft Windows from the local electronics store without paying, by definition, it accounts as stealing. If I were to 'take' that same copy of Windows from the internet without paying (piracy), by definition, it would account as...not stealing?

Quote: "illegally taking something off others to gain profit of it."

Quote: "it might not be any profit to the one who's pirating it."

Profit is not just a term that refers to dollar bills and paychecks. Can you use the software that you steal/pirate to get something done? i.e., make 3D models, or, if it's a game software; play the game to entertain yourself? Because if you can, and if you did, you've just profited from it.

Kravenwolf

SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2010 15:41
OK OK SORRY ABOUT WHAT I SAID!!! ...argh...

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2010 23:43 Edited at: 2nd May 2010 23:47
Quote: "There's a general consensus I hear on other 3D forums - that Autodesk knows full well kids pirate their programs. And they realize some of these same kids will get hooked on the software, and pursue a career in game development. And when they DO get a job, that's another seat of 3ds Max sold to the company they work for. Kind of a win-win situation for Autodesk, even though they'd never publicly condone it."

Yeah I have come across that myself and unless autodesk come out and say, it is speculation about their opinions on this, thing is how many of those kids are actually going to get further than creating and rendering a primitive, I have come across college lecturers who were in awe of the particle effect firework they created in Max, nobody in the design department had a clue how to use it even though they had it installed, they couldnt get their head around the myriad features that Max actually has and probaly expected some poor devil to take it on and teach it to students (in much the same way that kids think it will do all the work for you), said it before say it again its not simply a modeling package,my point is that without proper training/tutoring it is going to take many many years to get your head around it on your own, heck with so many plug ins and upgrades over the years I can hardly keep up with it all myself.
Even with proper tutoring many professional users of Max in industry tend to conentrate on one discipline but have at least a basic understanding of all the other features, Maxscript is a field in itself too and makes the possibilities of its use practically infinite limited only by knowledge and imagination.
If someone thinks its ok to download and install pirated software, a word of caution, one day you will be caught.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So if your friend steals a game from your house, he's pirating it? Or stealing it? He doesn't pawn the game off to make money.... but he stole it."

If he copies a game at my house, and i still have my copy of it, is he stealing the game from me?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 17:45
He has an illegal copy; plain and simple. He didn't purchase it through the proper outlets.

-Keith
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If he copies a game at my house, and i still have my copy of it, is he stealing the game from me?"

If you didnt know he copied it then he stole it, if you copied it and gave it to him then you both pirated it, why are folks nit picking at this its all very simple and I see no reason to try and justify these things.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 00:04
Quote: "why are folks nit picking at this its all very simple and I see no reason to try and justify these things."

I don't understand it either. But the fact that no-one loses anything physical means that many don't believe they're doing anything wrong as nobody loses out... apart from the people who made the software/film etc. and are not getting remunerated for their time and effort.

Your signature has been [mod edited] :-p
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 07:31 Edited at: 6th May 2010 07:34
Quote: "I don't understand it either. But the fact that no-one loses anything physical means that many don't believe they're doing anything wrong as nobody loses out... apart from the people who made the software/film etc. and are not getting remunerated for their time and effort."

I agree Thraxas.
Fact is we all lose out, problem here is the belief that 'I am just one person how could the loss of my sale affect this company in any way?' The thing is your only one of the many thousands who think the same way and it all adds up, in the same way that shoplifting adds to the cost of what honest people have to pay, I hear a lot of folks saying its bad to rip off the small indie developer because his sales are not on a par with larger companies', but lets be clear the bigger companies employ a lot of people and invest a lot into their product, these guys earn an honest living just like everyone else. Some folks here who think its ok need to quit the whining about it all, these guys are not the banks or even huge corporate businesses out to screw you, get over yourselves and start being honest citizens (not asking you to assimilate) simply be honest.
The funniest line is 'why should I pay for something I wouldnt have bought in the first place'...well now if ya wouldnt have bought it....then ya sure dont need it......so why the heck do you have it. Magpie syndrome at its worst.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 19:30:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 19:30:38