Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] NaGaCreMo '11

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I, Pictionaryjr, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general project before January 31st, 2011

It'll be my menu maker for dark basic. A little part of my editor =)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2010 05:26
I do not like the voting idea. I thought this was suppose to merely be inspiration to finish a project. I didnt realise it would become a contest.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
@baxslash, my bad, didn't realize you could use the mouse, but the keys seemed too sensitive.

Quote: " I thought this was suppose to merely be inspiration to finish a project."

How does it draw away from the inspiration? If anything I think it increases motivation to drive towards one of these goals, but of course, each to their own opinion.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2010 01:51
It might give the feeling of competition when really the goal is to seek a reward that is not in winning, but instead in the fulfillment that one finds in the completion of a project.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2010 10:55 Edited at: 26th Dec 2010 11:03
It's a different mentality and there exist different motives.

A competition asks for a person to put in their best work so they can try and better everybody else.

A NaWhateverMo is a spin off of NaNoWriMo where the principle is to give people goal to reach within a month, no competing, you win by succeeding not by doing better than somebody else. There's plenty of competitions out there and I think NaGaCreMo was started with the intention of being a little different. Your game could be a piece of crap with a lot work needed but that doesn't matter because you've got the foundations. My NaNoWriMo entry 2008 is still being edited, it was a piece of crap, but it has laid the foundations for something a lot better.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Dec 2010 19:34
Everybody has fair points.

NaGaCreMo was started to simply motivate people to program a working something, whether it's a game or a simple program, within the given time frame. The "no competition" mindset is perfect for this sort of thing.

It's my belief that if we implemented a voting system for the submitted entries, people would start seeing NaGaCreMo as an unofficial TGC game competition, and the event's simple goal would be lost.

So as good of an idea as it is, it would not work with NaGaCreMo.

Of course, nothing says we can't tell others' inside of this thread (once January 31st has passed) which games/programs were our favorites. That doesn't count as judging, does it?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2010 20:13
Exactly, come January 31st, everyone can share their games and get their just deserves. In a good way

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2010 00:53
Sounds good. I mean, I'm happy for people to do what they want to do as I'd hate to rain on people's parade, but of course, that was my opinion on the matter. Chances are, I would ask my project to be removed from the judging process if entries were judged.

But of course, there's no harm in somebody running a competition in a similar vain for one month in the year or even something similar to the 3D Competition I started a few years ago, which ended up in much better hands (and with newsletter coverage too). So something every month.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2010 01:23
well on a different note, with X-mas come and gone (and I with a one year subscription to AppHub) its time to get back into the grind. Do you guys think it would be distastful to put my project into the WIP boards if the only TGC product im using are some of the sounds?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Dec 2010 01:34
I think so, snall. I think you can only create a WIP thread if you are using DarkBASIC/DGDK to program everything.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2010 01:47
thats what I figured. I guess Ill have to keep it in the Geek Culture section. Darn.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 05:15
I agree, not voting. Do it for yourself, for your mom, for the lulz, but not to compete.

Anyway, mini update on mine: using the XNA 4.0 DynamicSoundEffectInstance class to do some fun music stuff. More info later on when I've got something besides a bunch of goofy experiments.

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 03:25
I, BlueKlayman, pledge to complete a working game/game demo/general
forum name

project before January 31st, 2011

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Competition has officially started! Good luck getting your projects finished everybody!

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 18:46
I, Blobby 101, pledge to complete a game demo of my WWII game before January 31st, 2011.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
It's started, eh? Back to Drive. First things first will be the damn AI.

Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 00:40 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2011 00:42
The idea of it being a competition kinda ruins it tbh. It destroys the point of nagacremo... Judging forces it to really be a competition.

Smoke me a kipper, ill be back for breakfast.

MMORPG -- Many Men Online Role Playing as Girls

G.I.R.L -- Guy In Real Life
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 01:26
As long as there isn't any entry criteria I don't mind if someone wants to judge my entry. We should all just submit what we've made; if someone then decides they'd like to judge the entries, that's their perogative.

I Obese87, on behalf of the Dark Noob Games team, pledge to finish a working version of our space invaders game by 31st January 2011.

I think we should do this more regularly than once a year. It's a nice way to share what we're all working on and encourage each other to get stuff finished.

Everything worthwhile requires effort.
Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 02:14 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 00:17
Quote: "I think we should do this more regularly than once a year. It's a nice way to share what we're all working on and encourage each other to get stuff finished."

This.
I advise the first 28-31 days of each month. @obese this was a joke.

Smoke me a kipper, ill be back for breakfast.

MMORPG -- Many Men Online Role Playing as Girls

G.I.R.L -- Guy In Real Life
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 19:17 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2011 19:26
@Fatal
I don't know if many people would have something to complete every month. I was thinking more of making it a quarterly event, but who knows. I suppose we could keep it running every month for smaller projects, demo releases and updates but have the quarterly/yearly main event for full games/applications being completed.
That's just what I imagine might happen if we did it every month, I'm not saying we should have any rules on what you can enter when, the fewer rules the better.

It could become a virtual version of those games conferences like E3

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 20:26
I figure as my incentive is to not tell anybody what my project is or which of my failed projects I'm reviving, I won't post a WIP thread until I've got a fully functional demo out. However, considering all bar 1 incomplete project have been RPGs, I think talking about the engine won't do any harm.

The only modelling I'll be doing is mapping, no character models or anything like that, hopefully I'll get a new PC at the end of the month and I'll be able to do my 3D stuff again. I'll only be doing weekends.

Weekend 1: RPG Variables, LUA and main engine functions

I've got all of the variables I need for saving character data set up with LUA commands, so data can be saved and loaded. Also, some of the mathematics for deducting HP has been sussed. I've also left space for inventory (added a few weapons to make it work).

The main engine functions are pretty much: Wander about, fight, talk to NPCs and access your various menus. Everything's there now, it just needs building and tidying. The enemy has a line of sight, if you walk into it, you get attacked, you can step out again, but you can't attack it until you lock on. Enemies will also re spawn (I've put in a spawn counter)

To-Do Next:
Tidy up the code (it's a mess)
Add the RPG variables into the engine and make the battle run from them
Have multiple spawns
Have a full NPC convo

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Tidy up the code (it's a mess)"

This almost always ends up with me rewriting, and then never completing the project.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 00:37
Hence I've started doing it at intervals. I have the basic stuff down, now I can tidy and build on top of it. It's also why I've done all of the variables and saving/loading data and other prep stuff in another project file. I can just add it straight in when the rest pf the code is ready for it.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 19:41
Quote: "I think we should do this more regularly than once a year. It's a nice way to share what we're all working on and encourage each other to get stuff finished."

What about twice a year? We could hold another NaGaCreMo over the summer. That would give a lot of us who are still in school more time to work on our projects.

Or we could move NaGaCreMo to that time too...the only reason it's still held at the beginning of the year is because, originally, it was a New Year's resolution of Zennasem's to create a working project within the first month of the year, and he wanted to share his resolution with other's and asked if they would do the same; and thus NaGaCreMo was born!

But anyway, I think twice a year would be fairly manageable...what do you all think? Should we keep it as a one-time-per-year event? Or should we make it a twice-or-more-event?

OBese and Blobby, I shall add you to the list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Small update on my project:

I haven't been able to work on it much as I've hardly had time to be on the computer, but I've been using that time to come up with ideas for the game I will program. However, I doubt I can complete anything more than the first level or so in the next 28 days. So that's what I'm gonna do.

The game will be classified as a third-person-shooter platforming RPG of sorts...it should prove interesting to program.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 20:46
Quote: "What about twice a year? We could hold another NaGaCreMo over the summer. That would give a lot of us who are still in school more time to work on our projects. "
I'd support that, the winter is always a really busy time for me, and I'd imagine that a lot of people have my same problem...

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 20:54
ack. New semester at school brings on physics magnetism and fun stuff like that. Mid year exams are soon too which means those need to get studied for. Currently grieving over the loss of a dear friend. I dont think Im going to be able to come through with my pledge. I would like to decommission myself from the nagacremo.

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 21:24 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 17:08
today atlast i could continue on my project, added collision and some other stuff. next i think ill try to make a solar system with random encounters in it, instead of the level based system i have in it now.
after that bases, new ships etc. my wip is in the program anouncements where i posted my game when i first thought it was finnished ( i was wrong )
having some problems with vsync and d3dfunc.dll not wanting to work together

i dont even dream over tidying my code

*THERE IS AN IMAGE HIDDEN BEHIND THE LINK* ----------->

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 00:52 Edited at: 4th Jan 2011 00:54
i think quarterly would be best. That would mean January, April, July and October.
That way people doing bigger projects could split it up over the year and just commit to getting a section completed each quarter. It would be nice to have an update on how things are progressing on those projects. Yes we have the WIP board but development takes a long time and most threads become dull, full of miniscule updates or die off completely. This is a nice showcase of what has been achieved in the last quarter/month. Also, as flashing snall sadly pointed out, things happen irl that might cause us to drop out, so having it more regularly means people can give that project another go when they're ready to return.

Why is it National Game Creation Month, when we're all over the world? I think we should drop the National and call it GaCreMo.

@noobnerd
Those sprites look great

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 00:58
One thing that I'm worried about is that if we had it more than once a year, it might cause people to participate less in official TGC competitions, which I feel need more support and entries...

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
TBH the current competition was timed badly. I was going to enter until I saw NaGaCreMo. Maybe TGC cound refrain from doing Community Compos when there's is a NaGaCreMo going on? I vote for doing it every December - January and every July-August because people still going to school have time there(summer and winter break).

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 01:36
Well, honestly I'd only think that would happen if NaGaCreMo had TGC's official support... which would probably be a good thing if we were having it more often.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 02:52
Quote: "One thing that I'm worried about is that if we had it more than once a year, it might cause people to participate less in official TGC competitions, which I feel need more support and entries..."

Precisely, which is why I suggested that rather than hold it quarterly, we hold it only twice a year (at the beginning of the year and over the summer). I think doing it that way would work better.

Also, OBese, I agree with you that we need to drop "Na(tional)" from NaGaCreMo, as it's caused a lot of confusion in the past.

What would be a suitable replace for the word "National"? Just calling it GaCreMo looks too short and sounds awkward when falling out of my mouth; it definitely needs a fourth word.

Who wants to propose a new word for the beginning of GaCreMo?

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 03:33
How about FoGaCreMo?

Forum Game Creation Month.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 10:29 Edited at: 4th Jan 2011 10:31
Well, if you want to do more of these "make a game in an extremely short period of time" you could just do the Experimental Gameplay Project every month. They're also pretty lax with rules and they don't judge.

Signature? There is no signature!
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 14:09
I, Ched, pledge to complete a working game demo of "The Launch" using the App Game Kit before January 31st, 2011.

I've already built a working beta in MS-Excel so I'm ready and waiting for the AppGameKit to be released. Then it's just a simple matter of spending months debugging and working around the features that can't be coded in AppGameKit

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 19:19
Quote: "Why is it National Game Creation Month, when we're all over the world? I think we should drop the National and call it GaCreMo."

It was: interNational Game Creation Month, I think the 'Na' was kept to attribute where the idea came from, NaNoWriMo (which is also done around the world). But I suppose FoGaCreMo is just as obvious, we've had it for 3 years (I think), I'm not sure if a name change matters, but I wouldn't be against it.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 19:51
Quote: "I, Ched, pledge to complete a working game demo of "The Launch" using the App Game Kit before January 31st, 2011."

You might have a slight problem with that seeing as AppGameKit is a Spring release

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 23:53
Quote: "You might have a slight problem with that seeing as AppGameKit is a Spring release"

Arg. I should I looked at the date before posting! make that 31st Jan 2012

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 01:14 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 01:18
@noobnerd
I hate to be the forum police but could you remove the image from your post and just have a link to it? It's kind of stretching the whole thread.

InGaCreMo sounds good. Forum game sounds like games to play on the forum like the posting challenge lol.

I don't see how this would conflict with any TGC competition, it's not a competition. Your pledge could even been to complete an entry for the TGC competition. You don't win anything either so I don't see what would make you choose to enter this instead of an official competition.

How often should InGaCreMo take place?
I think we're all over-thinking this matter: any month could essentially be an InGaCreMo, the maximum of course is 12 per year and that doesn't seem excessive to me. I wouldn't enter every month personally, but I can't see why we should prevent someone from holding an InGaCreMo if they want to.

I think we are all agreed that there should be no formal organization of InGaCreMo; no judging, no prizes, just encouraging each other and sharing our work.

So I say we leave it totally open. At the moment we just have one InGaCreMo in January, but we could have another one in any month. If someone wants to enter but there is no thread, they create one for others to join.

I think we need two rules here:
1. If an InGaCreMo is to be held, its thread must be created before the first day of the chosen month.
2. If two or more threads are created for the same InGaCreMo, only the oldest unlocked thread should be used.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 06:02
Quote: "InGaCreMo sounds good."

Anyone have any objections to this name change?

Quote: "I don't see how this would conflict with any TGC competition, it's not a competition. Your pledge could even been to complete an entry for the TGC competition."

Absolutely true.

Quote: "How often should InGaCreMo take place?"

I'm gonna stick to one-to-four times a year...honestly I think twice a year would be a good place to start, but I'd be willing to go to four. I just want to make sure it takes place in decent months where no one's extremely busy with school.

Quote: "I think we are all agreed that there should be no formal organization of InGaCreMo; no judging, no prizes, just encouraging each other and sharing our work."

Agreed 1000%.

Quote: "I think we need two rules here:
1. If an InGaCreMo is to be held, its thread must be created before the first day of the chosen month.
2. If two or more threads are created for the same InGaCreMo, only the oldest unlocked thread should be used."

Again, agreed 1000%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Progress report of my project:

I've got the level editor for my game to a nearly-finished state. I just need to add a level saving/loading routine (won't take more than a few minutes) and create all of the objects used in the game. I believe I'll be able to create a WIP thread on it soon and even post a beta.

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 17:03 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 17:09
im fine with InGaCreMo, but maybe it could be DaGaCreMo? As for Dark? Although som people do their games in c++and others i guess most entries will be in dbp or dbc?

@obese : thx for compliments.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 00:45
Quote: "I'm gonna stick to one-to-four times a year...honestly I think twice a year would be a good place to start, but I'd be willing to go to four. I just want to make sure it takes place in decent months where no one's extremely busy with school."

This is why I said not to restrict when it can take place. People are busy at different times of the year. Yes each individual will probably enter only 1-4 times a year like you said, but who's to say when they'll be able to enter?
The biggest months will be when lots of people are on holiday at the same time. So there will probably be two big months (Christmas and Summer holidays), but I don't see why it shouldn't be ongoing through the smaller months between the two big holiday seasons - if there are people willing to make "The Pledge" .
We'd be letting the community decide when the big event was instead of imposing a date.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 02:27
But by imposing a date and limiting how often the event happens, InGaCreMo feels a bit more "official"; if we held it every month, it wouldn't feel as fun or as official in the long run, and it would kinda feel like it's lost its mojo. At least, that's what I think. By holding it only a couple of times a year, it retains that feeling and it doesn't wear down. Does that make sense? Sometimes I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts and making my points clear.

---------------------------------------------------

I've got a thread for my level editor up and running in the WIP boards. I have a program available for download but there's a bug in it (that has since been fixed) but before I upload a newer version I want to add a couple of more things. Linky.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 20:56
@CC
Yeah I totally understand your view, I thought the same thing originally, but it wouldn't necessarily run every month, just whenever at least one person had a project to complete. It is better when there are a few people entering because you feel more of a need to finish your project, and it's more interesting to follow because there's more going on.

Maybe we could compromise and say that InGaCreMo can happen in any month but require a minimum number of entrants for it to be recognized as an official InGaCreMo - say around five entrants. This way we let the community decide when it happens but also we prevent dull months with one or two entrants that would make people stop taking notice of InGaCreMo.

Of course there's nothing to stop an individual pledging that they will complete a project in a month (didn't you say this is how NaGaCreMo started?), but I agree that InGaCreMo should be something special.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
If its not something special. It will eventually dull down. Look at the DBC and DBP challenges

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 22:02 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 22:30
@OBese:

I can agree to that.

@Ched: Do you still want to be added to the list even though AppGameKit isn't out yet?

Sorry for the delayed response guys, I thought I responded yesterday but I must not have clicked "Post Message".

EDIT:

I've posted an update on my project. View here please.

HippyJonYo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 00:43
I, HippyJonYo, pledge to make my first full game in Darkbasic Pro before January 31,2011.

That was an untactical decision.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 12:58 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 12:59
Okay then, does everyone agree with this...

InGaCreMo can be held during any month of the year, provided all of the following requirements are met:
1. An InGaCreMo thread must be created in Geek Culture before the first day of the chosen month.
2. There can be no entry requirements, judging or prizes awarded.
3. Participants join by posting a pledge to complete a programming task of their choosing, including a description of what they aim to achieve by the end of the month.
4. At least 5 participants must join for the month to be recognized as an official InGaCreMo.
5. If more than one thread exists for the same InGaCreMo, the oldest unlocked thread is recognized as the official thread - newer threads should be abandoned.

Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 13:11 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 13:15
InGaCreMo should be stickied too (the current one).
And yes i agree with obese

This will help combat procastination!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 18:24
I agree with OBese's requirements.

Fatal Berserker, I love that image!

@HippyJonYo, I shall add you to the list.

------------------------------------------------

My level editor's reached nearly 1000 lines of code, and it's still nowhere as close to done as I'd like it to be. I spent half the night last night trying to get lights and their color and position saved out to disk. It worked the first time I tried it, then somehow I broke it, thought I fixed it, but then that way didn't work either....this is what I had to do....

For some reason I couldn't just use the variable "TotalLights", I had to add it to the object number, and then subtract 1 from the sum so that the program wouldn't give me an "Object Not Found" error.

And that solution didn't really hit me like other solutions would, it was kind of like "I'm just gonna experiment until I get a working result". And it worked, and it was such a relief!

This year's NaGaCreMo has been especially effective for me. I'm more motivated than ever before and I'm actually programming on my own rather than asking for help! Except for shooting a laser gun. I can't figure that out myself.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:14:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:14:15