Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:35 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 21:37
Perhaps instead of calling his pizza avatar childish and accusing him of hating you because you like "girl" things you should debate the real argument being discussed here:

"The only way someone could enjoy that show is if they have some sort of fetish or are somehow capable of finding extremely simple and one-dimensional morality stories interesting."

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:36 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 21:37
Quote: "Don't take this the wrong way, I just think the practise you guys engage in is unhealthy, and I sure hope you don't encourage your children to do the same."

I give up - *flips table*
You're an idiot - explain EXACTLY how it is unhealthy, and I just might be inclined to agree.

Quote: ""The only way someone could enjoy that show is if they have some sort of fetish or are somehow capable of finding extremely simple and one-dimensional morality stories interesting.""

I have nothing against "simple and one-dimensional morality stories". So that pretty much settles that part.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:39 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 21:40
Are you honestly going to tell us you watch it for the characters and the stories?

The characters are one dimensional and they are featured in one-dimensional stories aimed to teach simple lessons to children less than 6 years old...

Their songs are mind-numbingly awful and the art isn't even that interesting or novel. What is there to like?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:43
Quote: "I give up - *flips table*
You're an idiot - explain EXACTLY how it is unhealthy, and I just might be inclined to agree."

Are you serious? Are you trolling?

People are tortured and killed every day because of labels that are applied to them. It really doesn't help when people decide to label themselves in a way that identifies themselves as a group of people that enjoy watching a sub-par girl's TV show. It's irresponsible and ignorant. And this is besides the beef I have with the sexualised aspect of it.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:46
Oh so in reality - you just dont want me to end up dead? Aww, cute.

Quote: "The characters are one dimensional and they are featured in one-dimensional stories aimed to teach simple lessons to children less than 6 years old..."

The lessions I hardly watch it for - although I do find the world they've made up quite intruiging, and the characters are enjoyable to me - but then again, I didnt expect deep characters when I ventured into this.

Quote: "Their songs are mind-numbingly awful and the art isn't even that interesting or novel. What is there to like?"

This is entirely subjective and - since i dont expect you guys to even know what that word means, i'm not even going to discuss it ; )

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:49
Quote: "Oh so in reality - you just dont want me to end up dead? Aww, cute."

Well that's a mature and responsible way to approach the situation. I'm not so concerned for you, but for people that don't know any better.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:50 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 21:52
Quote: "The lessions I hardly watch it for - although I do find the world they\'ve made up quite intruiging, and the characters are enjoyable to me - but then again, I didnt expect deep characters when I ventured into this."

So.... why do you watch it?

Quote: "This is entirely subjective "

If this were a question of subjectivity then I wouldn\'t be butting in here. (I don\'t for example butt into posts about Andy Worhol and call him a crap artist.)

I guess I\'ll just say this point blank since you aren\'t picking up the subtle hints. I\'m outright accusing all you bronies of getting sexual gratification out of this show and I would like to hear a response to this accusation so that I can reform my opinion of bronies as a whole if necessary.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:54
Quote: "Well that's a mature and responsible way to approach the situation. "

Can't say I agree. In the end of the day it's up to me to choose what I like, and you really don't get any say in it~~

Quote: "So.... why do you watch it?"

Pretty much told you now didnt I? The Equestria world is enjoyable, I like the characters, one sided as they may be - voice acting is great and for me, the music works. I'm a big fan of cartoons in general - so the only difference here, to a Disney movie would be the demographic - in which i couldnt give to cans about.

*sigh* been quite a while since i had to deal with THIS now

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 21:59
That's not entirely fair.

I love Disney movies. For example, I think Sleeping Beauty is a masterpiece. The songs are a masterpiece, the art is awe-inspiring, and while the story is a rehash it's interesting enough to not destroy the experience.

MLP has none of these qualities or at the very least, it is a very subpar version Disney cartoons.

That said, I can respect a cartoon-lovers argument. I love many a crap computer movie, for example. That said, I don't like a kids computer movie and then sexualize all the characters and/or hang out with people that sexualize it... This whole thread and the brony community is disturbing to me.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 22:03
Quote: " love many a crap computer movie, for example. That said, I don't like a kids computer movie and then sexualize all the characters and/or hang out with people that sexualize it"

Never said I ever did this now did I?
I love the SHOW.

I love MOST of the community

but I STAY AWAY from the sexy part of the community.

Softscale
Years of Service
User Offline
...I started watching it as an animation student because I enjoyed the animation style and quality. I continued watching it because along with the simple themes and often predictable outcomes, it was a well-made production with a positive message. I will continue to watch it for these reasons regardless of the reasons other people enjoy watching it and the opinions of those who do not enjoy watching it. I cannot (and would not) speak on behalf of anyone who watches the show with sexual intentions any more than I could justify the existence of rule-34 for any other franchise; but on the same note I am not so insecure about my sexuality as to interest myself in the sexual preferences of strangers, let alone pass judgment on them, let alone demand a response to that judgment.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 22:12 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 22:19
Quote: "I love MOST of the community

but I STAY AWAY from the sexy part of the community.
"

But that's the whole thing isn't it. You can't stay away from it completely. Even here on TGC where the rules are extremely clear on inappropriate content we have sexualized images that surely you saw as well as anybody else viewing this thread. There was even somebody that posted a satirical comic with lifelike horses in typical MLP sexualized positions.

This is the community you're engaging with. It is an integral part as far as I can tell.

@Softscale

To be fair I demanded a response because instead of staying on topic Quik kept ignoring the debate at hand and instead attacking Sed personally.

I'm sorry to have played the part of internet police, but TGC is apparently not concerned with the sexualization of kids tv shows on their forums, that's really my only gripe. My intent on this thread is to bring that point out and I'm willing to have a debate on this topic instead of arbitrarily deciding that all fans are sexual deviants.

So thank you for your response. I honestly thought that there was no merit to this show but it's clear some people see things in it that I don't. Fair enough.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 22:18
Quote: "This is the community you're engaging with. It is an integral part as far as I can tell."

I engage with the guys on TGC - but obviously not because they post sexy time pics of ponies - I myself, do not like those - doesnt mean I dislike the people.

If I didnt KNOW the people here - in SOME way shape or form, i wouldnt engage with them - obv.
I dont go to 4 chan - or ponychan for tha tmatter ; )

no, i like the music people make - and some fanart is REALLY really cool, most people are nice aswell - and as a whole, it's great. It's just the fact that it's a MASSIVE community, and that - sadly, leads to the "nakud ponies" being "more common" than other commúnites - but that's just because it's larger, and it makes it SEEM like it's a bigger portion..

Atleast that's how I feel about it. Well well

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 02:09
Even though I do not personally have an interest in this kind of thing I do have a friend who has a social network based on it and of course.. its filled with pics of ponies and everything else to do with the Friendship is Magic show.
I honestly see nothing wrong with it because even though it was meant for kids, apparently there are plenty of adults who love it or watch it for one reason or another.

they will never know what bit them until its too late...
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 05:34
Quote: "[quote]Is it now also forbidden for me to wear pink shirts, because it's a female color?"

Who said it's a female colour? That's stereotyping.
Quote: "Or maybe i'm not allowed to have my hair in a ponytail anymore"

Again, stereotyping.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just think the practise you guys engage in is unhealthy, and I sure hope you don't encourage your children to do the same.[/quote]
So, all of that is stereotyping, yet saying that all bronies are sexually attracted to the characters isn't? I am repulsed by the r34 side of the community myself.

-TZK

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 11:59 Edited at: 30th Sep 2013 15:21
Wow, a lot happened when I was asleep. I'm going to answer the subject that was pressed the most:

Quote: "I\'m outright accusing all you bronies of getting sexual gratification out of this show and I would like to hear a response to this accusation so that I can reform my opinion of bronies as a whole if necessary."

Quote: "The only way someone could enjoy that show is if they have some sort of fetish"

I cannot begin to understand what must be going on in your mind to make such an accusation, nor will I understand how insecure one must be about their own sexuality to care about the answer, but here's the short version: The bronies who get sexual gratification out of this show are severely in the minority.

Why do I watch the show? Because I like the fandom.

Bronies (from my own observations) have some unique properties severely lacking in our society today: They don't suffer from low self-esteem issues. They instantly accept who you are and what you do, no matter how absurd (this is the whole "love and tolerate" aspect). They exist to have fun.

I'm a person who has actively been participating in brony meetups and conventions all over the world (Germany, France, America, Switzerland, Australia). The reason why I watch this show has nothing to do with sexual preference, it really only boils down to one little word: Fun.

A lot of their culture is obviously tied to this show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", and I watch it so I can understand insider jokes, and just be part of this fandom. Everyone I've met thus far has been an interesting person; they all have a unique spin to themselves, they make jokes, they do funny things together... Why wouldn't you want to be part of this?

I feel r34 needs to be kept separate from bronies. I consider r34 to be less a part of bronies, and more a part of furries (it is, after all, a sub-category of furries).

So...
Mod Edit: Honestly TC, you are your own worst enemy

TheComet

Can I bother you for a glass of water? I'm feeling a little horse.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 13:17
That picture is perfect thecomet :3

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 13:49
Quote: "That picture is perfect thecomet :3"

Haha I second that

-TZK

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 14:30
You guys are very defensive. I have no desire to know your sexual desires in so much as I'm concerned about the sexualization of a children's show being supported by TGC. I don't go on a furries board and start accusing all of them of being sexual deviants, for example. I'm doing it here because clearly there's some kind of sexual element to this show and considering I personally see no particular merit in this show for a grown adult I am slightly concerned about TGC supporting the brony community here.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 14:44
Quote: "You guys are very defensive. I have no desire to know your sexual desires in so much as I'm concerned about the sexualization of a children's show being supported by TGC. I don't go on a furries board and start accusing all of them of being sexual deviants, for example. I'm doing it here because clearly there's some kind of sexual element to this show and considering I personally see no particular merit in this show for a grown adult I am slightly concerned about TGC supporting the brony community here."

I think it's blatantly obvious due to this post in of itself as to why we're being defensive.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 14:50 Edited at: 30th Sep 2013 14:52
Quote: "You guys are very defensive. I have no desire to know your sexual desires in so much as I'm concerned about the sexualization of a children's show being supported by TGC. I don't go on a furries board and start accusing all of them of being sexual deviants, for example. I'm doing it here because clearly there's some kind of sexual element to this show and considering I personally see no particular merit in this show for a grown adult I am slightly concerned about TGC supporting the brony community here."

Fair enough. If it comes to the point where sexually suggestive material is posted on TGC, then it is only fair that the user responsible is dealt with accordingly (as stated in the AUP).

I do not, however, agree with generalising all bronies to be sexual deviants (that's just silly), nor do I agree with the notion of possibly banning the subject My Little Pony as a whole from this forum, just because a minor part of its fandom could potentially be sexual. Or have I misunderstood your intentions?

As stated before, MLP for me means having fun, and that's all there is to it.

TheComet

Can I bother you for a glass of water? I'm feeling a little horse.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 15:07 Edited at: 30th Sep 2013 17:43
Quote: "TGC is apparently not concerned with the sexualization of kids tv shows on their forums"

Wrong. Show me some links please (via email), I'll deal with this now.

TheComet, you have just posted something that also breaches the AUP. Not clever considering your recent activity.

I'll look back through the history of this thread and deal with the rest. From now on though this thread is locked. People liking a kids show about ponies is fine. Anything against the AUP and direct flaming is being hammered now.

Edit: TheComet has been banned. I'm personally sorry for having to do this as he has helped a lot of people in the past (including me) but the AUP is there for a reason and he has crossed it too many times. Let it be a warning to everyone else that we will not tolerate explicit or adult material even if you think it's ok.

Different does not mean not equal: a = b

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 18:00:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 18:00:26