Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Project Apex Official Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 02:05
Great idea to modernize a bit, the multiplayer in FPSC.
I hope it brings many improvements.

Shakleford
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 11:25
@Hockeykid- With the ability to un-hardcode MP animations...if I were to add a lean animation to a character..does this mean we could have a working lean feature in MP.

My name is Shakleford, Rusty Shakleford, I refuse to speak without my attorny present. I am Mr. Shaklefords attorny Rusty Shakleford, my client pleads insanity.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2011 02:40 Edited at: 30th Mar 2011 03:04
*Added new setup.ini command runasserver=x this will make it so the host of a multiplayer game will run as a server so the host can leave a running server while not playing
This will shrink the application window and not render anything to allow for optimal computer performance while the server is running

Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
Making quite considerable progress with this HockeyKid. Keep up the good work.
underthegun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2011 02:38
If I may chime in,
I bought FPSC to tell stories but I guess I'm bias as I've never really liked multiplayer FPS games or MP games in general.

I play games for the story lines, personally. So seeing a mod centered around single game play would be ideal for me.

Maybe not in terms of actually creating it but wouldn't it make the engine run smoother to take out anything MP related? Make an SP mod and an MP mod and charge separately for both?
- Please excuse my limited knowledge of creating mods for FPSC, I may be entirely thinking this works in ways it doesn't.
DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
MP is the way to go. Sadly TGC cannot and I am assuming they never will fix the fact that MP is boring without explosions and gameplay types. I know other mods have they gameplay types but still without grenades and RPG's MP just isnt the same. Many mods already focus on single so let them have at it. Lets finally get an all in one MP mod that will change the minds of these SP developers in here. No offense to them but most SP games are fun to play once but MP is always fun. I originally bought this engine for the MP but was sadly disappointed when I learned of all the missing options. Still to this day have not made a SP game and have no plans to. Please focus on MP aspects but mainly grenades/explosions of all types.

Also would like to add I would pay twice what I paid for PB if dynamics were possible in MP.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 06:03
This is going to be a great mod. I just love the new commands!

Cheers.

God help me, Please.

Come on down to my site at Unleashed FPSCreators
Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm with the ones backing MP... very much needed, in fact I even offered a paid contract for features, however, I have decided to look at the source myself. Would be interesting to see what HockeyKid wraps up the first release with

Want your games to look professional? Website! - Thread!
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 18:04
I agree with all the statements. Although, hockeykid never just stops at one section. He plans on implementing single-player stuff as well. It's actually really nice to see a touch up on multi-player. This mod will be epic.

DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
Another suggestion would be to kill the auto dds creation.... VERY annoying.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 18:42 Edited at: 16th Jun 2011 18:43
The radar will be good for a heartbeatsensor for guns. I can't wait for this.

Just wondering, will this have shooting decals or akimbo?

Cheers.

God help me, Please.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 18:32 Edited at: 19th Jun 2011 18:33
Quote: "I wish I could use alcohol as an excuse for when I make mistakes."

i wish i could use alcohol as an excuse to [u]ALL[/u] of my mistakes, i'm not sure if there is that much beer in the world, but whatever

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 00:33
For the radar, does it have to be a circle, or could it be a square?

Also, when should we expect this mod? Or is unable to be determined at this point?

Cheers.

God help me, Please.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "For the radar, does it have to be a circle, or could it be a square?"

Circle only, at least for now.

Quote: "Also, when should we expect this mod? Or is unable to be determined at this point?"

Unable to be determined, I've been very busy lately.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 02:33
Quote: "at least for now"

That gives me hope.

Quote: "Unable to be determined"

Ok then, I was just wondering when to start saving up.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
So can Anti Alias can work in FPSC?.I really like to see how its work.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude And Lee Bamber is my icon.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So can Anti Alias can work in FPSC?.I really like to see how its work."

It works absolutely perfectly, unfortunately AA is pretty hard to spot through pictures though so attempting to show you a picture wouldn't exactly workout.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It works absolutely perfectly, unfortunately AA is pretty hard to spot through pictures though so attempting to show you a picture wouldn't exactly workout"

ok thanks for answering

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude And Lee Bamber is my icon.
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2011 08:15
I know for a fact Project Apex will be packed with some more Epic features here soon.

Shakleford
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 20:47
Hey hockykid, how's progress coming along on the mod

I recently learned to sleep with my eyes open. ..... God am I tired
light mod
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you please have dual wielding in the mod?

- I would really love it, so would a lot of other people.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that I'm working on Apex again.

At the moment I'm working on reducing the amount of virtual memory used, which so far has gone great!

As many of you may know, the biggest virtual memory hog is light mapping. If you were to watch one of your maps that goes past the virtual memory cap, you'd most likely see it crash at "Begin universe lighting...".

Well I'm here to tell you that's a thing of the past, I've spent the whole day on working on a theory I had thought of. It turns out to work fantastically, with no cons.Now the amount of MB of virtual memory that the light mapper takes is now 0MB, and no this is not a joke.

It's pretty hard to show through pictures, but here are my best attempts:

I'll be adding some more features tomorrow, so keep an eye on this thread

defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 10:04
*hears about 0MB virtual memory usage for lightmapper*

WHHUUUAAAAAAAAAAA

... impressive...

Current Project: Lost Contact: Chapter 1
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 11:02
Now that's impressive! 0mb for lightmapping? Damn!!!
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 12:39 Edited at: 19th Sep 2011 12:41
hockeykid I guess there is no way this is going into the official patch? What if the community paid for this to go into the official patch like when the community raised money for the horror mod source code?

Just an idea

DC

Help bugs!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 12:58 Edited at: 19th Sep 2011 15:25

0mb for lightmapping. That would also be a massive performance boost aswell as half loading times.

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 13:31
buying this mod! when is release?

window 7 ultimate, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 3.3 ghz, XFX Radeon HD6790 1GB, 16gb ram

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 02:53
That is too good for me to believe

Are there really no cons? Differences in quality? If no, then you just discovered the next step to get FPSC even further.

And I'll buy the mod, of course.

-Wolf

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are there really no cons? "

Nothing

Quote: "Differences in quality?"

Nope

Quote: "If no, then you just discovered the next step to get FPSC even further.
"

0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll buy too!!!This is perfect for all of us !

hockeykid
Spriteme is a great tool too.I'll buy ASAP.Is perfect to use with the Construct2.( I'd like to use AppGameKit, but there isn't a visual editor ) I'm doing some little 2D games for TOYARTWAR and this is perfect to render my models.( sorry out of topic )
Gun_Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 12:15
Keep up the good work hockeykid

With the lightmapping being 0mb does that mean the performance will boost?
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 18:26 Edited at: 20th Sep 2011 18:27
means around 700mb+ more space for everything else, byebye 1800mb-limit.

thing is: i am a user of waspv2 mod for all the features it gives. and i am afraid that this will not be compatible

can you get this done in any way?... lets try: we all bang your head and the one of scene commander together until you merge, mightymagicbrumblespeachbanggrummbanggrummbanggrumm...

no? that makes me sad...
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 18:40 Edited at: 20th Sep 2011 18:42
Quote: "Now the amount of MB of virtual memory that the light mapper takes is now 0MB"

That's not only practically impossible, but also theoretically, since the Lightmapper always has to calculate the lightmaps before it's able to output them to the file, thus using memory.

It may be possible to reduce the memory usage, but saying the process consumes no Memory at all is just... false advertising.

The lightmapper could only consume 0MB if it isn't launched at all, or if it's a complete separate process - however, it would still consume memory then, just not memory from the main process - is is that what you meant with the "0MB usage"?

I respect the work you did on the official update and all, but that sentence just caught my attention.

-Doomster

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 00:19 Edited at: 21st Sep 2011 00:21
Quote: "means around 700mb+ more space for everything else, byebye 1800mb-limit."

Not exactly, what people never noticed was that Light-mapping memory is dumped after building the light maps as it always has been. When people were crashing on "Creating Lightmaps" it was because WHILE building the lightmaps it would go over the cap before having the chance to dump its memory. I have found a solution to that though.

For example, I tested a map that took 1,000MB to build light maps. This map would crash at "Creating Lightmaps" because while building the light maps it would go over the memory cap, EVEN THOUGH that later on that light map memory was going to be dumped. At the start of building the light maps it ran out of memory, this memory was going to be dumped later, but we didn't have enough left to finish creating the light maps.

I however, have found a solution for that .

Quote: "but saying the process consumes no Memory at all is just... false advertising."

Defiantly isn't false advertising.

Quote: "The lightmapper could only consume 0MB if it isn't launched at all, or if it's a complete separate process - however, it would still consume memory then, just not memory from the main process - is is that what you meant with the "0MB usage"?"

No, building light maps on a separate thread is already what it does, and that wouldn't have anything to do with saving memory. I can assure you though, the light mapping no longer consumes any of the FPSC engine's virtual memory.

Quote: "With the lightmapping being 0mb does that mean the performance will boost?"

No, light maps are pre-processed so they shouldn't of taken away from performance in the first place.

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 01:05
If only it could have been thrown into blue um...

feedmelmao
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, GREAT job on the 0mb lighting

Just wondering if you have an estimated price on the mod, already saving up lol

Also i was wondering if this mod is compatible with FPSC IP 4.0?
I want the lobby system in that mod but i also want the fixed "waiting to join" in this mod.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Made VAST improvements on the memory consumed by "Pregenerate physics universe..."

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 09:11
Hello there, hockeykid!

All that lightmapping story sounds very interesting to me. As long as you can't really show the effect with pictures - Would you mind to upload a video of building some big level with tons of lightsources which is taking the advantages of your "discovery"?

Best wishes,
TheK

Skype name: thek491
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hello there, hockeykid!

All that lightmapping story sounds very interesting to me. As long as you can't really show the effect with pictures - Would you mind to upload a video of building some big level with tons of lightsources which is taking the advantages of your "discovery"?

Best wishes,
TheK
"

Hi, no problem. But do you mind sending me a .fpm using stock media that has issues at "creating lightmaps" ? That way you can truly see how great it works.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Hockeykid, couple of ideas for your new mod. It would be nice to have better outdoor fps. Also I know that if you sculpt a terrain and import into fpsc, the characters kinda float. It is possible to give a code that can identify the terrain as the ground without cutting it all apart? I guess what I am trying to ask is for terrain support.

Also a big thing for me is load times and blender armature support. The loading page is often slow when you have alot of scripting and the bigger the level the longer the load times. Also using blender armatures is a problem in fpsc, like the use of ragdoll and limb detection. If you input the limb info, it will cause the bones to explode and freeze in the air upon the character's death.

Just a few ideas, great work and I look forward to getting the mod no matter the price. If you need funding for this let me know. I would be glad to support your efforts.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2011 07:08 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2011 07:20
*Added new FPI condition plrfiredweapon=x x can be 1 or 0 to refer to the player's current gun, or x can be the folder path in the "guns" folder to refer to a specific gun EX: plrfiredweapon=0 or plrfiredweapon=1 or plrfiredweapon=eai\g36c

*Added new FPI action switchweapon=x switches the weapon to the slot specified by x or can x can be can be the folder path in the "guns" folder to refer to a specific gun EX: switchweapon=3 or switchweapon=eai\g36c

Quote: "Hey Hockeykid, couple of ideas for your new mod. It would be nice to have better outdoor fps. Also I know that if you sculpt a terrain and import into fpsc, the characters kinda float. It is possible to give a code that can identify the terrain as the ground without cutting it all apart? I guess what I am trying to ask is for terrain support.

Also a big thing for me is load times and blender armature support. The loading page is often slow when you have alot of scripting and the bigger the level the longer the load times. Also using blender armatures is a problem in fpsc, like the use of ragdoll and limb detection. If you input the limb info, it will cause the bones to explode and freeze in the air upon the character's death.

Just a few ideas, great work and I look forward to getting the mod no matter the price. If you need funding for this let me know. I would be glad to support your efforts."

Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep them in mind.

Everyone, just so you know I'm open to ideas. So if you have any, be sure to post them here!

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2011 16:40
Quote: "Hi, no problem. But do you mind sending me a .fpm using stock media that has issues at "creating lightmaps" ? That way you can truly see how great it works."

Sure! I'll prepare one and send it to you via email.

Best wishes,
TheK

Skype name: thek491
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 00:04 Edited at: 25th Sep 2011 00:07
*Added new FPI condition plrhasweapon=x This will check if the player has the specified weapon x can either be the folder path in the "guns" folder to refer to a specific gun or x can be 1 / 0 to check if the player has a weapon in his hand or x can be 2 and then a new y parameter would specify the slot#
EXAMPLES:
plrhasweapon=eai\g36c this will check if the player has the G36c as a weapon
plrhasweapon=0 this will check if the player is not currently holding a weapon
plrhasweapon=1 this will check if the player is currently holding a weapon
plrhasweapon=2 5 this will check if the player has a weapon in weapon slot 5

*Added new FPI action inputmenu=x if x is = 1 then the game will go into a sort of "pause menu" state. Player's main game input will be frozen (walking,shooting,etc) but scripts and animations will still run and the mouse pointer hud will work
*Added new FPI action newhudy=x y this command will allow you to reposition a hud's y position. The hud is specified by x and the position is specified by y. EX: newhudy=myhud 50
*Added new FPI action newhudx=x y this command will allow you to reposition a hud's X position. The hud is specified by x and the position is specified by y. EX: newhudx=myhud 50
*Added new gunspec command holdtozoom=x if x is 1 then the player will have to hold down the right mouse button to stay zoomed

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 01:48 Edited at: 26th Sep 2011 02:49
Quote: "It would be nice to have better outdoor fps."

creating a shader for out door scenes and a not so bright and high detailed skymap can increase frame rate, i did my own and have gained a further 8 fps on exact same scene with no other changes.

Hockykid, i have been working on some tweeks for lighting, and yours sound perfect, and can't wait to purchase,
also, can you use the same memory dump seting without installing the Mod?

here is an image of a full size map with 420 large grass ents and 40 cliff's and a whole layer of rough snow ground and 4 soldiers alnong with 14 lights and also a load of bomb hole creaters.

Oh i almost forgot, i have a 6 snow decals running. which is in the distance.
Oh yeh, all the grass moves/sways as well!

fps 70 ish# but before tweeking fps was about 60.

so if i had your mod then could my fps reach into the 90's

I'am not GOD but i can make you see again by taking my fingers out of your eyes and i can make you walk again by taking your beer away, but if you take my beer you will not walk again
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, you probably are thinking that this has become "vaporware" because I haven't posted on here in a while:

This is actually quite the opposite, the past week or so I've been working on a new "feature". A pretty big one:

I've completely rewritten multiplayer, I "gutted" all the code for multiplayer and redid it using a different set of multiplayer functions and my own multiplayer library.

At the moment I've been trying to get it to basically match how FPSC's current multiplayer is (game-play wise), only have it be a ton more stable and smooth.

It is just about there, I need to add a few more little things (level repeating,"announcements", etc). So far, my new multiplayer is a TON more smooth and is actually now worth using. (no "waiting to join bug" either!)

The real benefit of me doing this is that it is all my code, so I know how to work around all of it - Which basically means you'll be seeing a lot more multiplayer features!

In the next few days I'll see if I can get a video up.

P.S. As for the light mapping feature, I gave Wolf a copy of Apex so he could test it with some of his levels that crash. He's reported back telling me that his levels now work

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 00:36
I can't believe how much you've done with this!
I am truly impressed with the 0MB lightmapping, we can add so much more to our levels now!

Mental Stability is over-rated!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 05:31
Quote: "P.S. As for the light mapping feature, I gave Wolf a copy of Apex so he could test it with some of his levels that crash. He's reported back telling me that his levels now work "

Indeed! Not only did you save my game from the loss of precious details, you also allowed me to rethink future mapdesign ideas that will have a lot more fancy lightmapping.

As for project APEX, I would say it is the greatest innovation FPSC saw since variables. A must have.

-Wolf

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys, TheK finally got that level to me. I've attached it to this post, if you try to run the level in FPSC (using 100 lightmapquality and 512 lightmaptextureszie) you'll notice it will crash.

I ran it using Project Apex and it worked! Below are some pictures of me walking around in the level.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 02:10
This is looking amazing. Now, I seem to have too much money lying around so how much and when can i get it?
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Hockeykid

Due to the nature of my project I use RPG Mod. I assume the two mods won't be compatible. How about setting up the 0MB lightmapping feature as a stand-alone app as many will be interested in purchasing this on its own?

Thanks

Eugene

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 13:03:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 13:03:13