Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Project Apex Official Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That being multiplayer fixes/enhancements."

Precisely and looking at the feature list, our wishes could slowly be coming true
Gun_Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 15:43
If you are looking at doing multiplayer then how about:
Voice Chat
Coop

Uhh what else did we all want?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Wish you all the best with this new mod.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 21:45 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2011 23:55
Unnecessary original post. I think I found the answer on page 2.

====================================================

I agree with Ply. Focusing on Multiplayer probably would be very good at first. Once that is all take care of and stable, then one can go on with other things.

Addendum:

OH, and best to your new project.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I honestly wouldn't put much in FPS Creator's multiplayer. I mean, perhaps you can actually get it to be decent along with FPSCIP, but generally I still find it lacking majorly. I hope you can get things to go, and make it better. It'd be nice to see more variety than the standard team deathmatch.

I just now realized I've had a typo in my signature for the past 3 years.
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 19:17
Quote: "I honestly wouldn't put much in FPS Creator's multiplayer"

I agree. Personally I would like to see a mod that has Multiplayer stripped from it.

HockeyKid,

Maybe you could use a polling script to take a quick crude survey to see what people are really wanting to see improvements on.

As I already stated in the begining of the thread, I would REALLY like to see improvement in handling more polys per scene.
My reasoning for this personaly is that the current releases of FPSC has so many possibliies already with scripting.

All in all I think a Mod to handle more polys would put the icing on the cake for me and I think it would be a popular mod in this case.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 19:36 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 19:37
I think a mod without multiplayer is a terrible idea. The multiplayer feature is very useful for those who want to make a simple or complex game to play with their friends and have fun.

Albeit a very buggy and outdated part of FPSC, all that it really needs is some attention and it could be very promising (just look at single player V1.16 to now).

However, a mod that can support more polygons would definitely hit the spot with FPSC so we can see a wider variety of different level types and sizes (including outdoor)
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, anyone would love to see FPS Creator's multiplayer get updated, but in the 6 years FPS Creator has been around or so, only minute things were added / improved.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 22:26
Quote: "However, a mod that can support more polygons would definitely hit the spot with FPSC so we can see a wider variety of different level types and sizes (including outdoor) "

Agree. However outdoor is not currently impossible, just tricky..

Quote: "anyone would love to see FPS Creator's multiplayer get updated"

Quote: "a mod without multiplayer is a terrible idea"

Stop me if I am wrong, but isn't that the focal point of FPSC IP?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Though I don't think multiplayer will be a main focus of this mod it will defiantly get some updates.

As for FPS and VM I defiantly going to be looking into those.

tecbug
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd prefer optimising FPSC to allow outdoor levels.
If it's difficult to make outdoor and indoor engines as one, why not to make 2 engines (you make your levels separately in indoor editor and other levels in outdoor editor) and then merge them in one when building a game.
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 23:27
HockeyKid is looking into all of this. And no, as HockeyKid has stated. This mod is not just a MP mod.

Quote: "Stop me if I am wrong, but isn't that the focal point of FPSC IP?"

In a way, it gives you a nice lobby and game launching with chat. It does not however provide much more than that. It does not fix the WTJ. And it does not allow for other game modes. This mod will.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 23:53
Soviet, thanks for clearing that up a little, I don't follow mods very closely, aside from this one from now on.

HockeyKid,
What direction do you think you might go with upping the Frame Rate? Hardware accel. or better optimization of the engine itself?

I can't say I have tested vigoursly on netbooks, but I would imagine hardware accel. wouldn't do a lot of good in that market.
On the other hand, It would do wonders for those on heavy hitting rigs.
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 00:01
Quote: "Soviet, thanks for clearing that up a little"

No problem

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 00:10
Quote: "Though I don't think multiplayer will be a main focus of this mod it will defiantly get some updates."

Personally, I think the best route that you could take this mod to really get a 'fresh start' on things would be to make it specifically for single play mode, and remove any and all traces of multiplayer code to keep the mod as optimized for single play as it can be. Optimization and better performance seems to be the one crucial aspect that everyone can agree on and what everybody wants with the migration still in developement; so why not build the mod around that?

As far as I can see, Project Blue already has multiplayer as updated as it can be at this time (right down to FPSC IP integration). Wouldn't it make more sense to add those one or two new multiplayer updates that you have in mind for this mod to the mod that's already got a good foundation for them, rather than muck up your 'fresh start' with the same thing that PB already brings to the table?

Anyway, my suggestion ; while Project Blue seems to be the universal mod covering anything and everything for both single and multiplayer modes, Project Apex could become a core mod for single player mode; stripped of all multiplayer code, and the seemingly unused and crucially specific features of Project Blue. Build it around optimization; leaving it to contain only the most in-demand and universal features that would work well with any game of just about any genre that you would expect to find in the WIP board. For example;

Flashlight
Inventory System
FSS System
AA and AF
Limb Scaling
Scriptable Cameras
Third Person

If need be, as someone already mentioned, you could always write a second exe, stripped of all single player features, leaving only an optimized multiplayer mod; Project Apex SP.exe, Project Apex: MP.exe. Just my two cents

Kravenwolf

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 00:16
I'm going to give my 2 cents:
I agree with Kravenwolf that optimization is an ideal main focus. Then I would agree about having the two different .exe's. I say update singleplayer and optimize it to make it more powerful, then start the code fresh and build upon mulitplayer. Honestly you could make both separate mods and I would buy both.

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
@Kravenwolf

Having two separate exe's does sound like a good alternative, especially if a smaller exe produce better performance

Even if multiplayer is not the focal point of the mod, I would be happy to see some nice updates to it.
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 00:55
One little side request:
If you are going to release the source, could you <!--comment--> the heck out of it with, so a coding dumby like myself can get an idea of what is going on in the code?
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
He isn't releasing the source. You don't ever release the source on a mod you plan on selling.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 05:14 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 12:50
*Added mpfriendlyfireoff=x to setup.ini mpfriendlyfireoff=1 will turn friendly fire off while playing team death match
*Added mpgametype=x to setup.ini mpgametype=1 will turn team death match on
*Added "Team Name" field to entities (when you right click on an entity in the editor) to set their team for team death macth
*Added team death match
*Added hurt hud when getting shot in multiplayer
*Hid player weapon when killed and waiting to respawn in multiplayer

I'll also be adding mpgametype=x and mpfriendlyfireoff=x as scripting commands. Best part about these commands is there is no way for a player to "cheat" by changing the values. When a new player joins the host sends the correct values to the new player.

This code is NOT from PB/Lemur.

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 07:35
This is awesome! how about dynamics in multiplayer?
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
This is coming on brilliantly hockeykid I like the nice few features here

Could you also fix the spawning system where players respawn near their team-mates and respectively, far away from enemies? The temporary invincibility after a spawn is also irritating, since they can still kill other players but they themselves cannot be damaged.

Good luck!
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 14:56
@TerrorNation: I completely disagree about that. Nothing against you, but a COD approach to this is ruining a great system. Then again, I come from back when there was spawn camping. The temporary invincibility is a great feature. If the player kills another player while still invincible, that player was spawn camping and therefore deserves to die. I've always liked that more than the COD style spawning. Then again, its up to Hockeykid.

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
@Design Runner

Quote: "Nothing against you, but a COD approach to this is ruining a great system."

I agree that the COD respawn system was not the best idea, I was just thinking that even a player that happened to pass by (not spawn camping on FPSC) would be affected by this ghostly immune character that could just get an unfair kill. If they were spawn camping, they deserve it, but many players don't and that's where the problem arises.
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 17:22
Crispex,
Quote: "He isn't releasing the source"

Bummer, but I suppose releasing the source would be sort of counter productive for a paid for mod.

HockeyKid, any thought on what direction to go for performance improvement, hardware accel. or optimization of the source code itself?
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Question, why would you assume you'd get the source? If you have the source, that means you could run off and make your own mod, or compile it under different running conditions. It is a shame that more mods aren't open source, but meh.

Anyway, I agree that there should be two versions, compiling it into one mod means users will be running features they aren't even using.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 02:20
but hockeykid how's that gonna be ? like 30 40 bucks ? just like the pb ?

i know you still have no idea about 'price' but it won't be like the price of two fpsc copies, and... have you consider if this mod will be just a new start or it's ment to be not just a new start but also better than pb ? or you're not even thinking about that yet ?

Quote: "It is a shame that more mods aren't open source, but meh."

well... well...

so your sayng like...

put a price in a industrialized cake...

and give away the secret recepy ?

?
?
?

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
*Fixed multiplayer bug causing the player's health default at 100 after the first death

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "well... well...

so your sayng like...

put a price in a industrialized cake...

and give away the secret recepy ?"

No, if you would have read, you would see that I have a full understanding that it'd be idiotic to give away the source when someone purchases it. I swear, people don't read.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 11:19
@hockeykid, since you seem to be going after multiplayer bug fixes, it might be worth looking into the iron sights issue that came up with Training Grounds; whenever a player aimed down the sights of their weapon, the gun became a one-shot-kill.

Kravenwolf

TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
@Kravenwolf

I'm not totally sure about this but I think Lee might have fixed that bug already with V1.17 (I remember seeing it somewhere)
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 12:42
It was hardcoded into FPSC that zooming with a weapon produced a one-shot-kill. Since ironsights are a form of zooming, they followed the same rule. This was not a bug, just an undesireable feature.

The one and only,

Only those who sow the seeds of their desires will reap their benefits later.
However, I have seeds of my own to tend to. I don't have time to be someone else's watering can.
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 16:39
Quote: "since you seem to be going after multiplayer bug fixes, it might be worth looking into the iron sights issue that came up with Training Grounds; whenever a player aimed down the sights of their weapon, the gun became a one-shot-kill."

Already fixed Kravenwolf

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Added $FPS to variable system. This will return the game's current FPS, the purpose of this is to allow game and graphical adjustments to be altered via script to improve FPS when it's low.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 01:40
Quote: "No, if you would have read, you would see that I have a full understanding that it'd be idiotic to give away the source when someone purchases it. I swear, people don't read."

Quote: "full understanding"

i know you have...

i'm just said ''NOBODY will and NOBODY shoud '''EVER''' do that''

you know that too.

actualy... i'm the one that asked plystire if the project blue woud ever be free, cuz i supposedly heard some rumors about that, and in the end i was probably drunk and confused the pg with the pb, cuz there was ''NO RUMORS'', nowhere, all just came from my head.

ahhh... too much do that with people hell...

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish I could use alcohol as an excuse for when I make mistakes.

SonOfLight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 05:16
Yeah...I just hope for better Frame rate..... dont wana sound dumb.. but guess you cant get around it
Where can I go to post ..if you can put FPSC entities in Unity.?

-SOL
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
*Added new gunspec command altuseprimeammo=x this will allow your alt gun mode to use the same ammo as your primary mode, this can be useful for things like firing modes.

Nigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 20:48
Add player legs to it.

So they work with script.. "Legs1"

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no swearing thanks
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 07:58 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 19:05
*Added $MPD2 to the internal variables for the new (Project Blue) variable system. This will return the second parameter value of the last mpsenddata=x y you recieved (This command is like mpdata=x y only more flexible because of the variable system)
*Added $MPD to the internal variables for the new (Project Blue) variable system. This will return the first parameter value of the last mpsenddata=x y you recieved (This command is like mpdata=x y only more flexible because of the variable system)
*Added new FPI condition mpdata=x y this will check the values from the last mpsenddata=x y that was recieved X is the value you're checking for and Y is the parameter
if you used mpsenddata=10 5, and wanted to check for the 5 you would use mpdata=5 2 or if you wanted to check for the 10 you would use mpdata=10 1
*Added new FPI action mpnewdata=x this will return if there are any currently "unchecked" flags
*Added new FPI action mpsenddata=x y this will allow you to send 2 values at a time to all the other clients in the multiplayer game

These new commands can be used in so many different was (such as kill streaks).

Heres a quick example of them being used to allow for "dynamic" doors.

Tony06270
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 10:18
Hello.

I change email address.
I send the new has hockeykid for Project Blue?

Thank you.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 14:36 Edited at: 13th Mar 2011 19:32
EDIT: Needless post; ignore
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 19:11
Quote: "Any help?"

Trust me, there will be plenty of help and examples for new users, and non scripters

TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I am a scripter, I was just a bit confused with hockeykid's wording in his examples of how the commands work.

I'll read over them again now; I was a bit tired earlier
NinjaKiller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 19:55
I was wondering, is it possible for someone to host off of a server using FPSC? Like Black Ops kind of thing where you dont have to know the people?

Call me Ninja
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 22:45 Edited at: 13th Mar 2011 22:47
Quote: "Well I am a scripter, I was just a bit confused with hockeykid's wording in his examples of how the commands work.

I'll read over them again now; I was a bit tired earlier"

Ok, I'll describe the latest commands a bit more simply for you. So, you know that multiplayer involves sending values like position data, shooting,jumping. Well the mpsendflag=x y allows you to send a value of your own to all the other players. Here is an example

So essentially you could have it so when a player gets a kill streak he sends say mpsendflag=3 0, you can make it so when the other clients see the 3 they trigger an air strike.

The word flag should not be thought of as a real flag (so no this is not capture the flag).

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 03:54 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 12:08
That's awesome!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
*Added new FPI action radarenemyhud=x is the hudname of the hud you want to use for the enemy dot on the radar
*Added new FPI action radarfriendlyhud=x is the hudname of the hud you want to use for the friendly dot on the radar
*Added new FPI action radarhud=x X is the hudname of the hud you want to use for the radar
*Added new FPI action radary=x X will set the radar's Y position on screen. Defaulted at 0
*Added new FPI action radarx=x X will set the radar's x position on screen. Defaulted at 0
*Added new FPI action radarrange=x X is how far the radar can "see". Defaulted at 1000 units
*Added new FPI action radarradius=x X is equal to the radius of the circle that FPSC will draw for the radar (if not using your own radar image)
*Added new FPI action radar=x if x=1 then the radar will turn on if x=0 the radar will turn off

Allys will appear green on the radar and enemies will appear red if you're not using your own images. This can also be used in multiplayer.

Heres a picture using the default radar images.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 12:46 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 12:47
For the flag commands, why not use the word 'trigger' or 'data' instead of 'flag' to avoid confusion with the capture the flag game mode in multiplayer games.
Even if you say there is not capture the flag mode now, I can foresee alot of new users thinking it has capture the flag because of those commands.

Something like 'mpsendtrigger=X Y' or 'mpsenddata=X Y'.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Agreed

mpflag=x is now mpdata=x
mpnewflag=x is now mpnewdata=x
mpsendflag=x y is now mpsenddata=x y
$MPF is now $MPD
$MPF2 is now $MPD2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 02:35:28