Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] NaGaCreMo '11

Author
User Banned
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 00:00
Nope, just the regular WIP board.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 01:22
I don't see why there should be any rules on anything including content or team sizes, etc., since this is not a competition. It's merely a way to get motivated to finish something, right?

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 01:52
Yeah, basically it's NaNoWriMo...but games. NaNoWriMo has no rules, it just has a goal. NaNoWriMo's is to have a 50,000+ word novel finished (I think any smaller and it's not classed as a novel, but a novella, iirc) and NaGaCreMo is to have a playable demo finished, at least.

But obviously, the forums have rules for content in terms of warnings and content you show in your WIP posts, so obviously, there's those rules to stick to, but that doesn't dictate what you do with your game: go for drugged up cussing naked woman bloody violence if you desire...just censor screenshots and offer warnings so those who are likely to be offended won't be offended.

Alternatively, if you want to see CoffeeCoder go mad with power, then let him set the rules and enforce them, you watch, it'll be a spectacle.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 02:01
Quote: "Alternatively, if you want to see CoffeeCoder go mad with power, then let him set the rules and enforce them, you watch, it'll be a spectacle."

This made me lolz.

Jeku's right, and Sepp is right with this...
Quote: "the forums have rules for content in terms of warnings and content you show in your WIP posts, so obviously, there's those rules to stick to, but that doesn't dictate what you do with your game: go for drugged up cussing naked woman bloody violence if you desire...just censor screenshots and offer warnings so those who are likely to be offended won't be offended."

I just want to make sure that nobody gets in trouble for submitting/finishing a project and posting it, only to be scolded/obtain worse punishment due to content, whether it be sexual, drug-related, blah blah blah. I really have no say over it though. Mostly because I'm not even the one who started NaGaCreMo, although I've posted the thread for it the last two years (originally, it started here by zenassem).

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 22:19
My updates dont warrant a WIP thread because Im not using a TGC product : (

but!
dynamics physics is almost set to go. Once collision response is good, then its time to move onto figuring out how to make joints/pivot points between objects, and then then a quick trip through gravity. Then the physics engine should be pretty much set.

after THAT, comes the fun part of level experimenting.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
If you make the engine a library for DGDK or wrap it for DBPro, then you can post it in the PA.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 22:58 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 03:59
nah, I just want to make my wonderful physics puzzle/action game. I just actually got dynamics to work. I think Ill continue my thread in Geek Culture about the physics engine. And when it splits off into a game, Ill post anohter thread in GC about that too.

But now after a stress test, I realize that my collision detection code is SLOOOW.

Here is a quick video on the dynamics.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 08:26
@flashing snall

Very nice!

I think you have a small error with the mass of objects though. Whenever a big circle hits a small circle, I would imagine the small circle bouncing off the big one at the speed the big one hit it, and the big circle just slowing down a little. But your example has the big circle bounce off the small one as if it were a wall, and the small circle only moves back a tiny bit.

TheComet

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 09:31
I, BearCDP, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general
project before January 31st, 2011

BUT

If anybody'd like some original music for their game, I'd love to make some tracks you. I can also do sound design, I'm just a little less experienced with it. Just send me an email (should be in my sig or the email button, I'll see after I post). My site (also should be in the sig or button), has a Music & Sounds page if you'd like to hear samples of my work.

Time to get crackin!

[/Annual return to TGC]

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 12:29
TheComet, that is because, I foolishly made the mass of the small circle 5 times the mass of the medium sized circles. The mass and size of different objects are totally separate of one another.

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
i noobnerd pledge to (if i it is allowed to participate with a project ive been working on since october (gives me a fair newcomers headstart )) will make a working game before january 31.2011

It will be a 2d shooter, my goal is to have a whole solarsystem with explorable solars asteroid fields, random encounters etc.
The current version can be found in the program anouncements under the thread "2D space shooter-finnished"(although its very much work in progress)
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question, where would I post my WIP if I'm no longer using Dark GDK, DBPro or DBC, but I am using DarkNet for multiplayer?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 23:17
@Serial Velocity:

As long as it's any TGC product you can post a WIP thread in the WIP boards.

@noobnerd:

You can work on any project you want, no matter how old it is or how long you've been working on it. The whole point of NaGaCreMo is to motivate programmers to finish a program, or at least a working chunk of it (such as a game demo) within the given time. There's no limitations to when you can start a project.

Sorry for not keeping up lately guys, I've been sick all week. It's just a cold, but it will not go away! As a result I haven't felt like being on the computer.

I'm thinking I'm going to do something for NaGaCreMo, but it's on Ubuntu in C++...I don't know what it's going to be yet because I barley know C++, but I want to use this time as motivation for learning it.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 23:32
Quote: "I'm thinking I'm going to do something for NaGaCreMo, but it's on Ubuntu in C++...I don't know what it's going to be yet because I barley know C++, but I want to use this time as motivation for learning it. "

Out of curiosity, what frameworks/libraries are you going to use? I'm working on a project using SFML right now, so that's the only C++ game/graphics framework I have experience with (not counting DarkGDK).

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
nice then ill just keep working january31st is still far away so no problm
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 12:48 Edited at: 13th Dec 2010 12:49
Quote: "I'm thinking I'm going to do something for NaGaCreMo, but it's on Ubuntu in C++...I don't know what it's going to be yet because I barley know C++, but I want to use this time as motivation for learning it. "

I'm in the same boat as you, I've just started learning C++ and I'm going to try and make a text-based game for NaGaCreMo I'm also on Linux

I'm just learning about vectors and data-structures so it wont be nything advanced.

Snobbery is a privilege of the ignorant.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 18:56 Edited at: 13th Dec 2010 18:59
I, Zeus, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general project before January 31st, 2011.

It will for sure be the demo of American Warfare, not the project.

[edit]
Sig test..

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 20:26
Quote: "Out of curiosity, what frameworks/libraries are you going to use? I'm working on a project using SFML right now, so that's the only C++ game/graphics framework I have experience with (not counting DarkGDK)."

Excellent question! I have no idea.

I'm so new to C++ (particularly on Linux) that I have no idea what's available and I know nothing about graphics programming, so...my project might just end up being some little program that isn't fancy but does something useful...like a text-based address book...? I don't know. I just want to use this event as motivation to truly study and attempt to understand the workings of C++.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 01:19
Blargh. Status update. collision is stinky. My collision code words in one simulation, but not in another, meaning somewhere its not a universal enough method. Grumble grumble. It doesnt like the left sides of inifity slope'd lines. I wonder why?

But in other news, using a couple of neat tricks, the physics dynamics seems to work well with up to around 162 sides. Or, if you have a bunch of triangles and some walls, around 50 triangles and 4 walls. I think I'll be able to kick it up far beyond that if I continue to carry out some of the cool tricks.

How is everyone else's projects coming?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 01:37
Mine is coming along fine, I just need to know how to do collisions with Sparky's DLL, I am going to go through some example code and see what I can whip up.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Mine's is coming coming along fine. I should make a WIP thread soon.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm ironing out lazy and inefficient coding before I start working on anything else, i hope to have a WIP by christmas.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 03:33
sweeet, I cant wait to see the top notch work! What ends up happening with the people who honor their pledge? Does TGC take any notice? As in, will finished pledges be bundled together and linked to in the newsletter? I think that would be nice.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 11:00
Quote: "Excellent question! I have no idea.

I'm so new to C++ (particularly on Linux) that I have no idea what's available and I know nothing about graphics programming, so...my project might just end up being some little program that isn't fancy but does something useful...like a text-based address book...? I don't know. I just want to use this event as motivation to truly study and attempt to understand the workings of C++."

Haha, well there's no better way to learn! If you end up wanting to do graphics stuff, what I've read of my teammates SFML code seems pretty straightforward, and there's tutorials for setting it up in Code::Blocks or manually compiling/writing makefiles.

--------

My progress will manifest itself post-finals.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 17:24
Please read.

Well, my 2D sidescrolling Santa Shoot-em-up game plan showed that I'd take about a year to complete it (mostly because I have so little time to program in my life right now), so I am officially cancelling that project. Master Man Of Justice, if you want to take over that project, or if anyone wants to take over, I'll happily e-mail the model I started

However, I will still be developing a game, it will be much simpler. CoffeeCoder, if you could edit the first post with this, I'd much appreciate it

I will make a game called "Doodle Race". No, not the thing you have between your legs. It's a racing game that can be played on a piece of paper during boring classes at school, and I will make a computer simulation of it.

TheComet

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 18:26
I Ultimate_H pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general project before January 31, 2011.

I hope it's not too late to take part in this. I'm going to try to make a 2.0 version of my Minefield game, this time using the unreal engine, and 3d graphics rather than 2d.

On a side note, where can I post the work on this project, since I can't very well create a WIP thread. I want to be able to post more than just words.

-H

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 18:46
Ultimate_H, you can post your progress inside of this thread if you want to. I can't really think of any other place to post any WIPs, as I'm not sure if they're allowed in Geek Culture...

TheComet, I will update the first post for you. I have to add a couple of people to the post anyhoo.

Quote: "What ends up happening with the people who honor their pledge? Does TGC take any notice? As in, will finished pledges be bundled together and linked to in the newsletter? I think that would be nice.
"

I've tried something similar in the past but I waited too long to ask one of the head people. I'll contact one of the newsletter people and ask them how feasible it is. It will have to go in the February 2011 newsletter though. So that should be plenty of notice, yes?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 19:09
I can't think of a reason BatVink wouldn't do a mention in a future newsletter

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 19:23
I will email BatVink about it then, and see what he has to say.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I, Dared111 aka Dared1111 aka Sensenmann aka Crazy Crimson aka David Smith, pledge to complete a demo aka game snippet aka horror game demo before January 31st, 2011 aka the end of January 2011

Signature? There is no signature!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 22:13 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 22:18
Okay Dared1111, I shall add you to the list.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've changed my mind on doing something with C++ for NaGaCreMo. I love learning C++ and I seem to advancing at a fairly steady pace, but I just spent a good 15 minutes goofing off with DBPro and I realized that I could do something inside of it pretty quickly...so I'm going to go back to my original idea and see if I can't whip it into shape by January.

I do have limited time though, so I won't be working on it for many hours at a time, it will be in short bursts and hopefully because of that I'll have a better chance to come up with ideas.

And so....

I, CoffeeCoder, pledge to create a working game/game demo/general program before January 31st, 2011.

It will be a level editor and quick-n'-dirty test engine for a game idea I've had for a year. All models will be placeholders because my artistry skills are not that great.

Also, I'll be posting my progress on my blog (linked to in my signature) instead of posting a WIP thread because it's just easier that way. I'll link everyone to my progress reports inside of this thread.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 03:39
I, thenerd, pledge to complete a complete physics-based quiz game before January 31st, 2011!

I'm keeping the progress a secret. But I can tell you, it's awesome.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
If only I didn't have my first 3 AS exams in January
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 15:10
I, baxslash, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general project before January 31st, 2011

I'll make a free game especially for NaGaCreMo'11

Soon as I have an idea for the game (and the name) I'll let you know!

I don't want to rush my current WIP and I can't really count "Backlash" as I finished it (more or less) about three weeks ago (even if it isn't quite published yet)!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 18:58 Edited at: 20th Dec 2010 19:01
I've managed to code most of the basic working stuff in my level editor project. I can create and move blocks around as well as delete them (haven't implemented other objects yet).

My code is horrendously messy though, as I was coding it by the seat of my pants whenever I had time. All in all I've spent an hour on it total. I'm having some trouble with BlueGUI and the way I need things to work, though....I'll post an update on my bloggy-thingy in the near future.

Anyhoo, I shall add you to the list thenerd and baxslash.

EDIT: Quick question....

Can you put subroutines/procedures inside of a separate .dba file and #INCLUDE them in your project just like you can with separate function files? Or do subroutines HAVE to be in the same file? I don't see a problem as long as I make sure the variable names are the same...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 09:36 Edited at: 21st Dec 2010 09:38
They can be in the same file just put them after the loop.

EDIT: Checking the sig.

Also trying to decide what game to make... mmm...

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 03:58
Im currently washed down in so much holiday work, weather it be failing my physics mid term with a spectacular 47%, or accidently breaking my girl friends preseant in progress that Id working on for a month, that my entry has been left in the dust. Hopefully after the big Xmas, Ill get back in the game.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can you put subroutines/procedures inside of a separate .dba file and #INCLUDE them in your project just like you can with separate function files? Or do subroutines HAVE to be in the same file? I don't see a problem as long as I make sure the variable names are the same..."

Yeah, works exactly the same. I would advise against using #include though, I find its better just to add it to your project with the pane on the left, this saves you getting errors when it does somehow get added in.

I was also wondering whether for this competition we could have a few categories of 'winners'? Not to win anything, but like judged by other people into categories such 'Most Progress', 'Most Addictive', 'Most Enjoyable' and 'Best Graphics' etc. What do you think?

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 17:48
I, Dar13, pledge to create a working game/game demo/general program before January 31st, 2011.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 19:45
@Mad Nightmare:

I've thought about doing something like that, but we'd need to decide who would be the judge(s) and I'm not that friendly with other TGC members (I don't have their emails and I don't talk to them outside of the boards). But I think it's a greatly fantastic idea, and if you know anyone of the members who you think would be interested in judging, contact them.

I'd be a judge, but I'm working on my own entry, so... However it's not going to be completed so much, it's all just going to be placeholder models.

@Dar13:

Adding you to the list.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't really know anybody who would be interested either, but as there are no prizes involved, I thought maybe it could be internally judged, for example, each person who entered the competition gets a vote in each category, but obviously cannot vote for themselves? Just a thought.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 20:17
Perfect! That's how we'll do it then.

Okay, so after the 31st, everything goes into a "judging" and all of the submitters judge each other's work until the first weekend in February? how would that work?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 20:24 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2010 20:27
We could have a deadline on this thread where all download links to the game/demo can be played, if the game/demo isn't released to the public then it can't be judged for obvious reasons, but you could put all those links in the first thread, and we could have a 2 week playing and voting period, so on roughly the 14th February, each person wishing to must submit their votes.

Edit: Or we could use something this ballotbin to collect the votes?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 10:28 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2010 10:29
Ballot Bin is a good idea. I have been working on an Asteroids clone for this. I'm basing it on the Box2D plugin and I'll be adding some interesting "Physics" based weapons later but I'm just getting the basic thing working at the moment.

Not much to look at yet but here's an early screenshot:

I'll be jazzing it up a lot but the basic 'silhoette' theme will remain.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 12:41 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2010 12:41
Here's my work in progress, this screenshot is just the menu but the rest I'm keeping a secret...

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 12:46 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2010 17:49
Looks nice

I'm rubbish at keeping secrets...

Just to prove it attached is an early demo of the game:

Attachments

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 20:24 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2010 20:28
baxlash, just spend about 10 minute shooting asteroids I like it, but i think the turning has to be a little less sensitive, it's a little hard to aim atm.

I noticed when an asteroid leaves the screen, it disappears slightly before it moves completely off the screen.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 20:28
I've done my main variables for my saving/loading feature, just to get them out of the way. But I'm not saying much. I prefer to keep it a secret, so at least if I don't deliver I've not brought up any expectations.

I might work on the first bit of gameplay when I get a long stretch of free time (now that I have a job I'm working 40 hours a week and only get time to put my feet up and chill at the weekend).

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
i like the voting idea
Just dont overdo the amount of categories like, best spacegame, best c++ game etc...

I m on christmasholiday now so wont be progressing much
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 10:18
Quote: "I like it, but i think the turning has to be a little less sensitive, it's a little hard to aim atm."

Were you using the mouse or keys?

I didn't put controls up did I:
WASD/Arrowkeys/Mouse to move
Space to fire (maybe left click too can't remember)

Quote: "I noticed when an asteroid leaves the screen, it disappears slightly before it moves completely off the screen."

Yeah, they should be re-appearing on the other side of the screen but I need to adjust the scale slightly to avoid them simply vanishing, thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:07:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:07:52